I just bought a DS Lite from Target! Update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the CC website, numerous stores in the San Francisco East Bay Area have the DS Lite in stock: Hayward, Concord, Emeryville, Sunnyvale, Pittsburg. I picked mine up in Dublin today on my lunch break. Good stuff.

Edit: Not that it really matters that much anymore, considering the damn thing comes out in 3 days.

[quote name='Billservo']What's so "BULLSHIT" about what I wrote? I just reported my experience and speculated on the likeliness of Nintendo being able or willing to follow through with what was claimed.[/quote]

I was commenting on what the guy at EB Games said to you. The comment at the end was stated IF you was telling the truth. Wich I do believe you.

[quote name='Tyvan']Where you at Chalk? zipcode?
It shows me none in stock all around my area =([/quote]

portland OR. I did get my yesterday evening so it might of changed.

[quote name='Billservo']Took my DS Lite into an EB Games to use the download station. One of the guys working there had a laugh because Sears "won't get anymore shipments of DS Lites" for breaking the street date. Somehow Nintendo has to identify the particular stores in the chain and make sure those stores don't get more product to sell... Of course they have to do this for all the Targets and Wal-marts out there as well... Sounds like an easy and worthwhile thing for Nintendo to spend their time on.[/QUOTE]

Anybody else notice that the guys spouting off about Nintendo bringing the hammer down on a big box retailer are always GameStop or EB employees? Does this surprise anyone? It's a given in these stores that the guys behind the counter are going to be talking out of their ass. To them, speculation and assumption is just as valid as truth. Take anything they say with an ocean of salt.

[quote name='Tybee']Anybody else notice that the guys spouting off about Nintendo bringing the hammer down on a big box retailer are always GameStop or EB employees? Does this surprise anyone? It's a given in these stores that the guys behind the counter are going to be talking out of their ass. To them, speculation and assumption is just as valid as truth. Take anything they say with an ocean of salt.[/QUOTE]

The guy at my Gamestop made it sound like it was Target's corporate offices that allowed the early release of the system rather than a few confused employees. I think they're just bitter that they're losing out on some sales by sticking to the release date.

[quote name='rupan_sansei']The guy at my Gamestop made it sound like it was Target's corporate offices that allowed the early release of the system rather than a few confused employees. I think they're just bitter that they're losing out on some sales by sticking to the release date.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, kinda looks wierd that I have to wait till the 11th while others get their DS's.

Gameshop should hook us up with a freebie for making us wait (we could of just cancelled our pre-order and took our money elsewhere :D )

BIG thanks to ChalkBoy for his CC tip.

Just picked one up at the CC on Arden. The systems are not out on the shelf, but I just asked about it and they snagged one for me from the back -no questions asked.

:cold: [quote name='NeoFrank1']According to the CC website, numerous stores in the San Francisco East Bay Area have the DS Lite in stock: Hayward, Concord, Emeryville, Sunnyvale, Pittsburg. I picked mine up in Dublin today on my lunch break. Good stuff.

Edit: Not that it really matters that much anymore, considering the damn thing comes out in 3 days.[/QUOTE]
i went to circuit city in richmond,cali. at first the employee had no idea what a ds lite was (trying to cover up that they didnt have em) but another friendly associate went to the back and brought it out. cool i was halfway there!! until a yatch who gave me the evil eye said, Youre not supposed to sell those till Sunday, didn't u read the email. darn denied!
went next door to gamestop and saw a line up of ppl. looks like they got their dslites early and were selling em. but apparently no. they were just busy. no lites till sunday there.
any other bay area ds lite finds?

[quote name='Tyvan']Where you at Chalk? zipcode?
It shows me none in stock all around my area =([/QUOTE]

Many CC's won't have them in until the last minute plus we have been told explicitly that they are not to be sold until Sunday.

Folks its just a few days away. Trust me.. its worth the wait. :D

[quote name='Demolition Man']Many CC's won't have them in until the last minute plus we have been told explicitly that they are not to be sold until Sunday.

Folks its just a few days away. Trust me.. its worth the wait. :D[/quote]

So most CC's have not even received shipments of DS Lites yet?

Also, since it sounds like you work there, do you have any idea about how many units you will be receiving? Since I've given up on finding a Lite early, I am now planning for what to do to get one. I can either order online and hope for it to be shipped on the 11th, or try to go to CC or BB on Sunday to snatch one. I'd just hate to come back empty handed yet again, especially after they are officially released.

[quote name='erunama']So most CC's have not even received shipments of DS Lites yet?[/quote]

They will be getting them over the next few days. This is namely to advoid any potential early selling of the units.

Also, since it sounds like you work there, do you have any idea about how many units you will be receiving? Since I've given up on finding a Lite early, I am now planning for what to do to get one. I can either order online and hope for it to be shipped on the 11th, or try to go to CC or BB on Sunday to snatch one. I'd just hate to come back empty handed yet again, especially after they are officially released.

I won't know how many my location is getting until tommorow. Your best bet is to be outside CC when they open on Sunday. Plus CC has the free accessory kit as well. Yeah its just a basic pouch for storing the DS and a screen cleaner but hey - free is free.

[quote name='Demolition Man']They will be getting them over the next few days. This is namely to advoid any potential early selling of the units.

I won't know how many my location is getting until tommorow. Your best bet is to be outside CC when they open on Sunday. Plus CC has the free accessory kit as well. Yeah its just a basic pouch for storing the DS and a screen cleaner but hey - free is free.[/QUOTE]

Better than what Gamestop is offering. Lol.

djago: around what time did you hit up that Target? Also, what did the electronics dude look like, if you can remember? I may try driving down to that one tomorrow. If the same electronics guy is there, I should probably just be able to ask him directly.

And congrats!

no problem I posted as soon as I walked in the door. my recipt reads as such
9:00pm on the dot but I was there dancing with them for mabey 10 minuets.

WARNING: fuck POLITICAL CORRECTNESS

the first guy (in shoes) was a gay(as in homo sexual) black guy and the dude in electronics was a semi short,(I think) blonde haired white guy.
there were a few hispanic guys kind of sneaking around in the dvd rows and I think there was a fat guy. ALL of these people saw me handle the ds lite and NO ONE said shit . check the shoe isle and look for the gay guy.
REMEMBER to say you called and spoke to someone who told you they were not in the case and were in the back. once they have the dpci they can not give you the wrong ds (the numbers don't match) and who knows after tonight they might have put these sexy bitches on the shelves.

ps. this is a very very big target (but only one store room) look around first find your mark (homo or not) and all should be good.peace.

[quote name='rupan_sansei']The guy at my Gamestop made it sound like it was Target's corporate offices that allowed the early release of the system rather than a few confused employees. I think they're just bitter that they're losing out on some sales by sticking to the release date.[/quote]

DING DING DING DING!

A winner is you!

[quote name='Demolition Man']Many CC's won't have them in until the last minute plus we have been told explicitly that they are not to be sold until Sunday.

Folks its just a few days away. Trust me.. its worth the wait. :D[/QUOTE]

Hey Demo Man, do you know if there will be enough promo Mario Bundle DS Sleeve Kits to go around at CC for the whole day Sunday or will they be in limited quantities?

I spoke with a manager at the Best Buy here in State College, PA. I was asking if there might be a way to pre-order the DS Lite. No dice. He did say they have around 20 in the back ready to go on the shelves for when the store opens at 11am on Sunday. He added that they might get more on the truck tomorrow (Friday).

Eew, only 20? At least Target and WalMart (at least the North Atherton location) hasn't put any out on the shelves yet. Not sure about Circuit City, though.

I wonder if WalMart will put their stock out at Midnight, Sunday.

Actually, after looking at opening times for the various stores here, this could really work out:

Walmart: 24 hours
Circuit City: 10am
Best Buy: 11am
Target: Noon

Not sure what time EB Games opens. I assume around Noon.

djago: Thanks for your help. I'm kind of debating when to go. I may go tomorrow morning to see if someone put them out on the shelf, and maybe to try getting someone to grab one for me. But, I also don't want to try my luck and have word get out (if the night people didn't have any signs or memos, I'd hate for an early morning failure to tip them off).

So, I could wait until tomorrow night, but it could also be a waste of time since it could be a whole new set of workers. Plus, the store is a bit far for just a casual trip. Ah, whatever, I'll give it a shot. I'd really like the DS for a car trip on Saturday... but, more importantly, I just want to get so that all my previous work was not in vain :D

well I can't recommend a time but I can attest the general mood I got was that of absolute ignorence. no one knew anything so I would say go for it just stay calm and don't let them take the conversation to anything but your objective.peace

[quote name='kloda']I spoke with a manager at the Best Buy here in State College, PA. I was asking if there might be a way to pre-order the DS Lite. No dice. He did say they have around 20 in the back ready to go on the shelves for when the store opens at 11am on Sunday. He added that they might get more on the truck tomorrow (Friday).

Eew, only 20? At least Target and WalMart (at least the North Atherton location) hasn't put any out on the shelves yet. Not sure about Circuit City, though.

Actually, after looking at opening times for the various stores here, this could really work out:

Not sure what time EB Games opens. I assume around Noon.[/quote]

I thought all Targets opened at 8...even on Sunday. They do around here.

[quote name='Tyvan']I thought all Targets opened at 8...even on Sunday. They do around here.[/QUOTE]

I can't imagine the riots that would ensue if things didn't open in the NoVA region at 8 and stay open until 10 or 11.

It always takes me off guard when I go home to PA and things don't open until 11 or later on weekends.

[quote name='kloda']I spoke with a manager at the Best Buy here in State College, PA. I was asking if there might be a way to pre-order the DS Lite. No dice. He did say they have around 20 in the back ready to go on the shelves for when the store opens at 11am on Sunday. He added that they might get more on the truck tomorrow (Friday).

Not sure what time EB Games opens. I assume around Noon.[/quote]

I have no life, so I'm going to my local WalMart on Saturday night near midnight and makin' 'em sell me a DS Lite. so there!!! Who's with me?

Seriously. Does anyone know if they are selling them at midnight on Sunday morning? Who's actually gonna wait there for one.

I would if I hadn't preordered and there was a 24 hr Wal-Mart near me. Since neither are true, I'll be getting mine around 11 am Sunday.

-HM

[quote name='djago'] WARNING: fuck POLITICAL CORRECTNESS

the first guy (in shoes) was a gay(as in homo sexual) black guy and the dude in electronics was a semi short,(I think) blonde haired white guy.
there were a few hispanic guys kind of sneaking around in the dvd rows and I think there was a fat guy. ALL of these people saw me handle the ds lite and NO ONE said shit . check the shoe isle and look for the gay guy.
REMEMBER to say you called and spoke to someone who told you they were not in the case and were in the back. once they have the dpci they can not give you the wrong ds (the numbers don't match) and who knows after tonight they might have put these sexy bitches on the shelves.

ps. this is a very very big target (but only one store room) look around first find your mark (homo or not) and all should be good.peace.[/QUOTE]

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RAAAAAACIST!!!

Sorry. Couldn't help it. :roll:

I ordered mine online through Sears last week. The first email confirmation I got was that it would be ready to pickup on the 7th. I was like "Sweet!" The 7th comes and before I make it out there I get another email saying they pushed it back, and it will now be ready to pick up on the 9th (today). I was a little bummed, but I still figured, hey the 9th is only a couple days away, still early, no biggie. The guys at Sears also called me that night to tell me that it would be ready to pick up on the 9th. I said thanks for letting me know and went about my biz. Well, yesterday I get ANOTHER email saying that it won't be ready to pick up until the 14th now. I was pissed. The 14th?! That's crazy when I can go anywhere else and pick one up Sunday. I waited for them to call me and confirm so I could bitch them out, but they never called. So I figured today I'd print out the email confirmation that said to pick up on the 9th, and went out to Sears to see if I could still get it and if not, flip shit. The merchandise pickup machine said that it would be available the 7th! I called for help and showed the guy the email that said the 9th and the machine saying the 7th. He said he'll check on it and be right back. I'm figuring this is a 50/50 now. They surely have them in the back if they called to let me know I could pick it up today. After waiting for 15-20 minutes this other guy comes out and tells me that it won't be in until the 14th. I said that's unacceptable. I had ordered it a week ago, and they already pushed the date back once and that they actually called me Wednesday to confirm pickup today. He gave me attitude like I was making that up. "Really, who called you?" he asked. That pissed me off. How the fuck should I know who called me? I told him it was somebody at this store that called me. I whipped out my phone and showed him the call history so I could prove it and give the little prick the exact time. He says dismissively, "Well sorry, they didn't know what they were talking about." I said that's bs and I wanted to cancel my order. They put the credit back on my card and I walked the hell out of that place for good. In all honesty, even if they had said to pick up on the 11th, I still would have cancelled the order. There was absolutely no call for acting like that. Don't know what they're talking about indeed. Get your shit straight before you call a guy. Effen prick.

[quote name='djago']well I can't recommend a time but I can attest the general mood I got was that of absolute ignorence. no one knew anything so I would say go for it just stay calm and don't let them take the conversation to anything but your objective.peace[/quote]

Man, I got so close there this morning. Found a lady in the back close to the stock room (next to electronics). Gave her my present story, told her the inventory number, and she looked it up and confirmed it was a DS Lite (maybe they changed this... I remember others saying that it simply rang up as a DS at Target). Then, she was walking to the stock room to get it for me... as she walked, she kept reading the screen on her gun. Halfway there, she stops...

"Ohhhhh.... the date on this says the 11th, we can't sell it yet." Sure enough, she shows me the screen, and it has "061106" under "Start." Damn.

Since it's already Friday and this was my last attempt, I tried to salvage it by telling her a friend came in yesterday and got it no problem. She was a little more intrigued then, but rather than going along and helping a poor soul like me out, she called her manager (damn... OVER :bomb:). The manager, of course, said we couldn't sell them because of fines blah blah blah.

Oh well. I really wanted it for my trip tomorrow, but I guess it was at least fun (and frustrating) trying. It sounds like this story is going to be on high alert for the next day and a half now... maybe they'll finally put some signs on the boxes ;)

On the upside, I finally got to see a DS Lite demo unit. Pretty snazzy looking.

Denied again today.

Tried Target this morning-- gave an older woman in the video section with the scan gun the stock number, and she looked it up no problem. Then she wrote on a piece of paper 2 series of numbers and said that they had them in two different locations in the stock room, and that I should go give the paper to another guy standing over by the phones and he would grab one for me.

So after I thanked her and asked her her name I walked over to the section she told me to and found the guy she was talking about and explain that I was told that he could get the item for me. He nods and says "ok" and disappears into the storeroom.

I bided my time looking at cellphone earpieces on the racks, and then a few minutes later he comes back and says he can't get one for me, blah, blah, blah...street date of the 11th...blah, blah, blah....

I told him I thought they were already selling them, and he calls his manager over who was clueless ("I don't work in electronics" she said), who then tells him to call the store that had already broken the street date to see if the go-ahead had been given to sell them.

He tries to call Newport News for about 15 minutes but can't get through for some reason, so he calls another store (Chesapeake I think) who said nope, street date still on, so he wouldn't sell me one.

F it.

I got a GB Micro cheap to play on my trip out Saturday night, and I'll just pick up a Lite Sunday somewhere on the other coast.

Dunno if I'll keep the micro or not afterwards.

[quote name='Sk8erlink7']Does anybody know what time EB Games opens? I'd like to go get my DS Lite as soon as possible on Sunday.[/QUOTE]
I think almost all of them are 11 on Sundays.

[quote name='djago']is it me or did again some (mainly my ) posts just dissapear?

well whatever. erunama very sorry to hear about your experience. they must have changed something in their system and my bad if it was due to me.
(thought it would have the opposite effects) well only 2 days now.
the time you spend with it when you get it will outdue any time you missed on your trip.peace.[/quote]

I guess the higher ups didn't like your description of the Target sales staff :lol:

I don't think they changed anything... just a matter of getting the right person at the right time. If that woman I got just kept walking and didn't completely analyze everything her gun said, I'd have been golden. Oh well!

[quote name='Demolition Man']I won't know how many my location is getting until tommorow. Your best bet is to be outside CC when they open on Sunday. Plus CC has the free accessory kit as well. Yeah its just a basic pouch for storing the DS and a screen cleaner but hey - free is free.[/quote]
Any other stores giving out free stuff with the Lite? I know Gamecrazy gives you 12 free rentals at hollywood.

[quote name='erunama']Also, since it sounds like you work there, do you have any idea about how many units you will be receiving? Since I've given up on finding a Lite early, I am now planning for what to do to get one. I can either order online and hope for it to be shipped on the 11th, or try to go to CC or BB on Sunday to snatch one. I'd just hate to come back empty handed yet again, especially after they are officially released.[/QUOTE]

Okay now that I can speak officially it looks like most CC's are getting roughly 10-15 units depending on demographics of the area and what not. You can also try and order one online for in store pickup.

[quote name='Tricky']Does anyone know about how many systems places like Walmart will have instock?[/QUOTE]
Call your store they should tell you.

[quote name='pie man']Does anyone know of Target will open up early for the release of the Lite?[/QUOTE]

Your best bet would be to take spoo's advice and call them.

[quote name='pie man']Does anyone know of Target will open up early for the release of the Lite?[/QUOTE]

It doesn't hurt to call, but this is Target, not EB or Best Buy. I'm highly doubt they'd open a huge discount center to sell off 20 DS Lites. However, in my neck of the woods, Targets open by 8 or 9 AM depending on the store, so I consider that pretty early on a Sunday. I'll be at mine around 7:45 AM.

[quote name='kdelane']does anyone know if those $15 off a $100 purchase coupon works with the dslite at circut city?[/quote]

Check the small print, it seems to vary with these coupons. It will list the excluded items, but in the past we HAVE used one before actually ON a DS. :cool:

It was 10% off $100 or more though.

So has anybody called EB or Gamestop to see if there selling them early. There site shows that the stores have them.

The two Gamestops I visited earlier today were not selling them. One said tomorrow and the other has sold out their first shipment so they didn't know when you'd be able to walk in and pick one up.

Anyone tried calling any Wal*Marts in their area? I was planning on swinging by one tonight after hitting the bars, but the one nearest said they hadn't received them and the other said "October" and are obviously confused. They sold the PSP at midnight, so I was hoping they'd sell the Lite then, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back