I only gOTT $215 left after getting fired?!!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='guinaevere']The impossible happened.

Went with Cyric to the Rifftrax replay of Manos at a theater last night, and one of the bracelets he had given me fell off. I put them on before leaving the car, and noticed it was gone when I was brushing my teeth in the ladies room. Double-traced my steps, even checked under my car in case it fell off right as I got out of the car. No luck.

Called the theater this morning and described it (it's one of a set of three simple silver wire bracelets). Was put on hold for a minute then another man answered and asked, does it look like blahblahblah. YES!!! That's the one! They're holding it for me until I return next thursday.

Never EVER have I been lucky like that. It's just a cheapy bracelet, but it means a lot to me.[/QUOTE]
Very nice.

Where I live, if you drop a booger or even a terd on the floor, someone will snatch it.

When my daughter's iPod was taken it actually made it to lost and found. Someone, just a 1/2 hour later, claimed it without verifying they could unlock it or describing the home screen- the nice old lady at the front desk didn't know any better.

It's well known that most lost and founds are not well regulated and the people staffing them do not have a lot of common sense. I knew of guys who would just go to lost and found to claim random shit. Hell, I went to lost and found once to find something that I lost, and they basically just brought out a box of crap and said, "Is your thing here?" It wasn't, but damn, it's like a grab bag for those in the know.

Off to work for this weekend. Just not feeling it though. Hopefully it'll be slow enough that I can read my book or something.
Just a very gray, meh, sort of day.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']I saw the original run of that. Super funny right?[/QUOTE]
very super funny. when we saw that the next fathom rifftrax was going to be manos, I was concerned it wouldn't be near as good as the mst version. it was.

what's awesome is that my hunny likes the rifftrax events so much he actually wanted to see the replay. after however many years we've been together and knowing him for nine year's I still can't read when he's happy about something or just tolerating it for my sake. but when I told him that they would be replaying Plan 9 (the only one i've missed) and Manos, he not only was on board for Plan 9, but mentioned he'd enjoy seeing manos again.

my heart got all happy. XD we don't have a ton of 'likes' in common. so for him to actively enjoy one of my quirky things is thrilling.

sorry about the double post. but not sorry enough to do anything about it.

sorry to hear that h-bringer. that's ultra crappy of someone to do.

over the years, I lost my mom's high school ring while skiing. not kidding, I tried retracing everywhere I skied when I finally noticed. I even called after and then when the snow melted to no success.

and a bracelet my mom had -just- got for me on an indian reservation fell off the first day back at school. lost it in homeroom. by second period I noticed and went back to first period and homeroom. the teachers and classes all looked for me. a couple days later somehow it was reported who found it but she 'didn't have it any longer.' we went to the principals office (prolly bc I was crying.) and she shrugged and said she decided she didn't like it so she threw it away.

she was one of the class tramps who was always in detention. she said she was sorry, if her mom ever gave her anything, she'd cry about losing it too. I still can't decide if she had it or not.

but to this day, I still feel guilty about losing both things.

Started playing Zelda TP. pretty good game. not the best rpg but its ok. I hope it catches my attention enough to where i can finish it within the month because i played a link to the past and stopped for a month and forgot what i was even doing.

It's too early for them to ditch physical media entirely. Don't be surprised if we see day and date digital releases though. (The Wii U is already doing it)

[quote name='Maklershed']I sincerely doubt they'd do that so soon. Maybe the next gen after this one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I bet they give you a choice of physical or digital and then slowly phase it out to just digital.

In some ways, I like having digital. No having to get up from the couch to switch games! No need to worry about to keep the physical packing 'pristine' to re-sell.

On the other hand, All Didg, No Phys means you can't do any re-selling or trading, and you won't ever be able to pick anything up used on the cheap.

Books, however I prefer physical. And used. Why pay $8 for a new paperback that I can find used for $3 or $4?

[quote name='eldergamer']Books, however I prefer physical. And used. Why pay $8 for a new paperback that I can find used for $3 or $4?[/QUOTE]

Because you're certain that someone didn't read the new one while they were taking a shit.

-

I got a Wii U Deluxe model yesterday. It didn't cost me anything (I actually came out $8 ahead) after trading in my PS3 and some other shit I never played. It seems pretty neat so far. Now I just have to wait for the good games to come out.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Get Little Inferno while it's on sale.[/QUOTE]

I've heard good things about it.

I'll ask you this, since you'll most likely know. I plan on picking up a PS3 again in late spring or summer. Once I start my PS+ subscription again, I'll still be able to play the free games I already downloaded, right?

[quote name='eldergamer']No need to worry about to keep the physical packing 'pristine' to re-sell.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because you can't fucking resell it. :lol:

BTW, I've been trying Dark Souls again. I've gotten much farther than last time, but the amount of soul grinding required leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Mornin.

Sunday was spent getting up early. Then taking a short nap before going into work. Where it was slow enough I was nearly able to finish my book.

In short, nothing of consequence happened. You didn't miss anything. Just skip Sunday, move on to Monday.

Tempting to stop by Wall Mart to check out the Lego clearance after reading the Lego deals thread here.

However, the rational part of my brain reminds me that Wal-Mart has little to no clearance, poor selection (PS2 sports games from 2005 for $19!). And going there just generally feel dirty inside and disturbed at the state of humanity.

[quote name='eldergamer']Tempting to stop by Wall Mart to check out the Lego clearance after reading the Lego deals thread here.

However, the rational part of my brain reminds me that Wal-Mart has little to no clearance, poor selection (PS2 sports games from 2005 for $19!). And going there just generally feel dirty inside and disturbed at the state of humanity.[/QUOTE]

I stopped by mine on a lark. They had one of the Harry Potter Lego sets on clearance (4736) and they had about 25 of them for an extra $2 off. :whee:
It did include dobby and a sock.
I didn't really expect to see any of the Friends sets, but I wanted to see if some of the avengers/marvel/dc ones might be had cheap.

Saw Zero Dark Thirty on Sunday. It's deserving of all the accolades. Great movie! Not that it's a shock. The Hurt Locker was fantastic too.

[quote name='crunchewy']Saw Zero Dark Thirty on Sunday. It's deserving of all the accolades. Great movie! Not that it's a shock. The Hurt Locker was fantastic too.[/QUOTE]

The only problem I have with the movie is the controversy. I mean to have the film makers come out and say that the film doesn't promote torture is a bunch of bullshit.
When half the movie is about torture and every lead character bitches out the end of torture and how it is a bad thing, then your movie is pro torture. One throwaway line about the intelligence errors made by America doesn't absolve the fact them from making a pro-torture movie.

I thought the movie was good, but I still like Hurt Locker more.

Probably old but:
mario-link-moon.gif

[quote name='CaseyRyback']The only problem I have with the movie is the controversy. I mean to have the film makers come out and say that the film doesn't promote torture is a bunch of bullshit.
When half the movie is about torture and every lead character bitches out the end of torture and how it is a bad thing, then your movie is pro torture. One throwaway line about the intelligence errors made by America doesn't absolve the fact them from making a pro-torture movie.

I thought the movie was good, but I still like Hurt Locker more.[/QUOTE]

I don't agree with that at all. I don't know about you, but those torture scenes were disturbing. Depicting torture when you know it happened, is not the same as promoting it. It also doesn't make a bullshit claim that torture can not provide useful intelligence at all. What it does do is make you ask yourself if the end result was worth it. I think you are misreading the film.

[quote name='crunchewy']I don't agree with that at all. I don't know about you, but those torture scenes were disturbing. Depicting torture when you know it happened, is not the same as promoting it. It also doesn't make a bullshit claim that torture can not provide useful intelligence at all. What it does do is make you ask yourself if the end result was worth it. I think you are misreading the film.[/QUOTE]

Depicting it is one thing, spending 60 percent of the movie on it is another. The argument about torture in this case is always going to end up boiling down to an ends justifying the means argument. Had they made this movie before Bin Laden died I would agree with more of your argument, but the end has a significant impact on how all other actions within the movie are framed.

That is why the hurt locker was a better movie to me. The context of the movie gave it a stronger platform for its argument.

The torture stuff was very disturbing. I don't really see how it could be viewed as promoting it. The fact is that torture was part of this story, a significant part, and this movie shows that. It makes you feel very uncomfortable. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I wonder if manthing got to see Prince's new band yet. That screwdriver song he just put out is pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9a6WwT9LNJw

The hat he wears in that video is the dopest hat I have ever seen.[/QUOTE]

Eh. Way to simple lyrically (for Prince) and he cuts back to the refrain too early and too often. It was a little catch and might grow on me, though.
I really doubt mainstream radio will pick it up. The band looks like it's just a girls he found outside on a cold day on Minneapolis.

[quote name='crunchewy']The torture stuff was very disturbing. I don't really see how it could be viewed as promoting it. The fact is that torture was part of this story, a significant part, and this movie shows that. It makes you feel very uncomfortable. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.[/QUOTE]
Michael Moore wrote and interesting op-ed on it, and it was an interesting take- worth the read regardless of one's ideology.

[quote name='eldergamer']Eh. Way to simple lyrically (for Prince) and he cuts back to the refrain too early and too often.[/QUOTE]

I agree but I still like it. It will garner some radio play, however I foresee the hits1/20on20/pulse satellite channels playing the shit out of it. They love that top 40 stuff where the melody & hook grinds until it's dull. I haven't heard the rest of the album so I can't speak to it, but I would bet this was the "safer" and most radio friendly single to release.

Took the middle child to get a referral for an autism evaluation. She's no where near as autistic as her brother, but isn't quite normal either.

More on ZDT, there are some plot points discussed:

While I can understand why some people might not see the movie as pro-torture, the reading I took into it was that it was a pro-torture movie. Not only is a significant part of the movie focused on this aspect, but the torture doesn't have any repercussions on any of the individuals that commit it. Maya becomes completely desensitized to it and doesn't question it after she gets in the bubble. The main torture guy has a moment of reflection as he leaves, but it isn't about what he has done. It is a reflection about a fucking monkey and the change in the administration. Neither character is impacted negatively in any way. There is no metamorphosis or dramatic change that demonstrates the impact of torture. There are two scenes where vital information is given where torture wasn't used, but the threat and deception were all built around torture. There is also very little analysis done on a computer or shown grunt work depicted. The structure of the film is torture, terrorist attack, terrorist attack, less than two minutes of maybe we fucked up by just torturing guys, surveillance, dead Bin Laden. Chewy might be right about it forcing you to ask was it worth it, but the answer is always going to be yes. No one is going to say that killing Bin Laden wasn't worth it. That inherently ruins any anti-torture message they try and convey. They implicitly link torture to Bin Laden as the whole basis for how they catch him comes from torture.

Renner completely conveys the horrors of war and the impact it can have on a person in The Hurt Locker. Chastain is like fucking Gordon Freeman. She is a vessel and not a real character, even though she is based on a real person. She is just some stoic being that goes with the flow as long as she can get her man.

I agree with a lot of what was said in this blog post:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...bin-ladens-last-victory-over-america-20130116

Here's what I posted earlier, but put in the wrong thread.

From what you guys have been saying I don't see how that movie is pro-torture. Granted I haven't seen it, so I can't say from my own first hand knowledge.

[quote name='crunchewy']Well, you should see it. :) Really, the movie is pretty riveting from start to finish, even though you know the outcome.[/QUOTE]

That we can both agree on. I may not agree with some of the message of the movie, but it is a good movie. The raid on Bin Laden was well done.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']The single isn't teasing an album? That stinks. It felt very, Stones/Beatles/Kravitzy I'd like to hear more.[/QUOTE]

Why must you torture yourself over in the vs forum?

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Why must you torture yourself over in the vs forum?[/QUOTE]

Because I like it when Dr. Myke implies I am a racist-anti-Semite-GUHN-NUHT :twoguns:, much more subtle this time: (Paraphrasing) If i had the time I'd love to scour the Trayvon Martin shooting thread to see if you had anything to say there.

He put that bloody Gwinett county shooting bait on a hook and I bit, even posted that shit gawker link. #-o Should've just ignored it.

I had a decent amount of respect for that guy but scratch the surface & he's on par with with Msut, Dough and Clagk- just coats his rhetoric with a better PhD grade veneer and keeps the ad hominem subtle.

[quote name='eldergamer']Took the middle child to get a referral for an autism evaluation. She's no where near as autistic as her brother, but isn't quite normal either.[/QUOTE]
am I confused, or is there a link between autism and gluten -intolerance?

edit- found it, I was right. I'm no longer able to eat gluten thanks to hashimoto's thyroiditis. between you and I, all the bioengineering of the grains over the years (great intentions, we're feeding the world with much less energy use and money) are so strong (a grain that used to have say, 1measure of gluten/protein now has 500) and I think some of our bodies simply can't handle it.

obviously I'm no scientist. it only seems like we've created more problems by fixing others.

Just got back from my first cruise yesterday, it's crazy the kind of shit they can put on a boat. Would definitely go again, I feel like if you live within a reasonable drive of a port city it's an extremely affordable vacation for the value.

I never saw the appeal of a cruise. The best I can say for it is that I'm less likely (thought not entirely unlikely) to vomit than on a small boat.

My wife really wants to go on one of those disney cruises once the kids get a bit older. All of my friends say that it is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back