Ico/Shadow PS3 pre-order now available

I got both SOTC and ICO for the PS2 and both games are great, but i will probably end up getting the collection as well. These games kick ass

[quote name='mxpowar']I disagree. If developing for the PSP (with its lower dev costs) means that the series can continue, then they are actually saving the franchise from extinction.[/QUOTE]
Moving it to the PSP is more of an indication they're trying to make it more accessible for people. I think saving it from extinction is more or less an afterthought. I mean, we're talking about crazy Japanese people who buy these games like nobody's business.

[quote name='sadboy']Moving it to the PSP is more of an indication they're trying to make it more accessible for people. I think saving it from extinction is more or less an afterthought. I mean, we're talking about crazy Japanese people who buy these games like nobody's business.[/QUOTE]

Valkyria Chronicles sold rather poorly in Japan actually and the game has sold nearly 3 times more copies in N. America. The fact is, the first VC has sold less than a million copies worldwide since its release more than 2 years ago. That's quite a tragedy. Tell me, if you ran a company, and saw those sales figures, would you honestly put out a bigger budget game rather than a lower budget one that would be significantly less risk to your company? Think about it...We should be lucky we're even seeing a 3rd after these poor sales.

[quote name='sadboy']Moving it to the PSP is more of an indication they're trying to make it more accessible for people. I think saving it from extinction is more or less an afterthought. I mean, we're talking about crazy Japanese people who buy these games like nobody's business.[/QUOTE]

Valkyria Chronicles sold rather poorly in Japan actually. The fact remains that the first VC has sold less than a million copies since its release more than 2 years ago. That's quite a tragedy. We should be lucky we're even seeing a 2nd after these poor sales let alone a 3rd. Also, it looks like VC2 on the PS2 will overtake the original's lifetime numbers in Japan within a few months.

So tell me, if you ran a company, and saw those sales figures, would you honestly put out a bigger budget game rather than a lower budget one that would be significantly less risk to your company? Think about it...

[quote name='ssjmichael']Tell me, if you ran a company, and saw those sales figures, would you honestly put out a bigger budget game rather than a lower budget one that would be significantly less risk to your company?[/QUOTE]I'd put it out on the platform that isn't plagued with rampant piracy.

[quote name='Thrinn']I'd put it out on the platform that isn't plagued with rampant piracy.[/QUOTE]

I already pointed out that PSP sales is on pace to overtaking the original PS3 version's lifetime sales in Japan in much less time, thus showing it's a lower risk with more potential for profits. Sure piracy is a huge issue on the PSP, but in this case, it's not looking to be as detrimental as abysmal sales for a bigger budget PS3 version would be. Not to mention, Japan seems to love portable systems a lot more than home consoles, so why not put it on a system that it'd sell well on there.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Sure piracy is a huge issue on the PSP, but in this case, it's not looking to be as detrimental as abysmal sales for a bigger budget PS3 version would be. Not to mention, Japan seems to love portable systems a lot more than home consoles, so why not put it on a system that it'd sell well on there.[/QUOTE] The first sold twice as well in America as in Japan. The move to PSP seems to be a choice of willing to sacrifice the market with the stronger sales for the local market. Sure, you're cutting down on production costs on the PSP, but at the same time you're selling a $40 game instead of a $60 game, netting a smaller profit margin in the process.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I already pointed out that PSP sales is on pace to overtaking the original PS3 version's lifetime sales in Japan in much less time, thus showing it's a lower risk with more potential for profits.[/QUOTE]
The best data I could find was at vgchartz. In about 8 months of sales VC2 has moved 250K, averaging @ 31K a month. In 23 months VC1 has sold 930K, averaging @ 40K a month. Granted VC2 just came out here, but I don't see it bucking the trend so far.

Edit: To avoid further getting this thread off topic, I'll try to leave the VC chat at that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this article a while back and read some really interesting stuff about shadow of the colossus.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ico-and-shadow-of-the-colossus-emulated-in-hd

Especially these sentences.

"The engineers produced a close emulation of HDR lighting, tone-mapping and motion blur (including per-object - wow!). Astonishingly the SCE team even mimicked something approximating the look of the kind of fur pixel shaders seen in PS3 titles like LittleBigPlanet. Programmable pixel shaders were still in their infancy when Shadow of the Colossus was produced, and the PS2 hardware itself offers no support for them, so the inclusion of an equivalent effect within the game was all the more phenomenal."

"The terrain streaming mechanics, the brilliant physics and the shadowing systems were remarkable for their time. Indeed, Shadow of the Colossus even features character self-shadows and cloth simulation. There's also an outstanding implementation of volumetric fog..."

I'm not too informed on all this technical mumbo jumbo but am I right to assume that since the PS3 does support shaders and other advancements well beyond the PS2 that the HD remake will have these effects truly supported?

[quote name='Thrinn']I'd put it out on the platform that isn't plagued with rampant piracy.[/QUOTE]

The PSP has been a money tree for Japanese developers, and a quite a few Western ones who make good games.

Piracy is a given on many platforms, it doesn't kill anything though.

[quote name='lurkingsalt']I saw this article a while back and read some really interesting stuff about shadow of the colossus.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ico-and-shadow-of-the-colossus-emulated-in-hd

Especially these sentences.

"The engineers produced a close emulation of HDR lighting, tone-mapping and motion blur (including per-object - wow!). Astonishingly the SCE team even mimicked something approximating the look of the kind of fur pixel shaders seen in PS3 titles like LittleBigPlanet. Programmable pixel shaders were still in their infancy when Shadow of the Colossus was produced, and the PS2 hardware itself offers no support for them, so the inclusion of an equivalent effect within the game was all the more phenomenal."

"The terrain streaming mechanics, the brilliant physics and the shadowing systems were remarkable for their time. Indeed, Shadow of the Colossus even features character self-shadows and cloth simulation. There's also an outstanding implementation of volumetric fog..."

I'm not too informed on all this technical mumbo jumbo but am I right to assume that since the PS3 does support shaders and other advancements well beyond the PS2 that the HD remake will have these effects truly supported?[/QUOTE]

That's code. There's a good chance the answer is no, unless they decided to rewrite the code instead of the just porting it over (porting means finding the equivalent code for the PS3 side). Because rewriting can cause changes in structure (which can cause a chain reaction) or introduce bugs into the system... I'm really leaning towards no.

[quote name='mxpowar']I disagree. If developing for the PSP (with its lower dev costs) means that the series can continue, then they are actually saving the franchise from extinction.[/QUOTE]
Moving a franchise to a portable system is as good as dead to me regardless.

[quote name='GeddyThePolack']It's no longer listed on the website.:cry:[/QUOTE]
Doesn't matter, it'll be back when they officially announce it tomorrow.

[quote name='GeddyThePolack']It's no longer listed on the website.:cry:[/QUOTE]
Well, it's not as if most CAGs were gonna order it from Wally anyway. Especially with free shipping and no tax from Amazon or Newegg, depending on where you live, or even a possible trade-in deal with GS.

It's available for pre-order on Amazon now. Got it for $20 using my Halo credit. I wish they would have started it off at 36.99 though instead of full price. Hopefully Kmart will have a deal on it come release time.

[quote name='ShockandAww']It's available for pre-order on Amazon now. Got it for $20 using my Halo credit. I wish they would have started it off at 36.99 though instead of full price. Hopefully Kmart will have a deal on it come release time.[/QUOTE]
Nice, was checking for this the past couple days and they finally listed it.

[quote name='ShockandAww']It's available for pre-order on Amazon now. Got it for $20 using my Halo credit. I wish they would have started it off at 36.99 though instead of full price. Hopefully Kmart will have a deal on it come release time.[/QUOTE]
Dude, how did you even find this on Amazon? Do a search on the site for B002I0J5FG and nothing comes up. I tried to have a CSR add this to my order last night and they couldn't because nothing is found. Manually searching for the name itself comes up with nothing as well. So weird.

[quote name='nikkai']This may be the driving force for me upgrading my old 720p LCD TV to a 1080p! =P[/QUOTE]

I believe they stated that the game will run in 720p, not 1080.

Amazon still hasn't fixed w/e issue is stopping it from being found via search. Is there a way to report an issue with a product other than contacting them via email? Just seems that portal is used for customer interaction and might not reach the people that need to know there's an issue. They won't add this game to my order no matter what I do since they can't find it from an ASIN search. :\

[quote name='nikkai']This may be the driving force for me upgrading my old 720p LCD TV to a 1080p! =P[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I believe they stated that the game will run in 720p, not 1080.[/QUOTE]

Don't most games run in 720p? I think there are only a handful that run in true, native 1080p. Anyway, I doubt that there'd be a big difference between 720p and 1080p for a re-release of PS2 games even if they do have higher-res textures.

[quote name='rapsodist']Don't most games run in 720p? I think there are only a handful that run in true, native 1080p. Anyway, I doubt that there'd be a big difference between 720p and 1080p for a re-release of PS2 games even if they do have higher-res textures.[/QUOTE]

You are correct. There's only been a small handful of retail games that actually run in full 1080p. The only one I've encountered so far has been Metal Gear Solid 4.

[quote name='dallow']Gonna get a 3D tv for this.[/QUOTE]

Damn. I just joined the 1080p club back in March. I really don't want to upgrade to 3D so soon and pricey. But these games rock, I own both on PS2.

So wait.. has it been confirmed that the games will be in 1080p? Everything I've seen thus far only says HD (which could mean 720p).

bread's done
Back