IGN Responds to Cheapy...Not so good

I was beat to it but Hilary is the XBox section EIC, and has been with IGN since the Dreamcast days. They are pretty negative most of the time about Microsoft, saying the games are what is giving them the lead currently over Sony.

At the beginning of every episode, they read a list of all the listeners and message board subscribers whose XBox 360's died the previous week and have a moment of silence for them (hence why the podcast is called Three Red Lights.) They also make fun of Microsoft VP Jeff Bell by having one of those hotel/bank/office secretary table bells calling it Jeff Bell and anytime someone says anything like PR speak, they read a PR speak quote, or says slang trying to sound cool, they ring the bell.

On every podcast since CES, they have been criticizing Microsoft heavily on their continued backing of HD-DVD and saying this will be the PS3's year because everyone is going to buy it after Sony drops the price again so they get a next-gen game system and movie player in one box and Sony (in their eyes) will have the software and network to compete with Microsoft. They also say Microsoft should make XBox Live free because it's a ripoff, but they never will because people pay them for it.

They will also rant about 20 minutes on Lost, what's coming out for the Wii (even though there's a sepearate Wii podcast), talk about how much their podcasts sucks and say no one should be listening, or many other rants so I don't know how seriously you can take them. I can already hear Cheapy now, "it doesn't matter who this is because no one knows him as IGN XBox EIC Hilary Goldstein, people just think of him as faceless/nameless IGN writer who could be easily replaced and few would care."

I was an IGN Insider from Dec. 2000 until this month, mainly for their message boards. I miss the boards but most of the people I really liked are XBox Live friends and I like the community here much more. Our collective IQ is probably 5 times greater than IGN's subscriber base, although it outnumbers ours greatly. The IGN podcasts play to that subscriber base all the time. Listening to the vast majority of the emails they get makes me cry for our public education system. People email them like they're the ones making the games and complaining about what's not in them and they should add X into X game.

I'm so glad I've saved that $20-$25 per year now.

This ain't even news. I could give two shits about what IGN says about...anything, let alone be bothered to listen to whatever circle jerk they're calling a podcast.

nobody has ever called CheapyD a Xbox fanboy before... this is not news.
i agree with IGN's forecast of Xbox not having on paper a good lineup for 2008.

I think cheapy should not ignore this. First of all we all know he won't. Why? Because it's entertaining and he knows it. Remember the Penny Arcade Sucks episode? The ign stuff they aired was hilarious. This should be too. I don't think we should tell cheapy to ignore this when we know it's gonna be funny.

this ign episode will get to kotaku's maing page today, and destructoid....it's the little corporations against the giant corporations.....it's a war already declared first penny arcade, now cag, then what's next?

I don't listen to dudes that have the same name as my girlfriend.

Hahahaha! Good call!

But yeah, I'm just disappointed that Goldstein reacted like a immature little kid. (without even hearing Cheapy's comment himself) I mean....IGN ARE THE PROFESSIONALS! You would think they'd take a moment to listen to the comment!

Anyways, Cheapy, if you decide to go on IGN, please give them CAGHELL!!!!!!

is it from the same guy who was yelling at Penny-Arcade when PA criticized IGN about something? IGN needs to learn to be more professional but i guess that's too much for them. this is the reason why i don't listen to IGN's podcasts. the only one i listened to recently was Gamesages and it was because they had Shoe and Gerstmann on together which was awesome.

[quote name='LiK']is it from the same guy who was yelling at Penny-Arcade when PA criticized IGN about something? IGN needs to learn to be more professional but i guess that's too much for them. this is the reason why i don't listen to IGN's podcasts. the only one i listened to recently was Gamesages and it was because they had Shoe and Gerstmann on together which was awesome.[/quote]

no that was jeff not hilary lol

[quote name='sublime90']no that was jeff not hilary lol[/quote]

haha, okay, thanks. seems like they're all sensitive guys. :booty:

[quote name='Dunvane']I love CAG and CheapyD... but guys, c'mon.

The 360 podcast is great. It's the only other one I listen to on a consistent basis. Quit being so mad that they talked about Cheapy and calm the hell down.[/quote]
it could be great if they all act their age and become more professional. IGN is an established presence in this industry so they should be careful in bashing other people. they are being immature. they need to listen to that cagcast again and humiliate themselves.

[quote name='sublime90']hilary said "who's cheapy d?"[/quote]
its funny that you mention this. but the last i recall, people look are other peoples game review. but they dont look at their names or even gives a shit on whos reviewing what. so whos hilary again?

[quote name='phear3d']
its funny that you mention this. but the last i recall, people look are other peoples game review. but they dont look at their names or even gives a shit on whos reviewing what. so whos hilary again?[/quote]

he's one of the most hated reviewers on IGN, it's pretty funny how much he gets flamed whenever he reviews a new game :lol:

Their smart-mouth attitude is definately one of the reasons for their comments being more offensive. They show almost no respect for CAG and other sites. This is because they think so highly of themselves on their fake radio show with no quality whatsoever. They call themselves "professionals" yet they act completely childish, even compared to other IGN podcasts, such as Wii-k in review.

[quote name='dafoomie']DVD players and discs were selling like hotcakes when they came out, people were eager to move on from VHS. That isn't happening today, and those numbers support that conclusion.

The first year DVDs and DVD players were available in the US, 1997, they sold 2 million discs. The next year, they sold 7.2 million discs. By the time the PS2 had come out in 2000, 8.5 million DVD players had already been sold, most of them costing more than a grand a piece. This is what I call a "driving force" that propelled PS2 (which cost less than standalone DVD players at the time). Blu-Ray is simply not catching on at anywhere near the same rate that DVD did.

So yes, drop in the bucket. Its clearly not doing for the PS3 anything like what DVD did for the PS2. If anything, its PS3 thats helping the Blu-Ray format, which doesn't say much for how they're doing.[/QUOTE]
It didn't help that they had to fight a battle at retail with HD-DVD, whereas DVD had no competitor, unless you count Laserdisc, which no one ever does. HDTV adoption rates in the US are lagging and HD movie buyers are a subset of HDTV owners. Subscription movie services, legal and illegal movie downloads and copies are all taking a bite out of the pie from Blu-Ray. There's no way that Blu-Ray will ever come close to the success that DVD was. I can't think of any consumer electronics technology that has caught on and grown as fast.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Wow, an inter-feud. Boring, who cares. I don't go to IGN anymore since they were bought out by Fox/Rupert Murdoch. They've turned into crap for a long time. I urge anyone with common sense to boycott everything Fox/Mudorch related[/quote]
They were bought by News Corporation of which Murdoch is the chairman and CEO. Fox, 20th Century Fox and it's relations are also owned by NWS, but Fox does not own IGN, just as it doesn't own Barrons, Harper Collins, TV Guide or other NWS holdings.

But have fun, boycott if it makes you feel good.

This just in... CAGs have no sense of humor and are more sensative than a bunch of 13 year old girls on their first period.

I mean really people. As one poster said, it was clearly tongue in cheek. (And actually even if it was unintentional, it is a funny comment on the last couple of Cagcasts where some posters accused Cheapy of the same thing).

Also, Didn't Cheapy do the same a while back by comparing alexa results with some podcast that called him out? I like the CAGcast, I like the IGN podcasts but let's face it, neither have a monoply on maturity or are above name-calling.

Just listened to the clip and I'd have to agree that the guy was just joking around. Seems like his schtick is being upset at stuff and it was clearly only read to get him to respond in this way.

[quote name='shipwreck']Just listened to the clip and I'd have to agree that the guy was just joking around. Seems like his schtick is being upset at stuff and it was clearly only read to get him to respond in this way.[/quote]

Yep, it's just Hilary being Hilary. He's a jerk, but in a light-hearted way.

[quote name='radjago']It didn't help that they had to fight a battle at retail with HD-DVD, whereas DVD had no competitor, unless you count Laserdisc, which no one ever does. HDTV adoption rates in the US are lagging and HD movie buyers are a subset of HDTV owners. Subscription movie services, legal and illegal movie downloads and copies are all taking a bite out of the pie from Blu-Ray. There's no way that Blu-Ray will ever come close to the success that DVD was. I can't think of any consumer electronics technology that has caught on and grown as fast.[/QUOTE]
All true. I'm not criticizing Blu-Ray as much as I'm trying to point out that DVD was a sales phenomenon that we might not see again.

Even if it is tongue and cheek, I never liked hilary, and never will. and agree with Cheapy, while Blu-ray is a selling point of the PS3, it's nothing more than a feature. What will drive the sale of the PS3 will be it's exclusives, such as MGS 4 and Little Big Planet. Exclusives are always the system selling points of a system, always will be.

I thought this was just like when CheapyD and Wombat were joking about the PA guys eating each other's shit. It was just a joke - they also made a 1up joke about James Milke, new EIC of 1up "Video Games".

Besides, they call their podcast Three Red Lights and use a bell they call Jeff Bell, so really...

Geez, someone makes one off-the-cuff comment about Cheapy and the whole site goes up in arms.

Fact: Hilary Goldstein is a dick. Anyone who listens to the IGN podcasts on a regular basis knows this. It's how he copes with having a girl's name. However, part of his whole character is making a lot of sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek comments just to get listeners riled up. Sadly, 95% of everyone here seems to have taken the bait. Hilary's probably laughing his ass off at how many of you he got to download and listen to the Three Red Lights podcast.

I'm as anxious to hear Cheapy's response as the next guy, but some of you take the internetz way too seriously.

99.9% of all podcasts suck.

IGN as a website sucks and the IGN insider pay for free information sucks to.
Do not support IGN. I will not waste my time listening to a stupid IGN podcast.
Maybe IGNs podcast needs more hits and are trying to get cags to come and help them out?

I will wait until the next Cagcast is uploaded to hear about it.

Cagcast = Awesome.

Lighten up guys. As his fellow IGN editors stated themselves, that is Hillary being Hillary. The "To Catch An Editor" Podcast stated directly that riling up people and being an ass is perhaps how Hillary makes up for his name. That's people that work with him day in, day out.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Lighten up guys. As his fellow IGN editors stated themselves, that is Hillary being Hillary. The "To Catch An Editor" Podcast stated directly that riling up people and being an ass is perhaps how Hillary makes up for his name. That's people that work with him day in, day out.[/quote]

Ass or not, can anyone clear up whether or not he invited Cheapy onto the IGN podcast?

[quote name='cochesecochese']Ass or not, can anyone clear up whether or not he invited Cheapy onto the IGN podcast?[/quote]Yes, he did. Initially, he stated he'd come on the CAGcast and then added he'd contact Cheapy or Cheapy could contact them and they'd be happy to have him on.

I finally listened to it. This was clearly Hillary being Hillary. Stand down CAGs. Not that big of a deal. He's an editor who knows how to troll and piss people off. I rather enjoy his personality on the podcasts.

He was just being a dick, I laugh at everyone who went up in arms about this.

Its a joke people.

Jesus lighten up.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Yes, he did. Initially, he stated he'd come on the CAGcast and then added he'd contact Cheapy or Cheapy could contact them and they'd be happy to have him on.

I finally listened to it. This was clearly Hillary being Hillary. Stand down CAGs. Not that big of a deal. He's an editor who knows how to troll and piss people off. I rather enjoy his personality on the podcasts.[/quote]

I still think Cheapy should go on. Publicity ++

[quote name='phear3d']it could be great if they all act their age and become more professional. IGN is an established presence in this industry so they should be careful in bashing other people. they are being immature. they need to listen to that cagcast again and humiliate themselves.[/quote]Immature? I don't recall IGN having a ten minute segment about how they almost shit their pants once. Though I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Both shows are immature, and it's awesome. I'd clip the actual part where they mentioned CAG, but I'm about to fall asleep as I type this. When they "called out" Cheapy D they weren't serious. Learn to take some jokes, sirs.

Oh, and Cheapy needs to take them up on their offer. That'd be great.

Up until this was posted, I had no idea who Hilary was or that IGN even had a 360 podcast.

Gotta agree with Cheapy on the latest episode as well, must have been a bitch growing up with a girl's name.

Ah man, where to begin. I wonder how many of the people who complained about IGN not bothering to listen to Cheapy bothered to listen to an episode of Three Red Lights? Listen to just one and you'll see that Hilary was just joking around to be an ass. They don't take themselves seriously and never have. As someone else pointed out at the end of each show they apologise to there listeners for making another terrible podcast. All the people jumping up and down about this need to relax, don't take them seriously because they don't even take themselves seriously. Even the PA rant done by Hilary (as Rob the Robot) was just him being a douche to be funny, so chill.

And the guy who said "Who's CheapyD?" wasn't Hilary, it was Nate Ahearn, the most annoying guy on any podcast anywhere.

I added the clip to the OP for easy reference.
[media]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/podcast/threeredlightsclip.mp3[/media]

[quote name='pimpinc333']Who or what is a Hillary Goldstein? Also why is she a dick? I don't follow these podcasts at all.[/quote]
Oh I get it...cuz it's a guy but you said she...

I... hmm.

Look, obviously you can only go by what you know. So perception can always be clouded by ignorance. For example, my perception is...

I, of course, know of IGN but... until Cheapy mentioned it, I never even heard of that podcast. Even right now, looking through iTunes (which is not comprehensive and definitive) you have to dig under IGN to find "Three Red Lights".

And this may be incorrect but... with 24 episodes, asides from the "IGN" tag... who are they? Do they even have a larger audience than the CAGcast?

When Tai was born, it was news on the big gaming blogs (according to Alexa). Frankly Cheapy posts a video, it's news. I've neither seen nor heard, that I'm aware of, anything those guys doing making the blogs.

If I had to guess - they seem to have a fascinating blend of jealousy and hubris. They talk down on the CAGcast and Cheapy but both him and his show seem to be more popular.

[quote name='CheapyD']No, thats what the person who submitted the question wrote. I believe the word I used was "disagreed".

Anyway, more fodder for this week's show...I love it![/QUOTE]

My guess is thats what they want... more listeners from Cag to listen to their cast.

This is deliberate you guys. These are the same guys who had some guy do a wierd voice tha was "rob" from the nes days. There just having fun and trying to get a rise out of crazy people who take this stuff to seriously.

I'm pretty sure they don't care about an audience for their podcast. It's merely an addendum to their coverage on the site rather than a featured item weekly. It's actually becoming quite laughable that some are turning this into a popularity contest of who has a bigger audience to a podcast. On the flip side, I would guess IGN and the 360 channel has a bigger audience than CAG.

[quote name='InuFaye']He was just being a dick, I laugh at everyone who went up in arms about this.

Its a joke people.

Jesus lighten up.[/quote]

This is the truth. I don't think any of this warrants a second thought. Why the hell are people getting so upset about this.

If anything we should be happy, this is really great pub for CAG. Cheapy would be awesome on an IGN podcast, or Hilary would be an awesome guest on the cagcast. C'mon people, wise up, this isn't a big deal.

[quote name='SteveMcQ'] It's actually becoming quite laughable that some are turning this into a popularity contest of who has a bigger audience to a podcast. [/quote]

Seems a valid metric for comparison considering - joking, sure... but, they were kinda disparaging about Cheapy.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']On the flip side, I would guess IGN and the 360 channel has a bigger audience than CAG.[/quote]

IGN as a whole, sure, but again - this is my opinion, my perception... but for these guys on the podcast... They personally are nobodys. Cheapy may be B list internet celebrity but he's at least someone.

All of this is probably pointless circle talking since they very likely were joking.

While I agree Hilary was just kidding during that section but he such an @$$hole I can't stand that guy. In fact that whole IGN cast is a bunch of idiots, they think they are really funny but really are just a bunch of blabering fools.

Don't get me wrong Cheapy has his a-hole moments as well, but at least he is upfront about his views (and doesn't yell into the mic!). He calls it like he see's it.

[quote name='cgarb84']This is the truth. I don't think any of this warrants a second thought. Why the hell are people getting so upset about this.

If anything we should be happy, this is really great pub for CAG. Cheapy would be awesome on an IGN podcast, or Hilary would be an awesome guest on the cagcast. C'mon people, wise up, this isn't a big deal.[/quote]
You would think that the word sarcasm is not known to most members here. I've never listened to an ign podcast before or know who this hilary guy is and I could tell it was a joke. Even a moderator came on here saying that this guy was a huge douche and that cheapy shouldn't even pay attention to it. Simmer down a little guys.

[quote name='LiK']i heard the clip, i hate when unfunny people try to be funny.[/quote]

I agree 100%. The whole thing is just silly.

bread's done
Back