I'm dat Bison, and I hate yo' couch!!! FIGHTER THREAD XLVI!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jojo's is probably the best manga to fighting game adaptation that will ever exist. They really fucking nailed each of the characters personalities.

anyone have the issue number of uncanny x-men where magneto uppercuts storm into the air and started kicking her a shitload of times until she died?

a sentinel came out of nowhere to try and help storm, but magneto uppercutted it, and kept uppercutting it til the sentinel died too

[quote name='MarkMan']HNK did fuckin good too...[/quote]

Shit yeah! I forgot about that!

I love how crazy they make Rei sound when he does that one move where he laughs alot.

Looks like I'm finally going to get a chance to play SF4 today. Picking up a buddy of mine at around 4 to head out to San Jose State's Bowling Center by 6pm.

They are open until midnight, so looks like I'll be sacrificing LOTS of sleep before my 5am work shift Monday morning :(

AI's setup is tight JEKKI.

saw this in a cag blog... had to share... I luled

48.png

Oh street fighter 4, why you gotta....
BE THE BEST 2D FIGHTING GAME EVER!!!!
this game is truly amazing, "you gotta see it in real life" is one of the truest things ive ever heard too.
Played a few rounds couldnt get my double fireballs on the UP sticks to work and there was this lame dude doing this stupid blanka 4 hitter who was cleaning house, so we couldnt really pick the new guys and fuck around which was beat. BUT besides that the game controls great and the animations are so awesome especially sagat and balrog.
Gotta play it agian when that jerks not there though. anyway this game is awesome you all haver to play it

I'm just fuckin' shocked by how much people are diggin' SF4. Like, I thought it'd be good, but I didn't expect even seasoned fighting game fans to be gonzo about it.

That's good news.

Damn you Chac! Because you reminded me how much I liked JoJo's, I spent all day scrounging the internet... but came away with some good stuff:

English scanlations of most of the series (missing most of Part VI, and Steel Ball Run (ie VII) isn't finished yet). The game is based on Part III fyi:
http://jojo.highervoltage.net/

Part VI is continued here, though I'm pretty sure it's still not finished:
http://www.shiningdishonesty.com/jojoproject/

Good info on the games, history, and more details on Part III:
http://www.sonic.net/~jason/jojo.html

Apparently I need to track down the PS1 version. The Dreamcast version had nearly arcade perfect ports of JoJo's Venture and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, but lacked the PSX "Super Story Mode" which has more minigames, special conditions, and even enemies to fight that aren't playable, and not even in the DC version. Hardware limitations mean the PSX version had animations removed, so coloring simplified, more censoring, etc (really, nobody should be surprised at all this, that's why I was a Saturn/DC fan for fighters personally), but I wonder why it got Super Story Mode and Dreamcast didn't?

Also, more FYI that I just found out: DC version is both JoJo's Venture and Bizarre Adventure, but arcade mode and challenge mode only. PSX is ONLY JoJo's Venture, but they added most (maybe all? idk?) of the sequel's characters, and it has the Super Story Mode as well.

I think it's capcom taking out all the complicated shit and making SF4 pure fun like SFII was when it was out. yes it has technique but it's not as demanding as most modern fighters.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I think it's capcom taking out all the complicated shit and making SF4 pure fun like SFII was when it was out. yes it has technique but it's not as demanding as most modern fighters.[/QUOTE]

That's what I want, honestly. I've got combo shit, 3d shit, but I don't have a simple game about applying a knee to somebody's jaw.

[quote name='Chacrana']That's what I want, honestly. I've got combo shit, 3d shit, but I don't have a simple game about applying a knee to somebody's jaw.[/quote]

yeah you do have a game like that, but it's totally shitty: the recent MK games.

at least SF4 isn't around any shit.

also, I just made a mortal sin talking about recent MK games with SF4. I will whip myself.

Out of all the new characters I have a feeling 'll like Rufus the most. Abel looks like a lot of fun too. Are there any screens of Fei Long yet?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I hope you are right.... I really do.[/QUOTE]

I hope I'm right too. I haven't even played it, but seeing the genuine excitement about it makes me hope that it is.

I have friends who haven't played a fighter since SFII, saying it looks fun. I'm not sure if they're gonna buy it, but I'll do my best to convince them.

SF IV is good, but it's still too early to tell. The game is solid though.

I really like Rufus but Abel is a lot more fun.

Command throws!

COMMAND THROWS

[quote name='MarkMan']No. Nothing can revive the arcade scene in the US. Sad but true.

:([/quote]

Bet you if you put Snoopy Diddly Doo Dog's bullet shooter, GTAXIII Jackassville, Halo 3000 or Madden '57 in arcades it'd revive the scene >_>

mms://125.141.100.105/korea-sf2ce-live-forever

stream if anyone wants to watch korean play... right now T6 is streaming. Usually it switches between SF II CE / SF IV and T6

3 1/2 hours and $15 later, I can safely say that I am psyched about SFIV.

One of my best friends and I drove down to SJSU to play and it was well worth it. They temporarily had 4 cabs (they usually have 2), so there was little to no wait for games.

Abel is really fun and I will definitely try to get better with him. Blanka is fun as usual and I'll probably main him as well as Abel. Abel's EX Tornado Throw is just too good.

Also for those of you who have played, maybe it's been a while but does Sagat's Tiger Knee now act as an AA? I was playing against someone tonight and he was able to Tiger Knee me while I was falling mid-air.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']SFIV is like a glory hole that won't open up where I live.[/QUOTE]

At least you have a bigger chance of getting it compared to me :p

I hope one comes nearer to me soonish.

On a side note! JJBA: Stone Ocean is mad gangsta, and Jolyne is badass.

Theres already a SFIV in Tacoma!

Tacoma, Washington
Narrows Plaza Bowl
2200 Mildred Street West
University Place, Tacoma, Washington 98466
(253) 565-1007
Two cabinets with 32" hi def LCD monitors

I mean nearer than that. Takes like 3 hours to get to Tacoma on a weekday and with gas and all I barely have enough money to eat and pay rent!

Ahhh Street Fighter 4.... I promised in-depth impressions, so here they are

The graphics, for one, are incredible. It strikes the perfect blend of realism to cartoon. Unlike, say, Dead or Alive, Street Fighter finds the sweet spot without looking to fake. Screen shots and videos look great, but you have to see it in real life. From Blanka's surprised eyes when Sagat initates his Ultra to the way a simple fireball looks, everything seems like it was nailed right on the head.

The sound effects seemed spot-on, although I couldn't really hear the music. All the voices and everything seem intact, which was nice.

The new Ultra system is great, as none of the ones I've seen yet have been particularly overpowered. It gives a fighting chance to anyone who eats a few attacks in a row. The strongest ones I've seen so far are Sagat's and Zangief's, but I've only seen about a 3rd of them.

The gameplay itself is off the hook. It's a perfect blend of old school gameplay with a few new school mechanics (button-press throws, Focus attacks, EX special moves). It's nice to play and have a 4 hit combo be worthwhile again. Seeing all the characters we played when we were younger recreated in smooth, detailed 3D models (SFEX doesn't count) is pretty awesome. They also re-did alot of attacks, as I noticed Sagat's medium kick looks completely different now. I only got to play as 3 characters (Sagat, Dhalsim and Zangief) because of the lines but they all had plenty of new animations to keep things interesting.

I busted off a nice win streak the first time I played the game (it was when I was Sagat). I was going up against a good Blanka player who had obviously been playing the game quite a bit since University Pinball got it, so I picked Sagat because A) I like him alot and wanted to see his new animations and B) Because Markman mentioned he was pretty buff. The match against the Blanka player went to the 5th round, but I pulled out the victory. It was pretty cool to have the scene going again (at least for awhile), as I got to play against 8 or 9 people before I had to face the same person again. When I picked Dhalsim, I went against a pretty decent Bison player and only got 1 round on him. Sim seems sooooo slow now, although I may have just been using him incorrectly. I couldn't really get anything to work out with him though and I was unimpressed by his Ultra (it's a huge fireball). With Zangief I had to play against the Blanka kid again and he was turtling like crazy and since I was Zangief (who I don't normally play) I didn't really know how to combat it. I used EX versions of the 360+K move which worked for awhile but I eventually lost. I don't even think I got a round. The game is straight up great though, the whole time the people I was with and the other guys playing were just shooting the shit about the game, talking about moves, new characters, who's good etc.... It was alot of fun.

I wasn't really sure how to use the Focus attack system well, but the kid that works there was using Ken and was taking advantage of it. You can somehow use it to counter-attack and trigger a stun on the opponent, but I didn't read up on the game much before I played so I wasn't sure how to do it.

Unfortunately, because some of the people were playing to win instead of to learn, I didn't get to try and of the new characters. I knew that I didn't stand a chance if I picked one of them, and I didn't wanna wait another 30-40 minutes to play again.

Also, Asian, I think you can use Tiger Knee as AA. It was working out for me, at least. EX Tiger Knee was pretty nasty in general, I was using the hell out of it during my streak.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']
Ahhh Street Fighter 4.... I promised in-depth impressions, so here they are

The graphics, for one, are incredible. It strikes the perfect blend of realism to cartoon. Unlike, say, Dead or Alive, Street Fighter finds the sweet spot without looking to fake. Screen shots and videos look great, but you have to see it in real life. From Blanka's surprised eyes when Sagat initates his Ultra to the way a simple fireball looks, everything seems like it was nailed right on the head.

The sound effects seemed spot-on, although I couldn't really hear the music. All the voices and everything seem intact, which was nice.

The new Ultra system is great, as none of the ones I've seen yet have been particularly overpowered. It gives a fighting chance to anyone who eats a few attacks in a row. The strongest ones I've seen so far are Sagat's and Zangief's, but I've only seen about a 3rd of them.

The gameplay itself is off the hook. It's a perfect blend of old school gameplay with a few new school mechanics (button-press throws, Focus attacks, EX special moves). It's nice to play and have a 4 hit combo be worthwhile again. Seeing all the characters we played when we were younger recreated in smooth, detailed 3D models (SFEX doesn't count) is pretty awesome. They also re-did alot of attacks, as I noticed Sagat's medium kick looks completely different now. I only got to play as 3 characters (Sagat, Dhalsim and Zangief) because of the lines but they all had plenty of new animations to keep things interesting.

I busted off a nice win streak the first time I played the game (it was when I was Sagat). I was going up against a good Blanka player who had obviously been playing the game quite a bit since University Pinball got it, so I picked Sagat because A) I like him alot and wanted to see his new animations and B) Because Markman mentioned he was pretty buff. The match against the Blanka player went to the 5th round, but I pulled out the victory. It was pretty cool to have the scene going again (at least for awhile), as I got to play against 8 or 9 people before I had to face the same person again. When I picked Dhalsim, I went against a pretty decent Bison player and only got 1 round on him. Sim seems sooooo slow now, although I may have just been using him incorrectly. I couldn't really get anything to work out with him though and I was unimpressed by his Ultra (it's a huge fireball). With Zangief I had to play against the Blanka kid again and he was turtling like crazy and since I was Zangief (who I don't normally play) I didn't really know how to combat it. I used EX versions of the 360+K move which worked for awhile but I eventually lost. I don't even think I got a round. The game is straight up great though, the whole time the people I was with and the other guys playing were just shooting the shit about the game, talking about moves, new characters, who's good etc.... It was alot of fun.

I wasn't really sure how to use the Focus attack system well, but the kid that works there was using Ken and was taking advantage of it. You can somehow use it to counter-attack and trigger a stun on the opponent, but I didn't read up on the game much before I played so I wasn't sure how to do it.

Unfortunately, because some of the people were playing to win instead of to learn, I didn't get to try and of the new characters. I knew that I didn't stand a chance if I picked one of them, and I didn't wanna wait another 30-40 minutes to play again.

Also, Asian, I think you can use Tiger Knee as AA. It was working out for me, at least. EX Tiger Knee was pretty nasty in general, I was using the hell out of it during my streak
.[/quote]

I thank you greatly for the impressions, I doubt I'll be able to play this before it hits consoles but it sounds like it will be worth my hype.

Dhalsim is slow but like I said before, fireball and teleport!!! Based on his ultra, he's most likely all about setups and pressure and shyt.

his dive attack shyt got nerfed major btw

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']
Also, Asian, I think you can use Tiger Knee as AA. It was working out for me, at least. EX Tiger Knee was pretty nasty in general, I was using the hell out of it during my streak.[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought. It annoyed me all of last night and my buddy laugh while watching. I just remember semi-stuffing a Tiger Uppercut against someone I played and while we were both falling/recovering, he was able to Tiger Knee me while I was still falling mid-air. It made me realize that Sagat (also the guy I was playing had a mean Claw) and the rest of the bosses are pretty buff.

Some of the stuff is just funny. My buddy was playing Ken all night. I think I saw him cancel a fireball into Shoryu-Reppa and while the guy was still in the air canceled into ultra. It made us laugh quite a bit.

I agree with Jim about the graphics on SFIV. I have to say that my buddy and I both agreed you really cannot appreciate this game until you see it in motion. Sure the screens looked good, but seeing the game right in front of you was pretty incredible. Everything felt fluid and looked gorgeous. The gameplay is refreshing. It's definitely a mix of 3S and ST. Though I think it'll be nice for those who thought 3S's learning curve was too high.

I'm completely sold on SFIV after playing it last night. Long live Abel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back