Impulse weekend sale PC

good price for age of booty but i feel like id rather have it on steam, might check out that hack and slash bundle though.

I want Space Hack. $5 is the cheapest I've seen so far it but I *hate* digital distribution.

Can someone tell me if Impulse uses DRM? Can I play the games I buy on their service without running their software?

It says at the bottom of the space hack portion that impulse must be installed to download and install the game. I don't believe you need to fire it up to actually launch the game though.

They mention on the age of booty description that the game uses Securom, so they do seem to indicate when DRM is present.

[quote name='gx5ilver']It says at the bottom of the space hack portion that impulse must be installed to download and install the game. I don't believe you need to fire it up to actually launch the game though.

They mention on the age of booty description that the game uses Securom, so they do seem to indicate when DRM is present.[/quote]

Thanks. I might bit just to see. I played the Space Hack demo a long time ago and had a lot of mindless fun with it.

[quote name='gx5ilver']They mention on the age of booty description that the game uses Securom, so they do seem to indicate when DRM is present.[/quote]

That's disappointing to here. There is a thread at the Age Of Booty section at the Steam forums that is critical of Securom being on the Steam version.

I've played a little of both Chosen and Space Hack on Gametap. I'll pick them up at this price.

Pretty good deals. I'd like to try Age of Booty but the Securom makes me NOT want to try it. And i've already got penny arcade ep1, so a deal on ep2 would have been nice. Oh well, i've got plenty of other games to play anyway.

Impulse is pretty awesome. Like somebody said earlier, you only need the client open to install and patch your games. Besides, Stardock is a PC focused company through and through and we need to support them.

[quote name='Rollett']Impulse is really good, they are almost exactly like steam. the company is very against DRM.[/quote]
Yeah, but I hate steam. Feels like I don't own anything I've bought on there.

Impulse is a glorified download and patch manager. I bought SupCom from Impulse last December and haven't had to open the client since; SupCom is in offline mode by default, completely detached from the Impulse client.

[quote name='nexen']Yeah, but I hate steam. Feels like I don't own anything I've bought on there.[/quote]

Sadly, you don't. If you check into the TOS, everything is a subscription service, terminable at any time. You really don't own anything when it comes to Steam.

The beauty of Impulse/Stardock though is that they are working towards a new system where you can feel like you own your game more. They have been making changes over the past few months, getting closer towards the ability to resell your digitally downloaded games. They believe companies will be on board with this because the publishers will receive a cut from the resell, so they aren't out of the 'used' game loop anymore.

I am really excited to see where Stardock takes this in the future. If it succeeds and publishers come on board, I have a feeling I won't be using Steam for a very long time.

A long article regarding the evolution of Impulse and it's future by the CEO of Stardock.

http://frogboy.impulsedriven.net/article/345381/Impulse_Road_Map

Sorry for little talk about the deal though, just had to rant a little. Checking the deals out now, the hack 'n slash bundle seems decent!

Anyone have issues running the Age of Booty Demo from Steam? Mine starts to load, then stupid securom says I have 1 day remaining, then crashes. The game looked really fun, but I might pass for to avoid a headache...

[quote name='Kurina']Sadly, you don't. If you check into the TOS, everything is a subscription service, terminable at any time. You really don't own anything when it comes to Steam.[/quote]

Thanks for that. I'm in for Space Hack then. I like where Impulse is heading so I'll keep a close eye on them.

They should pay you comission. :D

Only title I would have had immediate interest in is Age of Booty, which is great, but I've got it on 360 so I'll pass.

Any recommendations either/both games in the bundle?

Edit: After reading reviews for the others I may end up going for the bundle for space hack. Making History sounded fairly disappointing solo, so I'll pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there much of an active community for Age of Booty on 360 or PC? Are the different digital distributions of AoB cross-compatible (like if you buy AoB through steam, can you play with people who bought through impulse or direct2drive, etc?)

I know Stardock is good for their *RETAIL* products, but I'm not seeing how they're really any better than Steam for their download service. It's still activation DRM...I mean I guess its fine you don't have to have it running once it's launched, but that's not really the problem with Steam-the actual problem-the activation-is the same on both systems...

EDIT: If they didn't have the activation, I'd buy those Penny Arcade games...

[quote name='eastx']How is the activation a problem again? Let's hear it. I love me some nutty conspiracy theories.[/QUOTE]

It's not a "conspiracy theory" :roll:

[quote name='Wolfpup']It's not a "conspiracy theory" :roll:[/quote]
Agreed.

What happens if the site you bought the game from closes down? What happens when the game is old and activation servers are no longer there? I still do buy via downloads, but I'm careful about what I buy, and make damn sure that it's so cheap that the potential loss doesn't hurt or that there is a crack available for it.

I go to thifts, yard sales, flea markets, etc. and pick up all kinds of old pc games. I buy games who's publisher or developer or both are long gone. How would I play them if I had to activate them from a long dead server?

Some of the games and online downloading services either have no activation, or a 1-time activation. That means you can download the game to your harddrive, burn it to disc, back it up on an external harddrive- a thousand times over.
If the service goes out of business, you lose the ability to download that game at your convenience, not the ability to play.
Compare this to the physical media- which can be broken, scratched, lost, stolen. And which you cannot easily backup and make copies of. Or the platform it was on can break down- such as with consoles. Or you can lose the cd-key that came with your physical copy.

Digital media is almost always more futureproof than physical media.

[quote name='vherub']Some of the games and online downloading services either have no activation, or a 1-time activation. That means you can download the game to your harddrive, burn it to disc, back it up on an external harddrive- a thousand times over.
If the service goes out of business, you lose the ability to download that game at your convenience, not the ability to play.[/quote]

The only one I'm aware of like that is GOG.com. Steam, Securom, Direct2Drive, Impulse, etc. are all activation.

Compare this to the physical media- which can be broken, scratched, lost, stolen.

No it can't. That's one of the bizarre arguments made time and again. I've never lost, had anything stolen, had anything broken, had anything scratched, etc., etc., and I don't know anyone who has either.

Even if I did do something stupid and somehow broke a disc, at least it would be *my* fault that I couldn't play it anymore, rather than being cut off through no fault of my own (aside from being stupid enough to rent something through one of these service to begin with).

Digital media is almost always more futureproof than physical media.

1, it's all digital. 2, it's FAR less futureproof because you don't own it, and need permission to install it. Someone so careless and clumsy that they somehow snap discs apart left and right can't play games anyway, since they also tear up their monitor and throw their laptop out the window by mistake.

I ended up with the Rain-Slick pack (never played those before) and Age of Booty (loved the PS3 demo).

has anyone figured out how to run AOB at a higher resolution? It only has 1 or 2 options available and neither one is 1920x1080.

[quote name='vherub']Some of the games and online downloading services either have no activation, or a 1-time activation. That means you can download the game to your harddrive, burn it to disc, back it up on an external harddrive- a thousand times over.
[/quote]
GOG is the only service that allows you to do this. For every other service you have to at least download an installer of some type to every pc you want to play the game on.

But even many new physical copy games need an online activation for them to work. PC game collecting is going to be pretty crappy a decade from now when you want to play a game and the activation server is no longer around. I really don't trust any company to have a plan to help out retro gamers. Once again pirates will get the last laugh as you'll need the nocd cracks they created to play those games.

[quote name='mogamer']Agreed.

What happens if the site you bought the game from closes down? What happens when the game is old and activation servers are no longer there? I still do buy via downloads, but I'm careful about what I buy, and make damn sure that it's so cheap that the potential loss doesn't hurt or that there is a crack available for it.
[/QUOTE]

Man! Steam might go out of business at any time, and then we'll all be screwed. Very likely, right?

(I can't speak for Impulse, but still.)

[quote name='Kurina']The beauty of Impulse/Stardock though is that they are working towards a new system where you can feel like you own your game more.[/quote]

It's not going to catch on. Publishers will simply not bite.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It's not going to catch on. Publishers will simply not bite.[/quote]
Activision has signed on and agreed to it from one of the CEO's dev posts, so maybe with time other will. No guarantee, but considering the publishers are getting a cut from resold games, they may likely well bite for it. That's the big difference, with consoles it is Gamestop and similar stores reaping the benefits. If this succeeds, it will be money going right to the publishers.

Time will tell though, people were skeptical of other Stardock actions and they have succeeded so far. Curious to see where it ends up, and if I can finally break away from Steam.

[quote name='Kurina']Activision has signed on and agreed to it from one of the CEO's dev posts, so maybe with time other will.[/QUOTE]

Great, so a bunch of shitty Dreamworks CGI movie games, and that's about it. :/

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Great, so a bunch of shitty Dreamworks CGI movie games, and that's about it. :/[/quote]

Are we forgetting or ignoring the Activision-Blizzard merger?

[quote name='eastx']Man! Steam might go out of business at any time, and then we'll all be screwed. Very likely, right?

(I can't speak for Impulse, but still.)[/quote]

The corporate graveyard is filled with companies that used to be huge. Nobody ever thought that GM would ever file for bankruptcy, but they may do that very soon.

If a service like Steam ever went under, it'd be very easy for them to release patches that disable the authentication request. Why tempt a lawsuit?

[quote name='blue ocarina']Are we forgetting or ignoring the Activision-Blizzard merger?[/QUOTE]

There was no Activision-Blizzard merger. There was an Activision-Vivendi merger.

Blizzard still operates pretty much autonomously of Activision (Blizzard provides an explanation of the merger's effect, or lack thereof, on them here), so the Activision CEO's comments about publishing on Impulse do not have any bearing on Blizzard. So, not only does that provide no guarantee of Blizzard being on Impulse's new system, I would say that the fact that Blizzard has yet to distribute their games digitally on any outlet other than their own, doesn't bode well for them hopping onto Stardock's new system, either.

Besides...how the hell would reselling WoW work?

Bottom line, there is no-one terribly compelling that's buying into Stardock's new distribution systems, yet. Unless you really like Monsters vs Aliens and half-assed James Bond games.

[quote name='Vegan']If a service like Steam ever went under, it'd be very easy for them to release patches that disable the authentication request. Why tempt a lawsuit?[/QUOTE]
Valve has very specifically said that they intend to release a deauthentication tool, in the event they ever go under.

[quote name='mogamer']The corporate graveyard is filled with companies that used to be huge. Nobody ever thought that GM would ever file for bankruptcy, but they may do that very soon.[/QUOTE]
The automobile manufacturing market is slightly more volatile than digital distribution of videogames (a business with very low overhead, and high profit margins).

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
Valve has very specifically said that they intend to release a deauthentication tool, in the event they ever go under.[/quote]

The most likely case if Valve experiences financial problems is that they sell completely out or just some parts (i.e.Steam). In either case, the new ownership might not be as generous as Valve. I know Valve personnel have mentioned this tool. But if it isn't in a legally binding document, they don't have to do it.

The automobile manufacturing market is slightly more volatile than digital distribution of videogames (a business with very low overhead, and high profit margins).
How much money did EA make last year? All business is a risk. That is why failure is the norm and not success. And the GM is a far older company with a larger customer base than any video game company.

[quote name='mogamer']The most likely case if Valve experiences financial problems is that they sell completely out or just some parts (i.e.Steam). In either case, the new ownership might not be as generous as Valve. I know Valve personnel have mentioned this tool. But if it isn't in a legally binding document, they don't have to do it.[/quote]
Fine, be paranoid and miss out on an excellent service. I don't care.

How much money did EA make last year? All business is a risk. That is why failure is the norm and not success. And the GM is a far older company with a larger customer base than any video game company.
EA is not comparable to Valve, either.

And again, your argument about GM is really stupid. Yeah, they're huge. They also have huge overhead expenses, and they're in a market with completely different dynamics (items that cost a year's pay for a lot of people, that they might buy a couple of times a decade). That you're trying to use GM as an example regarding a online videogame retailer shows that you kind of fail at economics.

I just feel like throwing this in , since it seems to fit in so well with the activation argument that pops up with every Steam/Impulse/whatever sale.

I don't know why we argue this during everyone of these sales , since we all know that even if the game disappears or the company that made the game goes under , the game will always be available to download and play thanks to our wonderful friends with the eyepatches.;)

Or I could be completely wrong in that thought , in which case I take it back. Also , it's not that I advocate actually doing the above except in that specific situation , I'm just stating a fact.:whistle2:#

[quote name='Vegan']If a service like Steam ever went under, it'd be very easy for them to release patches that disable the authentication request. Why tempt a lawsuit?[/quote]

Before I am flamed for any of the following, please note that I DO use steam (grudgingly) and am currently not under the fear that it will disappear anytime soon. I would like to point out a few things though just for the sake of information. This is not to flame Steam itself, but merely point out some of the misconceptions regarding this service that I see people have.

Steam is not required to release a deactivation tool, nor do customers have any grounds to actually sue them should a tool never be released. The ToS is pretty clear on what this service is about, and Valve is required to do very little.

http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

1. When it comes to Steam, it is a subscription service, and you are not actually purchasing anything you bought. As with most subscription services, if they go under, they are usually not obliged to give you any further content and cease their services.

Each Subscription allows you access to certain services, software and other content under the terms of each such Subscription and this Agreement. Additional terms provided with each such Subscription ("Subscription Terms") may apply to the use of a given Subscription, and are incorporated into this Agreement. Further, additional terms (for example, fees and billing procedures) may be posted on http://www.steampowered.com or within the Steam service ("Rules of Use"), and are incorporated into this Agreement. As a Subscriber, you agree to all of the terms and conditions of the Valve Privacy Policy, which are also incorporated into this Agreement. A copy of the Valve Privacy Policy can be found at http://www.valvesoftware.com/privacy.htm.
  2. Your subscription is terminable at any time, meaning it can be removed and you are entitled to nothing.

Valve hereby grants, and you accept, a limited, terminable, non-exclusive license and right to use the Steam Software for your personal use in accordance with this Agreement and the Subscription Terms.
  3. Most of all, Valve guarantees you absolutely nothing. If they want to stop their service, they can, and you have agreed to it. If they let things fall apart, you agreed to it.

C. NO GUARANTEES.VALVE DOES NOT GUARANTEE CONTINUOUS, ERROR-FREE, VIRUS-FREE OR SECURE OPERATION AND ACCESS TO STEAM, THE STEAM SOFTWARE, YOUR ACCOUNT AND/OR YOUR SUBSCRIPTIONS(S).
  4. Additional key points of the ToS.
    2. In the case of a one-time purchase of a product license (e.g., purchase of a single game) from Valve, Valve may choose to terminate or cancel your Subscription in its entirety or may terminate or cancel only a portion of the Subscription (e.g., access to the software via Steam) and Valve may, but is not obligated to, provide access (for a limited period of time) to the download of a stand-alone version of the software and content associated with such one-time purchase.

I am fully aware this is more or less legal jargon to cover themselves, but it is also a clear statement about what this service really is.

[quote name='Kurina']I am fully aware this is more or less legal jargon to cover themselves, but it is also a clear statement about what this service really is.[/QUOTE]

Quit being a fucking baby. More or less EVERY TOS, to EVERYTHING you EVER SIGN UP FOR, is the same damn way.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Quit being a fucking baby. More or less EVERY TOS, to EVERYTHING you EVER SIGN UP FOR, is the same damn way.[/quote]
I didn't realize I was being a baby. I still use Steam myself. However, many people aren't aware that Steam is a subscription service, and they have no obligation to offer a tool should they ever go under. I don't believe they actually would go under either, but I was replying to the post regarding why risk a lawsuit.

If you install Impulse and read their agreement, nothing like the above exists. While similar agreements are found on GoG and Gamersgate, you don't actually need these services working to play your games. Once you download the game, back it up, and it is yours forever. Steam is unique with it's authentication system and ToS combination.

Sorry if I hit a nerve, but if you had read my post, you would see I still use the service and am simply pointing out some misinformed points by a few others.

Relax. It is a simple discussion.

The problem is you conspiracy guys pop up and thread crap nearly every time one of these services (which most of us love) has a good sale. It's the same old zany stuff that 99% of actual gamers don't care about. If you had your way, games would either be 110% piratable or we'd all have to buy retail software (for higher prices than the download services offer) and have to pop the disc in every time we wanted to play those games. No thanks.

[quote name='eastx']The problem is you conspiracy guys pop up and thread crap nearly every time one of these services (which most of us love) has a good sale. It's the same old zany stuff that 99% of actual gamers don't care about. If you had your way, games would either be 110% piratable or we'd all have to buy retail software (for higher prices than the download services offer) and have to pop the disc in every time we wanted to play those games. No thanks.[/quote]
I am not sure how I am a conspiracy person, considering I have used this service since it was started, as I was a Valve fan before Steam even existed.

If you think digital downloads are cheaper than retail, then you are also mistaken. Aside from the occasional sale, I can make you a list in a matter of minutes of games cheaper retail than digital distribution.

I am not here to stir up trouble or start some crazy Steam flame. My goodness I use the service as stated over and over. I didn't realize it was such an issue to make a few points regarding other posts that stated the opposite. Wow. Sorry for trying to discuss something on a forum of all places.

:whistle2:#

[quote name='Kurina']I am not sure how I am a conspiracy person, considering I have used this service since it was started, as I was a Valve fan before Steam even existed.

If you think digital downloads are cheaper than retail, then you are also mistaken. Aside from the occasional sale, I can make you a list in a matter of minutes of games cheaper retail than digital distribution.

I am not here to stir up trouble or start some crazy Steam flame. My goodness I use the service as stated over and over. I didn't realize it was such an issue to make a few points regarding other posts that stated the opposite. Wow. Sorry for trying to discuss something on a forum of all places.

:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]
The problem is that we have it in every damn thread about digital distribution sales. I mean, seriously, every major gaming news site, most of the big blogs, the gaming magazines, they've all done articles about this stuff.

Everyone knows about digital distribution. We don't need to bring it up over and over and over again.

It's not like you see complaints about how evil Wal-Mart is, in every single "YMMV deal at Walmart" thread. It's just not necessary.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']There was no Activision-Blizzard merger. There was an Activision-Vivendi merger.

Blizzard still operates pretty much autonomously of Activision (Blizzard provides an explanation of the merger's effect, or lack thereof, on them here), so the Activision CEO's comments about publishing on Impulse do not have any bearing on Blizzard. So, not only does that provide no guarantee of Blizzard being on Impulse's new system, I would say that the fact that Blizzard has yet to distribute their games digitally on any outlet other than their own, doesn't bode well for them hopping onto Stardock's new system, either.[/quote]
First off, apologies for confusing the name of the new company with the previously separate and now nonexistent entities.
Secondly, I wasn't assuming that Blizzard titles are automatically going to release on Impulse just because Activision Publishing signed a deal with Stardock. Especially considering how the original post was clear to state that it would be select Activision published titles. I was simply pointing out that should the range of titles that could fall under the agreement are potentially more promising than the range of titles you stated, for all we know neither of these range of titles will end up on Impulse at all...

Having said that, it certainly doesn't hurt the chances of Blizzard putting out games on Impulse that Activision is at least partially behind the service seeing as how
[quote name='"Blizzard FAQ"'][FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]One of the highlights of the combination is that Blizzard Entertainment now benefits from all-star sales and distribution teams to service our products. [/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
Which isn't to say that they will choose to take advantage of every form of distribution that they have access to, but it's more promising than if Activision was not supporting Impulse at all.

Feel free to correct any further inaccuracies as I'm basing my comments only on articles I have actually read. So there may be more solid statements out there about what is or isn't included in the Activision and Stardock distribution agreement.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
It's not like you see complaints about how evil Wal-Mart is, in every single "YMMV deal at Walmart" thread. It's just not necessary.[/quote]

It's funny you should mention Wal-Mart in this thread. I remember when they announced that they were shutting down the authentication servers for their digital music service, and instructed users to burn the files to a CD and then re-rip them. You know what happened? A judge ordered them to keep the authentication servers online.

No one should buy Age of Booty for PC. It is broken and Capcom and Certain Affinity have done little/nothing to address the issue.

Some of the issues are: They sold the same cd-keys to several people. You frequently have to re-enter your cd-key every time to start the game (may be related to SecuRom). Game crashes frequently, so it's hard to even finish a match.

These are a few things I gleaned from a few minutes spent on the AoB forums at capcom's website.

The Steam version may be better, but buyer beware! Do your homework before you throw your money away...

bread's done
Back