Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull discussion

Just back from the viewing, and I'm not very impressed.

There's about a fifth of the film that feels like the old movies at all.

There's fun to be had in the movie, but DO NOT expect the style and charisma to hold over from the other three films. I think that listing my age might temper this review, so know that I'm just over 30.

My girlfriend was livid, but just because of some of the content that she was really not expecting from an Indiana Jones flick.

I enjoyed it, but I think I hyped myself a bit too much so I came away a bit disappointed. Also (don't read unless you've seen the movie)
I could of done without the Indiana Jones IN SPACE! Yeah, the movies all have that aspect of fantasticism but I thought that was a little much, but maybe I'm just nitpicking.
Again, I enjoyed it but I think it could of been a lot better, but at the same time it could of been a lot worse.

I give it a 3 out of 4 Strells.

Your mom doesn't even get 3 out of 4 Strells.

Your description warrants a score on the negative side of things. The negative billions. Most of them coming from a Disney Channel leftover.

YESSIR
I was at the largest midnight showing in the country tonight! They announced it before the movie.

I thought the movie was ok. Nothing special. A fun flick but there were some parts that weren't believable.

[quote name='Strell']Your mom doesn't even get 3 out of 4 Strells.

Your description warrants a score on the negative side of things. The negative billions. Most of them coming from a Disney Channel leftover.[/quote]

DON'T BRING THAT WEAK SHIT INTO MY HOUSE!

[quote name='yukine']I enjoyed it, but I think I hyped myself a bit too much so I came away a bit disappointed. Also (don't read unless you've seen the movie)
I could of done without the Indiana Jones IN SPACE! Yeah, the movies all have that aspect of fantasticism but I thought that was a little much, but maybe I'm just nitpicking.
Again, I enjoyed it but I think it could of been a lot better, but at the same time it could of been a lot worse.

I give it a 3 out of 4 Strells.[/QUOTE]

Ok, that spoiler immediately turns me off from the movie completely. Jesus Christ.

So that little boy is from the last movies is going to come back like Jhon O' Conner and is going to be some messed up freak where it will be like.

Asian Kid now Guy : Indy remember me

Indy : Ace your grown up now, thats good now give me a hand

Asian Kid now Guy : I am sorry Indy I have jioned the better side

Blah blah Indy Kills of the Kid in some dramatic explosion where he gets eaten alive by pebbloiplous.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Ok, that spoiler immediately turns me off from the movie completely. Jesus Christ.[/quote]

Well if you don't mind the movie being completely spoiled I'll clarify that a bit
the crystal skulls are alien skulls and when they return the missing one a portal appears and then you see a UFO taking off.
I'm oversimplifying it, but that's the gist of it. I mean, they don't put too much of an emphasis on it during the movie until around the end but it annoyed me. My girlfriend thinks I'm just being too critical.

Again though I enjoyed it, quite a bit actually, I just couldn't let some things go apparently. :lol:

[quote name='Redie']So that little boy is from the last movies is going to come back like Jhon O' Conner and is going to be some messed up freak where it will be like.

Asian Kid now Guy : Indy remember me

Indy : Ace your grown up now, thats good now give me a hand

Asian Kid now Guy : I am sorry Indy I have jioned the better side

Blah blah Indy Kills of the Kid in some dramatic explosion where he gets eaten alive by pebbloiplous.[/quote]

I know that's just a joke account but that'd probably be a way better ending. :D

[quote name='davim84']terrible

huge disappointment

big mistake on letting George Lucas write this

oh well :cry:[/quote]

I don't think he wrote the movie.

[quote name='tiredfornow']He wrote the story.[/quote]

But not the script?

Also saw it last night. First off I did like the the fact that
Indy has a son and could possibly take on his adventures in the future.
I thought that was already an interesting plot and could've done without the
aliens
. Maybe something a bit more.... Earthy.

Some of the scenes just didn't sit right with me (the flying nuclear fridge & Shia's monkey jungle swing) I expect over the top action in Indy but these were total cheez.

[quote name='Rodimus']But not the script?

Also saw it last night. First off I did like the the fact that Indy has a son and could possibly take on his adventures in the future. I thought that was already an interesting plot and could've done without the aliens. Maybe something a bit more.... Earthy.

Some of the scenes just didn't sit right with me (the flying nuclear fridge & Shia's monkey jungle swing) I expect over the top action in Indy but these were total cheez.[/quote]

USE SPOILER TAGS FOR THE FIRST 2 DAYS!!!!! Some people Haven't seen it yet!!!!

[quote name='yukine']Well if you don't mind the movie being completely spoiled I'll clarify that a bit
the crystal skulls are alien skulls and when they return the missing one a portal appears and then you see a UFO taking off.
I'm oversimplifying it, but that's the gist of it. I mean, they don't put too much of an emphasis on it during the movie until around the end but it annoyed me. My girlfriend thinks I'm just being too critical.

Again though I enjoyed it, quite a bit actually, I just couldn't let some things go apparently. :lol:[/quote]

Jeez, just reading that spoiler makes me want to just wait till the DVD release. I have a ticket to get into any movie for free. Which I was going to use it on this movie, but I think I'll just keep it and use it on The Dark Knight instead.

Seems like the National Treasure movies are more of a Indiana Jones movie than this one is. Seems like they finished destroying the Star Wars saga, so now they've moved onto ripping Indy apart.

Sounds to me like they're trying to merge the stories. I the next Indy movie the millennium falcon will land and Indy will meet Han Solo.

Both Indy and his dad drank from the Grail in the last film, right? Doesn't that mean that they wouldn't have aged, and will be making these films forever?

A fun flick but there were some parts that weren't believable.

Like most films nowadays?

[quote name='shieryda']Both Indy and his dad drank from the Grail in the last film, right? Doesn't that mean that they wouldn't have aged, and will be making these films forever?[/quote]

IIRC, they would be immortal if they stayed in the temple that the Grail was held in. But as soon as they leave the temple, they would age normally.

[quote name='shieryda']Both Indy and his dad drank from the Grail in the last film, right? Doesn't that mean that they wouldn't have aged, and will be making these films forever?

Like most films nowadays?[/quote]

We talked about this in the last thread...Watch Crusade again. The knight tells him that the power only extends within the cavern. Indy was able to use the water to heal his dad and then they left.

[quote name='ITDEFX']We talked about this in the last thread...Watch Crusade again. The knight tells him that the power only extends within the cavern. Indy was able to use the water to heal his dad and then they left.[/quote]

Ah, yes. Thanks for reminding.

Despite my hatred for certain parts
forgot about the monkey swinging, another thing in the movie where you just roll your eyes to.
I would still recommend seeing it in theater, I don't hate it because of maybe 20% of what I thought was really ridiculous and far fetched.

But damn, definitely not worth seeing the first showing and having to practically fight for theater seats. Some bitch was holding two rows of seats and we almost got into it with her boyfriend/husband.

[quote name='Lice']I would try to ruin the movie for you guys but I wouldn't want to steal George Lucas' job.[/quote]
LOL, nice! :D

Yeah, I would have to say I was disappointed as well.
Last Crusade ended the franchise on such a high note, that if IJatKotCS ends up to truly being the last film, I will feel like it ended on a low point now.
There needs to be at least one more with LIMITED input from Lucas to bring the series back to a high point.

I really enjoyed the first hour, the warehouse scene was great.
The ants were cool, and i like how they touched on Marcus and Henry Sr. for the fans.

However, my 2 biggest complaints are
a) Barely any whip use and Indy doesn't shoot a single red commie bastard...all the Russian villains somehow died of their own mistakes. Come on, Indy killed people in cold blood in 3 movies!

b) the very last scene would have been the PERFECT opportunities for Short Round and Sallah cameos...totally a wasted opportunity!!!

Just came back from seeing it and I thought it wasnt as bad as most people are making it out to be. I'd rate it:

Last Crusade > Raiders > Crystal Skull > Temple of Doom

I like some of the references to the previous movies
especially the Ark in Area 51
. The thing that bugged me the most was
Indy surviving the nuclear blast and the aliens at the end

Other then that, I'll probably go see it again. Enjoyed it much more than Iron Man.

I watched the movie today (not having watched previous Indy films, 'cept bits and parts). Yeah, I thought many parts of the film were a bit farfetched, even for a Lucas/Speilberg film. Felt like a family movie though, not much in terms of adult oriented scenes (barely any blood like someone posted), most likely because Lucasfilms is associated with Disney perhaps. I'm not much of a Shia Leboeuf fan, but I think he did fine acting his part, but could've been better.

And this may be weird, but I was oddly attracted to the villainess of the movie. Is there something wrong with me?

edit: oh yeah, got a free Large shirt along with the ticket. It's incredibley cheap looking, but hey, it's free.

It was a great movie, better than Temple of Doom.

I think all the complaints about it beng too unbelievable are completely unfounded, except
for the nuclear blast thing
. All the people complaining about realism must not have seen the originals in a while

I loved it. and Zen Davis, You're still an asshole for lying.

It was a great movie, although George Lucas can suck my crystal Cock....
get your aliens outta my Indy.

After seeing the movie, I don't mind Shia taking the lead. :)

Ok

Here goes.

What I liked

The use of the classic "punch/slap" sound from the original trilogy every time someone was hit.

The Greaser(biker) vs Jock fight. :applause:

The stunts, but some of them felt somewhat aided by wires.

The special effects

The music, but there was too much of Raiders music in my opinion. Williams used some of the notes from War of the Worlds where the tripod makes it's first appearance during the scene where they start activating that sand thing on top of the temple. I picked this up almost instantly.

What I didn't like.

The lack of Cameos. The ending wedding scene could have had a number of cameos, including Sala, Willie, Short Round and so on.

The cameo of the ark. Not needed, but I guess Lucas wants to make it cannon by establishing that the Ark is located in Area 51.

The whole nuclear blast scene. Indy should NOT have survived the blast nor being thrown clear of the primary blast zone unscratched. Considering the breach at a top secrete military facility near by, the test should have been aborted. Visually impressive but not needed.

What I have mixed feelings about.
The FBI giving Indy a hard time after the area 51 incident. Despite one military officer vouching for him. Apparently Indy was in the service and eventually obtained a Coronal rank. That wasn't good enough because his friend was a commie supporter. Him loosing his job or forced to take a leave of absence was not needed. There was no long term consequences after the first act and by the end of the movie he was an "Assistant Dean". How this happened or why this didn't happen earlier is beyond me.

The Aliens at the end. I didn't hate them, but just wondering what was their point in the movie?

Irina. Did she have psychic powers or just fucking with Indy? She wanted all knowledge from the aliens but ended up being dissolved/transported to the alien ship.

The crazy old guy knew a lot more about the aliens than realized.

Mutt being Indy's son.

The scene where Mutt picks up the hat and is moments from putting it on would have been a perfect opportunity for Indy to give him the hat as a passing of the torch but for him to take it back was just sad.

What happened to the classic Indiana Jones logo??!??!?!?! Instead we get a generic title card.

I fucking loved it. Delighted, giddy, wonderful.
Yeah, cameos at the end would have been clever, but whatcha gonna do.

They also did the impossible, in my opinion: they created a better end to the franchise than the legendary "riding into the sunset" bit from Last Crusade. Sure, the imagery of Last Crusade's finale is terrific and iconic (even though it far from invented that visual, Crusade totally perfected it), but this movie just brought everything to a close in a much more secure way, which, at this point, I'm glad to see Indy get.

[quote name='ITDEFX']What happened to the classic Indiana Jones logo??!??!?!?! Instead we get a generic title card.[/QUOTE]
Uh, you must not have seen any of the old movies in a while, because the only one of them to actually use the franchise logo seen here in the titles sequence is Temple of Doom. Raiders and Last Crusade both have the exact same title stylings as Crystal Skull.

[quote name='anomynous']You guys do realize that the Crystal Skull(s) is(are) real, right?[/quote]

Yeah, but they don't look like alien skulls. There isn't anything convincing about the real one(s) being extraterrestrial. IMO the only real mystique about them is how well they were crafted.

[quote name='Lice']I would try to ruin the movie for you guys but I wouldn't want to steal George Lucas' job.[/QUOTE]

:applause::applause::applause:

[quote name='yukine']Well if you don't mind the movie being completely spoiled I'll clarify that a bit

Again though I enjoyed it, quite a bit actually, I just couldn't let some things go apparently. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Ok, now that's even WORSE than what you originally posted.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']

Uh, you must not have seen any of the old movies in a while, because the only one of them to actually use the franchise logo seen here in the titles sequence is Temple of Doom. Raiders and Last Crusade both have the exact same title stylings as Crystal Skull.[/quote]

Oops, your right, over the weekend the only thing I got a chance to catch was Temple from start to finish.

saw it last night and enjoyed it immensely. the group i saw it with agreed it took a pretty steep nose-dive into "retarded" during the later part of the third act, but i'd already checked my brain at the door when indy
survived a nuclear blast
. its the only film in recent memory where we all seemed to agree that, while we could completely tear it apart for being so ridiculous, it was just a really fun movie. during the bit where
shia turns into tarzan and befriends a legion of monkeys
, my friend leaned over to me and said "...what?!" all i could respond with was "honestly, i'm ok with this." it was over the top, completely unbelievable, and absolutely ridiculous, and i still thought it was awesome.

and i really don't get all the hate for shia. he hasn't really shown he's capable of great work, at least not yet, but i've either enjoyed or at least not been offended by anything he's made so far. i actually thought he was really good in this flick. when he first popped up, i kind of cringed, but by the diner scene i was pretty much sold. the nervous tick with the comb was a nice touch, and he seemed to be getting into it and enjoying himself just as much as the rest of the cast.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I thought LeBeouf was terrific. Really played the greaser well.[/quote]

I agree, I thought he did a great job as well.

Just saw it. WTF was that? Monkeys attacking Ruskies, Shia swinging on vines, wtf?

It was so bad I consider it awesome.

I totally wanted the alien skeletons to start moving like the skeleton warriors from the Conan movie, that woulda been icing on the cake

[quote name='yukine']I agree, I thought he did a great job as well.[/QUOTE]
I remember that with Transformers, while I love that movie and thought he was good in it, I didn't necessarily the theater thinking "man, that Shia LeBeouf (who I'd never heard of before) is gonna be huge." But after seeing his performance in Indy, I definitely think this guy could really go places, so I'll probably keep an eye out for him now.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Shia swinging on vines, wtf?[/QUOTE]
The series doesn't really have a reputation for realism...

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']The series doesn't really have a reputation for realism...[/quote]

Definitely agreed. Though with the older films there would be a suspension of disbelief every 45 minutes, where KOTCS seemed to be throwing stuff at us every 10 minutes. They over did it to the point the whole thing felt like it was in the world of speed racer.
once the amphibious vehicle drove off a cliff, into a tree that gently put them into the water, then they proceeded to go over 3 water falls, ,each varying to end up at an epic fall, and make it out okay, you knew that Indy was going to make it through it all. There was no danger or suspense during the action. The first three where more like stunt films rather than slapstick.

[quote name='Lice']Definitely agreed. Though with the older films there would be a suspension of disbelief every 45 minutes, where KOTCS seemed to be throwing stuff at us every 10 minutes. They over did it to the point the whole thing felt like it was in the world of speed racer.
once the amphibious vehicle drove off a cliff, into a tree that gently put them into the water, then they proceeded to go over 3 water falls, ,each varying to end up at an epic fall, and make it out okay, you knew that Indy was going to make it through it all. There was no danger or suspense during the action. The first three where more like stunt films rather than slapstick.
[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. I realize the other Indy films were cheesy, but this one was just outright unbelievable.

He fucking hid in a fridge to survive a nuclear bomb that landed right on top of him. I realize it was lead-lined, but jesus c'mon, David Koepp couldn't think of another way for him to escape? REALLY?

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Totally agree. I realize the other Indy films were cheesy, but this one was just outright unbelievable.

He fucking hid in a fridge to survive a nuclear bomb that landed right on top of him. I realize it was lead-lined, but jesus c'mon, David Koepp couldn't think of another way for him to escape? REALLY?
[/quote]

I said "You're fucking kidding me, right?" after I realized what was about to happen - as that is a load of crap. Rainbow-colored poo poo.
Another "You're fucking kidding me, right?" moment was the ape chase.
We've seen spirits from tombs, melting skulls, and this was the scene where I thought, "You're fucking kidding me, right?"

On a positive note, Labeouf wasn't as annoying as I expected him to be. Me, praise the Labeouf? The sky is falling.

Called up a friend who caught the 11 pm showing last night. Said he liked but that wasn't what caught me off guard, told me only 12 people were in the theater?! Crap I wish I could have gone to that showing instead of tonight since i'm sure it will be packed

[quote name='JolietJake']Whirlpool should use that bomb scene in a commercial for a fridge. "So tough it can survive a nuclear blast."[/quote]

:rofl: don't be surprised

bread's done
Back