Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull discussion

[quote name='cgarb84']I am so fucking tired of hearing this. My tastes haven't changed, I watched the first 3 Indy movies about 3 or 4 times each in the last month. I still love them and appreciate them for being great action adventure movies. I then saw Indy 4.

Yeah it fucking sucked. Sorry no nostalgic blinders on here, 4 was a mess. There were so many problems with it I can't even name them all. I can't stand it when someone says they hated 4 and then other people say it's because of their nostalgia for it, that their expectations were too high.

People hated 4 because it was a piece of shit that wasn't necessary and should never have been made.[/quote]
wow calm down dude it wasnt bad at all.

I thought it was pretty damn good. Have seen it twice, once with a colleague on a business trip Friday and with my girlfriend tonight.

Not the best of the series, but not the worst either. It fits well with the earlier movies IMO, which is impressive given the long break in the series.

This doesn't really need spoilers, but I will anyway
537074566_accordingtoindyfansbyantsaoi.jpg

[quote name='anomynous']This doesn't really need spoilers, but I will anyway
537074566_accordingtoindyfansbyantsaoi.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's pretty much it. :D I actually dug the story in this one, not that the story in the previous one is bad.

I've just always liked the legends related to the Mayan/whatever ancient civilizations and
aliens

At any rate, I don't get the complaints of this story being more farfetched, cheesy etc. than the earlier movies. I've never taken the series remotely seriously, just good popcorn flicks.

I can get if people didn't like Shia, Blanchett etc. etc., but the story really isn't any more far fetched than the other movies.

I think it's because all of the previous Indy movies dealt with old myths and legends, thigns that ahve been talked about and looked for for centuries.

ETs are still a fairly new concept.

I guess I could sort of see that, but the legends of ETs visiting the Mayans, Egyptians etc. go back pretty damn far as well. I mean yeah, the hyroglyphics, mayan art etc. wasn't discovered as long ago, but the stories depected in them are thousands of years old.

But to each their own.

[quote name='cgarb84']I am so fucking tired of hearing this. My tastes haven't changed, I watched the first 3 Indy movies about 3 or 4 times each in the last month. I still love them and appreciate them for being great action adventure movies. I then saw Indy 4.

Yeah it fucking sucked. Sorry no nostalgic blinders on here, 4 was a mess. There were so many problems with it I can't even name them all. I can't stand it when someone says they hated 4 and then other people say it's because of their nostalgia for it, that their expectations were too high.

People hated 4 because it was a piece of shit that wasn't necessary and should never have been made.[/quote]

Wah wah wah.

It was ok. Not exactly great but it wasn't all bad and was worth the ticket price IMO. I didn't expect the ending though. That kinda threw it off for me

Okay. The first 40 minutes of the movie were amazing. Then basically the script fell apart. All there is to it. The first tomb raid was too low key with not enough booby traps. The revelation of the son in the quicksand was done in a situation where it really didn't feel life threatening. And had they used better CG, it would have been easier to stand.

The thing with the fridge worked though for me. I imagine seeing it as a little kid and thinking that it would be awesome. The only problem I had with the scene is that Indy escapes from the Russians only to wander onto a nuclear test site? It would be more conceivable if he had gotten caught by them in the first placeand had been left to fry in the nuke blast instead.

Well remember
When the Russians first showed their true colors, in the convoy, by shooting the guards at the gate? They specifically said the place was off limits due to weapons testing. The place was designated testing site for weapons. That's why Indy was smack in the middle of a nuke test.

[quote name='MikeHoncho']It was ok. Not exactly great but it wasn't all bad and was worth the ticket price IMO. I didn't expect the ending though. That kinda threw it off for me[/QUOTE]

Didn't expect what?
The whole temple being a spaceship that takes off afterwards?
I have to say I rarely predict the end of movies as I'm watching them, but that one was so obvious even I saw it coming from miles away. I can't believe anyone could miss it.

[quote name='JolietJake']I think it's because all of the previous Indy movies dealt with old myths and legends, thigns that ahve been talked about and looked for for centuries.

ETs are still a fairly new concept.[/quote]

Not only that, the grand majority of people believe, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that god exists, and the bible is at least "mostly" fact, whereas aliens are pure fallacy.

I saw the movie yesterday, and I enjoyed it alot, but I felt it lost the series charm for the most part. The only parts I had real gripes with were these
Indy surviving a direct nuclear blast in a refrigerator and him surviving 3 waterfalls in a row.

With all that being said though, I got shivers down my spine whenever the Iconic song played, and that was almost worth the price of admission.

I'm tired of the Politically Correct sterilization of movies.

In Raiders, Indy shot many people in cold blood, the Cairo Swordsman scene is handsdown one of the greatest scenes ever filmed.

In Temple, Indy lost his gun to help even out the odds against the sword carrying enemies, understandable.

In Last Crusade, Indy mows down a room full of Nazis with a machine gun and later shoots through 3 soldiers with a pistol, but note that these were with their own weapons.

In KOTCS, Indy draws his gun once and never fires it. All the villains died as the result of their own actions or in some clever way (blowgun) that didn't involve Indy shooting anyone.

It all comes back to that Lucas desire to have Greedo shoot first. It's no longer acceptable to have a hero kill a villain to protect himself???

I just got back from a two-week class in Greece yesterday. On the last night, our flight home was too early to start drinking, so a few of us found a roof-top cinema in Athens playing this instead. I'd like to say that the movie was great, but having the lit-up Acropolis to the very left of the screen definitely had some influence on that feeling. I'll reserve judgment until I can see it under normal circumstances.

I will say that the only big problem I had with the movie was that goddamn monkey scene. I'd also like to point out that the end of the chase scene in the university library retained some of that original trilogy magic, but hasn't been mentioned by anybody yet.

Hmm I was tired last night when I posted and made it sound like I was more pissed than I actually was. I was just trying to say that Indy 4 sucked imo. If this movie didn't have Indiana Jones in it we would all laugh at how terrible it was. I don't think that is the case with the other three movies. Maybe the Temple of Doom but I even like that one quite a bit.

I think Lucas is getting a little wishy washy in his old age. Most of his new films have a definite Disney feel to them.

[quote name='JolietJake']I think Lucas is getting a little wishy washy in his old age. Most of his new films have a definite Disney feel to them.[/QUOTE]
Episode III felt Disney? :whistle2:s Damn, son, what Disney have you been seeing lately (except for Pirates, of course, which is sort of an exception to the rule...)?

Anyways, the weekend numbers are in and holy shit:
indianajonesandthekingdod5.png

That is huge. I expected a mega-blockbuster, of course, but wow....

I saw it last night. It was on par with the old Indiana Jones movies. CGI effects were a bit over the top, but the movie was good fan service.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Episode III felt Disney? :whistle2:s Damn, son, what Disney have you been seeing lately (except for Pirates, of course, which is sort of an exception to the rule...)?

That is huge. I expected a mega-blockbuster, of course, but wow....[/quote]

Disney movie :rofl:

Anyways from wiki

The film will need to gross at least US$400 million worldwide to make a profit for Paramount. Unlike other film franchises, they are only the distributor of Indiana Jones, whose copyright is owned by Lucasfilm, and their original deal entailed they would only earn 12.5% of the film's revenue. As the $185 million budget was larger than the original $125 million estimate,[96] Lucas, Spielberg, and Ford turned down large upfront salaries so Paramount could cover the film's costs. Paramount will only see a profit beyond its distribution fee if it grosses over $400 million. At that point Lucas, Spielberg, Ford, and those with smaller profit-sharing deals will also begin to collect their cut.[79]
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was released Thursday May 22[103] In its opening weekend, the film grossed an estimated $101,000,000 in 4,260 theaters in the United States and Canada, and it averaged $23,708 per theater, ranking #1 at the box office,[104] and making it the third biggest opening of all time.[105] It also made $143 million overseas, amounting to a $269 million gross during its four-day opening weekend.[106] in North America and grossed $25 million its opening day.

Well if it makes another 100 million world wide, then Paramount will be very happy.

Just saw the movie. I hate George Lucas. Can't he just give money to a director that hasn't lost his mind?

The movie caters too much to little kids. Just like when Lucas fucked up the first episodes of Star Wars, and fucked up ET.

I agree with youbastards when he talked about how Indy killed a bunch of people in the first three movies, and in this one he draws his gun once and you never see it again after that.
And then his friend turns on him and when Indy is captured he says, "When I'm free, I'm going to break your nose."
Oooooo Scary threat. Boy that would have me shaking. :roll:

The forest car chase seen lasted way too long. The monkey vine swinging was stupid. Refrigerator thing was stupid, he would have died from the freakin' impact. And the inter-dimensional alien shit was too much.

And he shoved the references down our throats waaay too much. I understand that it was the same warehouse that they put the Ark. I got it as soon as I saw the inside. That was cool. However, I didn't need the extra stupid reference of the broken box showing the ark. C'mon Lucas, we got the reference the first time. Shoving it down our throats just makes it less cool. When it showed the Ark it just felt like a comic that has to explain his joke.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Episode III felt Disney? :whistle2:s Damn, son, what Disney have you been seeing lately (except for Pirates, of course, which is sort of an exception to the rule...)?

That is huge. I expected a mega-blockbuster, of course, but wow....[/quote]He had to do 3 that way for it to make sense, otherwise it would have been just as kid friendly as the other two.

Even in Episode 3, Anakin was still a whiney brat.

[quote name='JolietJake']He had to do 3 that way for it to make sense, otherwise it would have been just as kid friendly as the other two.

Even in Episode 3, Anakin was still a whiney brat.[/quote]

Yea but he ended up killing all sorts of jedi and getting the rest of his limbs chopped off and got burned crispy.

I do miss the bad guys getting "splattered" and blood going on something :(

[quote name='Greetard']
I'd also like to point out that the end of the chase scene in the university library retained some of that original trilogy magic, but hasn't been mentioned by anybody yet.
[/quote]

Hmm...you're right, that scene and the line spoken by Indy had that original trilogy magic.

[quote name='cgarb84']If this movie didn't have Indiana Jones in it we would all laugh at how terrible it was.[/quote]

This pretty much sums up how I feel.

You know some of this promotional materials with him pulling his whip back that I have seen at Kmart makes him look really, really old. Yes I know he's old, but usually the marketing department fixes these things before it gets printed.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Yea but he ended up killing all sorts of jedi and getting the rest of his limbs chopped off and got burned crispy.

I do miss the bad guys getting "splattered" and blood going on something :([/quote]
Yeah, but we knew that was coming, thats the problem with prequels, you kind of know whats going to happen. Obi Wan had no choice to leave him there to burn, he was fucking evil. In the old Indy movies though, Indy would shoot someone dead when he could have just as easily shot them in the leg or something. Now though, he can't even do that.

Now he has to go into therapy with the bad guys and help them work out their homicidal tendencies. :lol:

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Not only that, the grand majority of people believe, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that god exists, and the bible is at least "mostly" fact, whereas aliens are pure fallacy.[/QUOTE]

Guess that's why I had no problem with it, since I'm pretty sure there probably is life somewhere else out there in the Universe, while I 100% don't believe in god or any kind of supreme being/creator.

Thus this story, if any thing, seemed less far-fetched than the 1st and 3rd one. That said, I still loved those movies, so I have problems buying the "far fetched" story being the reason so many people didn't like it. To each their own, but it seems like there are more "valid" flaws with the film that turned people off more so than the story involving aliens.

My girlfriend is a hardcore catholic... I don't think she's ever seen the Original Trilogy so I was thinking how to explain it's a good movie without making it look like against catholicism. There are records that the Nazi's and Hitler went looking for all sorts of religious artifacts. Just trying to justify 1 and 3, but the whole voodoo cult in 2, can't explain that because that has nothing to do with it.

[quote name='JolietJake']Yeah, but we knew that was coming, thats the problem with prequels, you kind of know whats going to happen. Obi Wan had no choice to leave him there to burn, he was fucking evil. In the old Indy movies though, Indy would shoot someone dead when he could have just as easily shot them in the leg or something. Now though, he can't even do that.
[/quote]

Yes, but I did not expect that it was Palpatine who ordered the clones to attack the jedi as the OT said Vader hunted them down and didn't mention the clones. So in fact it was the Clones who did the dirty work.

Still to this day it's hard to believe that the cloners would go along with implanting a command to each clone that if one says "Execute Order 66" it turns every clone who hears it against their jedi generals. Please tell me the Kaminidians (or whatever) aren't that stupid to allow such action to be implanted into each clone so they would kill the jedi in cold blood.

They never even mention if they did it willingly or were forced etc..
Maybe Palpatine told them they'd have a position in the empire if they cooperated.

[quote name='JolietJake']They never even mention if they did it willingly or were forced etc..
Maybe Palpatine told them they'd have a position in the empire if they cooperated.[/quote]

oh I thought maybe one of those in between novels explained this in detail as the EP2/EP3 book doesn't say anything about this. Surprisingly this type of mass murder instruction just happened to "slip" into the clone's programing. They seemed so nice in Episode 2 that I doubt they would have gone along with this have they had known other wise they would have told someone.

[quote name='ITDEFX']You know some of this promotional materials with him pulling his whip back that I have seen at Kmart makes him look really, really old. Yes I know he's old, but usually the marketing department fixes these things before it gets printed.[/quote]

It's not the best example since it's a soda can, but the Dr. Pepper cans with that picture also make him look much older than Ford actually is.

I liked the movie better than some,
and while I don't mind the premise of Aliens, because that is a religion around the world, just like Christianity, how it was portrayed was horrible. So if the skulls are together they form a supreme being, how was the skull stolen in the first place? And when they are brought together they come together and just leave? The waterfall scene/refigerator scene were too over the top for me.
But overall, I didn't think it was horrible, but considering how Awesome Raiders and Last Crusade are, it was a disappointment.

[quote name='cgarb84']Hmm I was tired last night when I posted and made it sound like I was more pissed than I actually was. I was just trying to say that Indy 4 sucked imo. If this movie didn't have Indiana Jones in it we would all laugh at how terrible it was. I don't think that is the case with the other three movies. Maybe the Temple of Doom but I even like that one quite a bit.[/quote]

Myabe you did not like it, but that doesn't make what I said false. I did not see a difference between the series in terms of structure. All have a annoying side kick (Short Run, Shia, Sallah, that annoying double spy in chick in Crusade) and all ended with some one being physically mutilated by some force or animal, and all had a girl who helped just enough at the end to save indy.

[quote name='cindersphere']Myabe you did not like it, but that doesn't make what I said false. I did not see a difference between the series in terms of structure. All have a annoying side kick (Short Run, Shia, Sallah, that annoying double spy in chick in Crusade) and all ended with some one being physically mutilated by some force or animal, and all had a girl who helped just enough at the end to save indy.[/quote]

Saying that Sallah is annoying is an UBER FAIL. Him and Brody made the Last Crusade as much as Ford and Connery. Oh yeah, and Short Round kicked ass too.

Also, despite my hate for KotCS, Shia was quite good and definitely not the movie's problem.

[quote name='JolietJake']The books aren't official anyway, so even if they did say in one of them, it wouldn't necessarily be canon.[/quote]

Which books aren't official.

I mean the people who made the clones would probably do anything to them if the price was right. Money is the ultimate factor in all of this.

So how would everyone rank the movies? After seeing KotCS twice and having a couple days to reflect on them I'd put them:

Raiders
Last Crusade
Crystal Skull
Temple of Doom

[quote name='InuFaye']Which books aren't official.

I mean the people who made the clones would probably do anything to them if the price was right. Money is the ultimate factor in all of this.[/quote]

Still don't get who the hell paid for all this? An operation like this would be mega expensive and someone will notice a few trillion republic credits missing from the vault. Or was it payment on delivery, which the republic Palpatine never did.

[quote name='dmaul1114']So how would everyone rank the movies? After seeing KotCS twice and having a couple days to reflect on them I'd put them:

Raiders
Last Crusade
Crystal Skull
Temple of Doom[/quote]

I like to put it as

Raiders
Temple of Doom
Crystal Skull
Last Crusade

[quote name='ITDEFX']Still don't get who the hell paid for all this? An operation like this would be mega expensive and someone will notice a few trillion republic credits missing from the vault. Or was it payment on delivery, which the republic Palpatine never did.[/quote]

I have not watched episode III, but didnt the chancellor turn evil right around the time that the clones were to be delivered, and thus could use any money that the senate had?

[quote name='InuFaye']I have not watched episode III, but didnt the chancellor turn evil right around the time that the clones were to be delivered, and thus could use any money that the senate had?[/QUOTE]

No Star Wars talk, dammit! fuck Star Wars - This is INDY !

[quote name='ITDEFX']Still don't get who the hell paid for all this? An operation like this would be mega expensive and someone will notice a few trillion republic credits missing from the vault. Or was it payment on delivery, which the republic Palpatine never did.[/quote]

I imagine payment was not going to be due till Kamino-ians could prove the clones weren't a bunch of chuckle heads.

By that time, Palpatine had been granted the emergency power and declares his first order is to create the grand army of the republic. No eye brows would be raised anymore.

Now, based on the EU (Which I think carries as much weight as fan fiction)...10 years prior to Episode II, Sifo-Dyas foresaw the upcoming war between the old Republic and the Separatists. He alerted Palpatine to his vision. At the secret request of Senator Palpatine, Dyas requested the clone army be created. Dooku leaves the Jedi order and joins Darth Sidious and the Separatists. Dooku alerts Sidious to the army plot. Sidious asks Dooku to kill Dyas in order to prove his allegiance to the Dark Side. Thus, the whole "Dyas ordered the clone army" becomes a cover story to avoid casting suspicion that Palpatine is ultimately responsible for the creation of the clone army and that the whole conflict is a rouse.

To place the topic back on Indy, it was reasonably well done. I did feel like everyone involved had nothing better to do than churn out another sequel to a popular franchise. Which I didn't really mind.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I like to put it as

Raiders
Temple of Doom
Crystal Skull
Last Crusade[/quote]

Seriously? You think Last Crusade is worse than Temple of Doom and KOTCS?

Mine would be:

Last Crusade
Raiders
And then Temple of Doom/ Kingdom of the Crystal Skull tied.

I have the same problems with both. Too many over the top action scenes and a story that doesn't make sense.

Seeing how some were talking about star wars I dont see my question that much off topic. I was looking to get the first 3 movies on dvd only after seeing that they now have 2 box sets I was wondering what one was the better buy? In other words what one has the better picture quality and more extras.

[quote name='dmaul1114']So how would everyone rank the movies? After seeing KotCS twice and having a couple days to reflect on them I'd put them:

Raiders
Last Crusade
Crystal Skull
Temple of Doom[/quote]

I'd put Raiders of the Lost Ark at the top, of course. I liked Last Crusade more than Temple of Doom, but Kingdom of the Crystal Skull more than Temple of Doom. So, in short, I agree. ;) Also, I found did not find Shia annoying in this movie, and this comes from me, a notorious opposer of Shia Labeouf.

The reason why I put Temple over Kingdom and Crusade is that temple was really gruesome for it's time. I remembered freaking out when the cult leader pulled out the guy's heart, dropped him into the lava pit and the heart burns in the guys hand while he laughs histerlically.

The bad guys got it good at the end of Raiders, and the bad guy at the end of Crusade just got old real quick. Kingdom the bad guys just got set to another dimension.

But still if you want gruesome deaths, it's Temple of Doom over everything else.

bread's done
Back