Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull discussion

Has anyone bought any of the toys? Seems Hulk stuff is pushing Iron man and Transformers stuff out of the way and making things tough for Indy.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']
I don't consider this movie to be canon.[/quote]
it could have easily been made into a DTV or tv movie.

[quote name='JolietJake']Everyone wants those stupid Hulk hands.[/quote]

Yep, just like "The Thing's" hands from last years RoTSS.

I dunno, I think Fate of Atlantis could have made an excellent movie.

Aren't those just rehashes from the Ang Lee movie? I could've sworn they did some Hulk hands when that movie came out.

Sad thing about this new Hulk movie is that Indy will probably make money that weekend than it will on it's debut weekend. Even the CG from the trailer looks weaker than anything in the Crystal Skull. Although that's probably cause they didn't have ILM working on the effects.

All this talk about the movie has me wondering something. Where the fuck is that next gen Indy game? I know Lego IJ is coming this summer, but nothing has been mentioned about the one with the hyped new game engine they're using. But maybe it'll come out around the DVD release of KofCS?

[quote name='tangytangerine']Aren't those just rehashes from the Ang Lee movie? I could've sworn they did some Hulk hands when that movie came out.

Sad thing about this new Hulk movie is that Indy will probably make money that weekend than it will on it's debut weekend. Even the CG from the trailer looks weaker than anything in the Crystal Skull. Although that's probably cause they didn't have ILM working on the effects.

All this talk about the movie has me wondering something. Where the fuck is that next gen Indy game? I know Lego IJ is coming this summer, but nothing has been mentioned about the one with the hyped new game engine they're using. But maybe it'll come out around the DVD release of KofCS?[/quote]

I think the FF (both movies) "thing" hands are nearly from the same mold. Does it matter if it's orange or green? Still big hands.

What do you mean ILM didn't do the effects for Crystal Skull? All that stuff in the trailer and in the main movie was done by ILM.

As for the new 3-d Indiana Jones game... it may have been quietly scrapped.

If it hasn't been announced by now for a fall release, then it may never show up...unless the movie turns out so successful that work my resume on it.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I think the FF (both movies) "thing" hands are nearly from the same mold. Does it matter if it's orange or green? Still big hands.

What do you mean ILM didn't do the effects for Crystal Skull? All that stuff in the trailer and in the main movie was done by ILM.

As for the new 3-d Indiana Jones game... it may have been quietly scrapped.

If it hasn't been announced by now for a fall release, then it may never show up...unless the movie turns out so successful that work my resume on it.[/QUOTE]

I think they were saying ILM didnt do them for the new Hulk movie.

Also going back to my question, does anyone know what box set is the better buy of the indiana jones movies? I'm looking for picture quality and extras. from what I keep hearing the older one is the better buy.

[quote name='ITDEFX']As for the new 3-d Indiana Jones game... it may have been quietly scrapped.

If it hasn't been announced by now for a fall release, then it may never show up...unless the movie turns out so successful that work my resume on it.[/quote]

Meh. No great loss. They've yet to produce a worthwhile 3D Indy action game (with the possible exception of the LEGO game, of course).

All I want is another Indy point-and-click adventure.

Please?

[quote name='sendme']I think they were saying ILM didnt do them for the new Hulk movie.

Also going back to my question, does anyone know what box set is the better buy of the indiana jones movies? I'm looking for picture quality and extras. from what I keep hearing the older one is the better buy.[/quote]

oh didn't know they were talking about the new hulk.

As for the new set, read this
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/dvdreviewsnews.php?id=44645

I bought it just for the heck of it. You decide if it's worth it.

[quote name='Tybee']Meh. No great loss. They've yet to produce a worthwhile 3D Indy action game (with the possible exception of the LEGO game, of course).

Please?[/quote]

I do.

I just went ahead and ordered the old box set from amazon. It was under 30 bucks with shipping. Almost wish I would have just held off and got them all on BD when the fourth one came out this summer. Still might if they are not much more for the set then just getting the fourth one even though i think it is crap.

I bet those Hulk hands generate more profit than the movies. :whistle2:#

I've been going through the original trilogy for the first time with my boyfriend, who's already seen them all. The first one was fun, if flawed, but still fun and a good movie for its time. Temple of Doom was pure ass though. Holy shit I wanted Willie to be murdered the whole damn movie. The dialogue was George Lucas terrible (how fitting). The only really good things about it were 1. Short Round and 2. Harrison Ford was hot. Worth seeing once for the cuteness that is Short Round, but never again. We'll probably watch Last Crusade next weekend.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I've been going through the original trilogy for the first time with my boyfriend, who's already seen them all. The first one was fun, if flawed, but still fun and a good movie for its time. Temple of Doom was pure ass though. Holy shit I wanted Willie to be murdered the whole damn movie. The dialogue was George Lucas terrible (how fitting). The only really good things about it were 1. Short Round and 2. Harrison Ford was hot. Worth seeing once for the cuteness that is Short Round, but never again. We'll probably watch Last Crusade next weekend.[/quote]

To me ToD was more memorable for the cult scenes. I am sorry, but I haven't seen any other movie where a cult leader pulls out the heart of his victim while he is still alive and the damn thing still beats and eventually burns in his hands! :hot:

[quote name='ITDEFX']To me ToD was more memorable for the cult scenes. I am sorry, but I haven't seen any other movie where a cult leader pulls out the heart of his victim while he is still alive and the damn thing still beats and eventually burns in his hands! :hot:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that part was cool, the special effects were pretty decent, but Willie pretty much ruined the whole damn movie. I mean seriously, I've never seen anything like it in a movie, except for maybe Jar Jar Binks.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Aren't those just rehashes from the Ang Lee movie? I could've sworn they did some Hulk hands when that movie came out.

All this talk about the movie has me wondering something. Where the fuck is that next gen Indy game? I know Lego IJ is coming this summer, but nothing has been mentioned about the one with the hyped new game engine they're using. But maybe it'll come out around the DVD release of KofCS?[/quote]
Yeah, they did the same thing when the ang lee movie came out, they're probably the same thing repackaged.

[quote name='ITDEFX']428.8 million!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=45580

This movie is now considered to be successful in paramount's eyes. Guess we are going to get an Indy 5 next.[/quote]

Transposed your numbers a bit. It's actually 482.8 million...Essentially half a billion dollars. Amazing.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see them go to the well at least one more time. Crystal Skull was successful enough in my eyes to make me want another one. I still think they need to do an Atlantis plot, be it a reworking of Fate of Atlantis, or something completely different.

And I'll stand up for Temple of Doom. Yes, IMO, it's the weakest of the series (or tied with Crystal Skull), but it has its charms. And believe it or not, I include Willie among them. She's meant to be 100% comic relief, and I think she works perfectly on that level. It's a different dynamic than Raiders, where Marion is posited as a relative equal to Indy. I admire that Spielberg and co. have the courage to go a less formulaic route than, say, the Bond films, in which the women fill the exact same role pretty much every time out. And I'd still take Willie over Ilsa, who had all the personality of a piece of paperboard.

I watched the trilogy on the Sci Fi Channel in high def with my wife a couple weeks ago. She had only seen snippets of each (though she had fond memories of the dinner scene from her youth, specifically the sound of the monkey heads opening). She enjoyed ToD largely because she was able to laugh at Willie (I believe the term she used was "silly bitch"). She also recognized that she probably would have freaked out with all those bugs.

Saw it a the drive-in last weekend (yes there ARE still a few drive-ins in existence).

Easily the weakest of the 4 Indiana Jones movies, but still a fairly enjoyable flick.

I saw both this movie and the newly re-imagined Hulk last night at a drive-in and I can say that I'm glad I only paid $6 total to see both movies. The ending to Indy 4 had me going 'wtf, they waited 19 friggin' years to give the fans a giant middle finger for what may be the FINAL Indy movie?'

The new Hulk flick was ok, funny in spots, but it suffered from the 'too dark to see some of the action' curse of at least ONE other movie I had the displeasure to watch in recent memory(the 're-imagining of Halloween' by the hack known as Rob Zombie). Aside from the ending of this possibly last Indy flick and the dark spots in Hulk, I enjoyed BOTH movies immensely.

[quote name='Tybee']Meh. No great loss. They've yet to produce a worthwhile 3D Indy action game (with the possible exception of the LEGO game, of course).

Please?[/quote]

Indiana Jones and The Emperor's Tomb on Xbox(and PS2, I believe) was a great game, very action packed and the voice actor who did Indy's part did their best to sound like Harrison Ford I thought.

I mean, just the one level with this giant croc..... I did it the HARD way like 20-30 times and became reptile food for my troubles every damn time.

I've heard a lot of people complain about the ending of Crystal Skull. I frankly felt it was fine, and fit perfectly with the themes established early in the film, that being Indy's increased sense of isolation and nostalgia -- losing his father and Marcus, entering old age himself with no family and few friends. Mac and Oxley were established as cautionary (and admittedly extreme) examples of what could lay in store for Indy should he continue down the path of the lone adventurer: go nuts with obsession or be corrupted by greed.

It was time for Indy to have a family. He's earned it. And wasn't it the Indy fanboys lamenting Marion's absence since the first film? Wasn't she the only one for Indy (as he pretty much says flat out when they're in the back of the truck)? So why is his ending up with her such an abomination?

So again, to those who hated the ending, how would you have ended it?

See, I had no problem with Indy becoming a family man at the end of the movie, but the rest of it SUCKED imo.

I mean, the whole 'the crystal skull came from some oooooo space man/"interdimensional beings" ' thing was why I said I thought it was a giant middle finger to the fans who wanted a fourth film for SO long. I liked the fact that Indiana Jones was BACK, but the plot just got SOOOOOO weird at the end there. Sure, I know you could say that the other movies were just as bad, but still, I wasn't going 'wtf just happened' at the end of those.

Personally, because of what I saw at the end of the movie, I hope they DON'T intend to make another.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']See, I had no problem with Indy becoming a family man at the end of the movie, but the rest of it SUCKED imo.

I mean, the whole 'the crystal skull came from some oooooo space man/"interdimensional beings" ' thing was why I said I thought it was a giant middle finger to the fans who wanted a fourth film for SO long. I liked the fact that Indiana Jones was BACK, but the plot just got SOOOOOO weird at the end there. Sure, I know you could say that the other movies were just as bad, but still, I wasn't going 'wtf just happened' at the end of those.

Personally, because of what I saw at the end of the movie, I hope they DON'T intend to make another.[/quote]

Heh I am the complete opposite.

I loved the whole Alien plot, but I thought that the marriage scene at the end was really stupid. I don't why, that is just how I felt.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']See, I had no problem with Indy becoming a family man at the end of the movie, but the rest of it SUCKED imo.

Personally, because of what I saw at the end of the movie, I hope they DON'T intend to make another.[/quote]

Well, we may be in agreement on that point. The
alien stuff from beginning to end (Spalko seeming to make it up as she went..."Oh, we found two more aliens in Russia but they didn't have crystal skulls." "The skulls do not speak to everyone." Huh? I half expected her to start talking about midichlorians) was pretty silly.
You can largely blame Lucas for that, as he was the one who reportedly pushed for those elements. Spielberg wanted to keep it more traditional. This was supposedly their compromise, and I will concede that they did a decent job of fitting the 1950s mythos of UFOs, Roswell, and little green men, etc. into the conspiracy theories about crop circles and aliens building the pyramids and the real crystal skulls. They certainly could have done worse, and I prefer this treatment to the ponderous, "the truth is out there!" faux-gravitas of the X-Files (which we'll be beaten over the head with later this summer).

bread's done
Back