Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull discussion

Just got back from seeing the movie!

It was great, and cool thing was, I saw a lot of 10 year olds there too, some even younger. They were cheering for Indy the whole way through! Looks like Indy is back for today's generation.

I think it's safe to say that this movie is great on it's own. It in no way compares to the previous three - but I like how it wraps up Raiders.

Thumbs up!

Funniest thing was, In the Theatre when I went the room was half packed, however as soon as the chase in the warehouse began and the Theme music came up....Everybody in the theatre was whistling/Humming the theme song :)

Which game? THE GAME YOU JUST LOST?

The refridgerator thing was weak. It had post-1987 Lucas stank all over it, but otherwise, the film was quite enjoyable. Not great, but a fun watch.

An abortion of a movie if there ever was one.

Childhood raped again by Lucas.

Never thought I'd see the day where Temple is a relatively good Jones movie.

This movie sucked. I just saw it and from the start in the warehouse all I could think is WTF. I just have no other words for it other then What the fuck. Are they trying to kill thies movies? First the crap that was star wars 1-3 now this. WTF

Shia LaDouche is indy's son?.....didn't see that one coming.....NOT.

i confused. was this movie supposed to be indiana jones or the x-files?

This movie was awesome. Probably not as good as the other 3, but still not AS bad as everyone is making it out to be. Shouldn't you guys have known that this movie was SUPPOSED to be unrealistic? The way i rememer the trilogy, it was fake action that was cool and fun like Die Hard.

Don't know why everyone is hatin on Shia. He's in every movie nowadays, but i thougt he was great in Indy 4. Im probably going to be alone when i say this, but i think if they made the next movie with Shia as the main character, i would most definetly go see it.

[quote name='becuzimbrown']This movie was awesome. Probably not as good as the other 3, but still not AS bad as everyone is making it out to be. Shouldn't you guys have known that this movie was SUPPOSED to be unrealistic? The way i rememer the trilogy, it was fake action that was cool and fun like Die Hard.

Don't know why everyone is hatin on Shia. He's in every movie nowadays, but i thougt he was great in Indy 4. Im probably going to be alone when i say this, but i think if they made the next movie with Shia as the main character, i would most definetly go see it.[/QUOTE]

Like another poster said, most of us remember the Indy movies as having unrealistic stunts and portions. But this? You're kidding right. This is what happens in like a 10 minute stretch.

Shia Lebouf starts fencing with one foot each on two cars. He then starts swinging across vines and catches up to the cars which are going like 60 mph. After that, the monkeys he just befriended start attacking the Russians. Then giant Siafu ants (which are real) come out and build an ant rope. Then after, Marion drives the car off the cliff and thankfully catches this huge branch on the cliff face, then gently lands in the water. Then they go off of 3 water falls in a row. Then they somehow climb up into the giant waterfall entrance.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Like another poster said, most of us remember the Indy movies as having unrealistic stunts and portions. But this? You're kidding right. This is what happens in like a 10 minute stretch.

Shia Lebouf starts fencing with one foot each on two cars. He then starts swinging across vines and catches up to the cars which are going like 60 mph. After that, the monkeys he just befriended start attacking the Russians. Then giant Siafu ants (which are real) come out and build an ant rope. Then after, Marion drives the car off the cliff and thankfully catches this huge branch on the cliff face, then gently lands in the water. Then they go off of 3 water falls in a row. Then they somehow climb up into the giant waterfall entrance.
[/quote]

I guess you expected it to be more realistic than I did. I mean i thought the
aliens and nuclear blast scenes
were kinda weird, but I didn't hate them.
The sword fighting scene was pretty cool and fun and i guess all of the other scenes like the monkey scene and waterfall scenes were to get kids interested in the series. I remember everytime they fell down the waterfall or a scene were Indy (or Shia, i cant remember) fall down, every ten year old in the theatre laughed out loud.
Sure it was a exaggerated, but the point is, it was enjoyable.

I enjoyed it despite it being quite unrealistic. I need to go back and watch the older ones again; I haven't seem them in years.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']gb2aintitcoolnews.[/QUOTE]

go back to your fucking lucas sympathy group. The only thing that blows harder than aint it cool news are your posts on these forums.

I enjoyed the film, but I wasn't expecting a lot out of it. As soon as the first "major" action sequence took place it set the tone for the entire movie so at that point I just checked off my critical side and enjoyed the "soon to be a ride a Disneyland movie."

yeah, it was a fun watch, but overall a suck in terms of depth and story and relation to the rest of the series. Kinda makes watching Young Indiana Jones less gooderensors.

What I do not get is the movie took place in 1957 and Jones look like he has a lot from the last movie to this one. What year was tha tone set in?

also at the warehouse with the gunpowder wtf. if something was able to do that then they would not be able to hold on to the guns they had. The lights as they moved the coffen moved with it so every light in the place should have been pointing to it. Seeing how old Jones looked and that made me want to walk out then.

[quote name='sendme']What I do not get is the movie took place in 1957 and Jones look like he has a lot from the last movie to this one. What year was tha tone set in?

also at the warehouse with the gunpowder wtf. if something was able to do that then they would not be able to hold on to the guns they had. The lights as they moved the coffen moved with it so every light in the place should have been pointing to it. Seeing how old Jones looked and that made me want to walk out then.
[/QUOTE]

:lol: i wasn't as pissed as you, but agree with you.

this is what i told my friends after seeing this movie.

i enjoyed it. and i think they forgot how cheesey raiders and temple really are (crusade is by far the best still). but i think they are really nostalgic when it comes to the first two, they are filled with tons of unrealistic stuff (giant rolling rocks, high speed rail carts over lava anyone) as this movie was. people just hold it to a higher standard because the trilogy is considered a classic, but when it comes down to it, this movie was more of the same, fun action, cheese ball over-the-top moments, sprinkled with brilliant dialog and one liners. if people want to go see some "great" movie they can go see something like "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (which was a preview before the movie) and then tell me that was better.

These folks take films more seriously than their directors do. I don't think Spielberg nor Lucas want to start another cold war.

[quote name='becuzimbrown']Theres only 2 things in this world i hate:

People that are intolerant of other cultures and the Russians.[/quote]

Just wait til the new russian president goes back the "old ways" and tries to make the world fear the power of mother russia!

wow this movie was so bad i had to force myself to stay awake to finsih it. from start to finish this thing was a turd in a familiar package. heres a list of problems in the film...............everything

that austrian chick could decide whether she was austrian or british because her accent changed every few sentences

fuckin shia the guy was horrible he was the proverbial unintentioanl running joke of the film. he supposed to be cool and hes not, his knife trick suck, that sword fight sucked and only served the purpose to make him more of he focus of the film. seriously he supposed to be the next indiana jones?

wtf is with the animals and shit. first all the damn gophers and then the monkeys?

the only positive in the film was
i think the crazy guy was the wand maker from harry potter.

This didn't feel like an Indiana Jones movie to me. Sure the original 3 had cheesy and over the top scenes, but come on...
Mutt swinging with monkeys?
Indy surviving that nuclear blast by staying in a refrigerator?
I also didn't understand how
the killer ants were attacking the villains, but didn't go for the good guys at all.
It felt like something was missing from Indy's character in this movie...he didn't use his typical dirty fighting tactics, didn't really have any witty one liners, and instead took a backseat to all the other characters. I suppose this is what Spielberg and Lucas were going for...a passing of the torch. However, the
end scene where Indy takes his hat back from Mutt makes the audience believe that the torch hasn't been passed just yet.
. Indy just seemed exhausted throughout the movie. I didn't feel the type of enthusiasm and emotion from his character that I felt from the original ones. Perhaps I should give Harrison a break though; he is pretty old now. All of the 'old geezer' jokes in the movie were pretty funny.

The movie wasn't entirely fail, don't get me wrong. I still enjoyed it for what it was. I think it could have done without the
aliens
and
monkeys
. It was great to see Marion back, and Cate Blanchett looked pretty hot as Spalko =X

P.S.
No Sallah, Short Round, or Willie cameos at the end? Oh come on!

Only good thing about this movie I thought was the sound. Other then the punches that sounded like the old batman tv show it was great.

I was wondering about the gophers also

[quote name='lokizz']the only positive in the film was
i think the crazy guy was the wand maker from harry potter.
[/QUOTE]WTF? I'm an old, old man.

[quote name='y2kenjination'] I also didn't understand how
the killer ants were attacking the villains, but didn't go for the good guys at all.
][/QUOTE]

Seriously?

The skull was making them avoid the area containing it. I didn't think it was that hard to infer that.........

My expectations were low going in but they were still not met. The movie had no soul, it seemed everyone was there just to get a paycheck. The CGI was really bad imo, the script was a jumbled mess, and the entire climax at the end was shit. I really wish this movie was never made, The Last Crusade was a great way to end the Indy story.

Pretty good flick, not great, some unbelievable scenes even worse than the previous movies, but I suspended disbelief at the door and enjoyed seeing Harrison Ford reprise the Indy character. 3 1/2 out of 5 Strells for me.

It was good, not great... just good. I saw the movie for what it was, and I enjoyed it, even with some of the over-the-top scenes. I mean, what Indy movie wasn't over-the-top? ;)

The 4th quarter of the movie was kinda cheesy, but I did enjoy it. :)

another thing
shouldnt indys dad have been alive? he did drink from the grail and last i checked one guy who had and left the cave died of extremely old age
? im still amazed at how many of you liked this film and even worse hw many of you really are saying you think shia was great in the film. to me he was the worst part of it right under the sloppily put together story and the the chessy acting. why couldnt george lucas be honest about this film. if this shitbag really took him 20 years to come up with then he needs to retire.

he should just own up and say ok i needed anther franchise of mine to milk and after raping star wars i figured id dust indy off and knowing harrison probably only has one good race left if drop in this douchebagy guy hollywood is pinning its hopes on to be a new bigtime leading man.

this film is your basic marathon race baton handoff but everyone on team indy fell flat on their asses and got lapped in the process. but hey at least ironman was and is awesome.

[quote name='lokizz']another thing
shouldnt indys dad have been alive? he did drink from the grail and last i checked one guy who had and left the cave died of extremely old age
[/quote]
I believe to prevent yourself from aging at a normal rate, you had to drink from the grail continuously and not just the one time. That's why the last knight from the First Crusade who was protecting the grail was able to live for so long. He stayed in that cave and kept drinking from the grail, and he wouldn't be able to leave with the grail anyways.

I had a tough time watching Speed Racer, I had to force myself to stay awake. I tried seeing it again a second time and I still fell asleep during the movie. I think it should have been a little shorter, 2 hours 15 min is too long for that one. And it wasn't as good as I had hoped, it felt more like it was directed by McG than the Wachowskis.

Also, that chick you were referring to, she wasn't Austrian, she was Russian. I couldn't understand a word she was saying though. But Cate Blanchett who played her, is Australian.

The reaction to this movie has taught me one thing...

People are much more accepting of religious myths than the possibility of extraterrestial life.

It wasnt bad, it just wasnt spectacular... there were some stupid moments in the movie such as the mentioned monkeys... I kinda wish it didnt turn into some quasi-science fiction story with the aliens as well... it seems out of place with the other movies. Harrison Ford still made me laugh from time to time with his protrayal of Indy...

Yes Lucas is looking to continue the series with Mutt becoming the main character, with Ford reprising his role to the extent Connery was protrayed in the 3rd Jones movie

eh maybe if et had shown up then it would have ben somewhat better. then hed reach out with that glowing finger nd instead of healing everyone he burns them to ashes. then cue boba fett landing inhis ship and hed tell et " good job my friend youve earned your freedom".

Just came back from seeing it. I'm really disappointed to say the least. It isn't even that it is a bad Indiana Jones movie, it is a bad movie period. Even Live Free or Die Hard ended the Die Hard series in a better way and that movie was pure crap. I don't care about the CGI scenes or the scenes involving a suspension of disbelief, it just didn't have the magic of the Indiana Jones movies. It had the wild rides and big explosions but it was missing that magical humor. Can't really explain it in words but here are a few scenes from the Last Crusade that have it:

1) When Indiana and his father are being chased on motorcycles and after getting rid of the guys on their tail, Indy kinda laughs to himself as if to pat himself on the back yet his father just gives him a blank look.

2) The scene where everyone thinks Indy died over the cliff and he's panting and wheezing and wondering WTF everyone was looking at over the cliff.

Unfortunately Indy 4 didn't have any of that magical humor.

[quote name='Kendro']Unfortunately Indy 4 didn't have any of that magical humor.[/QUOTE]

I thought that the "Why the hell didn't you make him stay in school?!" line could have come straight from any of the older movies, personally.

[quote name='Kendro']Just came back from seeing it. I'm really disappointed to say the least. It isn't even that it is a bad Indiana Jones movie, it is a bad movie period. Even Live Free or Die Hard ended the Die Hard series in a better way and that movie was pure crap. I don't care about the CGI scenes or the scenes involving a suspension of disbelief, it just didn't have the magic of the Indiana Jones movies. It had the wild rides and big explosions but it was missing that magical humor. Can't really explain it in words but here are a few scenes from the Last Crusade that have it:

1) When Indiana and his father are being chased on motorcycles and after getting rid of the guys on their tail, Indy kinda laughs to himself as if to pat himself on the back yet his father just gives him a blank look.

2) The scene where everyone thinks Indy died over the cliff and he's panting and wheezing and wondering WTF everyone was looking at over the cliff.

Unfortunately Indy 4 didn't have any of that magical humor.[/quote]Yeah, those two scenes from crusade are great. Especially the over the cliff scene.

This movie lacked the awesome deaths from the previous films:
-gutted by plane propeller
-face melted off
-head exploded
-heart ripped out with bare hand
-run over by mine car
-aged into dust

Getting
burned by a rocket, and eaten by ants
is cool, but it sure as hell doesn't beat having your face melt from opening the ark of the covenant.

[quote name='ykcil542']This movie lacked the awesome deaths from the previous films:
-gutted by plane propeller
-face melted off
-head exploded
-heart ripped out with bare hand
-run over by mine car
-aged into dust

Getting
burned by a rocket, and eaten by ants
is cool, but it sure as hell doesn't beat having your face melt from opening the ark of the covenant.[/quote]

that film had major mummy envy with alot of the shit in it. and dont forget the crocodile feeding frenzy at the end of temple of doom. that shit gave me nightmares.

The movie was on par with the earlier movies, I blame most of the let downs on that you saw it when you were younger and your tastes have changed. The only thing that was bad were some of the Mutt scenes and the use of way to much CGI. Indy was defined by gritty special effects that were semi believable.

First movie was the best. It had good writing, good delivery, great editing, and awesome music. The second 2 movies were pretty corny, though. Go watch them again and you can't deny it.

Crystal Skull was mostly just fan service. With corny lines, equally awkward delivery and music that was practically a non-existent character, I felt like I was watching Return of the Jedi all over again. They weren't intended to be serious, though. They're supposed to be entertaining serial adventures. It should make for good humor if it's indeed included in the upcoming game.

Saw it tonight. Here's my opinion in two sentences:

Not enough whip. Too much
aliens

Overall, I enjoyed it and will still rank it over Temple of Doom.

[quote name='cindersphere']The movie was on par with the earlier movies, I blame most of the let downs on that you saw it when you were younger and your tastes have changed. The only thing that was bad were some of the Mutt scenes and the use of way to much CGI. Indy was defined by gritty special effects that were semi believable.[/quote]

I am so fucking tired of hearing this. My tastes haven't changed, I watched the first 3 Indy movies about 3 or 4 times each in the last month. I still love them and appreciate them for being great action adventure movies. I then saw Indy 4.

Yeah it fucking sucked. Sorry no nostalgic blinders on here, 4 was a mess. There were so many problems with it I can't even name them all. I can't stand it when someone says they hated 4 and then other people say it's because of their nostalgia for it, that their expectations were too high.

People hated 4 because it was a piece of shit that wasn't necessary and should never have been made.

bread's done
Back