Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I'm the guy on the message board who has no patience for someone who takes no time and makes no effort to catch up on the months of conversations that have been done to death, only to pop up and make statements that have already been debated every way to Sunday in this very forum and then gets offended when people call him out for it. I mean you literally started your statements by quoting someone who doesn't even share your opinion at all. Nobody asked for your opinion on these subjects and yet here you are spewing garbage that nobody wants to debate further.
I didn't ask for your opinion, but here we are. I'll be posting my opinion here from time to time if you don't like, it find another forum.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Here's a perfect example of your theory, Soldner-X 2 from Play-Asia. https://www.play-asia.com/sldner-x-2-final-prototype-play-asiacom-exclusive-multi-langua/13/70am7p

This was a HUGE title for LRG, and many people complained about not getting it. So shortly after that, the developers offered a 3000 print run at PA for those who may have missed out. That just finally sold out a few days ago. So after a very long time, and many discount codes later, that high demand dried up, once it was no longer "limited".

So while great for Play-Asia, who has warehouses and whatever else to sit on inventory for as long as it takes, LRG does not. It is also a part of LRG business model that since their offerings are limited, they can't and won't do reprints. There are now a few that have happened on the devolopers side and everyone is happy. But for LRG to offer more of a title, or take away the "limited" aspect, they wouldn't sell what they do.

It's a chicken and egg argument, but there is proof that "more", isn't of any benefit to them. Where less has shown to work again and again. Yes, maybe they could make a few thousand more on a particular releases, but why? Their games sell out, they get paid, the developer gets paid, and the train keeps rolling. Their not in business to sell the greatest qty to the greatest amount of people. If a title last more than a few hours, or even days, the "sky is falling" mentality is then an issue. Buyers no longer want it, and charge backs happen.

That is fact, and having more is also a fact of not having worked out. You neither see the truth in the facts, or you don't. I've gotten every game I wanted, and if I missed out, I would buy it elsewhere, or let it go, it's not life threatening either way. It's just a hobby.
The PA version doesn't have the resale value that the LRG version has despite being the same game. Which goes to show that people are buying the games more as a collectors item than a game to actually play. LRG could print put a blank disc in the case and people may never know. I'm not saying that LRG should over produce, and I understand that they must retain that limited status, I felt they can so both and produce more. If you're a gamer who likes physical copies then more copies in the wild aren't a concern, if you're a scalper then that's a huge problem. Right now the business model supports scalpers more than gamers. (That's my opinion from the outside looking in).

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If they increased the stock on certain titles by 20 percent (max), you don't think they'd sell out? Also... they never truly sell out, as they hold extra stock just in case shipments go missing, for other mishaps, and they also have extra for sells at shows. Last year they had extra stock on Black Friday, which wasn't due to the product not selling, but LRG holding onto stock so that they would have something for Black Friday.
Just going to address this bit at the end here. They do not hold back stock for the purpose of selling them on black friday. What was sold on black Friday last year was whatever was leftover from the replacements allotment that was no longer necessary to cover replacements. That and whatever else was lying around because it didn't sell out in the first place.

As some others have mentioned, everything you've brought up has been discussed thoroughly every time someone new enters this thread, with the belief that they have the knowledge to advise how they can make their business better. It's literally nothing new

I got a tracking number for my Summon Night 6 Wonderful Edition from Gaijinworks... scheduled to be delivered next Thursday (which I hope is true, because I'm out of town Sunday until Thursday. 

Wayforward also sent an update for 1/2 Genie Hero KS backers... physical rewards are delayed because they're gonna add more content to the artbook. I guess that's a good thing but I can't help but feel they're just trying to buy more time. If they were gonna do this, they could have announced the delay back in May, which was the email email I have with updates on the backer rewards. 

Doomstink, if you're reading, the majority of us are very happy with all the physical copies you all have produced. Don't get distracted by the noise. Any chance of getting a physical release of Chronicles of Teddy? Maybe Akysys holds all publishing rights, but I would be all over a special physical release with a retro instruction manual print.
Thanks! We're friendly with Aksys but I'm not sure if we've pursued that game. I know we've been looking into something with them, but can't remember what.

Doom, any update on Chroma Squad? I know you're a Power Rangers fan and I'm pretty sure a lot of people would love it if this happens.

They've single handedly and permanently broken US/R1 PS4 and Vita collecting for a lot of people and have not once acknowledged it, instead replying with more cover variants, showing complete disregard or empathy for the damage they've inflicted on those people's collections. That's a bit concerning for a company that is "by collectors for collectors" to not display even the slightest remorse that they have screwed their fellow collectors out of any hope of ever having a complete US PS4 or Vita set, libraries which most had started before LRG even existed.

I haven't missed anything yet but I can be empathetic to those who are screwed now.

Many of these people were probably collecting on newer platforms because older stuff has long been a lost cause for new collectors for years and this was a chance to start from day one. But now it's becoming an equal pain in the ass to collect for current production platforms because of this "limited run" trend. Old games are expensive because they are old and not made anymore and most people threw them away or didn't take care of them. This is the first generation in console gaming where games that came out yesterday are already being scalped at "rare" 30 year old NES/SNES levels of prices from the second they launch.

I'm monitoring another forum where people are tracking physical Switch releases and have started aiming for complete sets there. You should see the level of dread and fear there regarding LRG doing Switch now despite LRG's assurance that they won't be going crazy with Switch. People are happy to see a title getting a release, or the potential for previously confirmed digital only releases getting a LRG physical run. But it's mostly dread and anxiety at possibly having to give up Switch collecting before it starts. The console isn't even a year old or at what 50 physical titles yet and people are already scared.
This made me lol. Do people really take this hobby that seriously? Video game collections being "ruined".. talk about a first world problem.

You can't even feel bad for baker. If this is the greatest problem he faces then clearly he's fed with a golden spoon and has never wiped his own rear.

Just going to address this bit at the end here. They do not hold back stock for the purpose of selling them on black friday. What was sold on black Friday last year was whatever was leftover from the replacements allotment that was no longer necessary to cover replacements. That and whatever else was lying around because it didn't sell out in the first place.

As some others have mentioned, everything you've brought up has been discussed thoroughly every time someone new enters this thread, with the belief that they have the knowledge to advise how they can make their business better. It's literally nothing new
The people in this thread are very sensitive to the topic of increasing stock. Increasing stock is important, and also remaining "limited" is important as well. The ultimate question for me is how of an increase in stock can LRG generate without putting themselves out of business? For scalpers the runs are perfect, for the general consumer not so much. Instead of increasing stock, they could allow 1 per customer in the first morning release, and then do 2 for the later release. It's a general consumer first, scalper's second approach.

The people in this thread are very sensitive to the topic of increasing stock. Increasing stock is important, and also remaining "limited" is important as well. The ultimate question for me is how of an increase in stock can LRG generate without putting themselves out of business? For scalpers the runs are perfect, for the general consumer not so much. Instead of increasing stock, they could allow 1 per customer in the first morning release, and then do 2 for the later release. It's a general consumer first, scalper's second approach.
I wholeheartedly agree with this idea. 😃

Thanks! We're friendly with Aksys but I'm not sure if we've pursued that game. I know we've been looking into something with them, but can't remember what.
Ah cool. That's good to hear that Aksys is friendly with you. In case you haven't checked it out, Chronicles of Teddy is a Zelda 2 / Metroid style game (main character even has the downthrust move). Really nice pixel art and good soundtrack. Seems right up LRG's alley. Developer is a small French company called LookAtMyGame.

Ittle Dew 2+ will be getting the manual & map treatment as well, so I just placed my order.

NintendoWire-Nicalis-IttleDew2-Contents3.jpg

Ah cool. That's good to hear that Aksys is friendly with you. In case you haven't checked it out, Chronicles of Teddy is a Zelda 2 / Metroid style game (main character even has the downthrust move). Really nice pixel art and good soundtrack. Seems right up LRG's alley. Developer is a small French company called LookAtMyGame.
Going by gameplay videos, this game desperately needs a musical score in the background.

Well, no matter what limit they have for their first Switch game... it won't be enough. It's Nintendo so the ridiculous "must buy everything Nintendo" idiots will be coming out of the woodwork. What will be more interesting to see is if LRGs back catalog gains popularity with the hoards of new buyers this will bring in.

99 vidas coming soon from Strictly Limited Games

23120073_10213403669461801_2269720508829397183_o.jpg
Interesting that they keep talking about future releases when they haven't even had one actual release yet. I'd also like to know what the cover will really look like as I believe they will need the big European rating and can't do the covers as pictured.

Beat em ups ftw. One of my all time favorite genres. Really under represented today. Even worse than shmups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We actually passed on signing 99 Vidas a few months ago. It's based on a Brazilian podcast that we had no context for, so while it looked great - it just didn't jive with us since we know absolutely nothing about the podcast, it's cast, or the content they discuss.

Glad someone picked it up, though!

My RCR Switch CE arrived today. Anyone else's manual look like it was cut on a manual paper cutter? Mine is weirdly shaped and the overall print quality is kind of off.

My RCR Switch CE arrived today. Anyone else's manual look like it was cut on a manual paper cutter? Mine is weirdly shaped and the overall print quality is kind of off.
Mine is due later today, but since this is one of many versions of this I own, I had no plans to actually open this copy. LOL

But here's a YT unboxing video, and everything in this guys package looks good, so you may have a defect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpXlqZ1vlT0

EDIT: Just looked at the one other unboxing video, and his looks fine as well. Post some pics of yours if u can, so others will have something to go by for comparison. The manual is by no means high quality, but for what was shown, they look OK "cut" wise.

In general I was disappointed in the quality of the manual and inserts. They were printed on poor quality stock and looked very amateurish. The manual didn't look uneven, but the paper edges were not professionally finished by any stretch. Overall, a disappointing effort.

In general I was disappointed in the quality of the manual and inserts. They were printed on poor quality stock and looked very amateurish. The manual didn't look uneven, but the paper edges were not professionally finished by any stretch. Overall, a disappointing effort.
Is this why the spine of my RCR is a little off red then compared to other Switch games? Doesn't seem to match completely.

Received RCR Switch today. It was nice of them to include the extra covers, but I wish they would have done something other than just fold them around the case without any sort of protection or anything. Kinda weird.

Received RCR Switch today. It was nice of them to include the extra covers, but I wish they would have done something other than just fold them around the case without and sort of protection or anything. Kinda weird.
Agreed, I thought the same thing as well.

Received RCR Switch today. It was nice of them to include the extra covers, but I wish they would have done something other than just fold them around the case without any sort of protection or anything. Kinda weird.
Agreed, I thought the same thing as well.
I feel the same, but in their defense, it was a last minute choice to even include them, so it's understandable why both didn't end up inside the sealed packaging. I just wrapped them tight around the case as they arrived, and just threw it all in a huge ziplock bag nice and snug.

Play-Asia's exclusive Cursed Castilla Ex for Vita is up! Just placed my order! :D
I think it's only available for those that joined the priority pre-order so if you signed up check your e-mail for the link!
(FYI, you need to be signed in for the 'Add to Cart' button to appear)

You can use the code 'GEMATSU' to save $3 on your order. :)

It's done by IndieBox, right? That was my general experience with their printing. Good people, but sloppy. Paper stock was thin, often came with tears on the edges. Once they even printed the case spine upside down and they forgot to even print the title on the spine more than once.

It's done by IndieBox, right? That was my general experience with their printing. Good people, but sloppy. Paper stock was thin, often came with tears on the edges. Once they even printed the case spine upside down and they forgot to even print the title on the spine more than once.
I know they did fulfillment but I don't think they did the assembly/shrinkwrapping for the CE. Could be wrong, though. The manual I received is trapezoidal with the non-stapled end noticeably longer than the stapled end. FWIW, my IndieBox manuals are all cut straight and printed on nice enough stock.

did u guy see the prices for Play Asia Black Friday sale? they call that a sale. what a joke.
Agreed. Decided to check it out to see if there was anything worth getting, mostly vita imports, but everything is retail. What a joke. PA continues to underwhelm

I feel the same, but in their defense, it was a last minute choice to even include them, so it's understandable why both didn't end up inside the sealed packaging. I just wrapped them tight around the case as they arrived, and just threw it all in a huge ziplock bag nice and snug.
I'm just going to keep it in the box it arrived in.

I was under the impression it was V Blank, but the cardboard box it arrived in definitely says IndieBox on it.

Reminder that Cuphead came out today at Best Buy. It is only a digital code in a box, but my local store only had 5 copies. It will be released at a later date with a disc, but if you don’t want to wait it’s a good option.

Reminder that Cuphead came out today at Best Buy. It is only a digital code in a box, but my local store only had 5 copies. It will be released at a later date with a disc, but if you don’t want to wait it’s a good option.
GCU didn’t apply when scanned. It comes up as X1 Digital Code. I got them to apply the 20% off, but YMMV.

bread's done
Back