IndieGameStand Pay-What-You-Want Game Thread

seamoss

CAGiversary!
Feedback
166 (100%)
Current game on sale at the Indie Game Stand:

Steel Storm: Complete Edition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sduihwqilPc

BTA: Steel Storm: Forgotten Prison DLC (?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVtdbzZwB2U

Available for Windows & Linux.

Minimum is $0.25, while $1.00 or more will get you a Desura key, plus a Steam key if it gets greenlit.

Beat the current average for bonus content.

10% of the proceeds will be donated to charity.

Find out if this game has been previously bundled.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been interested in anything from IGS for a few weeks (so I haven't read this thread for a while, so feel free to crucify me if this has been mentioned before) but I just bought The Real Texas (I thought I already had it, but apparently not). 

Anyway, I noticed that clicking the Star above the BTA doesn't set your price at the BTA price anymore, it set it to $2 when the BTA was $1.77.  Very, very sneaky. :lol:

I haven't been interested in anything from IGS for a few weeks (so I haven't read this thread for a while, so feel free to crucify me if this has been mentioned before) but I just bought The Real Texas (I thought I already had it, but apparently not).

Anyway, I noticed that clicking the Star above the BTA doesn't set your price at the BTA price anymore, it set it to $2 when the BTA was $1.77. Very, very sneaky. :lol:
That's because everything is bigger in Texas, even the minimum payment :)

Anyway, I noticed that clicking the Star above the BTA doesn't set your price at the BTA price anymore, it set it to $2 when the BTA was $1.77. Very, very sneaky. :lol:
Good catch. I just went in for a buck when I bought this, so I obviously didn't notice if this was like this for the whole bundle or if it's new. I'll definitely keep this in mind in the future.

My "like" of your post is partially for the head's up, and partially for the Archie Goodwin avatar.

My "like" of your post is partially for the head's up, and partially for the Archie Goodwin avatar.
:lol:

I really need to watch that series again. I got a little sad when I watched Heavens Fall (the scene with Hutton and Chaykin on the train) right after finishing Nero Wolfe because there was no more Nero Wolfe.

New deal is 3089, BTA bonus is Gentrieve 2 (was in an Indie Royale).

If you don't mind waiting, 3089 will probably be in an Indie Royale at some point.

Didn't the 3079 devs basically stop supporting that game and release the same game as 3089 to get more money?  So what's to say they won't stop supporting this and try to sell us 3099 in a few months?

Didn't the 3079 devs basically stop supporting that game and release the same game as 3089 to get more money? So what's to say they won't stop supporting this and try to sell us 3099 in a few months?
Yep, those were my thoughts as well. Plus the dev's "texture artist" stole textures from Duke Nukem 3D and used them in 3079. This dev does not have a good rep at all.

Didn't the 3079 devs basically stop supporting that game and release the same game as 3089 to get more money? So what's to say they won't stop supporting this and try to sell us 3099 in a few months?
This is exactly the thought that I had when I saw what today's game was.

Honestly, I couldn't care less that they stole some textures from another game. I care that I plopped down $5 for 3079, and they cut and ran on that game once they got tired of it, or it wasn't raking in the bucks anymore. The darn thing went from Alpha to complete game in one fell swoop.

To add insult to injury, the new game basically looks like the old one minus the blocky Minecraft look. So even if we want to be charitable and assume that the motivation for moving on to the next game wasn't to get more money, what the hell is the reason to buy this new game? It's basically the same damn game.

Yep, those were my thoughts as well. Plus the dev's "texture artist" stole textures from Duke Nukem 3D and used them in 3079. This dev does not have a good rep at all.
I like to think I'm a reasonably big booster of indie devs. One annoying habit some developers have is they try to stoke some kind of anti-establishment sentiment by evoking a good guys (indie) vs bad guys (major developers) battle. In my experiences, they have a point: much of the gaming press focus less on the little guys than I would like. Then something like this happens and shows it's not that black and white.

I wasn't aware of all the dev drama, but I really enjoyed 3079.  There's a lot of really great stuff in there, especially if you can play it with a friend.

Hello guys, Phr00t here. I made 3079, Gentrieve 2 & 3089. I'd love for the opportunity to address some of the criticism raised here.

Support for 3079 was never stopped. 3079 remains in "maintenance" mode & support is still provided in the forums for bugs & other issues.

3079 & 3089 are not the same game. 3089 is a completely different game with a whole new engine, story & set of gameplay mechanics. I've made a page detailing the differences here:

3089game[.]wordpress[.]com/features/

I will not stop supporting 3089 anytime soon. 3089 is still in alpha & is still being heavily developed. No new games are planned, since 3089 is my current focus & I will continue developing it until it is done.

Plus the dev's "texture artist" stole textures from Duke Nukem 3D and used them in 3079.
I made it very clear to the texture artist that all the work he provided me was to be free of any copyright issues. The textures that non-official sources were claiming to be stolen were very generic brick and steal textures. Nothing about those textures were screaming "rip-off". However, I did end up changing the textures because it takes less time replacing a generic brick texture than it does dealing with people claiming a texture has been ripped off. The bottom line is, I didn't steal textures & I didn't accept textures that I knew were stolen.

Honestly, I couldn't care less that they stole some textures from another game. I care that I plopped down $5 for 3079, and they cut and ran on that game once they got tired of it, or it wasn't raking in the bucks anymore. The darn thing went from Alpha to complete game in one fell swoop.

To add insult to injury, the new game basically looks like the old one minus the blocky Minecraft look. So even if we want to be charitable and assume that the motivation for moving on to the next game wasn't to get more money, what the hell is the reason to buy this new game? It's basically the same damn game.
I did not cut & run from 3079. It did not go from Alpha to complete game in one fell swoop. Here is the version history:

sites[.]google[.]com/site/3079game/version-history

It was actually never really labeled "alpha", but instead "beta"; although those labels were rather interchangeable in this instance since it simply meant the game was in heavy development & otherwise incomplete.

3079 received approximately 41 updates before being considered "stable". After that, 3079 received 13 more updates that included more content, tweaks & improvements.

Again, 3089 is not the same game as 3079. You can read about the differences here:

3089game[.]wordpress[.]com/features/

3089 isn't going to look or play completely differently, since it is a sequel. However, there are many key changes built on a whole new engine that should bring more enjoyment to the series.

I like to think I'm a reasonably big booster of indie devs. One annoying habit some developers have is they try to stoke some kind of anti-establishment sentiment by evoking a good guys (indie) vs bad guys (major developers) battle. In my experiences, they have a point: much of the gaming press focus less on the little guys than I would like. Then something like this happens and shows it's not that black and white.
Much of this drama is manufactured to drum up controversy. Little bits of truth get wrapped up in rumors & hearsay that spreads unchecked on the internet. This is inevitable, and I have come to accept that. I never believed all indie developers are good guys, and all major developers are bad guys... there is "good" and "evil" to be shared on both sides. However, don't forget the same goes for gamers too. Some gamers will hate you, no matter what you do, while fanboys will love whatever you do. In the end, I just try to focus on making fun games that hopefully most people will enjoy. I wish everyone could like me for doing that, but it unfortunately doesn't work that way.

I wasn't aware of all the dev drama, but I really enjoyed 3079. There's a lot of really great stuff in there, especially if you can play it with a friend.
Thank you Dantarp -- I'm glad you enjoyed 3079. You'll probably be able to find "dev drama" on anyone tucked away somewhere... I try to not let it get in the way of developing my games.

Anyway, I want to thank you guys for reading this far. I'm just trying to be honest. I thank my supporters, whom I greatly appreciate, and I'm going to continue working on my games & making new ones in the future -- I hope you stick around. :)

- Phr00t

PS. Sorry for the links, I wasn't allowed to post them properly

Dear Mr. phr00t,

Thanks for posting here. Not many devs interact with the community and some don't seem to know how to keep things professional. I don't think you intentionally stole any textures (I mean, really, why intentionally steal those textures) and do think much ado was made out of a smaller issue there.

My main issue with 3079 is that when I purchased it (from Gamersgate's Indiefort) I read up on it and was informed it was in alpha/beta mode so I put off playing it until the completed product was ready. I never really heard much about the game afterwards until I suddenly saw 3089 popping up and then read that 3079 had been "completed." From the feedback I read, it seemed many players felt the completion of 3079 was a bit sudden and some of the game features were never refined to the level they were led to believe they would.

I get the fact that sequels come out, but in most cases when a game is released/completed there is usually a delay between that and the release of the sequel. In this case, the timing just seemed a bit odd.

Anyway, I'm all for being open minded and taking people for their word so I went ahead and got me a Desura key for 3089 from IGS to compare the two games myself. So I guess you win this time Mr. phr00t. Put zombie ostriches in 3099 and we'll call it even.

Dear Mr. phr00t,

Thanks for posting here. Not many devs interact with the community and some don't seem to know how to keep things professional. I don't think you intentionally stole any textures (I mean, really, why intentionally steal those textures) and do think much ado was made out of a smaller issue there.

My main issue with 3079 is that when I purchased it (from Gamersgate's Indiefort) I read up on it and was informed it was in alpha/beta mode so I put off playing it until the completed product was ready. I never really heard much about the game afterwards until I suddenly saw 3089 popping up and then read that 3079 had been "completed." From the feedback I read, it seemed many players felt the completion of 3079 was a bit sudden and some of the game features were never refined to the level they were led to believe they would.

I get the fact that sequels come out, but in most cases when a game is released/completed there is usually a delay between that and the release of the sequel. In this case, the timing just seemed a bit odd.

Anyway, I'm all for being open minded and taking people for their word so I went ahead and got me a Desura key for 3089 from IGS to compare the two games myself. So I guess you win this time Mr. phr00t. Put zombie ostriches in 3099 and we'll call it even. games myself. So I guess you win this time Mr. phr00t. Put zombie ostriches in 3099 and we'll call it even.
Thanks Cheaplikeafox for the followup.

I don't think gamers are used to the rate at which I develop games. Many developers wait weeks before releasing updates or longer, so the whole process feels stretched out & it appears more work is being done. I believe I am more efficient at getting updates out, so my games get completed faster, without compromising quality.

When completing a game, there will always be groups of people who don't believe it is done. I understand people paid for 3079, and they would love to see it developed indefinitely. I like to think of it as the "Minecraft" effect -- games that never stop receiving development, and us other developers who are not making millions or have big development studios are compared to that same standard.

I put a ton of work into 3079, and I bet if I just developed it more slowly, the timing wouldn't seem so odd. The completed product would have been the same, though. I just don't like taking breaks from game development :)

- Phr00t

EDIT: Thank you for picking up 3089! I'm working hard on it & I hope you enjoy it! :)

New game up:

Private Infiltrator

BTA - Soundtrack

Keys - Desura (Windows, Linux, and Mac compatible)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j4jZp_OowMM

Looks neat I think, but I've already got too much to buy from the Steam Summer sale so I'll wait for a bundle.

So has anyone tried this? How is it different from Terraria (what immediately came to mind watching the trailer)? I suppose I could just try the free version...but I'm lazy so I'd rather just ask ;)

EDIT: ninja'd lol for what it's worth there aren't any keys, so there isn't much of a point paying over $0.25

So has anyone tried this? How is it different from Terraria (what immediately came to mind watching the trailer)? I suppose I could just try the free version...but I'm lazy so I'd rather just ask ;)

EDIT: ninja'd lol for what it's worth there aren't any keys, so there isn't much of a point paying over $0.25
Well, if it gets Greenlight/Desura'd/etc. you would need to pay $1 at least to get a key.

but it isn't on any of those yet, so by the time it gets on greenlight, then eventually gets greenlit, then is released on steam....I honestly doubt I would still care

lol, yeah, I don't know if it is even on greenlight tbh.

I took one for the team and DLed the demo and did the tutorial.

It plays very much like a 2D Minecraft in mechanics. Break down blocks to gather resources with one mouse button, craft things with another mouse button. Fairly easy to sort of learn the basic block buildings. There's a zombie mode I'm going to try to see how the combat is and how it works when you have to build/fight at the same time. Not so bad so far though.

What do you guys mean it doesn't come with a key? It comes with a Desura key doesn't it?
No, it's a game key that's required for the multiplayer.
Nevermind, it does come with a Desura key. When I bought it last night there was only the game key. Just took them a few hours to post up the Desura key I guess.
I had thought it was strange there wasn't a Desura key, since I remember it being on Desura.

From the bottom of IGS details about the game...

Please note that this online multiplayer game has DRM and requires that you create a username on the KAG servers to unlock all of the premium features.
Also, saw this on the game's page on Desura.

Comment from MaxCahill

The game is already scheduled for a steam release, just seems rude to talk about it on desura. We didn't need to greenlight, just talked directly with valve.

It's coming in and indie bundle later this week

Gamesrage.org
Hmm. I found info on this new bundle site and it looks like it may not have Desura keys. Pity, as it has an interesting lineup planned:

- The Few od BlackMoon Design
- King Arthur’s Gold od TransHuman Design
- Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart od Artifex Mundi
- Cinders od MoaCube
- OddPlanet od Piotra Króla i Sewera Hrehorowicza

Hmm. I found info on this new bundle site and it looks like it may not have Desura keys. Pity, as it has an interesting lineup planned:
Pretty interesting looking batch of Polish games. The Few is an arcadey-looking (although it bills itself as an RTS) take on the Battle of Britain. Nightmares from the Deep looks like an adventure game, although it's a bit hard to tell. Cinders is a "visual novel," if you're into that sort of thing (based on Cinderella). OddPlanet looks like some kind of puzzle-platformer.

That bundle looks good as far as games.  I was looking at Odd Planet on Shinyloot.  Seems like a neat platformer.  Might wait for that, but not sure since the no keys aspect means DL only and who knows how long that site will be up. 

That bundle looks good as far as games. I was looking at Odd Planet on Shinyloot. Seems like a neat platformer. Might wait for that, but not sure since the no keys aspect means DL only and who knows how long that site will be up.
Yeah. I'd want to make sure and DL everything right away.

That bundle looks good as far as games. I was looking at Odd Planet on Shinyloot. Seems like a neat platformer. Might wait for that, but not sure since the no keys aspect means DL only and who knows how long that site will be up.
yeah, surprisingly I'm interested in all of these. The no key aspect could be because most are not on any platform, but it seems like a poor move not to include the ones that are (not to mention, what happens if they get greenlit?). Apparently they are all DRM-Free and PWYW:

[Coming Soon] Games Rage Bundle

JULY 22ND, 2013 - HNIC

The first Games Rage Bundle will be launching on July, 22 & will feature 5 DRM-Free Indie games to buy in the traditional Pay-what-you-want model.

The bundle will include:

-The Few

-King Arthur's Gold

-Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart

-Cinders

-Oddplanet

yeah, surprisingly I'm interested in all of these. The no key aspect could be because most are not on any platform, but it seems like a poor move not to include the ones that are (not to mention, what happens if they get greenlit?). Apparently they are all DRM-Free and PWYW:
Well, given that these are Polish games, why couldn't they get on GOG? Seems like a natural fit to me.

*Edit: Re: Desura and KAG on IGS. Apparently, the developer is looking into it per a post on the IGS forums. At present the key will register to Desura but the game will not run but gives an error message.

---

Okay I guess King Arthur's Gold has a Desura key but when you try to download the game from Desura it doesn't work and gives you an error message about not being able to generate another key.

I logged into the KAG website and registered an account there and used the regular IGS key (not the Desura one) to upgrade to a full KAG key but I don't know how to connect that to Desura and login through there and make Desura understand that I own the full game.

Does anyone have a TL;DR version for getting this to work on Desura?

king-arthurs-world-04.png

Inspiration?

It was all I could think of when I saw it. It's King Arthur's World, a strategy game for the SNES that had Dolby Surround and Super NES Mouse support and yes I still have it. :)

... I was actually hoping it had something to do with it but I don't think it does.

bread's done
Back