iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pROvIs']for those who have an iPad and picked up iPhone NBA jam, How is it on your iPad? I'd like the game but not sure if I should hold out for an ipad sale.[/QUOTE]
It plays great at 2x, no problem with controls. Go for the iPhone sale.

Unless the iPad version drops to $1 at some point later on I don't see a need to double dip.

I picked up a no contract 64gb iPad 1 at Verizon 2 weeks ago for $500 and thought I was getting a good deal haha. Well I suppose it's better than paying 500 for a 16gb iPad 2, seeing as I have 25gb of stuff already. Plus it was new with a year warranty, so not too bad.

Is RB any good for its price?

[quote name='PikaPichu']I think you'll see a pretty significant difference, especially when trying to read websites like this one in portrait mode. There's not enough pixel density to clearly display the small text.[/QUOTE]

It's definitely doesn't have the pixel density of a retina display, but I have to say that games on the iPad 2 (well, ones that are optimized for it) look incredible. Carcassonne is pretty amazing, for example. So is Pilot Winds. Pretty much anything for iPad looks really good, but especially if it supports 4x anti-aliasing or whatever it is that the iPad 2 supports. As far as reading websites, what you're saying is true in a way, but sort of ridiculous. It's *much* easier to read websites on the iPad 2 because the display is so much larger. Reading CAG on the iPad 2 is pretty great.

Holy Moly Dragons (iPhone/iPod touch) has dropped to 99 cents:

http://appshopper.com/games/holy-moly-dragons

Seems to have good reviews. I believe it's a defense sort of game, but don't quote me on it.

[quote name='crunchewy']It's definitely doesn't have the pixel density of a retina display, but I have to say that games on the iPad 2 (well, ones that are optimized for it) look incredible. Carcassonne is pretty amazing, for example. So is Pilot Winds. Pretty much anything for iPad looks really good, but especially if it supports 4x anti-aliasing or whatever it is that the iPad 2 supports. As far as reading websites, what you're saying is true in a way, but sort of ridiculous. It's *much* easier to read websites on the iPad 2 because the display is so much larger. Reading CAG on the iPad 2 is pretty great.

Seems to have good reviews. I believe it's a defense sort of game, but don't quote me on it.[/QUOTE]

Looks like its a turn based strategy from the pics (ie FF Tactics, Advanced Wars, etc)

[quote name='pROvIs']Looks like its a turn based strategy from the pics (ie FF Tactics, Advanced Wars, etc)[/QUOTE]

One of the first lines in the description:

"DEFENSE! DEFENSE! DRAGON DEFENSE! Conquer the villains in the Valley of the Dragons. Strategically hatch unique powerful dragons in the paths of enemies who attempt to slay them and plunder their treasure."

I think its pretty safe to say its a tower ("dragon") defense game.

[quote name='EvlD99']One of the first lines in the description:

"DEFENSE! DEFENSE! DRAGON DEFENSE! Conquer the villains in the Valley of the Dragons. Strategically hatch unique powerful dragons in the paths of enemies who attempt to slay them and plunder their treasure."

I think its pretty safe to say its a tower ("dragon") defense game.[/QUOTE]
lol, I'd say thats a safe assumption :) I looked right over that. It's Friday and I'm feeling more and more fried by the minute until 5 PM :)

I tried the lite version of NBA Jam to see if I liked it (I did, so I picked up the full game yesterday). And I'll tell you, I don't even like basketball, and this game is amazing. Easily the most fun game I have played on my iPhone. I urge everyone to at least check out the lite version to give it a chance.

No need to even try NBA Jam, just buy it. It's a wonderful game. I also am not a fan of basketball at all and it think it's awesome. By far the best sports game I've played on the iPod.

[quote name='CONMAN999']No need to even try NBA Jam, just buy it. It's a wonderful game. I also am not a fan of basketball at all and it think it's awesome. By far the best sports game I've played on the iPod.[/QUOTE]
Well, I am a basketball fan and NBA Jam is hilarious arcade fun. It has ridiculous play mechanics but the pace and the commentary makes for non-stop amusement. Definitely not the title you want for "real" basketball strategy (get NBA Elite instead) but it's great for a silly adrenaline rush. In a random matchup playing as Kobe and Pau, I owned the Celtics. Hmmm, maybe it's not so far removed from the real thing as I thought ;) A definite thumbs-up in any event.

Bought:
Fifa 11
Dead Space
NFS Hot Pursuit

They are all big ass files though so might be a while until they finish downloading...

[quote name='Rollobobo']FAAD has The Creeps set as the free app of the day, but its showing up 1.99 in itunes...BOO!!! Any info on this?[/QUOTE]

the creeps is one the best TD games on iOS, a must grab at free for any one even mildly interested in the genre

[quote name='Rollobobo']FAAD has The Creeps set as the free app of the day, but its showing up 1.99 in itunes...BOO!!! Any info on this?[/QUOTE]

Shows free now.

I'll also give a glowing recommendation for The Creeps. It's probably my favorite defense game on the App Store besides PvZ. For free, you shouldn't miss it.

It's working now, I just downloaded it for free.

[quote name='ray2dee']Forget a lite version for NBA Jam we know its good, Dead Space needs one I dont know if I should get it on my iphone[/QUOTE]

You ARE ridiculous. Buy it NOW, intuitive controls, looks great, fun gameplay. It's $.99 you monster!

Just buy it, friend. I promise.

Soccer Stealers Reloaded is also being featured on FAAD right now.
"Whisk through the field to collect the prized golden & ruby coins with our simple one-touch control, but don’t let the other players take the ball… this is your time to shine! Can you dice enough watermelons to sabotage bad cops, aliens from mars, and an entire company of reckless referees?
How many medals can you collect while avoiding those pesky referees?
Will you make full use of magical winged cleats and tornado flags?
You won’t know until you try it, but we guarantee that Soccer Stealers Reloaded is sure to get your fingers tappin and heart thumping."

Chicken Escape
is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Poor poor chicken! She is lost and needs to get back home to her eggs and chicks. Help her by matching road tiles of the same color. Slide and rotate the tiles with the touch of your finger. Chicken adds a fun twist to the color matching games."

Hockey 2011 is available for FREE for a limited time.
"Are you ready to experience the extremely super cool new Hockey game? There are hundreds Hockey games in Appstore, but this is different, Hockey 2011.
With best 3D designer to contribute the supercool 3D nuclear explosion effection which will definitely make Hocky 2011 different with other Hocky games."

TRUpuzzlE has also dropped to FREE for the time being.
"TRUpuzzlE is a highly enjoyable game for your iPhone or iPad. Once you start, you won’t want to stop. You must move the green pieces to the specified location, to solve a puzzle. Game includes a steam-punk graphics style, multiple color schemes and unique handcrafted puzzles. It's fun, enjoy it!"

Grabbed up NBA Jam, Dead Space, and another game from gamedoctors called Zombie Smash, which is also on sale for 99 cents. Already got the other EA deals during their last sales. Hoping PopCap follows suit with deals.

[quote name='crunchewy']It's definitely doesn't have the pixel density of a retina display, but I have to say that games on the iPad 2 (well, ones that are optimized for it) look incredible. Carcassonne is pretty amazing, for example. So is Pilot Winds. Pretty much anything for iPad looks really good, but especially if it supports 4x anti-aliasing or whatever it is that the iPad 2 supports. As far as reading websites, what you're saying is true in a way, but sort of ridiculous. It's *much* easier to read websites on the iPad 2 because the display is so much larger. Reading CAG on the iPad 2 is pretty great.

Seems to have good reviews. I believe it's a defense sort of game, but don't quote me on it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I tried an iPad 2 today and noticed icons & small photos on websites get pixelated. Text seems fine though, even when zoomed. I like how I can scroll without those annoying checkered boxes coming up so often waiting for pages to load. While it's not retina, that double resolution really helps. I think I'm sold.

Dang, The Creeps has jumped back up to $1.99. Hopefully it toggles back down again.

EDIT: Or maybe it's a time zone thing? Seems like this deal doesn't technically start until Saturday (??)

EDIT 2: Nevermind, that was it. It's free for me now. Downloaded.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ZeroFlame15']For the EA Sale, what are some of the good titles to get?[/QUOTE]

For a plethora of recommendations, check the last 3-4 pages of this thread. It's almost exclusively discussing which EA titles to buy.

[quote name='jaredstorm']You ARE ridiculous. Buy it NOW, intuitive controls, looks great, fun gameplay. It's $.99 you monster!

Just buy it, friend. I promise.[/QUOTE]

Alright I'll trust your judgement thanks!

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']So torn on whether or not to drop the $5 on Galaxy on Fire 2.

=/[/QUOTE]

Skip the Big Mac meal, support a developer on an emerging platform.

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']So torn on whether or not to drop the $5 on Galaxy on Fire 2.

=/[/QUOTE]

I rarely buy apps that are higher than $0.99, so I thought a lot about this one. Ended up buying it and been playing it nonstop since then (got it last night).

The most I've spent on a game is Infinity Blade and it's probably one of the most I regret buying at full price :p This one is totally worth it (so far).

[quote name='Smaxor']Skip the Big Mac meal, support a developer on an emerging platform.[/QUOTE]

I don't eat at McDonald's, thank you. I'd have to skip one Chipotle burrito. =P

Anyway, I'll bite. Looks like fun, and has damn near perfect ratings.

I too have been on the fence about galaxy under fire 2. I generally try to abide by the 3.99 or less for apps rule. But I might have to make an exception.

I made an exception. I bought into the $5 Galaxy on Fire 2. I tried the demo, I'm reasonably impressed by the graphics and I know in time I'll get an iPad and it'll work as well there (universal app), so I'm willing to take it on faith. Then again, in a couple weeks they'll probably toss us a $1 Galaxy on Fire 2 sale just to rub salt in the wound.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']I made an exception. I bought into the $5 Galaxy on Fire 2. I tried the demo, I'm reasonably impressed by the graphics and I know in time I'll get an iPad and it'll work as well there (universal app), so I'm willing to take it on faith. Then again, in a couple weeks they'll probably toss us a $1 Galaxy on Fire 2 sale just to rub salt in the wound.[/QUOTE]

They are launching a DLC (Valkyrie) on April 28th (I read somewhere it was going to be around $4.99 or $5.99, can't remember), and supposedly they aren't going to have another sale.

*** Due to popular demand, Galaxy on Fire 2™ is now on Fire Sale! Download OpenFeint's Game Channel app for Free games every day and to vote on the next FIRE SALE! There will be no additional price reduction for the upcoming launch of the Valkyrie™ add-on, so get your copy today! ***

Based on App Shopper, this is the lowest it has been (second place is @ $6.99). Knowing the App Store economy who knows, but it probably won't be in a couple of weeks to drop to $0.99 ;) The first part is free since October, guessing it was the date that the second part launched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back