iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bug_nuts']my itunes is hsowing Jaadu VNC as 24.99?[/quote]
Sorry I forgot, that was a 12 hour promotion that expired last night.

[quote name='cbotwell']Scramboni is a good free word game. If you don't wanna spend money on one its hard to knock it without trying. Requires free registration.

Basically its an online multiplayer word jumble. There are 20 rounds each with one jumbled word. Either one or two of the letters will be red and that signifies the letter is either the first or last of the word. You get more points for answering sooner than your opponents and it shows the first person to get it right along with your position. The leader board shows every few rounds.[/quote]
Thank you for this, I LOVE it!

Multiplayer games are great!

[quote name='dallow']Thank you for this, I LOVE it!

Multiplayer games are great![/quote]

They are on twitter @byteclub so let them know you like it and request a single player mode if you are interested.

[quote name='cbotwell']They are on twitter @byteclub so let them know you like it and request a single player mode if you are interested.[/quote]
I played last night against my lady friend secretly.
She on my new phone and me on my old phone, I joined in as "hernameSucks", pretty funny when she turned around and yelled at me.

I'll let them know what I think.

[quote name='eldad9']In the app store, I would argue that any game where you get great value for money is a good deal.

If Crash Bandicoot had an original price of $20, then dropped to $10, would it be a better deal than it is at $10 now?[/QUOTE]

It's not whether or not it is worth the money, it is whether or not it is a deal. If the price hasn't changed, it isn't a deal. Moreover, price drops on the iTS don't always go noticed, so it's worth posting about them. Sales are even more worthy since they are time-limited. Having said that, considering that there is no "iPhone Gaming" forum here, I suppose you might as well post whatever you want in this thread. Hopefully such a forum will be added. I'm now playing my iPod Touch more than anything else so I'd like to see one. It's just so damn convenient, and the games are fun. Even the crappy games are at least fun to discuss. :)

scrabble is on sale for 7.99 from 9.99 (i would recommend it, especially if you have someone to play against over wi-fi)

trism is on sale for 2.99 from 4.99 (haven't played it, but i've read only good things about it)

reign of swords is on sale for 7.99 as an introductory price i guess it will go back up to 9.99 after a while, but maybe not (haven't played it, but it looks cool and the other versions got really good reviews)

[quote name='Shan82']Aurora Feint = Free (really addicting) game!!! :bouncy:[/quote]
Thanks for the tip, I am downloading it now.

Many of the free apps are now in the paid listing...such as air sharing, white noise, pocket guitar. Download those free ones while you can!

Par 72 Golf is on sale "for a limited time" for $4.99, down from $7.99. Not suppose to be anything great, though I haven't tried it myself.

Edit: Tank Ace 1944 has dropped to $1.99, apparently down from $5.99. Also can't comment on this game - haven't played it.

Edit2: Solebon Solitaire has dropped to 99 cents. I don't have it, but I do have the free version and it's good for a solitaire game. If you like solitaire the full version should be good and it's certainly reasonably priced.

[quote name='decon']Thanks for the tip, I am downloading it now.

Many of the free apps are now in the paid listing...such as air sharing, white noise, pocket guitar. Download those free ones while you can![/QUOTE]

Yeah - that's a trick some developers are using now. Make your app free for a week and see the downloads roll in, then start charging and they get an instant rocket to the top paid apps listing. Hopefully Apple will fix this and make only purchased sales count toward top paid status.

As for Aurora Feint it is free and at least now they aren't raiding your address book. Yep - in earlier versions they had a "feature" where you could have it send the contents of your address book to their server and it would look to see if anyone in it also played Aurora Feint. Even though they were fairly upfront about it, it was just a really, really stupid idea. The game? It doesn't do a lot for me. It's a Bejeweled variant. If you like Bejeweled, you'll probably like it, though I found the main game to be ludicrously easy. it's just a time killer, not a challenge. The other parts of the game are more challenging, but you keep having to go back to the main game.

iTouch - for all of these you need the update 2.0 - that costs $10.
Is there a way to get around that (DL free) or you have to buy it though iTunes?

[quote name='lilboo']
I just recently got a iPod Touch (2nd Gen)..so..I should have the latest FW?[/quote]

Yes boo...you already have it, and the latest FW too...

[quote name='sickle']iTouch - for all of these you need the update 2.0 - that costs $10.
Is there a way to get around that (DL free) or you have to buy it though iTunes?[/QUOTE]

It's called an iPod touch. Not iTouch. Stop calling it that. (Sorry, pet peeve).

Just like most software, you could find a pirated copy online, but that's usually frowned upon here.

Well, you could buy an iPod Touch 2G and get it for "free". ;^)

The 2.x software transforms your iPod Touch into an entirely new, and superior, if dangerously addictive, thing. It's so ridiculously worth the asking price it's not even funny. There are lots of good free games and apps too, so think of that $10 as paying for 100's of applications at once, some of which are actually good. :)

By the way... the current firmware doesn't handle having more than 144 applications well. Yes, I'm addicted, and I'll be anxious for them to break that limit (9 screens of 16 apps each - the 10th screen is invisible, presumably not intentionally....)

From touch arcade:

One of the early App Store favorites Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D has been discounted from its original price of $9.99 down to $5.99.

The price drop for the Kart racer comes after its main rival, Cro-Mag Rally has made its way to the number one position in the App Store (paid apps) after dropping its price to $1.99. Though we preferred Nitro Kart in our head-to-head comparision, both were solid titles.

As a Kart-racer, Nitro Kart dispenses with any sort of realism and focuses on fun. A game play video is provided in our head-to-head comparison review. Nitro Kart features:
# 12 different racetracks
# 6 different vehicles
# 8 different weapons
# Play modes: Quick Race, Cup, Story, Time Trial

Smaller developers (like Pangea) can change price on a whim; large publishers (like Vivendi) are less likely to do anything drastic.

Most of the games deals you've enjoyed over the past years are because of the inefficiency in the distribution chain. Online distribution changes the game completely.

Unlike, say, Best Buy, Apple isn't going to discount a $10 game to $5 because they need to make shelf room for an upcoming release.

Hmm... now what do I do with this first gen ipod touch? it's practically new, still has the protective sticker, with firmware 2.0... these things get outdated so quickly.

So, I really like the way this thread is panning out, but is there a way to keep it updated? :bouncy: Like a thread for IPhone games? (unless I missed one that already exists!!). I am always trying to figure out what's on sale/what's good/what's not etc. So I think if a new thread (or even this one) kept it updated on the front with the latest IPhone game deals/sales/price reductions, that would be AWESOME!! :D

[quote name='eldad9']Hmm... now what do I do with this first gen ipod touch? it's practically new, still has the protective sticker, with firmware 2.0... these things get outdated so quickly.[/QUOTE]

Why are you running 2.0? 2.1 is a free upgrade from 2.0. Hell, 2.0 should never even have been released. It's a disaster. 2.1 is solid.

"For a limited time" all Bootant.com games are on sale for 99 cents:

BeeCells
BiiBall 3D (also a free lite version available)
BlocksClassic (also a free lite version available)
BlocksTouch 3D
ColorRise 3D
CubeRise 3D

I don't actually know what the original prices were. The only ones I've tried, and only in Lite form, are BiiBall 3D which I haven't tried enough to comment on, and Blocks Classic. The latter seems OK, but nothing great.

[quote name='crunchewy']Why are you running 2.0? 2.1 is a free upgrade from 2.0. Hell, 2.0 should never even have been released. It's a disaster. 2.1 is solid.[/QUOTE]

Well, since you asked...

My own iPod touch is running 2.1. However, I've got another one here - 8GB, ordered refurb from apple, boxed, new headphones - it was supposed to be a birthday present (it still has the thing on the screen you're supposed to peel off the first time you use it; I connected it to a computer just a couple of times, to update the firmware to 2.0 (the newest at the time, so the recipient wouldn't have to pay $10) and to charge it.

Circumstances changed; now I need to find somebody to take it off my hands. I just never bothered to upgrade it again, since I'm not using it myself.

To make things worse, new models have been introduced since then; that means instead of making it very easy to get rid of, it's now a pain.

Getting back on track, it seems the iPhone is going to get a new combat flight sim ( http://polarbit.com/asqinfo.html ) and a new boat racer ( http://polarbit.com/wbinfo.html ) some time this year.

Blocksclassic is ok.
I've just been playing the lite version, don't know what more the full version adds, seems pretty whole to me.
I bought Superball 2 though, has a two player mode, and better graphics.

One of the top 10 paid apps is now a solitaire game that is discounted to $1 for multiple (they say 30, it's probably more like 20 different ones) variants.

I hope these haven't been posted before:

Poptiq is free until Oct 8th.

Earthscape is free for a limited time.

iCube, a virtual Rubik's cube, normally $3, is free for a limited time.

Sorry, our games aren't available on the iPhone... yet - but you can still play most of them on the web.

[quote name='eldad9']Chopper is $2 instead of $5 for a limited time.

Billy Frontier is only $1 (what was it before?) for a limited time.[/quote]

Billy Frontier was $3.99 and higher before last week's drop.

I would love to see a regularly updated thread that just kept the itunes apps sales on top. And what about posting the temporarily free apps? I'd probably bookmark such a post. Cheapy is there an affiliate fee you earn for these links? Would be neat if so.

Stone of Destiny is down to .99 cents today for today ONLY.

It's normally 9.99 and is a Myst-style adventure game. Or at least looks like it.
Reviews seem good.

[quote name='dallow']Stone of Destiny is down to .99 cents today for today ONLY.

It's normally 9.99 and is a Myst-style adventure game. Or at least looks like it.
Reviews seem good.[/quote]

Thanks for that!
Saw it full price last night, but wouldn't have thought to look for a sale again today.

This is a little off topic:
There used to be a link on the iTunes home page that would allow you to see all iPhone apps. It seems like they got rid of that link and I've been clicking around for about an hour trying to figure it out again. What's the easiest way to view all apps for the iPhone?

Yeah, they also removed the 'recently added' link.

And my feeds don't work anymore, used to show me the recently added, and recently updated.

Stone of Destiny is very fun, but a little easy. It's one of those hidden object finding games along with some puzzles similar to Myst. You can zoom in so that having a smaller screen like the touch isn't a problem.

Cheapy, or anyone, if I edit the original post with price updates, does it automatically reflect the front page? I ask because I can update this topic's 1st post with pricing deals but I want to make sure Cheapy still has control over the front page post from here, or can still decide what is/isn't shown.

[quote name='ianoid']I would love to see a regularly updated thread that just kept the itunes apps sales on top. And what about posting the temporarily free apps? I'd probably bookmark such a post. Cheapy is there an affiliate fee you earn for these links? Would be neat if so.[/quote]

I suggested that previously as well ;) ! I have already VASTLY benefitted from this thread, so a front page update would be awesome!! Especially a listing of free apps as they become available as well. :D

Stone of Destiny is down to .99 cents today for today ONLY.

Thanks for that! I actually wanted this game before, but couldn't bring myself to spend 10$ on it! :D Good thing I waited!!

I wasn't sure if it would auto update the front page, but it doesn't so Cheapy would need to do that. I tried it with the Billy Frontier update. I think he's taking snapshots of posts and editing them, then posting to the front page.

I will cruise thru the thread and make an update to the 1st post tonight. Since I add apps frequently, I'll also keep the thread updated with what you post about too, and any price fluctuations. :whistle2:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back