iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least as of 8:07 Eastern, Stone of Destiny is *still* 99 cents. Maybe that will change soon, though.

Also a new price drop that may be of interest: Gameloft's Block Breaker Deluxe 2 is now $1.99, down from $4.99. No mention of it as a sale, so I think it's a price drop. I think $1.99 is a better price for this game (I paid $4.99.)

[quote name='ryanflucas']Cheapy, how are you making those into web links?[/quote]

You just right click inside itunes and select copy itunes store url.

Hmm...if these drops get to be a usual occurrence, maybe we can bump this on the front page once a week. Do we know what day these price drops usually happen?

I think its up to the developer to decide when they want to change their price, but I'm not sure if apple has some sort of release schedule on which it updates those prices.

Edit: The reason I say that being Stone of Destiny was bumped up from its one day sale price of $0.99 to $1.99 for today(Oct. 1) only, and it seems that they are able to control the price daily.

[quote name='cbotwell']
Edit: The reason I say that being Stone of Destiny was bumped up from its one day sale price of $0.99 to $1.99 for today(Oct. 1) only, and it seems that they are able to control the price daily.[/quote]

Yea. That bugged me. I couldn't download it from Apple on the 30th for some reason, said App not found. So I tried yesterday and saw the price went up. I was willing to try it for a buck, but not two.

Now the description for Stone of Destiny claims the price is $3, but it's still $2 - they might just increase the price by $1 a day until they get to $10.

[quote name='eldad9']Now the description for Stone of Destiny claims the price is $3, but it's still $2 - they might just increase the price by $1 a day until they get to $10.[/quote]

I had assumed that was what they were doing.

[quote name='cbotwell']Oh man. Reign of Swords looks really awesome, but i have a $5 mental price barrier.[/quote]I hear it's really good.

[quote name='daminion']Yea. That bugged me. I couldn't download it from Apple on the 30th for some reason, said App not found. So I tried yesterday and saw the price went up. I was willing to try it for a buck, but not two.[/quote]I spent the dollar and it's so not worth it. Not like Myst at all.
I would pissed as hell if I had spent 10.

[quote name='dallow']I spent the dollar and it's so not worth it. Not like Myst at all.
I would pissed as hell if I had spent 10.[/quote]

I've found it to be some good mindless entertainment so far :bouncy:, but I haven't gotten too far into it. Do you just keep finding objects forever or does it eventually lead somewhere? Definitely would not spend more than a buck on it though!

[quote name='eldad9']Now the description for Stone of Destiny claims the price is $3, but it's still $2 - they might just increase the price by $1 a day until they get to $10.[/QUOTE]

And when they get there, they'll just throw in the towel and give it away for free, seeing how they've gotten no sales at all for 9 straight days.

More drops/sales:

Space Monkey - free for a limited time. This game is actually pretty fun and has a great graphic style. Definitely worth free! In short you're a monkey in space collecting trash. Your only controls are spinning the monkey around (in place) and a super spin by a quick swipe. You collect garbage with your hands and feet while avoiding collecting batteries. You can slap away batteries (and garbage, though you don't want to) via a super spin, but spin too long and your monkey pukes and can't move for a while. In addition though, catch a yo-yo in a hand and you start playing the yo-yo and get points for every toss, but you can't then catch garbage with that hand while doing so or you'll lose the yo-yo. You can catch one in each hand for more points. You can catch juggling balls (as many as you want) with your feet and it works similarly, but those bounce back and forth between your feet. In addition you've got bowling pins that can only be caught with your hands and socks that can only be caught with your feet. Etc. It's a pretty neat idea. I like it.

Amnesia - free for a limited time. Simon game. Didn't bother to even look at it.

Blue Skies - on sale for $1.99 this weekend only (down from $5.99). Definitely worth it! A bit to slow to start, but then it gets quite fun. Good graphics and gameplay. You control the helicopter via rotating and tilting the iPod, shoot/change weapons by tapping corners - the controls work great.

Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? - on sale for $1.99 (from $7.99) for "a limited time".

Moto Chaser limited time special price: $1 down from $5.

This is one of the three best racing games - it seems crash bandicoot is the best 'kart' game, and the other heavyweight's Asphalt 4.

Thanks for this thread, guys. I was finally able to convince my company to get me an iPhone to replace my 5 year-old crappy Nokia phone. We're using AT&T anyway, so it was no big deal except for actually getting them to do it. I just got the phone yesterday and already bought the Solitaire game and Bejeweled II. I would have gotten Stone of Destiny for 99 cents but $1.99 is just too much ;).

Getting Space Monkey now - wow, 32MB makes it one of the bigger apps I've seen.

[quote name='io']

Getting Space Monkey now - wow, 32MB makes it one of the bigger apps I've seen.[/quote]
Some apps go over 100MB, I think spore is around 80.

I bought Burning Monkey Puzzle Lab today for $4.99. I've been craving puzzle games lately.

Apparently Puzzle Quest is getting ported also. If it includes the expansion pack I'll bite, otherwise I already have it on PSP & Live Arcade. I'm expecting this to be considered a 'premium' title with the publisher trying to charge $15-$20.

[quote name='toucharcade']
It seems several developers have gone mad with discounts, and their insanity is to your benefit. A number of prominent games have dropped to only $0.99 today (game titles link to App Store):

Virus ($3.99 -> $0.99) - this new game from Manta Research adds a ton of production value to a simple game. The gameplay is similar to existing games like Filler (flash), in which you try to fill the screen with expanding circles (white blood cells) while avoiding a variable number of bouncing balls (viruses). While the game is simple, the impressive level of polish and inclusion of a global scoreboard make it easily worth the $0.99.

Imangi ($3.99 -> $0.99) - an original and addictive word puzzler that we looked at in July. If you love word games, this is a great value at $0.99.

Flick Bowling ($4.99 -> $0.99) - the latest Bowling game from Freeverse.

Burning Monkey Puzzle Lab ($4.99 -> $0.99) - a Tetris-like game that offers different modes of play (match colors, assemble rows) and a high production value.

Golden Skull ($1.99 -> $0.99) - a match-color puzzle game from Astraware
[/quote]

[quote name='crunchewy']Word Up! is free for a limited time. Has gotten good reviews. I downloaded it, but haven't tried it yet.[/QUOTE]

Awesome - this is quickly becoming one of my favorite CAG threads. It would be hard to spot some of these deals otherwise.

[quote name='io']Awesome - this is quickly becoming one of my favorite CAG threads. It would be hard to spot some of these deals otherwise.[/quote]

Me too! :bouncy: I would still have all my starting applications only if I hadn't come across this thread!! Thanks to those who keep posting!! :D

Well, now I can contribute. It looks like Stone of Destiny is back down to 99 cents. The OP has $2.99, and then I think it was 99 cents, but was back to $1.99 when I looked just a few days ago. Right now it says "SALE!! Get this game today for only $0.99!". So I assume "today" means Tues, Oct. 7th since it is 3am Pacific now.

I keep buying all these 99 cent games but have yet to play them! I guess I should get to it one of these days ;).

Oh - and they've extended the Jewel Quest II $1.99 sale beyond Oct 3rd, obviously - now it just says due to "overwhelming response" it is being extended with no end date given. I admit they got me on that one as I jumped on it the first day I had my iPhone as it was the day the "sale" was due to end. Well, lesson learned, and for only $1.99 ;). Now I'm pretty much holding out for 99 cents or free on everything.

And for those new to the iPhone/iPod Touch, get Pangea VR - it's a free panoramic image viewing package (you can browse right in the app through tons of online panoramic images). I just found that today and think it is pretty cool - try the Southwest images...

Wow, if they do this with the DSi (cheap cheap cheap games), we are all fucked :lol:

It's so hard to pass up $1, $2 games. :(

[quote name='DarthPuma']I don't even have a touch yet, but I'm getting all the temporarily free apps I can. Thanks guys![/QUOTE]

Ha, I'm doing the same thing. But I'm also jumping on the .99 cent games.

I've been thinking about getting the 32GB Touch, but since it's already been out for 8 months or so I'll probably wait for the inevitable 64GB Touch.

[quote name='heavy liquid']Ha, I'm doing the same thing. But I'm also jumping on the .99 cent games.

I've been thinking about getting the 32GB Touch, but since it's already been out for 8 months or so I'll probably wait for the inevitable 64GB Touch.[/QUOTE]

2nd gen iPod touches came out last month. It might be a long wait.

[quote name='ndrake']2nd gen iPod touches came out last month. It might be a long wait.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, that's right. Well, I still don't think the wait will be that long. I'm willing to bet that by Feb or March Apple will release a bigger Touch. :)

thanks guys, d/l'd the free apps, plan on getting an iPT soon so figured I could grab the limited time ones.. so how does the DRM work? I've only purchased one game before on my 3rd gen nano and got a new comp and it removed my game saying it was not authorized?

so if I get an iPT, will I have issues w/ hooking up the iPT to different comps? b/t my macbook and my gf's PC notebook?

In theory three Hudson games are going to be free for a limited time to celebrate the Tokyo Game Show. HOWEVER, please note that as of this writing they are still showing up as full price. The AppStore is slow to update, so they should become free at some point:

Aqua Forest
Catch the Egg
NeoSameGame

If and when these actually go free I'll update.

[quote name='heavy liquid']Oh yeah, that's right. Well, I still don't think the wait will be that long. I'm willing to bet that by Feb or March Apple will release a bigger Touch. :)[/quote]
You'll probably see them come out in January like they did this year with the 32GB. I bought my 32GB iPod touch the day they announced the 2nd Gens and have used it every day since I got it. It's been about a month that I've had it and I'm still blown away by it; there's so much untapped potential in this thing (not just for gaming, but for applications too). I think we'll be seeing some amazing apps come to this platform in the next 12 months.

[quote name='crunchewy']In theory three Hudson games are going to be free for a limited time to celebrate the Tokyo Game Show. HOWEVER, please note that as of this writing they are still showing up as full price. The AppStore is slow to update, so they should become free at some point:

Aqua Forest
Catch the Egg
NeoSameGame

If and when these actually go free I'll update.[/QUOTE]

These actually were free for about four hours - the question is: did they make them free too early by mistake and fixed it, or did they change their minds? Congrats if you managed to get them; I missed them.

[quote name='crunchewy']In theory three Hudson games are going to be free for a limited time to celebrate the Tokyo Game Show. HOWEVER, please note that as of this writing they are still showing up as full price. The AppStore is slow to update, so they should become free at some point:

Aqua Forest
Catch the Egg
NeoSameGame

They were listed as being free but were not downloadable. I think it was supposed to be only for the Asian iTunes App store for the Tokyo Game Show as the apps kept changing price from free to regular price as they were trying to figure out how to list it properly.

Aqua Forest
Catch the Egg
NeoSameGame

Looks like I was wrong with my earlier post as they just re-released these 3 titles as free apps and I was to download all 3.

From now on I'm only going to list sales/price drops on games I've played and can comment on since there are so many sites tracking price drops now making basic "the price has dropped" listings here less necessary. I like http://appshopper.com which lets you filter by category and/or kind of change (new/price change/update).

So...

Word Up! is free for a limited time. Nice word game, worth downloading for free! Apparently based on "Wordsmith" on the TiVo Series 3. Perhaps that means this game will get the axe eventually since I doubt it's licensed. Get it while you can!

Imangi is on sale for 99 cents. BUY THIS GAME! I's one of the best word games I've ever played on anything. It's kind of a mix of scrabble and a slide puzzle. If you are having trouble with moving pieces (with the strategy of it), be sure to watch the new video tutorial they've put on their web site. This is a great game by itself, but put over the top by online high scores, daily challenges and friend challenges. You can even play the puzzles that others have played to get their high scores, and so attempt to beat what they got. An incredibly slick package.

Imangi Word Squares is new and has an introductory price of 99 cents. Not the sublime greatness of Imangi, but still a worthy purchase.

21 Pro Blackjack is on sale for 99 cents. Note that there is a free, advertising paid version, that is exactly the same except with ads, but that version sometimes can not be played if you don't have an internet connection (it says it is advertising sponsored and requires an internet connection and then only lets you quit). It's a very good blackjack game, though, and I'd been thinking about buying the paid version for this reason. For 99 cents, they easily made a sale.

Blue Skies has dropped back to and is now permanently (well, as permanent as these things go) $2.99 and definitely worth picking up at that price. Fun action/shooting helicopter game that's controlled with the accelerometer (and it works really well.)

Space Monkey is still free for a limited time. No change in that, but I mention it again because you should pick this game up! It's way better then you might think. Clever action puzzle game with a fun style and sense of humor.

Everyone needs to buy Everest: Hidden Expedition for $.99. It's one of those "Find the hidden things in this picture" type games, but it's very very fun! I'm playing it through for the 3rd time now.

[quote name='dallow']Yay for those free Hudson games!
Get Aqua Forest and NeoSameGame while you can!

And maybe the third one too. :)[/QUOTE]

Catch the Egg is pretty dumb, but for free it's worth downloading. It's a motion control mini-game. One mini-game. I feel sorry for anyone who paid for it, but for free you might as well give it a try. It's mildly amusing.

I was looking up Imangi (I already had it and had forgotten!!) and came across Imangi Word Squares on sale for .99 for a limited time. Not sure about it though. Has anyone tried this one? :)

[quote name='dallow']Yay for those free Hudson games!
Get Aqua Forest and NeoSameGame while you can!

And maybe the third one too. :)[/quote]
Just pulled down Aqua Forest and that app/game is amazing. I might check out NeoSameGame as well.

Edit: NeoSameGame looks allot like Aurora Faint but without the character building aspect. Gonna hold off on that since AF still takes much of my time. Can't wait for Puzzle Quest to hit though!!!!

[quote name='Shan82']I was looking up Imangi (I already had it and had forgotten!!) and came across Imangi Word Squares on sale for .99 for a limited time. Not sure about it though. Has anyone tried this one? :)[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's good. It's not sublime like Imangi, but it's worth 99 cents. Your goal is to make a complete word square in which every row and column is a word. Move the letters by drag and drop to form the words. There's 4 difficulty levels and you can also set how many free letters it starts you off with (how many letters it will initially place correctly for you.) You can also press a Hint button to have it place one letter in the proper position each time you press it.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Just pulled down Aqua Forest and that app/game is amazing. I might check out NeoSameGame as well.

Edit: NeoSameGame looks allot like Aurora Faint but without the character building aspect. Gonna hold off on that since AF still takes much of my time. Can't wait for Puzzle Quest to hit though!!!![/quote]

You might want to grab Neosamegame while you can as you can't really beat the price of "free"! ;)

Thanks Crunch ... I may have to pick that up as it actually sounds like something I would enjoy!! :D

[quote name='Xgenerates']Diner Dash has dropped in price from $9.99 to $4.99 as a "special sale for today only!"[/QUOTE]

Anyone played it? Good implementation of the game? Might pick it up for this price, but wish there were a demo/lite version so I could try it out.

Black Mamba Racer has dropped to $1.99 (from $3.99) and I definitely recommend it at this price. Actually I would have recommended it at $3.99. This is a top down racer with virtual button controls that work great - sometimes the simple approach is the best. Sliding the car around the tracks is really fun. You aren't going to find flashy, high-tech graphics, but the graphics are appealing none-the-less and the key is that this game is fun. Why the developer only has one screenshot on the appstore I don't know. I like it *way* more then Cro-Mag and that motorcylce game, the name of which is escaping me. I wasted money on those games. This game is worth it.

It's by the developer of Space Invasion, a Space Invaders variant that I also recommend, and also has dropped to $1.99. Both games are worth picking up!

[quote name='Xgenerates']Diner Dash has dropped in price from $9.99 to $4.99 as a "special sale for today only!"[/quote]

great find thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back