iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks IO, Picked up Nanosaur and Bugdom at 99 cents. Already had Enigmo.

Is there an easy way to browse the app store and bring things up by price?

I'll contribute.
Darts (Brian Hammond) very fun, good graphics, and free. get it
Tap Defense (tower defense) only played a little and it's prety good. And free.
Mazefinger...Stupidly fun with achievements. Free
Inside Trader. Sell high, Buy low sim. Free today.
Ibowl. Free. Hold on tight.
Right of Way. A Mille Bornes copy. I have been playing this non-stop.

[quote name='wolfhunt']Thanks IO, Picked up Nanosaur and Bugdom at 99 cents. Already had Enigmo.

Is there an easy way to browse the app store and bring things up by price?[/QUOTE]

You can browse the store in iTunes. Open the App Store. Click the Browse link in the "Quick Links" section. Then you can pick a category and sub-category then sort by price.

Just found this thread yesterday and actually just finished reading through all the posts!!!! INSANE!!!! Anyway, cool thread and very useful as my fiancee bought me a ipod touch for x-mas (which hopefully will come in this week :roll:) and it looks like I can pick up some great games.

So a little off topic but I want to get this straight, if I download games to my home pc and then sync it up to my ipod and then say I download some other apps to another pc (like my work pc, which of course I would never really do anything like that at work, ;););)) could I then sync those games to my IPod???? Is it just dependant on the ID on sign in with??? Thanks for the great website and any help would be appreciated!!!!!

UPdate - Nevermind on that last part I found out about the authorization/de-authorization of computer!!!!!! I'm assuming that goes for everything that is purchased off the Store and not just music!!!!!

[quote name='The Perfect Drug']I think I've bought most of the Pangea games for 99 cents and they're definitely worth it at that price.[/quote]

I totally agree !! :D

For anyone looking for a great RTS for the iPhone/Touch, Warfare Incorporated was just released yesterday with an introductory price of $4.99. I'm not sure what it will go up to after this price but for the 1 1/2 hours I've sunk into it it's WELL worth the $5.

Just some info on the game:

• Fully touch optimized for iPhone, iPod Touch, Palm, and PocketPC!
  • 22 unit and structure types
  • 20 story missions and 200+ add-on missions (and growing)
  • Full mission editor - create and publish your own missions
  • 2-4 player Multiplayer (coming soon for iPhone / iPod Touch - now in BETA!)
Here's the official page: http://www.warfareincorporated.com/

Are you able to buy games now through iTunes and install them on an iPhone later? I *KNOW* Santa is bringing me an iPhone for Christmas, so it would be cool to buy some games while they are on sale now...

Thanks!

Brer Dan

[quote name='BrerDan']Are you able to buy games now through iTunes and install them on an iPhone later?
Brer Dan[/quote]
Yeah you just need a credit card to register for iTunes (I'm pretty sure you don't need to register your iphone when you sign up for iTunes).

[quote name='BrerDan']Are you able to buy games now through iTunes and install them on an iPhone later? I *KNOW* Santa is bringing me an iPhone for Christmas, so it would be cool to buy some games while they are on sale now...

Thanks!

Brer Dan[/quote]
I think you can. Just go into iTunes and into the iTunes store. Search (upper right) for the title you're looking for and buy it there. That or you can click on applications from within the store and browse that way.

BTW, the iPhone / iPod touch is one of the most impressive pieces of tech I think I've ever owned. I've had my Touch for over 3 months and am STILL amazed by it on a daily basis.

Thanks, guys! I do have iTunes so I'll check it out. Honestly, I virtually never use my regular iPod, but that's mostly because I hate carrying things around. I avoided carrying a cell until just a couple years ago. Since I *do* carry one now, I figure I'll use the iPhone a heck of a lot more since I'd have access to it without having to carry anything more than I do now. I still haven't decided on 8 vs 16 GB though. I'm NOT a big audiophile and don't watch videos on the go, so I'm not sure how much space I'll need. ANYHOW--thanks for the info, and thanks to the posters for the sales!

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']I think you can. Just go into iTunes and into the iTunes store. Search (upper right) for the title you're looking for and buy it there. That or you can click on applications from within the store and browse that way.

BTW, the iPhone / iPod touch is one of the most impressive pieces of tech I think I've ever owned. I've had my Touch for over 3 months and am STILL amazed by it on a daily basis.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BrerDan']Thanks, guys! I do have iTunes so I'll check it out. Honestly, I virtually never use my regular iPod, but that's mostly because I hate carrying things around. I avoided carrying a cell until just a couple years ago. Since I *do* carry one now, I figure I'll use the iPhone a heck of a lot more since I'd have access to it without having to carry anything more than I do now. I still haven't decided on 8 vs 16 GB though. I'm NOT a big audiophile and don't watch videos on the go, so I'm not sure how much space I'll need. ANYHOW--thanks for the info, and thanks to the posters for the sales![/QUOTE]

If you do not add videos or songs, the 8 gig will be more then enough since the largest apps are about 200 megs (they average about 5-10 megs) and then you are limitied by the number of available pages for apps so you should not go over that limit. At the time I got my 16 gig, gas prices were so high I looked at the price difference like it was me filling up my tank one time since that was about $75. If you do add movies, then you will want the 16 gig as they seem to average about 1 gig each.

Thanks---that helps put some perspective on things. I'm thinking I *would* add some favorite songs and podcasts--but not a huge amount, and I just don't see using video. I need to hop on my iTunes and make some playlists to see how much space they would take.

I think for me it's a matter of ceilings. Since my plain old vanilla phone technically works fine, I feel bad spending $200 for the iPhone--but I do want it...adding another $100 though seems my breaking point.

[quote name='Owen']If you do not add videos or songs, the 8 gig will be more then enough since the largest apps are about 200 megs (they average about 5-10 megs) and then you are limitied by the number of available pages for apps so you should not go over that limit. At the time I got my 16 gig, gas prices were so high I looked at the price difference like it was me filling up my tank one time since that was about $75. If you do add movies, then you will want the 16 gig as they seem to average about 1 gig each.[/QUOTE]

I download all the free games and apps I think I might want to try out at some point (I do not bother deleting them) and looking at my app folder on my PC I have about 1000 apps in there and the total size of the folder is 3.5 gigs. The iPhone can only hold about 130 new apps since you only get 9 pages to fill and the original Apple apps cannot be deleted so you will have plenty of space with an 8 gig if you do not plan to add a lot of movies or videos.

Awesome! Thanks for helping me be a true Cheap Ass :)

[quote name='Owen']I download all the free games and apps I think I might want to try out at some point (I do not bother deleting them) and looking at my app folder on my PC I have about 1000 apps in there and the total size of the folder is 3.5 gigs. The iPhone can only hold about 130 new apps since you only get 9 pages to fill and the original Apple apps cannot be deleted so you will have plenty of space with an 8 gig if you do not plan to add a lot of movies or videos.[/QUOTE]

ngmoco, inc. has slashed prices on all of their games in celebration of the December 18th release of Rolando. Dropship and Dr. Awesome have dropped from $1.99 to 99c, and Topple has gone from 99c-free.

Touch Arcade link.

I grabbed Topple and Dropship myself.

[quote name='DarthPuma']ngmoco, inc. has slashed prices on all of their games in celebration of the December 18th release of Rolando. Dropship and Dr. Awesome have dropped from $1.99 to 99c, and Topple has gone from 99c-free.

Touch Arcade link.

I grabbed Topple and Dropship myself.[/quote]

Nice, I got topple and dr. awesome, thx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Awesome is in fact, awesome! :D Well-worth $.99!

Side-note: The Watchmen Digital Comic Series is excellent! I highly recommend the Season Pass for $20. 7 of 12 episodes are already available.

I wanted to bite on the Watchmen, but reviews mentioned the girl was voiced by a man (in the first ep). Is that still the case? Don't you find that pretty distracting?

[quote name='Phokis']I wanted to bite on the Watchmen, but reviews mentioned the girl was voiced by a man (in the first ep). Is that still the case? Don't you find that pretty distracting?[/quote]Not at all. If you've ever listened to an audiobook then it's the same thing. Most audiobooks are read and recorded by one reader/actor. Whoever the actor is, they are doing a great job at changing inflections and expression when they switch between characters. I read that complaint and quite frankly it sounds like some child made it.

[quote name='Phokis']I wanted to bite on the Watchmen, but reviews mentioned the girl was voiced by a man (in the first ep). Is that still the case? Don't you find that pretty distracting?[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Shaky Summit is 99 cents now and this game is a lot more fun then I expected. I'm pretty addicted to it. It's pretty clear from the reviews that it's not for everyone, but if you figure it out I think you'll find it really fun. The thing about this game is that you do have a lot of control even though it may not seem so at first. It's just not the kind of control you are use to in a game - you don't directly control your player except for a "boost" ability, rather you control the environment, both yours and your opponents at the same time, by shaking it. Doing so long enough will cause boulders to move, rope ladders to unroll, stalactites to fall, etc. So you try to hurt your opponent while simultaneously helping yourself/not hurting yourself, and your opponent is trying to do the same to you. First one to the top of the mountain wins the race. There are a variety of mountains to climb which are unlocked as you go and there are different characters to choose from with different stats. You can play against the computer or another human, though I haven't tried it 2-player yet. It's a fun and funny game. Definitely recommended at this price! It's by the makers of the Toy Bot games, though it is utterly different from those.

[quote name='magiic']Scrabble, Spore, Price is Right & Yahtzee were on sale for Thanksgiving. Probably still are.[/quote]

Price is Right is $3 right now, Scrabble is $8. Don't know about the other 2.

Price is Right sucks and is annoyingly slow-paced and frustrating. Worst $3 I ever spent in my entire life, and I bought 3 cans of Crystal Pepsi one time.

[quote name='crazy blain']Price is Right sucks and is annoyingly slow-paced and frustrating. Worst $3 I ever spent in my entire life, and I bought 3 cans of Crystal Pepsi one time.[/quote]
I found the PiR to be a nostalgic trip down memory lane. The game isn't for everyone but if you've ever enjoyed the show, you'll enjoy the game. The only crime I see is there is no-MP over wi-fi.

Side-note: If you want to see/hear an example of what the Watchmen Motion Comics look like, download the free Watchmen app and there are several vids to find on the top right of all the monitors. These are just very short snippets from the actual downloads. Each full download is around 22-27 minutes long.

[quote name='crazy blain']Price is Right sucks and is annoyingly slow-paced and frustrating. Worst $3 I ever spent in my entire life, and I bought 3 cans of Crystal Pepsi one time.[/QUOTE]

i fail to see what the crystal pepsi purchase has to do with anything here, considering that was, undoubtedly, the best $3 you've ever spent. now, if you'd said pepsi blue... that i would understand.

[quote name='crazy blain']Price is Right sucks and is annoyingly slow-paced and frustrating. Worst $3 I ever spent in my entire life, and I bought 3 cans of Crystal Pepsi one time.[/QUOTE]

pepsiman?

[quote name='DocRamon']i fail to see what the crystal pepsi purchase has to do with anything here, considering that was, undoubtedly, the best $3 you've ever spent. now, if you'd said pepsi blue... that i would understand.[/quote]

Haha, I remember when it first came out. I had to be maybe 17 years old and I said to myself "This is going to be MY drink. I'll drink anything...as long as it's Crystal Pepsi."

Sadly, it sucked and was extremely short-lived. But not as short-lived as Tab Clear.

[quote name='lilboo']I can't imagine paying like $10 for an iPhone/Pod game :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Even if it's really good?

I think the cheap prices is making the app store polluted with crap imo

[quote name='Wario64']Even if it's really good?

I think the cheap prices is making the app store polluted with crap imo[/QUOTE]

It's chicken and egg. Was the app store polluted with crap and that is why prices dropped to 99 cents, or did prices drop to 99 cents and that is why the app store is polluted with crap?

Fortunately there is good stuff among the crap. I have really enjoyed Shaky Summit and want to reiterate my recommendation of it, especially for only 99 cents. A very high quality game and a lot of fun once you figure it out, though if you don't figure out how to play it it probably would just seem stupid which explains why it has gotten mixed reviews, so... do the tutorials and try to make sense of them. I finished the game with one character on all three difficulty levels and am now trying to get gold medals on all the levels with that character at the highest difficulty level. It's a really great game.

There are good games to be had for a dollar. All of ngmoco's games are solid, and outside of Rolando are only a buck. (though I haven't played Rolando).

Scrabble and Tetris are down to $4.99 right now (50% off) and Yahtzee Adventures is down to $2.99 (40% off).........I'm sure more of the EA stuff is on sale as well.....like Spore is $6.99 (30% off), SUDOKU is $1.99 (60% off), etc., etc......

Picked Up:

led football 2 $0.99 (no sale) -- if you liked led football1, buy this update -- allows passing and better kicking. Plus, you are entered to win a free gold plated iPod touch if you purchase this app.

Real Soccer 09 is $5.99 (down from $9.99) -- like FIFA World Cup 98 for N64!

Chopper is $0.99 (a must buy, 80% off) -- a tilt copter game where you rescue civilians and blow up enemies.

Dr. Awesome ($0.99, down from $1.99, limited) -- Trauma Center with tilt controls - easier than TC but just as addictive, with great animations.

Warfare Incorporated is $4.99 (50% off, limited offer) -- like Age of Empires or Starcraft? A great RTS with over 200 expansions available for download.

This month I bought Aurora Feint II: The Beginning (still not sold on paying $8 for Arena), Dropship, Sim City, I love Katamari, and Warfare Incorporated. Its scary to think how much I spent on the iTunes store.

$0.99 Aurora Feint II
$0.99 Dropship
$9.99 Sim City
$7.99 I love Katamari
$4.99 Warefare Incorporated

This thread is GREAT! Just got an 16GB 2G Itouch for XMAS....downloaded a bunch of free apps and two paid ones (Chopper and Flick Fishing).

Also, once I delete an app from my Itouch, should I just remove it from my Itunes so it does not resync??? I never used Itunes before, so I'm not sure how it works completely. Never been a fan of it...but it's getting better.

[quote name='LancerEvoX']
$7.99 I love Katamari[/QUOTE]

:shock:

There's a Katamari game for the iPhone!?!? Wow, I haven't spent more than $1.99 for anything yet, but that might be an exception if it is halfway decent. (Edit - and reviews seem to indicate that it is not, in fact, half way decent but that a patch maybe fixed most of the problems?).

I had never played a tower defense game prior to Fieldrunners, but I immensely enjoyed the game. It has been the best $5 I spent on Iphone gaming thus far. There is lots of debate among people who have played TD games which is best on the Iphone. For me, as a beginner in the genre, Fieldrunners is the most polished (I have since bought a few others). The app has been $4.99 for quite some time, but I hadn't noticed that they will raise the price. It would be worth getting before the price raise though. Other ones (notably, 7 cities) also will raise their price eventually.

[quote name='doubledown']This thread is GREAT! Just got an 16GB 2G Itouch for XMAS....downloaded a bunch of free apps and two paid ones (Chopper and Flick Fishing).

Also, once I delete an app from my Itouch, should I just remove it from my Itunes so it does not resync??? I never used Itunes before, so I'm not sure how it works completely. Never been a fan of it...but it's getting better.[/QUOTE]

If you delete it from your phone, it will not re-sync it.

I just bought Fieldrunners two days ago and love it. It was the first app I've bought for more than 3 dollars. I've already played it in the car for over 2 hours and looks and plays great. Well worth it to have a solid game to play on my iphone.

I've been debating getting the Katamari game since I've heard only positive things about it since it was patched from its orignal version. But 8 dollars is pushing it for games on a phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back