iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CocheseUGA']If you delete it from your phone, it will not re-sync it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks...that is good to know. At least it is easy to delete from the phone/touch. Side question, how do I delete a video from my Touch? Do I have to do it via Itunes?

[quote name='doubledown']Thanks...that is good to know. At least it is easy to delete from the phone/touch. Side question, how do I delete a video from my Touch? Do I have to do it via Itunes?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Apps and camera pictures are the only things I am aware of that you can remove without a sync.

[quote name='alpo845']Katamari is definitely a good game. It is worth the $8. Think of it, that's like a value meal at Wendy's.[/QUOTE]

Wendys > Katamari

I bought Katamari and I'm sort of regretting it. I've always wanted to try the series with tilt controls and while they work pretty well, the fact that you're tilting the whole screen makes it really awkward and kind of uncomfortable to play. This probably would have been better on the Wii or something.

Just got a touch so I grabbed some of these cheap games.

The ngmoco games are the best of what I checked out.

Rolando feels about as good as a $20 PSP title, so while $10 may seem steep, the quality makes up for it.

Also really liked Dropship and Dr. Awesome. For a buck each you really can't go wrong. Fun gameplay, achievements, and they both use your contact list to propagate NPC names in the games. Going into surgery and having to cure your buddy of some weird virus gives the game a cool personal touch as well as something to show off to your friends.

I also picked up Chopper and while not as robust as the other games, has some fun gameplay for a buck.

How is CroMag Rally? Thinking of jumping on it at $2..doesn't seem bad. Anyone else have it?

Also, will download Dr. Awesome later tonight..looks like a steal for $1 :D

[quote name='doubledown']Thanks...that is good to know. At least it is easy to delete from the phone/touch. Side question, how do I delete a video from my Touch? Do I have to do it via Itunes?[/QUOTE]

When looking at your list of videos, put your finger on the one you want to delete and slide your finger to the left. A red delete button should then appear.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']If you delete it from your phone, it will not re-sync it.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's the theory. I can tell you that, in practice, sometimes apps do resync back even after they've been deleted on the iPod touch. I can not come up with any explanation for why, but sometimes that does happen and if it does happen it will continue to do so for that particular app until you either remove it from iTunes or uncheck it in iTunes for that iPod touch. Most of the time it works like it should, but sometimes it doesn't.

Bought Fieldrunners today (only upgraded yesterday because of Katamari), it really doesn't get any better for a 2D tower defense. I doubt I'll be able to pay 8€ for Katamari now :/
Downloading Dr. Awesome now because of the opinions in this thread.

Btw, if you delete an Application from iTunes can you re-download it? What about when you get another PC?
For the couple musics I had bought on iTunes I couldn't find a way to re-dl them on a new PC on the same account.

I have only seen a few people talk about Warfare, Inc. Believe it or not a decent RTS game with several levels and more available for download. I checked their site and it looks like they are working on multiplayer as well. I didn't think a full featured RTS would be an option on the iphone but it works. Well worth $4.99.

[quote name='ryanflucas']

Updated as of Monday Oct.27, 12:00AM CST[/quote]

Caw, I'd love to see an updated list of this thread. Too bad Apple has no affiliate program- or do they? If so, I'll buy more through Apps through CAG!

I'd even like lists of non-game apps that people think are good and are on sale. I'm dying for a solid file transfer app so I can look at my game inventory lists on excel at stores (GS!) during sales.

Here is a list of games I have bought that I love.

Bejeweled 2 (on sale for $2.99 right now)
Dr. Awesome (on sale for $.99)
Fieldrunners (on sale for $4.99) Enough has been said of this already
Flick Fishing (on sale for $1.99) Well worth the price
Hydro Tilt (on sale for $2.99) A game with GOOD tilt controls
Mines in Space (on sale for $1.99) Great minesweeper clone, with some cool variant modes
Snail Mail (on sale for $1.99) This reminds me of the half-pipe bonus stages from genesis sonic games
Tiki Towers (on sale for $.99) A STEAL at this price
Warfare Inc. (on sale for $4.99) Full fledge RTS, amazing game for the iPhone
Vay ($4.99) I can never miss plugging a great old Sega CD rpg
AlienMangle (May still be $.99, but is rising to $1.99) FPS with good controls, and updates to come
The Creeps! (on sale for $1.99) Great little TD game, updates planned
Samurai Puzzle Battle (on sale for $1.99) Like puzzlequest, but cheap
7 Cities TD (on sale for $4.99) Another awesome TD game
1112 ($7.99) Fun Graphic Adventure, need I say more?

Who should we PM to update the OP?

Also, check out Strategery for $0.99 if you like Risk or Stratego (limited introduction price).

On that note, anyone know of any online versions of Stratego? I know of a version in Clubhouse Games for the DS. Are there any others?

I would be willing to start up a new thread and keep it update on what games are preferred and what games are on sale. I will try to get it going later tonight if there is interest in it.

[quote name='mvp828']I would be willing to start up a new thread and keep it update on what games are preferred and what games are on sale. I will try to get it going later tonight if there is interest in it.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good, I'd also like to help maintain the thread. I have really gotten into iPod gaming as the applications are really top value for the price.

We could maintain the sections by game type, application type, new price drops / sales, etc.

[quote name='soccerstud652']Sounds good, I'd also like to help maintain the thread. I have really gotten into iPod gaming as the applications are really top value for the price.

We could maintain the sections by game type, application type, new price drops / sales, etc.[/quote]

Alright sounds good, I will try to get one going either later tonight or tomorrow. I will look for you online that way we can get the first two or three posts to keep updated.

EDIT: I see you are online right now... Look for a post here in a minute.

This thread works just fine.

No real need to keep the OP updated, there's a whole website that keeps track of price changes in the app store.

Some well-reviewed games dropped recently:
Hero of Sparta dropped today from 9.99 to 5.99
Bro. in Arms dropped recently from 9.99 to 5.99 (I picked this one up. It's fun and nice looking but the controls take a little getting used to.)
Uno dropped from 7.99 to 4.99 (I picked this up too. Very fun if you enjoy Uno. Has wi-fi mp but won't add AI players to the game to fill the room.)

Anyone else playing iMob? It's a fun little RPG-type game. It's free but they charge for "Respect Points" which seem somewhat useless to me. If anyone else is playing feel free to add me via my friend code: 100020013.

Glad you resurrected this thread, I'd been missing it from the 1st page. Just to add some recommendations, iShoot is awesome, came out recently (basically one of those tank games where you take turns shooting with different weapons and hi-res graphics) and the other must-have is RaptorCopter (go now ... download it ... just do it ... and cross your fingers that we'll get Off-Road Velociraptor Safari in the next few months).

[quote name='etcrane']Glad you resurrected this thread, I'd been missing it from the 1st page. Just to add some recommendations, iShoot is awesome, came out recently (basically one of those tank games where you take turns shooting with different weapons and hi-res graphics) and the other must-have is RaptorCopter (go now ... download it ... just do it ... and cross your fingers that we'll get Off-Road Velociraptor Safari in the next few months).[/quote]
There is an iShoot Lite for those who like to demo first. It seems fun; reminds me of Worms.
I can't wait for Metal Gear for the iPhone!

Check out:

Rick (Free or Pro) - An Amiga style side scroller with terrific controls and old school graphics (free or $1.99). The pro version adds nine levels, different weapons and new enemies.

LuxTouch (NOT Dlx) - If you like Risk, you'll love this clone. Don't bother paying $7.99 for the "deluxe" version, as it add nothing to the game except lag and more maps.

Monopoly Here and Now: World Edition - Sale $4.99

Hero of Sparta - Sale $5.99 (down from $9.99)

[quote name='Vader582']

Anyone else playing iMob? It's a fun little RPG-type game. It's free but they charge for "Respect Points" which seem somewhat useless to me. If anyone else is playing feel free to add me via my friend code: 100020013.[/quote]

sent invite

iMob: 100382399

Check out some temporary intro prices:

Bomber Online ($0.99) - WAYYYYY better than the "real" Bomberman game, and only $0.99. No excuse not to pick this up. Online play has chat. If any CAGs pick it up, let me know and we'll swap names.

Slotz Racing ($0.99) - A slot racer that doesn't require all of Christmas day to assemble. I still have yet to won a race, but jump on it before the price goes up.

My iMob code:

Bomber Online Alias:
MGD HUNTERR

[quote name='cbotwell']Keep an eye on: http://appshopper.com/prices/free

It sorts apps that have change from any price to free.

smile.gif

[/quote]
thanks

3-D Vector Ball just dropped to 99 cents and its a lot of fun. Just make sure to change the controls so you can use the touch screen instead of tilting (or at least try it out, it seems a lot better that way for me).

Hydrotilt went back down to $2.99 again and they're going to add a level editor next month.

Lock N Roll looks like fun and it's free. There are instructions on how to play it below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhZj9_nyjII&eurl

Grabbed Silent Scope and iCopter. A friend had iCopter on his touch and I played it all the time yet never dropped the dollar myself.

Pangea is having a sale on their games again for 99 cents the next week.

Titles included:

Enigmo
Cro-Mag Rally
Bugdom 2
Antimatter
Nanosaur 2
Billy Frontier

Edit: I'd stay away from Billy Frontier, Bugdom 2, and Antimatter.

Thanks for the updates Master Shake. I'm getting an iPhone delivered to me this week and will be anxious to pick up some sweet apps/games!

[quote name='bassec']Thanks for the updates Master Shake. I'm getting an iPhone delivered to me this week and will be anxious to pick up some sweet apps/games![/quote]
You can buy the apps from itunes before it gets here, just in case.

rolando for 5.99 is a steal.

Best iPhone app is the cag iPhone forums for free!! Just bookmark the forums as an icon and it shows a pic of cheapyd as the icon!

mafia live is $2.99 and fairly addictive and pretty fun. as a dope wars feel to it.
also fantastic contraption is just like the flash version. id say worth the $3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back