iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MC Hampster']At this point I don't think anyone should be surprised when a game goes on sale within weeks or even days after release. It seems to be pretty standard practice at this point. :)[/QUOTE]I'm not saying I'm surprised. I'm just saying that I knew this was going to happen, but I still bought it anyway because I wanted to play it right away.

Was hoping they'd have an introductory sale price like they did with Madden (sale on the first few days of release with a price increase later) but they went with the other method.

still wish Dungeon Hunter would go on sale. Hey, there's monsters --- that's reason enough to have it on sale for Halloween!

[quote name='darkk']what are some good horror themed games?[/QUOTE]
Anything with Miley Cyrus.:D

In all seriousness, iDracula and though not really "horror", Spider are excellent.

BASS is freeware on PC. Not worth it for the iPhone.

Super KO Boxing Touch 2 or whatever it is is actually REALLY good. I bought it after trying the demo.

Modern Combat Sandstorm, however, has great production values, but you're still playing CoD on a system that just doesn't work for it.

[quote name='LuisRM']I'm stuck on the very last level. I'll avoid spoilers, but it's not the Bull run. B-R-U-T-A-L. The new update coming in a couple of weeks has "hot pants" which should give you 1 extra shot at completing the lava stages.

http://www.rocketcat-games.com/blog/[/QUOTE]

Gold Skull is just ridiculous. I'm not even going to bother beating it.

True BASS is freely distributed for use with scummvm, there are audio problems that this remastered iPhone version resolves. Also, I think they deserve $3 bucks kicked their way for embracing the homebrew community and being cool enough to give the game for all these years, when other companies, notably lucasarts, won't give away a damn thing. And even then, we still bought monkey island on sale to encourage development.

[quote name='DtotheP']Darkest Fear is on sale for $.99. Loved the wap version from years ago, but I haven't played the iPhone version... Yet..[/QUOTE]
Sounds.... dark. I should give it a gander, been awhile since I've added to my mobile phone's game collection. It's also cheap.
smile

[quote name='guessed']iGuerilla 2 is free today from $2.99.[/QUOTE]

The first one is also free and appears to have better reviews. Downloading both anyway, hoping that maybe future updates will help with control issues, etc.

Hey, free is free and there aren't many FPS for iPod Touch.

[quote name='DtotheP']True BASS is freely distributed for use with scummvm, there are audio problems that this remastered iPhone version resolves. Also, I think they deserve $3 bucks kicked their way for embracing the homebrew community and being cool enough to give the game for all these years, when other companies, notably lucasarts, won't give away a damn thing. And even then, we still bought monkey island on sale to encourage development.[/QUOTE]
I'd say the difference is that Lucasarts made classics that stand the test of time etc etc. I thought BASS was just a hunk of junk, as far as adventure games go, myself.

TapStar ™ Premium is on sale for .99 for today and tomorrow. http://appshopper.com/link/tapstar-2

A nostalgic rhythm game from EpicTilt for the iPhone and iPod Touch that includes loads of content, currently 24 premium tracks, exclusively from Sony Music Entertainment’s superstar artists, including:

✓RUN DMC / Mary Mary
✓Lit / My Own Worst Enemy
✓Romantics / What I Like About You
✓John Mayer / Say
✓P!nk / Get the Party Started
✓Sarah McLachlan / Fallen
✓Cyndi Lauper / Girls Just Want to Have Fun
✓Warrant / Heaven
✓TLC / Creep
✓Spin Doctors / Two Princes
✓Cheap Trick / I Want You to Want Me
✓Three Days Grace/Never Too Late
✓Los Lonely Boys / Heaven
✓Kansas / Carry On Wayward Son
✓Cheap Trick / Surrender
✓John Mayer / Waiting on the World to Change
✓John Mayer / Your Body Is a Wonderland
✓Sarah McLachlan / Angel
✓Spin Doctors / Little Miss Can't Be Wrong
✓Warrant / Cherry Pie
✓Metro Station / Kelsey

Quick question about downloading apps. If I download an app on one computer, I won't get charged if I download it again on another computer, will I?

[quote name='locashcrimering']Bloons Tower Defense is on sale for .99. Any tower defense fans that can recommend this?[/QUOTE]

Love it. Well worth the .99.

@rollingskull
so don't buy it, I don't give a shit.

Btw Mecho Wars is on sale for $.99. I know that was very popular here last time it went on sale so if any of you missed it, grab it now.

[quote name='grrouchie']know it doesn't belong here, but today I dropped my touch for the first time ever and the friggin touch screen basically shattered...

gah![/QUOTE]

Did you have a case for it or something to protect it? I've dropped my touch twice and all I have are dented corners.

[quote name='crunchewy']I dropped my uncased 1st gen touch many times and only got dings on it. That's some bad luck getting a shattered screen.[/QUOTE]

No case or anything....

And yeah, it just slipped, out, landed flat on a piece of plastic (base of fan) and the upper right hand corner, over a quarter of the screen, split in like 14 directions....

Gotta order a replacement screen, but at least it still works

I want to reiterate that everyone interested in RTS games should pick up Robocalypse while it's on sale for 99 cents. Great game. It even has good online play, though a bit short on online players. Still I was just able to play a game online after a short wait (and got my butt handed to me - need more newbs like me. :) Create a game rather then just looking for a game. I did that and then only had to wait about a minute before someone joined.

This game is awesome its called

Eliminate pro

Its a free Multipayer FPS. It's free for now and its pretty awesome. We should get some CAG matches going.

Anyone want to explain the Eliminate Pro pay-to-play system? How much is one allowed to play "for credit" without paying daily? How much do credits cost?

Horrible timing but I finally picked up Baseball Superstars 2010. I can't decide which is the best options to use in terms of difficulty and so on...

Horrible timing but I finally picked up Baseball Superstars 2010. I can't decide which is the best options to use in terms of difficulty and so on...

[quote name='iowaholdem']Anyone want to explain the Eliminate Pro pay-to-play system? How much is one allowed to play "for credit" without paying daily? How much do credits cost?[/QUOTE]

It seems like you earn credits playing or if your bad you have to wait to recharge.

Card Ace, our Texas Hold 'Em game, is finally out on the App Store! Grab it here:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=335244742&mt=8

It's the only cross-platform online multiplayer Texas Hold 'Em game you can play against players on an iPhone, iPod Touch, Facebook, or Pre. Totally free. Uses a lot of Word Ace's interface, like the picture emotes and Friend Lists. If you've got a Word Ace profile, it'll carry over automatically!

Cheers!
seppo

[quote name='helava']Card Ace, our Texas Hold 'Em game, is finally out on the App Store! Grab it here:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=335244742&mt=8

It's the only cross-platform online multiplayer Texas Hold 'Em game you can play against players on an iPhone, iPod Touch, Facebook, or Pre. Totally free. Uses a lot of Word Ace's interface, like the picture emotes and Friend Lists. If you've got a Word Ace profile, it'll carry over automatically!

Cheers!
seppo[/QUOTE]

sweet! I'm getting an iphone in a week. I'm going to load up on free apps now! Got Robocalypse while I was at it.

[quote name='helava']Card Ace, our Texas Hold 'Em game, is finally out on the App Store! Grab it here:

Cheers!
seppo[/QUOTE]

I'm going to give it a shot. Getting Hold 'Em AI right is hard...let's see how you do :)

[quote name='ZForce915']I'm going to give it a shot. Getting Hold 'Em AI right is hard...let's see how you do :)[/QUOTE]

Haha. You'll probably be disappointed, if that's the case. Our AI is really weak - it's meant only as a really general placeholder - the meat of the game is online. We'll be improving the AI with updates, but the main focus is in the online multiplayer, where you'll play almost always against humans...

seppo

[quote name='helava']Haha. You'll probably be disappointed, if that's the case. Our AI is really weak - it's meant only as a really general placeholder - the meat of the game is online. We'll be improving the AI with updates, but the main focus is in the online multiplayer, where you'll play almost always against humans...

seppo[/QUOTE]

Wow, awesome. I played Word Ace for several hours, then wanted to play regular Texas Hold 'Em. Can't wait!

Cheers!
seppo[/QUOTE]

Will be grabbing this. Thanks for all your awesome work seppo!

[quote name='iowaholdem']Anyone want to explain the Eliminate Pro pay-to-play system? How much is one allowed to play "for credit" without paying daily? How much do credits cost?[/QUOTE]

Touch Arcade has a really detailed writeup on it—essentially, the game will always be free to play, and you never have to buy any credits to play online.

The only difference is how fast your character can upgrade; you only gain experience when you have "energy," and once your energy runs out you either have to wait for it to recharge over time, or you can pay real money for energy upgrades. You can still play just fine without any energy—you just won't gain any experience for it.

I was a little skeptical at first, but so long as you're okay with just playing for fun and not really stressing out over maxing your stats quickly and unlocking armor and weapons, it's free for life.

[quote name='helava']Thanks! If you like it, please tell your friends! It's also available on the Pre, and on Facebook (http://apps.facebook.com/cardace - and if you've got friends without the device to play it, Word Ace is also on Facebook (http://apps.facebook.com/wordace))

Cheers!
seppo[/QUOTE]

Any chance to see it on Android? I have a Touch, so I'm stuck with Wi-Fi on that. It would be neat to be able to play it on my Hero and have an app on the phone that isn't bloatware.

[quote name='cycophuk']Any chance to see it on Android? I have a Touch, so I'm stuck with Wi-Fi on that. It would be neat to be able to play it on my Hero and have an app on the phone that isn't bloatware.[/QUOTE]

It's not in the cards at the moment. We're a team of five people, and managing the games we've got out now (across three platforms) is about as much as we can handle at the moment. If we can squeak out the resources to do it, and if we can make sure the market is there, then we'll definitely consider it. But it's not in the cards at the moment, I'm afraid.

Thanks.
seppo

Yumsters 2 is free for a limited time. Not a bad little game. Started out as a casual game on the PC and this is a faithful port of it on iPhone...

[quote name='dubbfoolio']AppSniper (now free) allows you to track app prices and plot them even. might be a good utility for this group.[/QUOTE]

It's worth trying out for free but if the devs haven't improved the stability or functionality, you'll be deleting it pretty quickly.
Many times buttons would be missing such as "save" etc, making it a PITA to save any new app to your watch list.

I replaced it with BarginBin, which has fewer functions but runs smoothly.

Just to re-recommend it: Super KO Boxing 2 is just a phenomenal Punch-Out clone. You're only cheating yourself if you don't get it at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back