iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tenchim86']Hey everyone.

Sentinel: Mars Defense is free right now. I've heard it was a good tower defense game so get it and try it out.

http://appshopper.com/link/sentinel[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Free is usually a game with fair to bad reviews but this one's review look fairly positive.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Just to re-recommend it: Super KO Boxing 2 is just a phenomenal Punch-Out clone. You're only cheating yourself if you don't get it at some point.[/QUOTE]I want the game, but at $5? I don't know. I'll download the free version now so I remember to look into the full version sometime when I have a new iPod.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Just to re-recommend it: Super KO Boxing 2 is just a phenomenal Punch-Out clone. You're only cheating yourself if you don't get it at some point.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, was looking for a CAG opinion on this game.

[quote name='j0dy77']Thanks, was looking for a CAG opinion on this game.[/QUOTE]

I played through the free version and thought it was very easy, I won every possible thing in very little time. Does the full version add any difficulty?

I just played through the lite version of Super KO boxing and, yep, it was ludicrously easy. The only opponent I even had to dodge was the second one. The final opponent all I did was keep punching him in the face. Just press the button over and over. Moreover I'm not sure this game would be fun if it did get hard because of the touchscreen controls - it was easy to miss the dodge buttons. This one's a pass for me.

[quote name='brett2007']I played through the free version and thought it was very easy, I won every possible thing in very little time. Does the full version add any difficulty?[/QUOTE]

You're not OTGGamer on Twitter are you? :bouncy:

[quote name='ninjames']You're not OTGGamer on Twitter are you? :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Hey James,

Yep, that's me! Recognized my thumbs up picture didn't you. ;-)
I just updated my CAG profile to use that twitter account rather than my rarely used @wiibien one.

-Brett

[quote name='brett2007']I played through the free version and thought it was very easy, I won every possible thing in very little time. Does the full version add any difficulty?[/QUOTE]

Yes, once you get beyond the first circuit, you start seeing some serious difficulty spikes. It is paced just like Punch-Out really. I'm in the last circuit and it becomes downright ball-busting.

I just played through the lite version of Super KO boxing and, yep, it was ludicrously easy. The only opponent I even had to dodge was the second one. The final opponent all I did was keep punching him in the face. Just press the button over and over. Moreover I'm not sure this game would be fun if it did get hard because of the touchscreen controls - it was easy to miss the dodge buttons. This one's a pass for me.

It's a shame you feel that way. I find the controls wonderful, and, yes, the challenge does come in even just in the next one or two fights, and ramps up considerably from there.

Dungeon Hunter has also dropped from $6.99 to $4.99. I think I"ll have to bite now that it's dropped. Gameloft games haven't traditionally dropped significantly more, have they?

Another recommendation for $1: Block Breaker Deluxe 2. If you like Arkanoid at ALL, BBD2 is just a spectacular, amazing value package of breakout, with tons of different modes including random levels, some not shabby boss battles for variety, and just kickass variety.

Also, if you are bored with Harbor Master, try 33rd Division for $1. A path drawing game where you guide soldiers around enemy soldiers' cones of vision.

[quote name='Thrakker']Dungeon Hunter has also dropped from $6.99 to $4.99. I think I"ll have to bite now that it's dropped. Gameloft games haven't traditionally dropped significantly more, have they?[/QUOTE]

Hero of Sparta dropped all the way to 1 dollar. Not sure if you can hold out that long, that took a long time.

[quote name='crunchewy']Block breaker deluxe 2 is fun until the levels just get annoying, and they do. But for $1 it's a good buy anyway.[/QUOTE]

SUDDENLY ANGLED 3 HP BLOCKS ALL SUSPENDED A HALF INCH ABOVE THE PADDLE.

Yeah, it gets annoying, but the game is worth it.

Tap-Fu just dropped to .99 not sure for how long tho.

http://appshopper.com/link/tap-fu

500x_tap_fu_pirates.jpg

I check every day, so I'm happy that see that Rock Band finally added some new content today (not at lot, but it's free, at least). One new two-song DLC pack. "Night Lies" and "Pleasure (Pleasure)" by Bang Camaro. Yeah, I know, never heard of them either. But the last two free songs packs turned out to be good, so hopefully this one is also. Downloading them now. Trying them out soon.

[quote name='MatLu']I check every day, so I'm happy that see that Rock Band finally added some new content today (not at lot, but it's free, at least). One new two-song DLC pack. "Night Lies" and "Pleasure (Pleasure)" by Bang Camaro. Yeah, I know, never heard of them either. But the last two free songs packs turned out to be good, so hopefully this one is also. Downloading them now. Trying them out soon.[/QUOTE]

Bang Camero is an awesome band. I love playing their songs on the console version of Rock Band. Never heard Night Lies, but Pleasure (Pleasure) is kick ass.

there's a new Victoria's Secret app that's free!!

all it is is a bunch of videos... but videos of girls with minimum clothing!

[quote name='DtotheP']The standalone iPuppy games are free right now.[/QUOTE]
The phone based app store says iPuppy Husky is free (but the test below says $.99) oh well I am getting this for my kid.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Hey guys, be sure to pick this up since I've thoroughly enjoyed this one myself ^_^

Synth Racing just dropped from 2.99 to .99... Don't pass it up !!!

iTunes Link

[/QUOTE]

Can't download unless you're on wi-fi or a PC. Gotta wait until I get home...

I'm thinking I might break down and buy a 32 GB 3G iPod touch tomorrow. It's $280 on BestBuy.com with $20 off for ordering through Paypal. That seems like a pretty decent deal to me...

I've got a flight to and from Albuquerque with some layovers next week, so I think I might need the entertainment.

[quote name='imamanwithaplan']what are your favorite free games/apps? i just got a touch and dont want to spend any money on any apps yet.[/QUOTE]

FlightControl
The Creeps = might not be free any more but if it is grab it.
Chess = They have a few out there.
Fling

Synth Racing is good.
That Arkanoid thing ... Block buster or whatever. It's AMAZING. Lovin' it.

To the guy who asked:
Favorite free games/apps:
-Stanza[Stanza is the reason I use my iPod so much ...]
-NY Times [It's the New York Times on your iPod for freeee]
-AP Mobile [Not as clean as the NYT app but more news!]
-Cube Runner [It's fun. Hard.]
-Facebook/eBay [Fun.]
-Word Ace [is sweet!]
-TapDefense [really good free tower defense.]
-Lux Touch [Risk!!]
-Zombies Attack! Free [Different than normal Zombies Attack, fun]

99 cent apps [at least, I got them for $1. May as well be free, right? Especially ... worth the money.]
-Pocket God is totally worth the $1.
-The arkanoid clone and Synth Runner are both really good.
-Enviro-Bear is worth $1 just because it exists. Seriously.

Other apps:
-I have the McSweeneys app. It's AWESOME! Highly recommend. Though, if you don't like McSweeneys ... well, it might not be a good fit. I replaced my $50 subscription to McSweeneys with a $11 subscription to this app, and now I actually read the website through my iPod: I even get random parts of the other things they make.
-I also got iSyn and iShred. They're cool, but not really ... like ... I have a real synth. They're fun to play with but not really useful. :p They did make me waste $10 though. [rolls eyes.]
-Kindle is on iPod, which is nice. I bought Infinite Jest and read it periodically.

@h3llbring3r the app store shows the ipuppy games as free for me. Also iPuppy World is on sale for $.99 and is like all three other games combined plus 3 more breeds +more etc. Looks like a good buy.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']The phone based app store says iPuppy Husky is free (but the test below says $.99) oh well I am getting this for my kid.[/QUOTE]

They are all coming up free for me right now so I am downloading them but it reminds me that I have not turned on my Nintendogs DS game in like 2 years, I wonder if my dog ran away or is dead.

[quote name='imamanwithaplan']what are your favorite free games/apps? i just got a touch and dont want to spend any money on any apps yet.[/QUOTE]

I agree with Sam1111111. $0.99 is essentially free and unless you are a kid who don't have access to any money to buy from iTunes, you should spend the buck to buy some quality games. You won't regret it.

Some free suggestions:
1) Real Racing GTI. Just download it to see the graphic prowess of the iPhone. I have the full version too.
2) Tatomic - best free puzzle game. Little similar to Lumines. You won't believe it's free.
3) Space Deadbeef - side scrolling shooter
4) Trace - physic/platform game where you can draw your own path. Gets pretty hard by the end.
5) Word Fu - word scrabble/spelling game

Below are my recommendations for $0.99 games (I'll stick to games since this a CAG forum... although there are entertainment options beyond games like Stanza, NYT, facebook, etc.)

1) Flight Control... forget Harbor Master or any other "line drawing" game. Not only is this the best line drawing game, this is the best $0.99 game, period... may be even the best at any price range. This game is built for the Touch/iPhone (or may be it's the other way around...)
2) Parachute Panic. Another game with great touch control scheme. Little on the mindless side but a great "short burst" game.
3) Knight Onrush. Another mindless game but it has great graphics and control. My favorite castle defense game. Be prepared for some tired fingers/wrists.
4) Fling. There is a free version but this puzzle game can get pretty challenging.
5) 7 Cities. Currently on sales for $0.99. A great tower defense game but not the best. It's pretty good for a dollar though.

And if you want to pony up another buck, I can't recommend geoDefense Swarm highly enough. It's a super tough game but I love its depth and challenge. The graphic is superb and the control is fantastic. It really is the best Tower Defense game. Highly cerebral and high on adrenaline!!

If I were to be stuck on an island with only two games, I would perfectly happy with Flight Control and geoDefense Swarm.

The best "free" game there is (well, it's ad supported - there is a paid version that doesn't have ads) is Words with Friends. It's online Scrabble, but with push notification for when it's your turn so you don't have to be online at the same time (you can be, though, and there is in-game text chat). Awesome. You can have multiple games going at once - I've got 7 at the moment. I ended up buying the paid version because I like it so much, but the free/ad version is the full game, so you might as well get it!

Often what I do is take my turn, then go play something else until I've got another turn, which I get notified of. Great stuff!

Jet Car Stunts is AWESOME. Reminds me of Trackmania but with a rocket strapped to your ass

http://appshopper.com/games/jet-car-stunts

http://toucharcade.com/2009/11/16/jet-car-stunts-an-exhilarating-ride/

Auditorium is also an excellent game...really liking it and the music

http://appshopper.com/games/auditorium

lite version: http://appshopper.com/games/auditorium-lite

play it online free: http://www.playauditorium.com/

Anyone try COD:WaW:Zombies yet!??!

http://appshopper.com/games/call-of-duty-world-at-war-zombies

tried it out. pretty good but i feel like the controls are wonky...i switched to dual sticks and it is a little better but still not good...i wish they used the same control/aim system as Modern Combat: Sandstorm

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to give Jet Car Stunts a try. Definitely fun so far, but I'm a little worried this game could get frustratingly difficult the further I get into it. Even the 4th training level was pretty tough to finish with 10 retries or less (at least there are checkpoints!) I guess I'll find out. In any case it's certainly worth $1.99.

I tried the Auditorium flash "game" and couldn't figure out what I was suppose to be doing. Maybe it wasn't working right in Safari, or maybe I'm just clueless. :)

COD:WaW:Zombies seems to be getting good comments at toucharcade forums, but it's $10 for one map and I just tried the Left 4 Dead 2 demo on xbox 360 last night and wasn't really that thrilled with the concept even there. It was just OK. If I'm not mistaken, this game is suppose to be the same kind of coop zombie shooting game, right?

[quote name='crunchewy']I decided to give Jet Car Stunts a try. Definitely fun so far, but I'm a little worried this game could get frustratingly difficult the further I get into it. Even the 4th training level was pretty tough to finish with 10 retries or less (at least there are checkpoints!) I guess I'll find out. In any case it's certainly worth $1.99.

I tried the Auditorium flash "game" and couldn't figure out what I was suppose to be doing. Maybe it wasn't working right in Safari, or maybe I'm just clueless. :)

COD:WaW:Zombies seems to be getting good comments at toucharcade forums, but it's $10 for one map and I just tried the Left 4 Dead 2 demo on xbox 360 last night and wasn't really that thrilled with the concept even there. It was just OK. If I'm not mistaken, this game is suppose to be the same kind of coop zombie shooting game, right?[/QUOTE]

please please PLEASE dont compare an iphone zombie cod:waw single map "port" to L4D2 on the 360.....

[quote name='crunchewy']
COD:WaW:Zombies seems to be getting good comments at toucharcade forums, but it's $10 for one map [/QUOTE]

ouch. $10 for one map, and the worst one of the bunch at that.

^^ Yeah, in a time when there's plenty of good games for $5 or less (many at the $.99 point). EA was being way too greedy trying for $9.99 for this.

[quote name='awp']^^ Yeah, in a time when there's plenty of good games for $5 or less (many at the $.99 point). EA was being way too greedy trying for $9.99 for this.[/QUOTE]

EA? Oh..you mean idEAworks...or maybe trEyArch...or maybe EActivision?

[quote name='awp']^^ Yeah, in a time when there's plenty of good games for $5 or less (many at the $.99 point). EA was being way too greedy trying for $9.99 for this.[/QUOTE]

EA has nothing to do with Call of Duty.

Appears that all Komani games are currently .99 cents (DDR, Silent Hill, Krazy Kart, Silent Scope, and a few others).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back