iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fling! is free right now. Pretty highly rated.

On a side note, I accidentally clicked my watch list in BargainBin and I thought all the apps I wanted were on sale. They're not. Now I'm sad.

Fling! is free right now. Pretty highly rated.

On a side note, I accidentally clicked my watch list in BargainBin and I thought all the apps I wanted were on sale. They're not. Now I'm sad.

[quote name='cycophuk']Didn't see this posted. The update for 3.1 for the Touch has been discounted 50%. It is now 4.95. It's worth it to me to go ahead with at that price. Should be free, but 5 bucks is better than 10.[/QUOTE]

In the same boat, does this update even warrant a purchase?

I'm getting a third gen touch sometime this week and I feel like I'm so far behind I'm not even sure I'm going to know to find the best apps. Even the links in the OP don't help much.

I find that a handful of the "good apps" have recent updates stating that they either no longer work as well as they used to or are now ad supported. Are there any aps that you guys use that are like that?

There's no specific "best apps" as everyone's tastes vary and a lot of touch owners are prone to falling for hype (remember when everyone was making a fuss about minigore for weeks and weeks?)

by now most apps have been updated for 3.0 so they're better than ever, and frankly its ridiculous that everyone complains about free, ad-supported apps. It's like everyone wants something for free and they don't want developers to get paid either.

Anyway, my favorite app is Stanza. I think everyone should download it. Also, BargainBin keeps tabs on which apps are on sale and it has push. The obligatory list is: minigore, Rolando, word ace, space invaders infinity gene, bookworm, baseball sluggers/homerun battle, chronicle of inotia, zenonia, hero of Sparta, tap tap revolution 2, knights onrush - those are the ones that come up in discussion over and over again.

[quote name='DtotheP']There's no specific "best apps" as everyone's tastes vary and a lot of touch owners are prone to falling for hype (remember when everyone was making a fuss about minigore for weeks and weeks?)

by now most apps have been updated for 3.0 so they're better than ever, and frankly its ridiculous that everyone complains about free, ad-supported apps. It's like everyone wants something for free and they don't want developers to get paid either.

Anyway, my favorite app is Stanza. I think everyone should download it. Also, BargainBin keeps tabs on which apps are on sale and it has push. The obligatory list is: minigore, Rolando, word ace, space invaders infinity gene, bookworm, baseball sluggers/homerun battle, chronicle of inotia, zenonia, hero of Sparta, tap tap revolution 2, knights onrush - those are the ones that come up in discussion over and over again.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know that "best apps" will be subjective and I was referring to ads in paid apps. Lame, right?

Is there a free wi-fi finder app for the touch that doesn't require you to already be connected to the internet?

One I just got a few minutes ago and already love is TextPlus. Free text messaging that allows you to chat with multiple people at the same time. Awesome. It is ad supported to keep it free, fwiw.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Unless you want Bluetooth capability or Copy and Paste probably not.[/QUOTE]

Another reason to upgrade is because there are some apps out there that require 3.0 to use. Not a lot, but I'm sure as time goes by, the number will increase.

[quote name='Corvin']One I just got a few minutes ago and already love is TextPlus. Free text messaging that allows you to chat with multiple people at the same time. Awesome. It is ad supported to keep it free, fwiw.[/QUOTE]

I currently have a 1500 text plan from AT&T. Most of my messages go to my girlfriend so is textPlus good enough where it can replace regular texting? I figure I'd downgrade to 200 texts to save 10 bucks a month and use textPlus solely with my girl.

[quote name='LancerEvoX']OMG. Can't believe its a $1. Anyone create anything cool yet?[/QUOTE]
I actually just love playing with the Arpeggiator (it's the setting all the way to the right after you scroll a bit on the synth settings). Just mess with the +/- meters, adjust the speed, and press a key on the keyboard to hear some really cool automated scales. It makes for some great ominous sounding old-school RPG dungeon music.

Are there any tutorials for using 8bitone in English?

I know at one point CheapyD was looking for a CAGcast theme song that was video game sounding and never got any that suited him, so maybe if I could figure 8bitone out, I'd give it a shot.

I tried several free text message apps a month ago or so and never once had anyone receive a message from me. Maybe I'll try again, though.

@iowaholdem

theres an English version of 8bitone's official site but you have to google it because linking from the app takes you straight to the Japanese site, and I couldn't find an English button to click on the Japanese page.

iMerchant Pro is on sale for one day for $.99, it's normally $30. It's not a game but a portable credit card processing and POS solution for small business owners, freelancers etc. You'd still have to get a merchant account etc but this might be a good deal for any cheap ass small business owners here.

[quote name='Kendro']I currently have a 1500 text plan from AT&T. Most of my messages go to my girlfriend so is textPlus good enough where it can replace regular texting? I figure I'd downgrade to 200 texts to save 10 bucks a month and use textPlus solely with my girl.[/QUOTE]

It's free, try it out. There is a 140 character limit per text.

[quote name='hollowfreak']I just use Yahoo instant messenger to text, you just enter the phone number instead of a screenname and it'll send the message as SMS.[/QUOTE]
Is there as specific setting for this? Because I have to be missing something, as I can't seem to get it to work (and, admittedly, didn't play with it much to see what I was doing wrong - it was during a lull between meetings here at work.)

@Ronin317
I'm not exactly sure what you mean but I'll explain the process when I do it.
First I sign in using my yahoo account then I click new message (top right icon) then in the To: field I can either type the actual phone number or the name of the person in my contacts (iPhone) and it'll pull up their number, then just enter a message and send. The only problem I can see with this method is that the person you're sending it to might get a message that says that they have to reply with a Y to allow you to communicate with them, but that only happens the first time. From there on in they're just like normal texts and ims and it even supports push so you'll get your messages even when it's not running.

Does anyone elses quest for knights on rush game mess up when you get to a certain distance? My guy will just randomly stop walking smoothly, and his movements become jerky.

[quote name='hollowfreak']@Ronin317
I'm not exactly sure what you mean but I'll explain the process when I do it.
First I sign in using my yahoo account then I click new message (top right icon) then in the To: field I can either type the actual phone number or the name of the person in my contacts (iPhone) and it'll pull up their number, then just enter a message and send. The only problem I can see with this method is that the person you're sending it to might get a message that says that they have to reply with a Y to allow you to communicate with them, but that only happens the first time. From there on in they're just like normal texts and ims and it even supports push so you'll get your messages even when it's not running.[/QUOTE]
are you using the Y!Messenger App or the web version through Y!go or safari? That may be the difference...I'm gonna try the app in a bit. I was unable to get it to work otherwise...but as I said, I need a bit of time to mess with it. which really isn't happening right now (hell, I shouldn't even be checking CAG with the amount of crap I have piling up). Thanks!

[quote name='seanr1221']Does anyone elses quest for knights on rush game mess up when you get to a certain distance? My guy will just randomly stop walking smoothly, and his movements become jerky.[/QUOTE]

same here. I'm guessing it might be just bad controls. it might also be that it's a small stick for big thumbs.

Just bought geoDefense Swarm. Sort of by accident. I figured I probably would, but as I've only beaten the Easy levels in geoDefense, I thought I could wait. But I clicked to the right of the "Buy Now" button in iTunes, and as I have my account set up to save my password for purchasing, it went ahead and bought it for me.

I'll post some impressions once I've played it.

Wild Wild Train is free for a limited time.

I bought it when it released and would have easily survived without it until now, oh well. It still has a spot on my iPod and probably even tickles someone's nostalgia a bit more than mine.
Obviously worth downloading for free.

[quote name='blue ocarina']Wild Wild Train is free for a limited time.

I bought it when it released and would have easily survived without it until now, oh well. It still has a spot on my iPod and probably even tickles someone's nostalgia a bit more than mine.
Obviously worth downloading for free.[/QUOTE]
Thanks man, I'll try this one out.

:lol: (10 secs in) at the image of the chick in thigh-highs with cleavage busting out and bound to the tracks. It looks like a photo from a bondage website. I would know
just kidding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FHr6_vRgCc

This is very off topic, but I had to reformat my computer and was wondering if there is anyway to re-download my apps in Itunes 9?

Just buy the app again, and it will give you a dialog saying that you already purchased this, so you can download it again for free.
I'm not sure how to easily check if you already bought it or not without attempting to buy it, though

[quote name='seanr1221']Does anyone elses quest for knights on rush game mess up when you get to a certain distance? My guy will just randomly stop walking smoothly, and his movements become jerky.[/QUOTE]

Are you killing all the enemies? If you try to run past them you'll be able to go for a bit but will then be stopped until you turn around and finish them off.

-dave

I am thinking about it I just got Geo Defense not sure if I should bite on Field Runners right now. I dont want to get overloaded with tower defense games you know what I mean.

Looking at AppShopper.com it seems like Field Runners has been dropping in price every so often so I may just wait.

[quote name='Shimrra']I am thinking about it I just got Geo Defense not sure if I should bite on Field Runners right now. I dont want to get overloaded with tower defense games you know what I mean.[/QUOTE]

Definitely, I experienced some Tower Defense burnout because I played nothing but Fieldrunners and The Creeps on the iPhone for a long time :lol:

[quote name='Shimrra']I am thinking about it I just got Geo Defense not sure if I should bite on Field Runners right now. I dont want to get overloaded with tower defense games you know what I mean.

Looking at AppShopper.com it seems like Field Runners has been dropping in price every so often so I may just wait.[/QUOTE]Just so you know, there really are two different categories of tower defense games on the iPhone.

First, you've got your "creeps follow a set path" tower defense which plays in a much more linear fashion. The creeps are forced to follow along one path and you're left to line up your towers along that path. Examples: geoDefense, The Creeps!

Next, you've got a more "creeps will take the shortest path" tower defense which leaves the direction of the creeps to the player. It's more of an open arena in which the creeps will make as direct a line as they can to the exit, but the path they actually take is dictated by your tower placement. Typically these games involve setting up a long and winding path of towers that double back over each other to ensure that the creeps are on the screen long enough to kill them. Examples: geoDefense Swarm, Fieldrunners.

So while you may be worried about getting tower defensed out, you might find that if you balance your TD library out with games of each creep-movement type, you might have a lot of fun playing more games because they're so different.

Personally, I loved the open arena style much more than the set path style, so I had a ton of fun playing the highly-polished-and-worth-full-purchase-price-and-then-some Fieldrunners, while I didn't enjoy geoDefense nearly as much (though I absolutely loved the art style). So I'm pumped to get more open arena TD in geoDefense Swarm!

EDIT: Also, regarding the 8bitone tutorial in English, I tracked it down --> http://www.yudo.jp/en/music/eightbitone/howto

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno if anyone else has reported this, but i Love Katamari hit the $2.99 price point.

Dunno if they fixed the horrendous controls I heard about in the initial game, but... is it really worth it?

I read a story that said the iPhone 3g isn't capable of running katamari at fullspeed. Even the 3gs can only run it somewhere near 80% speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back