iPhone, iPad & iOS Discussion -- White iPhone on Sale 4/28

And people aren't calling because Apple said that they were aware of the issues...so we were all waiting to hear something. This was a bad move by Apple...I'm sure that they won't go out of business but it will piss off a lot of people.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']And people aren't calling because Apple said that they were aware of the issues...so we were all waiting to hear something. This was a bad move by Apple...I'm sure that they won't go out of business but it will piss off a lot of people.[/QUOTE]

What did you want them to do though in all seriousness? recall all the iPhone 4's and redesign the product?... not entirely feasible.

Ugh. Apple is arrogant as usual. I'm glad they're giving away free bumpers, but they were a ripoff at $30 anyway.

And they didn't even really touch on the problem. Let's blame everyone else and then put a bandaid on our phone. Good job Apple.

[quote name='DestroVega']What did you want them to do though in all seriousness? recall all the iPhone 4's and redesign the product?... not entirely feasible.[/QUOTE]

Consumer Reports said it has a defect. They didn't even acknowledge it, they just beat around the bush and deflected like crazy. A recall would have been ideal, or a free upgrade for the next iPhone due next year or sooner.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Consumer Reports said it has a defect. They didn't even acknowledge it, they just beat around the bush and deflected like crazy. A recall would have been ideal, or a free upgrade for the next iPhone due next year or sooner.[/QUOTE]

Recall 3 million phones over 1 more dropped call after 100? If people hate it so much, vote with your wallet, return it and get a full refund with no restocking fee. 1.7% just shows theres alot of noise, but not much substance.

I'm calling it now, when the bumpers/cases are available, the servers will take a dump and ppl will freak out and threaten to return their phone cuz their color is out of stock and gizmodo will make it a front page story.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Consumer Reports said it has a defect. They didn't even acknowledge it, they just beat around the bush and deflected like crazy. A recall would have been ideal, or a free upgrade for the next iPhone due next year or sooner.[/QUOTE]

yeah... im pretty bitter about the whole thing. ive complained several times about my receptions issues in the thread and im not satisfied with their response. not sure what ill do, but im still in the 30 day window. so i may return. i wonder if theyd refund me for the 3rd party case i already bought (regardless of if i return it).

[quote name='Alcedes']Recall 3 million phones over 1 more dropped call after 100? If people hate it so much, vote with your wallet, return it and get a full refund with no restocking fee. 1.7% just shows theres alot of noise, but not much substance.

I'm calling it now, when the bumpers/cases are available, the servers will take a dump and ppl will freak out and threaten to return their phone cuz their color is out of stock and gizmodo will make it a front page story.[/QUOTE]

as others have said. people have been waiting for apple to respond to the problem. my guess is you see increases return quite a bit over the next couple of weeks. and while it may not be a huge base of the 3 million theyve sold, they will be more than before.

I don't even own one of these, and I'm not an apple lover, but free upgrades to the next phone and/or recalls of this one were just not going to happen.

Don't even wanna sound like I'm defending them, because obviously they made an error. But this is the best that would happen.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']yeah... im pretty bitter about the whole thing. ive complained several times about my receptions issues in the thread and im not satisfied with their response. not sure what ill do, but im still in the 30 day window. so i may return. i wonder if theyd refund me for the 3rd party case i already bought (regardless of if i return it).

Looks like the answer is no:
"Q: Will the refund include third party cases?
A: There's a very small number of third party cases out there. So no.
Q: Well it's interesting, there aren't any cases out there, and it's hard to get cases now. If the third party case buyers can produce a receipt, why not give them one?
Steve: It's really simple, if we tell people what our next product is, they stop buying our current products. Sometimes websites buy stolen property and they get out there... and case makers have a history of showing off their new cases for our new products. The case vendors haven't had a history of helping to keep our work under wraps."

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']yeah... im pretty bitter about the whole thing. ive complained several times about my receptions issues in the thread and im not satisfied with their response. not sure what ill do, but im still in the 30 day window. so i may return. i wonder if theyd refund me for the 3rd party case i already bought (regardless of if i return it). [/QUOTE]

Looks like the answer is no:
Q: Well it's interesting, there aren't any cases out there, and it's hard to get cases now. If the third party case buyers can produce a receipt, why not give them one?
Steve: It's really simple, if we tell people what our next product is, they stop buying our current products. Sometimes websites buy stolen property and they get out there... and case makers have a history of showing off their new cases for our new products. The case vendors haven't had a history of helping to keep our work under wraps."

I dunno . . . I didn't think a recall was happening, so I'm not at all surprised by any of it. Fixing the issue isn't a matter of a small change, it's a total redesign -- as long as the antenna is on the outside of the phone the problem is going to exist. Maybe they could move the attenuation point to somewhere that people would be less likely to hit it, but even that would require a significant change, replacing the entire antenna assembly and possibly even moving around internal components to accommodate it. It just isn't going to happen.

People said they wanted free cases, now Apple is saying "sure, we'll give you free cases" . . . and now that's not good enough? Is it even possible for Apple to make some people happy at this point?

Personally, I don't think that my overall iPhone 4 experience has really been any worse than my iPhone 3G experience. I've had a few dropped calls, but I can't honestly say that I've had any more than I had with the 3G. Dropped calls happen sometimes. I had some issues with network access for the first couple of weeks, but that seems to have cleared up on its own, making me suspect that it was more of an AT&T issue than a phone issue. Overall, I'm relatively happy with it -- and most of the problems that I do have with it are not with the signal.

I guess if you're really not happy, the return window is still open. There are lots of other options out there, and maybe the iPhone isn't the right one for you at this time.

I will take them up on their free case offer, though. I'll be curious to see what options they're offering.

[quote name='xpag406']Looks like the answer is no:
Steve: It's really simple, if we tell people what our next product is, they stop buying our current products. Sometimes websites buy stolen property and they get out there... and case makers have a history of showing off their new cases for our new products. The case vendors haven't had a history of helping to keep our work under wraps."[/QUOTE]

yeah, guess ill just order a back up case.

i was thinking maybe id try and exchange my iphone for another one. see if my reception woes are better. if not, then id go from there.

during the Q&A at the press conference jobs was pretty vague about a hardware fix this generation.

and several times he avoided the question on whether or not the free bumper/case offer would extend beyond sept 30th. time to break out my tin foil hat and start a conspiracy theory.

APPLE IS ALREADY DEVELOPING A HARDWARE FIX FOR THE IPHONE 4 AND IT WILL QUIETLY RELEASE AFTER SEPTEMBER 30TH... CONVENIENTLY AFTER THE 30 DAY WINDOW FOR RETURNS!!!!

Q: Is there a hardware redesign in this generation that could fix this problem?

A: You can go on the web and look at pictures of Nokia phones that ship with stickers on the back that say "don't touch here" -- you can go on YouTube and see these. We should you three phones today, all good phones. So right now the state of the art of the entire industry is that no one has solved this problem. Would I like Apple to be first? Yes. Can we make it better right now? Maybe, we'll see.

I think the way they handled it is just fine.

Like they said, 1.7% of people returned it. I personally have probably had 1 dropped call for every 100, and so what? I just redial. People are blowing this way out of proportion, and as far as I'm concerned all they needed to do was give a free case. Which they're doing.

If you guys think this really tiny problem is too much for you, they're letting you return the phone and your contract. Go buy a better phone.

Oh wait.... :p

[quote name='the_punisher']I think the way they handled it is just fine.

Like they said, 1.7% of people returned it. I personally have probably had 1 dropped call for every 100, and so what? I just redial. People are blowing this way out of proportion, and as far as I'm concerned all they needed to do was give a free case. Which they're doing.

If you guys think this really tiny problem is too much for you, they're letting you return the phone and your contract. Go buy a better phone.

Oh wait.... :p[/QUOTE]

I think there are actually plenty of better phones out there this time around, but yeah, I think they handled it as well as they could. It would have been a lot better for them just to admit the problem up front and take care of it instead of letting it get to the point it is at now.

[quote name='docvinh']I think there are actually plenty of better phones out there this time around[/QUOTE]

Better is a relative term, and which phone is better for any one person will depend greatly on what exactly they need or want it to do. Personally, when I bought the iPhone 4, I evaluated my options pretty carefully before deciding, and came to the conclusion that it was the better one for me. I will agree with you that the competition has caught up in many aspects -- the iPhone isn't the clear-cut winner that it used to be. But are any of those options "better"? I think that, with where things are at right now, that can only be argued subjectively, not objectively. Because believe me, if there were an objectively better phone out there, I'd have bought it instead.

[quote name='arcane93']Better is a relative term, and which phone is better for any one person will depend greatly on what exactly they need or want it to do. Personally, when I bought the iPhone 4, I evaluated my options pretty carefully before deciding, and came to the conclusion that it was the better one for me. I will agree with you that the competition has caught up in many aspects -- the iPhone isn't the clear-cut winner that it used to be. But are any of those options "better"? I think that, with where things are at right now, that can only be argued subjectively, not objectively.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I don't disagree with you, I think these arguments are always subjective.:) However, compared to the competition when the first Iphone came out, this generation has enough competitors where you could easily say that there is a better phone. I certainly don't think the Iphone is best, in my subjective opinion, but no doubt it's the best phone on AT&T.

[quote name='mykevermin']Awww, the statistically insignificant vocal minority isn't getting their way. :([/QUOTE]

based on every other one of your posts I would think you would be campaigning for them.

[quote name='arcane93']Better is a relative term, and which phone is better for any one person will depend greatly on what exactly they need or want it to do. Personally, when I bought the iPhone 4, I evaluated my options pretty carefully before deciding, and came to the conclusion that it was the better one for me. I will agree with you that the competition has caught up in many aspects -- the iPhone isn't the clear-cut winner that it used to be. But are any of those options "better"? I think that, with where things are at right now, that can only be argued subjectively, not objectively. Because believe me, if there were an objectively better phone out there, I'd have bought it instead.[/QUOTE]

I agree to an extent. However, from an objective, feature by feature comparison you could easily argue that the iPhone4 is behind the curve compared to other models.

[quote name='benjamouth']Q: I can't get my Bold to drop right now, maybe you can show me how to do it?
Steve: You may not see it in certain areas.

:rofl:[/QUOTE]

They have cell repeaters on site. You could encase the thing in an elephant's nutsack and it'd still get 5 bars.

[quote name='mykevermin']Awww, the statistically insignificant vocal minority isn't getting their way. :([/QUOTE]

I just want one of their overpriced "bumpers" to cover my phone and I was hoping to get one for free instead of paying the $30.

[quote name='docvinh']I certainly don't think the Iphone is best, in my subjective opinion, but no doubt it's the best phone on AT&T.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I count AT&T as one of the major strikes against it. ;)

[quote name='h3llbring3r']I agree to an extent. However, from an objective, feature by feature comparison you could easily argue that the iPhone4 is behind the curve compared to other models.[/QUOTE]

Sure, but that gets into the very subjective questions of which features you're going to use, which ones matter to you, etc. For example, ok, the EVO can act as a wireless hotspot, which I'll admit is a nice feature that the iPhone doesn't have -- but it's not something I'm personally very interested in. I'd much rather have the Retina display. My point being that pretty much no matter which phone you take at this point, you are making some form of compromise. It's all a matter of choosing which compromises you're willing to make.

I brough a bumper like two weeks ago but didn't really like it, so I sold on eBay for the same price. Now Apple are giving refunds for people that brought them.. good thing I kept the receipt!

Wasting no time, Consumer Reports, which called out Apple on the antenna problem earlier, came out swinging Friday, calling the bumper offer "nice," but incomplete.
"Consumers deserve answers and fairness," Consumer Reports said in a statement. "Providing free bumpers and cases is a good first step toward Apple identifying and finding a solution for the signal-loss problem of the iPhone 4."
http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/sto...drama.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

Yup.

I'm still processing all of this information...while I do like the phone, it has dropped a lot of calls, more so than my 3G. My 3G dropped a lot of calls in the beginning as well, but firmware upgrade that came out a month or so after fixed most of the problems. I was hoping for another similar fix but since it doesn't seem to be in the works, I'm on a short time line to decide if I want to jump ship or not.

Pretty much exactly what I thought was going to happen. ::shrugs:: did anyone really honestly expect anything else? I guess we cant go to the ATT store for the free bumpers? I dont feel like driving to the mall. I really dont even want them but since they are free and I am a CAG.....

[quote name='javeryh']I just want one of their overpriced "bumpers" to cover my phone and I was hoping to get one for free instead of paying the $30.[/QUOTE]

You will. They're giving them out free. Did you miss that part?

Sorry if I missed it, but did they said how they would handle reimbursing for people who already bought the bumpers? All they said was they give refunds to people who already bought them but didnt mention how.

[quote name='TheRock88']Sorry if I missed it, but did they said how they would handle reimbursing for people who already bought the bumpers? All they said was they give refunds to people who already bought them but didnt mention how.[/QUOTE]

They just said that a site will be up late next week were you can register your information to request the case. My guess is that this same site might provide you details on getting a refund...or you can always call the Apple store to find out if they're doing refunds on those now.

[quote name='Anexanhume']You will. They're giving them out free. Did you miss that part?[/QUOTE]

I guess so... I thought they said they didn't have enough bumpers and you would have to pick from a list of cases but I'm really tired and me no read english good.

I see your point but this debacle has served to make me think twice about upgrading to the phone, am I the only one ?

Perhaps.

[quote name='benjamouth']I see your point but this debacle has served to make me think twice about upgrading to the phone, am I the only one ?

Perhaps.[/QUOTE]

It really isnt THAT big a deal. Seriously. The angry minority always scream the loudest. Yeah, i drop calls. Talking on the phone accounts for maybe, MAYBE 10% of me using the phone and quite honestly most of my dropped calls are from me holding the phone with my shoulder against my face and then my cheek hangs up the call. As long as I actually hold the phone against my face I have almost no problems.

Att has served me well for 5 years now and I had each other one prior
It really is different for everyone
And as stated, every phone has it's drawbacks and we just decide what we can tolerate
Not too different from a lover tbh
Lol

[quote name='Malik112099']It really isnt THAT big a deal. Seriously. The angry minority always scream the loudest. Yeah, i drop calls. Talking on the phone accounts for maybe, MAYBE 10% of me using the phone and quite honestly most of my dropped calls are from me holding the phone with my shoulder against my face and then my cheek hangs up the call. As long as I actually hold the phone against my face I have almost no problems.[/QUOTE]

Right now with my 3G, I drop 2-3 calls a day (in NW Atlanta- never dropping below 3 bars). A neighbor with a 3GS tells me that about 1/3 of all her calls experience a drop (she works from home and claims these are stationary drops- so no cell-hop failure).

If the 4 is indeed demonstrably worse than my 3G and allegedly worse than a 3GS- I'm staying far away.

I really don't think is as minuscule as Apple made it out to be. If you guys are convinced then I guess they really did a good job with their presentation today.

Do you really think that 100% of all users that are experiencing issues are going to take the time to go to an Apple store to complain, or call up Apple support? Of course not, most people usually know that there are bugs with 1st gen software and most expect firmware fixes to show up soon after launch. It's always a risk buying at launch, but Apple's arrogance in the matter, and their workaround "fix" really rubbed me the wrong way as a consumer.

I'm not convinced nor was I expecting to be
Just as a consumer I sm getting my moneys worth and that's all that matters to me
Today's presentation was meaningless from my point of view

Steve Jobs just cemented himself as a world leader in the CEO Hall of Douche. I'll still probably get a Iphone 4 in September when my current upgrade period hits unless a better smart phone hits the market.

Zagg is now offering sides only coverage for the iphone 4. http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/apple-iphone-4-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Right now with my 3G, I drop 2-3 calls a day (in NW Atlanta- never dropping below 3 bars). A neighbor with a 3GS tells me that about 1/3 of all her calls experience a drop (she works from home and claims these are stationary drops- so no cell-hop failure).

If the 4 is indeed demonstrably worse than my 3G and allegedly worse than a 3GS- I'm staying far away.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? I never dropped anywhere close to 2-3 calls a day on my 3G. Maybe 2 or 3 a week. I find this hard to believe. You sound like those people who say they have been through 15 xbox 360s

[quote name='javeryh']I guess so... I thought they said they didn't have enough bumpers and you would have to pick from a list of cases but I'm really tired and me no read english good.[/QUOTE]

No, you're right. Everyone will get cases, but they haven't been able to guarantee bumpers. And I warn you, some of the bumper colors are retardedly ugly. So even if they have some left, it might not be in a color you like.

[quote name='saunderscowie']How are apple going to fix this problem for people who don't want a shitty case on their phone?[/QUOTE]
they are allowing you to return your phone to get a full refund.

So ive had the iphone4 since launch day, making it about 3 weeks now...and ive had ZERO dropped calls. It might be the fact that i Live and Work near and around the major L.A area, and benefit of better ATT coverage, who knows. But i've honestly have had no issues with my phone performance wise whats soever.

I did buy a screen protector and was looking for a bumper for the phone, just to protect it at it's fullest. So Apple stating that there giving customers a free one was just a bonus for me.

Question is: they said that you can register for a free bumper on there site next week.......but that they don't have that many bumpers to go around?...That sounds like a shit storm waiting to happen. :bomb:

Since they also said that a refund would be given to those who bought one already - can we simply go to a ATT/Apple store to buy one now.......and then ask for a refund??:?: For those who bought one already, any luck getting a refund?

Edit: The ONE issue i do have is that my phone suffers from a yellow mark/stain on the screen. Its about the size of the top of a pencils eraser, located at the bottom left corner. It's very faded color, but noticeable when looking at a white webpage (or white text/messages inbox, for example). There was initial reports that it would disappear with time...but it's now been 3 weeks. Should i ask for an exchange via an ATT store or apple store? Anyone here have the same issue?

Loaded questions i know guys, but any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engadget reported that. They said it had to do with some sort of glue they used in the manufacturing process. It usually goes away after some use.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/iphone-4s-yellow-spot-issue-goes-away-with-a-bit-of-time/

Apple said they would be working with other companies so that you could get a case for free. What this actually means we won't know till next week.

So far two companies have taken offense to Apple trying to bring everyone else into their mess. RIM's had this to say about it:

Here's the full statement:
"Apple's attempt to draw RIM into Apple's self-made debacle is unacceptable. Apple's claims about RIM products appear to be deliberate attempts to distort the public's understanding of an antenna design issue and to deflect attention from Apple's difficult situation. RIM is a global leader in antenna design and has been successfully designing industry-leading wireless data products with efficient and effective radio performance for over 20 years. During that time, RIM has avoided designs like the one Apple used in the iPhone 4 and instead has used innovative designs which reduce the risk for dropped calls, especially in areas of lower coverage. One thing is for certain, RIM's customers don't need to use a case for their BlackBerry smartphone to maintain proper connectivity. Apple clearly made certain design decisions and it should take responsibility for these decisions rather than trying to draw RIM and others into a situation that relates specifically to Apple."

I'm happy about getting a free case and am quite happy with my iPhone 4's performance. The case is a bonus.

At a Chinese restaurant tonight the waiter noticed my iPhone 4 and said it looked good, but he'd heard it didn't get very good reception. I told him that I'd had generally better reception, which is true, and that I felt the issue was blown out of proportion. That he said this to me tells you the extent of the public relations problem Apple's got on it's hands. FYI, he showed me that he had an older iPhone. I don't know which it was, in part because it was in a case.

I've had more signal issues with my iPhone 4 in my apartment than I ever did with my 3G. Still, it's not a deal-killer for me.

I was sure Apple was going to give out bumpers/cases. I would prefer a case...but, it's gonna have to be a highly rated one. Otherwise, I'll take a free bumper.

The case is by no means a permanent solution though. The offer only lasts until September 30th, and after that who knows.

bread's done
Back