Is the PS3 still a Rare item or is no one interested

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I'm intriuged about the mpeg-2 and VC-1 codec deal...didn't know about that =O. I'm new to that, so if studios were to switch to VC-1, would it be playable on the PS3?[/QUOTE]
There are already Blu-ray movies that use VC-1. Flightplan, for example. And while MPEG-2 may not be as good a codec on paper, I've read a number of reviews comparing the quality of the same release on both formats and codecs that say it's a wash, quality-wise (partially due to the increased storage space that Blu-ray provides, I'm sure -- when you can give MPEG-2 very high bit rates it looks very good).

[quote name='icruise']There are already Blu-ray movies that use VC-1. Flightplan, for example. And while MPEG-2 may not be as good a codec on paper, I've read a number of reviews comparing the quality of the same release on both formats and codecs that say it's a wash, quality-wise (partially due to the increased storage space that Blu-ray provides, I'm sure -- when you can give MPEG-2 very high bit rates it looks very good).[/quote] well i hope your right. disney starting to move in that direction is at least hopeful.

and no, mpeg-2 will never look as good sry, even at twice the bitrate. its been gone over to death. check doom9 & avsforum

the only thing that matches VC-1s PQ is AVC and that will never be standard because at the time they agreed on codecs it required too much HP to decode.

I think HD dvd is pretty much a dead man walking just for the mere fact that when I go to bestbuy or circuitcity i see that the bluray aisle has already doubled over the Hd-dvd aisle and that the BMs only stock very little HD-DVD titles. They've switched all the HD-DVD home theater demos to Bluray too and push Bluray with their HDTV's. The only way you can get HD-DVd titles are on the internet. not a very rosy picture for both formats but even less so for HD DVD.

[quote name='propeller_head']i would love to have a 50GB recordable disc. i have 100s of DVDs worth of data. i'd like to transfer them over to media as few times as possible. lord knows moving them from CD to DVD took me almost a month. i also like how BR is more resistant to scratching.

i just wish, oh how i wish, sony would give up on MPEG-2 and move to VC-1 already. the color repoduction is so much better & the picture less blocky & it uses less space.

i think the last part is what they're concerned about. they want to be able to say they're using all the space for the movie + extras & that if they didnt have it it wouldnt fit. unfortunately 99% of ppl who will be buying these movies will only see their Ads for it and never hear from a HT enthusiast about the unspoken downside. :cry:[/quote]

Actually.. the real reason is a bit more comical, IMO... Microsoft owns VC-1, and Sony doesn't want to pay MS for the tech..

Simple, but stupid from a quality standpoint.. they don't want to pay their arch enemy money. f_0

[quote name='shipwreck']I was still kind of wondering if this whole PS3's sitting on store shelves was indeed a mass occurance or whether it was getting overblown. Well, I went out at lunch and all three stores I went to had PS3's just sitting there. GameCrazy...check, Target...couldn't fit any more in the glass case, Best Buy...stacked. Wow.[/quote]

I've seen PS3's (60 GB models) everywhere this weekend, but not a Wii in sight.

Scalpers learned they weren't going to make profit on PS3's so they returned them. They moved on too Wii's. I have been looking for another Wii for a while and I cant find anything MSRP. Ebay, craiglist etc all want $350-$400.

am I the only one who has no interest in a wii. I have a 360 premium and Im thinking about getting a ps3 just for the blu ray movies, I would only buy the 20gb as its a much better deal than the 60gb.

am I the only one who has no interest in a wii. I have a 360 premium and Im thinking about getting a ps3 just for the blu ray movies, I would only buy the 20gb as its a much better deal than the 60gb.

[quote name='sparklecopy']I think HD dvd is pretty much a dead man walking just for the mere fact that when I go to bestbuy or circuitcity i see that the bluray aisle has already doubled over the Hd-dvd aisle and that the BMs only stock very little HD-DVD titles. They've switched all the HD-DVD home theater demos to Bluray too and push Bluray with their HDTV's. The only way you can get HD-DVd titles are on the internet. not a very rosy picture for both formats but even less so for HD DVD.[/QUOTE]

Thats nothing but Sony strong arming retailers into highlighting blu ray, I just dont think the format will explode in either way, they way that dvd did years ago

My BB has equal area for the 2 formats, I saw at another they game twice the space for blu ray although if you counted up toal number of discs displayed, they were about equal

CC carrys then only now because of the 360 add on, but even then, they are not always displayed

I can find hd dvd at targets and moviestops, but sony IS going to do all they can to make it appear as if blu ray is the only thing out there, they have too much riding on it after what was a horrible year financially for them (computer battery recall, PS3 launch)

wtf, i've been hearing all these crazy stories bout 20/50 ps3's stacked and had been to prob'ly all the BB, CC, target, walmart toys r us within 20 miles of where i live and seen nottin, nada.... (noVA)

[quote name='daphatty']Are any of you really surprised that this is happening? The only reason the PS3 sold like hotcakes before the holidays was because of the markup potential. Now that the fever has subsided the true "value" of the PS3 is no longer clouded and most everyone is in agreement, the PS3 simply isn't worth buying.

Man, I never thought I'd have that opinion...[/QUOTE]

I think it's more of a critical error on Sony. They waited till after christmas to ship all these consoles when no one has any money left after christmas. January is the slowest retail month of the year...how do you expect to sell all these systems when people have no money? Stupid move sony.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']I think it's more of a critical error on Sony. They waited till after christmas to ship all these consoles when no one has any money left after christmas. January is the slowest retail month of the year...how do you expect to sell all these systems when people have no money? Stupid move sony.[/quote]

Wrong. As the original post you quoted said, this has always been the demand for the PS3 (Not much). It was covered up by all the scalpers. I would be pretty scared if I were Sony at what the "actual" sales numbers were from launch. Actual meaning total sales minus people who just bought them to sell them.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/07/gamestop-pulls-out-creative-stops-to-move-ps3s/

348690396_c393f19641.jpg

[quote name='zman73']Thats nothing but Sony strong arming retailers [/quote]No, vendors pay stores (EB, BB, CC, Target, et cetera) for better sales real estate. This is why you'll find certain brand names have more footage at eye level versus inconvienient (and overlooked) spots.

[quote name='guinaevere']No, vendors pay stores (EB, BB, CC, Target, et cetera) for better sales real estate. This is why you'll find certain brand names have more footage at eye level versus inconvienient (and overlooked) spots.[/QUOTE]
I don't think it's payment in terms of money, but more like favors like We'll give you more stock, more advertisements, more exclusive bonuses, things that have monetary intrinsic value but not straight up cash. It's more like a wink wink nudge nudge deal.

[quote name='sparklecopy']I don't think it's payment in terms of money, but more like favors like We'll give you more stock, more advertisements, more exclusive bonuses, things that have monetary intrinsic value but not straight up cash. It's more like a wink wink nudge nudge deal.[/QUOTE]

Actually no it's more like she said, it's more like a we give you money for ads and space deal. If you ever worked retail, particulrly in consumer electronics, you'll quickly figure out everything is typically planned out so that certain companies get a certain amount of space. Why? Because they paid for it, they even send people to check up to make sure stores comply.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Actually no it's more like she said, it's more like a we give you money for ads and space deal. If you ever worked retail, particulrly in consumer electronics, you'll quickly figure out everything is typically planned out so that certain companies get a certain amount of space. Why? Because they paid for it, they even send people to check up to make sure stores comply.[/QUOTE]
but how do they pay for it? and what's it called on thetax ledger? Retail space bribes?

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Actually no it's more like she said, it's more like a we give you money for ads and space deal. If you ever worked retail, particulrly in consumer electronics, you'll quickly figure out everything is typically planned out so that certain companies get a certain amount of space. Why? Because they paid for it, they even send people to check up to make sure stores comply.[/QUOTE]
but how do they pay for it? and what's it called on thetax ledger? Retail space bribes?

Had another close encounter of the PS3 kind:

Walked into Walmart on Saturday morning.

I was browsing the video game section with my wife, looking to see if anything caught my eye (I STILL have X-mas gift cards to spend) and noticed they had 4 PS3s in the case: 2 20 gig, 2 60 gig. I commented to my wife I was surprised they had them in stock. A nearby associate overheard me and said "Yeah, and 15 more of them in the back room."

[quote name='propeller_head']remember when you said that?
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/nikkei/nikkei-on-big-ds-and-wii-sales-slow-ps3-sales-226834.php[/QUOTE]

Yes, I sure do. The link you provide doesn't prove me "wrong" on anything, because I never insisted that the PS3 was outselling the Wii, DS, or anything else.

What I was contending was that you were making a claim, based on a single blog post and a single photograph, that the PS3 wasn't selling, while the actual sales data proved otherwise. Has the sales data changed? Perhaps. Have the sales slowed? It certainly seems so, from all accounts.

I'm not quite sure what you're cheerleading here, as you have merely lucked into being correct after having come to your conclusion - you finally have evidence to support claims that you made many days ago, and now you're proud that you happen to be right. Great for you. Personally, I'd be ashamed to try and make any claim in the absence of evidence save for anecdotes, much less try to grandstand that "I was right/you were wrong" when all of your claims were made before the supporting proof was available.

Think of it this way - while I could care less for Kotaku, Nikkei is the WSJ of Japan (if I remember correctly), so they're very reliable. How would you have reacted if the article said "PS3 Flying Off the Shelves"? Would you have made a post here recanting your claims? Would you have admitted to making some harebrained predictions? Or, would you have ignored the article, justified the sales as ungeneralizable, or otherwise reasoned it away as a statistical anomaly, since it did not reaffirm your claims.

In short, my issue isn't what you claim: it's that you're knee deep in the logical fallacy of affirming the consequent, and refuse to admit it.
http://www.fallacyfiles.org/afthecon.html

If you think it upsets me that the PS3 isn't selling as quickly as Nintendo's consoles, you can continue to make posts like this; of course, you might as well accuse me of caring who died on "One Life to Live" yesterday, because I have as much of a vested interest in that, too. ;)

I don't know why anybody at cheapassgamer would get a 360 or a ps3 at this moment. I'm only interested in gears of war and viva pinata for 360 and absolutely nothing on ps3 right now. That's 450 bucks to play gears of war and 650 bucks to watch bluray. That's not very cheapassgamer to me. that's dumbassgamer.

I made a delivery to best buy on saturday, and they had a big sign saying they have ps3's in stock. The next day they still had the sign up, not sure how many of them they had though. I went to Target last night right before they closed, and they had 8 still in stock. The sales guy said they had 10 in stock in the morning, and have only sold two. All were 60 gigs.

[quote name='converge']I made a delivery to best buy on saturday, and they had a big sign saying they have ps3's in stock. The next day they still had the sign up, not sure how many of them they had though. I went to Target last night right before they closed, and they had 8 still in stock. The sales guy said they had 10 in stock in the morning, and have only sold two. All were 60 gigs.[/QUOTE]
yeah, the ball is slowly coming to a stop on this one. My guess it that Sony is either going to release Spiderman 1 on Bluray and pack it in instead of talledega nights or give coupons out for 2 bluray titles free when you buy a ps3. that's the first way to stop the bleeding.

[quote name='sparklecopy']I don't know why anybody at cheapassgamer would get a 360 or a ps3 at this moment. I'm only interested in gears of war and viva pinata for 360 and absolutely nothing on ps3 right now. That's 450 bucks to play gears of war and 650 bucks to watch bluray. That's not very cheapassgamer to me. that's dumbassgamer.[/quote]

To each their own.

I can maybe see saying 'ZOMG, $450 to play Gears WTFBBQ!1' if the ONLY reason someone bought it was FOR Gears, or a PS3 JUST for Resistance EVER, but in reality, most of the people who have a Xbox 360 have or will buy games other than Gears.. even if you're not a FPS junkie (i'm not) there are games to play, plus live arcade, plus several good Xbox games that are backwards compatible.

I'm sure there are people who love the games in the PS3 launch line up too, or want games plus Blu Ray: Frankly the PS3 is the cheapest Blu Ray player period, so it's a very cheap way to get into the Hi Def movies.

One person's definition of 'cheap' might be different than yours; Mine is spending less than retail on the things I purchase -- it's possible to get a cheap 360, and theoretically feasable to get a cheap PS3 if you play your cards right. It's not cool to imply people are stupid because they're willing to pay for an experience *you* think is overrated -- thats between them and their own wallets.

I would say the 20 Gigs are fairly hard to find. I came back with some cash from Vegas the other night and wanted to buy a PS3 (I didn't go to any stores in Vegas, so I wasn't aware they had become quite plentiful in general) but most places I went to only had 60 giggers (I was most interested in the 20 gig because the 60 has bells and whistles I don't really need and wanted to save the hundred bucks for a couple games) Fortunately, my local EB had gotten a 20 from a guy who returned it because he couldn't sell it.

I have a feeling they're going to jack up production on 20 gig models soon. The lower price point will help them reach their 6m targets easier anyways.

[quote name='mykevermin']Yes, I sure do. The link you provide doesn't prove me "wrong" on anything, because I never insisted that the PS3 was outselling the Wii, DS, or anything else.

What I was contending was that you were making a claim, based on a single blog post and a single photograph, that the PS3 wasn't selling, while the actual sales data proved otherwise. Has the sales data changed? Perhaps. Have the sales slowed? It certainly seems so, from all accounts.

I'm not quite sure what you're cheerleading here, as you have merely lucked into being correct after having come to your conclusion - you finally have evidence to support claims that you made many days ago, and now you're proud that you happen to be right. Great for you. Personally, I'd be ashamed to try and make any claim in the absence of evidence save for anecdotes, much less try to grandstand that "I was right/you were wrong" when all of your claims were made before the supporting proof was available.

Think of it this way - while I could care less for Kotaku, Nikkei is the WSJ of Japan (if I remember correctly), so they're very reliable. How would you have reacted if the article said "PS3 Flying Off the Shelves"? Would you have made a post here recanting your claims? Would you have admitted to making some harebrained predictions? Or, would you have ignored the article, justified the sales as ungeneralizable, or otherwise reasoned it away as a statistical anomaly, since it did not reaffirm your claims.

In short, my issue isn't what you claim: it's that you're knee deep in the logical fallacy of affirming the consequent, and refuse to admit it.
http://www.fallacyfiles.org/afthecon.html

If you think it upsets me that the PS3 isn't selling as quickly as Nintendo's consoles, you can continue to make posts like this; of course, you might as well accuse me of caring who died on "One Life to Live" yesterday, because I have as much of a vested interest in that, too. [/quote]

- you said the only reason Wiis are outselling is because they're making more
you -> "If you consider the ease with which the Wii is manufactured and sent out the door compared to the myriad issues plaguing PS3 manufacture (months ago, anyway - who knows what the case is now), you can only come to one conclusion."

- you said they couldnt keep them in stock

- you dismissed the photoS (not photo, if you had actually read those links you would see they were actually MANY photos from MANY stores and they were takin from Japanese sites

- now the Nikkei (yes, its the Japanese equiv to the Wall Street Journal) is reporting on how 1000s of wiis and DSes sold out in 1 hour while the PS3s are still stacked up in plain view w/ people just walking buy and ignoring them more than 5 days later.

- GET W/ THE PROGRAM BUD. YOURE LIVING IN LA-LA LAND & no matter how much you try to tip-toe around the issue; the facts were there long ago and you chose to ignore them to maintain your little fanboy fantasy.

- i said demand was waning, i provided evidence it was waning, it's the overwhelming consensus its waning. (which you tried to deny by eluding that blogs couldnt be trusted) hell even Daniel A. DeMatteo, vice chairman and chief operating officer at GameStop, said last Thu they had PS3s in stock all week at most of their 3700 stores and there was very little demand for them. they dont just make this stuff up, and they dont publish it for investors to read w/o it having relevance.

- this thread is about "Is the PS3 still a Rare item or is no one interested". so if you think discussing current industry news is anecdotal then youre just an abnegator of reality. its the purpose of the thread. are you suggesting people dont discuss whats happening for another say, 2 years? youre just angry that youve been proven wrong time & again; & youre trying to cover it w/ some pseudo-highbrow B.S. i can smell it from a mile away. lastly dont try to accuse me of a logical fallacy if you dont even understand them. aft the con only applies to instances where there is no clear link to causation. the way youre trying to explain it, any1 who prediects anytying based on anything that comes true could apply. really if they were flying off the shelves as you say then i wouldnt have pointed out the slowing sales & lack of interest BECAUSE THERE WOULDNT HAVE BEEN ANY. i explained it very simply, there was high demand among fanboys who had been anticipating it w/ a vengeance. unfortunately in the grand scheme of things, that's a very small market; hence why there is very little demand now. did you notice @ CES how Sony quoted "SHIPPED" and not "SOLD" ps3 #s? THATS RIGHT, BECAUSE THEYRE SITTING IN STORES INTEAD OF BEING PLAYED. w/ a attach rate of 1:1 most of them that were bought were also probably bought as Blu-Ray players, or to be eBayed and were never opened. Why? im guessing because of the pricetag & because theres only 1 or 2 decent games for it. and the only people willing to overlook that are (as ive said before) fanboys & the small market share of HT enthusiasts who bought it because all the other stand alone BR players suck

if youre going to word your answers like a smartass, make sure you have the brains to back it up. & K.I.S.S. (keep it simple :dunce:). partition out your points & keep out the irrelevant info. keep in mind, im the one staying on topic while youre just trying to assuage yourself w/ your C,C&C facade.

oh, & if youre so keen on fallacies might wanna avoid this in the future
http://www.fallacyfiles.org/redherrf.html

:hot:/flame off :lol::booty::beer:

Look, I'm gonna stay out of this, but I think it is pretty funny that you are calling myke a Sony fanboy. I mean, you can probably call myke a lot of things (and he might even agree with a few of them ;)), but being a Sony fanboy is one of the least likely.

And I happen to agree with your premise for the most part, propeller. While I don't think we can conclude anything as of yet, it is certainly not a good SIGN for Sony that these things are sitting around.

Hell, I was pissed at Sony the other day because I went in to Kmart looking for cheap clearance games hidden at the bottom of their game case and I couldn't see half the games because of the big hulking 60GB PS3 sitting there in the way :lol:.

[quote name='sparklecopy']but how do they pay for it?[/quote]

With money. :lol:

and what's it called on thetax ledger? Retail space bribes?

Advertising probably, or just "money spent on retail space" or whatever.

[quote name='io']Look, I'm gonna stay out of this, but I think it is pretty funny that you are calling myke a Sony fanboy. I mean, you can probably call myke a lot of things (and he might even agree with a few of them ;)), but being a Sony fanboy is one of the least likely.[/QUOTE]

like "son of a bitch." ;)

Propellor is a load of hot air who gets awfully defensive about being right, IMO. It's circumstantially right, of course, but right nonetheless. Instead of admitting that he was making claims about widespread sales based on a few photographs, he wants to argue the stickiness of logical fallacies (on a point of which he's quite wrong, by the way).

What he's done is built his case, *then* found the supporting evidence for it. One point on which he was correct is that I did dismiss photos of PS3s in stock - I did not, and I do not, put any weight in a photograph. He's the one who was completely ignoring sales data in favor of a photograph or two; he's the one who dances with delight in Sony's consoles not selling as well as expected; and he's the one who seems to trash Sony at every opportunity. In the end, somehow I've become the fanboy. As I've said before, if he wants to think that way, fine.

He's the classic case of the old adage, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit." Longwinded posts that refuse to acknowledge that I have no interest, emotionally or financially, in how well company X or Y does; longwinded posts that ignore that his conclusion came before the supporting evidence; longwinded posts that do more to call me names and lambast the way I write (motherfucker should hear me *talk*); and longwinded posts that attempt to do little more than discredit me, when I'm not really anybody worth discrediting.

You know what, I am a fanboy. I'm a fanboy for *evidence*. I'm a fanboy for *data*. I'm a fanboy for *numbers*. I've said as much time and time again. When people make arguments based off of what they saw as an individual (OMG I totally saw 15 Wiis in a Target today Nintendo FTL!), and fail to pay attention to how sales trends run contrary to those claims, my evidence-based fanboy sensibilities get offended.

In the end, what homeboy's most bothered by is the fact that I continue to point out that he isn't correct in his claims because of any thoughtful insight or analyses; he is correct because he is lucky.

[quote name='mykevermin']like "son of a bitch." ;)

Propellor is a load of hot air who gets awfully defensive about being right, IMO. It's circumstantially right, of course, but right nonetheless. Instead of admitting that he was making claims about widespread sales based on a few photographs, he wants to argue the stickiness of logical fallacies (on a point of which he's quite wrong, by the way).

What he's done is built his case, *then* found the supporting evidence for it. One point on which he was correct is that I did dismiss photos of PS3s in stock - I did not, and I do not, put any weight in a photograph. He's the one who was completely ignoring sales data in favor of a photograph or two; he's the one who dances with delight in Sony's consoles not selling as well as expected; and he's the one who seems to trash Sony at every opportunity. In the end, somehow I've become the fanboy. As I've said before, if he wants to think that way, fine.

He's the classic case of the old adage, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit." Longwinded posts that refuse to acknowledge that I have no interest, emotionally or financially, in how well company X or Y does; longwinded posts that ignore that his conclusion came before the supporting evidence; longwinded posts that do more to call me names and lambast the way I write (motherfucker should hear me *talk*); and longwinded posts that attempt to do little more than discredit me, when I'm not really anybody worth discrediting.

You know what, I am a fanboy. I'm a fanboy for *evidence*. I'm a fanboy for *data*. I'm a fanboy for *numbers*. I've said as much time and time again. When people make arguments based off of what they saw as an individual (OMG I totally saw 15 Wiis in a Target today Nintendo FTL!), and fail to pay attention to how sales trends run contrary to those claims, my evidence-based fanboy sensibilities get offended.

In the end, what homeboy's most bothered by is the fact that I continue to point out that he isn't correct in his claims because of any thoughtful insight or analyses; he is correct because he is lucky.[/quote] - no your logical fallacy analogy was wrong. i explained why.

- again it was not A photo, it was MANY recent photos from MANY stores on a few different sites. it was right in the link. again, you would have known that if you had actually read beyond the title intead of looking for ways to beat around the bush.

- and those numbers that you provied, AGAIN as i have said more than a few times; are meaningless. those are (from japan) fanboy sales from last year. the same sales i keep trying to point out to you have died off making as the title says "no one interested" and not "Rare"

- youre still avoiding the issue and trying to attack me, just like a fanboy

- your posts are the 1s that are longwinded. all my posts have been just the facts. youre the 1 trying to overanalyze, make excuses.

- keep on piling your pseudo-highbrow B.S. cause thats all 99% of your posts ever are. i could care less if sony sold 500k or 500 mil. but boy do i like shining the spotlight on fanboys. and your pompous attitude only fuels the fire :hot::booty::p\\:D/:beer:

[quote name='sparklecopy']but how do they pay for it? and what's it called on thetax ledger? Retail space bribes?[/QUOTE]

How about advertising? You think simply becuase it exists inside the walls of a store it's not advertising?

[quote name='propeller_head']- no your logical fallacy analogy was wrong. i explained why.[/quote]
Because of claims of causation? Now that's a "red herring," pal. Would you prefer I accuse you of a post-hoc explanation instead? No matter what fallacy you choose to apply, you weren't, as you say, making predictions. You were declaring the state of the market based on photographs from Kotaku. You weren't predicting anything, you were declaring that the PS3 wasn't selling. Now you *finally* have numbers to show that is the case, along with an entire chain in the US claiming that their stores have PS3s, to back you up. That doesn't mean you were right *last week,* however, because you still lacked decisive evidence then. You can argue all you want; you're only circumstantially fortunate that the market went in the direction you claimed it already had.

- again it was not A photo, it was MANY recent photos from MANY stores on a few different sites. it was right in the link. again, you would have known that if you had actually read beyond the title intead of looking for ways to beat around the bush.

- and those numbers that you provied, AGAIN as i have said more than a few times; are meaningless. those are (from japan) fanboy sales from last year. the same sales i keep trying to point out to you have died off making as the title says "no one interested" and not "Rare"
You say last year like it was ages ago, instead of 9 days. Both of these systems have been on store shelves for 8 weeks or less, and you're trying to bandy about phrases like "last year" as if it were the fucking stone age. Nice sleight of hand, but not one I'm going to fall for.

- youre still avoiding the issue and trying to attack me, just like a fanboy

- your posts are the 1s that are longwinded. all my posts have been just the facts. youre the 1 trying to overanalyze, make excuses.

- keep on piling your pseudo-highbrow B.S. cause thats all 99% of your posts ever are. i could care less if sony sold 500k or 500 mil. but boy do i like shining the spotlight on fanboys. and your pompous attitude only fuels the fire :hot::booty::p\\:D/:beer:
If you insist. You seem to be the only person on this site who thinks I'm a fanboy for Sony. Personally, I just happen to think that I'm the person who calls you on your bullshit (that your posts are self-triumphant nonsense based on, again, being circumstantially correct. You continue to blindly disregard sales number of *hundreds of thousands of consoles* in favor of a handful of photographs that show, at best, several dozen consoles sitting on store shelves/floors. As long as you show disrespect to valid sales information and trends in favor of anecdotal evidence, I'll be around to call your bullshit, sweetheart.

[quote name='mykevermin']Because of claims of causation? Now that's a "red herring," pal. Would you prefer I accuse you of a post-hoc explanation instead? No matter what fallacy you choose to apply, you weren't, as you say, making predictions. You were declaring the state of the market based on photographs from Kotaku. You weren't predicting anything, you were declaring that the PS3 wasn't selling. Now you *finally* have numbers to show that is the case, along with an entire chain in the US claiming that their stores have PS3s, to back you up. That doesn't mean you were right *last week,* however, because you still lacked decisive evidence then. You can argue all you want; you're only circumstantially fortunate that the market went in the direction you claimed it already had.

You say last year like it was ages ago, instead of 9 days. Both of these systems have been on store shelves for 8 weeks or less, and you're trying to bandy about phrases like "last year" as if it were the fucking stone age. Nice sleight of hand, but not one I'm going to fall for.

If you insist. You seem to be the only person on this site who thinks I'm a fanboy for Sony. Personally, I just happen to think that I'm the person who calls you on your bullshit (that your posts are self-triumphant nonsense based on, again, being circumstantially correct. You continue to blindly disregard sales number of *hundreds of thousands of consoles* in favor of a handful of photographs that show, at best, several dozen consoles sitting on store shelves/floors. As long as you show disrespect to valid sales information and trends in favor of anecdotal evidence, I'll be around to call your bullshit, sweetheart.[/quote]
- i was not "circumstantially fortunate" i used whats called DEDUCTIVE REASONING

- again it was not kotaku that had the photoS kotaku just reported on them and linked to the other japanese sites that had reported on it

- the whole point of that was because you SAID the only reason wii was outselling it was because sony was having difficulty making enough PS3s. eluding to the fact that it wasnt demand, rather supply that was the problem.

- last year IS ages ago when it comes to console launches. do you see fanboys lined up days in advance outside TRU's now? NO. do you see them on eBay for $2k? NO.

- you have yet to demonstrate any reasonable assesment of the situation thus far; therefore i have branded you a fanboy. all you do is persist in trying to obfuscate what every1 else on this thread knows. the PS3 isnt hard to find because the demands gone down. no1s rushing out to buy them. ebay sales are on average the same as MSRP. & sony has it's PR Spin machine on full throttle. but you keep on insisting im pulling this reality out of my ass & just a got lucky if you want.

Last week my target had some from friday to monday. I was surprised, since little before christmas, noone asks about ps3s anymore, and about 30 a day still for wii. (Damn people are so annoying) And when people were asking (always seemed like older people) they always mention the prices on ebay.
9/29 retailers have near me have it (itrackr) mainly eb and gamestop, 75% national availablity.

I think we need to get over this whole idea that if the PS3 is available in stores it must be a failure. True, it's not selling nearly as well as the Wii (I think price and the newness of the controller mostly account for that). But we won't know just how it sold in the month of December until January 11th when NPD releases its retail sales data. Most of this speculation seems to be based on the fact that at this time in the Xbox 360's lifespan, it still wasn't readily available. But remember that despite its rocky start, Sony now appears to be shipping the PS3 in much greater numbers than MS was able to last year. This, combined with the higher price and the mediocre launch lineup probably mean that they're not going to sell out as quickly as the Xbox 360 did. But unless the sales numbers from NPD indicate huge numbers lying unsold on store shelves, I don't think that Sony has much to worry about in the long term.

[quote name='derder']My target has had the same ones for over a week[/quote]

how can you be so sure do they stick a note that says 1 week :D lol just messin

[quote name='icruise']I think we need to get over this whole idea that if the PS3 is available in stores it must be a failure. True, it's not selling nearly as well as the Wii (I think price and the newness of the controller mostly account for that). But we won't know just how it sold in the month of December until January 11th when NPD releases its retail sales data. Most of this speculation seems to be based on the fact that at this time in the Xbox 360's lifespan, it still wasn't readily available. But remember that despite its rocky start, Sony now appears to be shipping the PS3 in much greater numbers than MS was able to last year. This, combined with the higher price and the mediocre launch lineup probably mean that they're not going to sell out as quickly as the Xbox 360 did. But unless the sales numbers from NPD indicate huge numbers lying unsold on store shelves, I don't think that Sony has much to worry about in the long term.[/QUOTE]
but they don't take into the account how many were bought to sell on ebay just to be returned after scalpers found out they couldn't unload them. hell, I wanted to buy one to sell too, but couldn't find one. If I did and couldn't sell it, I'd return that thing as fast as I could. Those ps3's in the stores are pretty much a combination of high supply and returns from miffed off ebayers.

[quote name='sparklecopy']but how do they pay for it? and what's it called on thetax ledger? Retail space bribes?[/QUOTE]

They have a contract with the company. All that candy by the cash register isn't there just because it's easy to grab a coke and a candy bar. Those comapnies pay Wal-mart for the product to be stocked at the register.

[quote name='icruise']I think we need to get over this whole idea that if the PS3 is available in stores it must be a failure. True, it's not selling nearly as well as the Wii (I think price and the newness of the controller mostly account for that). But we won't know just how it sold in the month of December until January 11th when NPD releases its retail sales data. Most of this speculation seems to be based on the fact that at this time in the Xbox 360's lifespan, it still wasn't readily available. But remember that despite its rocky start, Sony now appears to be shipping the PS3 in much greater numbers than MS was able to last year. This, combined with the higher price and the mediocre launch lineup probably mean that they're not going to sell out as quickly as the Xbox 360 did. But unless the sales numbers from NPD indicate huge numbers lying unsold on store shelves, I don't think that Sony has much to worry about in the long term.[/QUOTE]

Someone came out with a report last week saying that the PS3 and 360 make up 80% of the USA's HD players. They said that only 400,000 PS3s were sold, which seems about right to me. Sony is really fucked unless they drop the price. the PS2 proved you don't need any good games at launch people will buy it if it's cheap.

[quote name='David85']Someone came out with a report last week saying that the PS3 and 360 make up 80% of the USA's HD players. They said that only 400,000 PS3s were sold, which seems about right to me. Sony is really fucked unless they drop the price. the PS2 proved you don't need any good games at launch people will buy it if it's cheap.[/QUOTE]

So, how many HD-DVD players did MS sell? Because in order to have 80% of the market I expect a lot of HD-DVD drives sold. I know Sony is using the PS3 as a trojan horse but they would have been much wiser to have the Blu-Ray drive as a $200 add on and sell their system for $299 and $399 just like MS. I think people would have jumped on the PS3 since they have larger hard drives for the same price.

[quote name='Indiana']So, how many HD-DVD players did MS sell? Because in order to have 80% of the market I expect a lot of HD-DVD drives sold. I know Sony is using the PS3 as a trojan horse but they would have been much wiser to have the Blu-Ray drive as a $200 add on and sell their system for $299 and $399 just like MS. I think people would have jumped on the PS3 since they have larger hard drives for the same price.[/QUOTE]

I have read numbers from as low as 40,000 to over 100,000. I'm not sure what to believe, because Microsoft will admit that they've really not penetrated the 360-owning market with their players.

Hmm...let's play with a nice round number and say there are 10 million 360s sold (rough estimate, I know) - 100,000 would be 1% of the market, while 40,000 would be 0.4%.

Crap. Truth be told, neither of those numbers converted into a % of 360 owners brings us any closer to the reality of how many have been sold.

The NPD numbers for December finally came out. The PS3 sold a little under 500,000 units in December in the US, bringing it to an installed base of just under 700,000. Since NPD does not include all retailers (especially Walmart) and only covers the US (while Sony's figure of 1 million shipped covered all of North America), I'd say Sony isn't doing too badly. Anyone know how many units Canada has gotten?

As for handhelds, the DS did very well (no surprise) selling 1.6 million units. But the PSP also sold 953,000, which is pretty darn good for a system that has "failed."

bread's done
Back