It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ryosnk']Anyone know of a place that sells arcade machines in Chicago?

Thanks.[/quote]

You looking for people with personal experience buying cabinets and whatnot? Can't help there, but I'm certain there are internet communities geared towards such items.

Just an update on Virgin Megastore. The prices are still set at 25% off and they might not go any lower since only this store is closing. They'll probably send any excess to another store. Last day is July 14th.

[quote name='phreak5k']Just an update on Virgin Megastore. The prices are still set at 25% off and they might not go any lower since only this store is closing. They'll probably send any excess to another store. Last day is July 14th.[/quote]

Thanks. I should be going down there on Saturday, so I'll try and get another update this weekend.

Anyone get the email from DeepDiscount.com? They've opened up a retail store in Naperville, IL and hopefully they'll have the same nice prices as they do online. If you got the email, it includes a 20% off coupon (that's not good on video games, sadly) that expires the 30th of June. Think I may have to check it out soon.

[quote name='chicagoz']Anyone get the email from DeepDiscount.com? They've opened up a retail store in Naperville, IL and hopefully they'll have the same nice prices as they do online. If you got the email, it includes a 20% off coupon (that's not good on video games, sadly) that expires the 30th of June. Think I may have to check it out soon.[/QUOTE]

I was just going to post that. Here is some info:

[quote name='chicagoz']Anyone get the email from DeepDiscount.com? They've opened up a retail store in Naperville, IL and hopefully they'll have the same nice prices as they do online. If you got the email, it includes a 20% off coupon (that's not good on video games, sadly) that expires the 30th of June. Think I may have to check it out soon.[/quote]

I received it, as well.

Does anyone know of any good stores for used cds and dvds? The Music Recyclery stores near me have closed.

[quote name='shieryda']I received it, as well.

Does anyone know of any good stores for used cds and dvds? The Music Recyclery stores near me have closed.[/QUOTE]

I used to go to Disc Replay. There's one a little further down the HIP and there's another in Village Crossing in Skokie. Prices are so-so. Sometimes you can find some good deals though.

[quote name='shieryda']I received it, as well.

Does anyone know of any good stores for used cds and dvds? The Music Recyclery stores near me have closed.[/quote]

Also, you can go to Reckless Records. I haven't been there in years, and I think their locations have been jumping around over those years. I guess you can google for the ones in Chicago. I've found alot of hard to find CDs there when I used to go.

Today at Virgin all merchandise was marked down to 35% off with a couple of exceptions being 50% off. These prices will not go any lower, they're just going to ship any excess to the remaining stores.

[quote name='phreak5k']Today at Virgin all merchandise was marked down to 35% off with a couple of exceptions being 50% off. These prices will not go any lower, they're just going to ship any excess to the remaining stores.[/QUOTE]

Nice! Thanks for the update.:D

[quote name='chicagoz']Also, you can go to Reckless Records. I haven't been there in years, and I think their locations have been jumping around over those years. I guess you can google for the ones in Chicago. I've found alot of hard to find CDs there when I used to go.[/quote]

I'll second Reckless and also Dr. Wax (on the north side) as good record shops. The former has locations in Wicker Park and on Broadway in Lincoln Park/Gold Coast-ish and the latter in downtown Evanston and also on Broadway but further north in Lakeview/Rogers Park/Uptown.

Also, I can confirm the GameCrazy +50% promotion going on here, at least for the one on Clark in Rogers Park and whichever store the clerk called, but they didn't know about it immediately; she went through a stack of printouts from corporate and found a coupon code she had to enter manually. 4 trade-ins before boost ~$54 credit, after, $85 credit.

Reckless is a great place, love it.

If any of you cheapasses were hitting up CC and Gamestop in Niles, like an Asian guy asking for Armored Core and such, thanks for taking all the 360 games!! LOL. I didn't realize those were on clearance until now. I knew a guy asking for Armored Core was a little suspicious. ;)

[quote name='Blackout542']Reckless is a great place, love it.

If any of you cheapasses were hitting up CC and Gamestop in Niles, like an Asian guy asking for Armored Core and such, thanks for taking all the 360 games!! LOL. I didn't realize those were on clearance until now. I knew a guy asking for Armored Core was a little suspicious. ;)[/quote]

Armored Core for 360 is clearanced? I'm going to head out to try and find a copy of the clearanced Virtua Tennis 3 Monday morning. Anyone seen them around?

And, has anyone been to the deepdiscount store? How is it?

[quote name='chicagoz']Armored Core for 360 is clearanced? I'm going to head out to try and find a copy of the clearanced Virtua Tennis 3 Monday morning. Anyone seen them around?

And, has anyone been to the deepdiscount store? How is it?[/quote]

No the A.C. for PSP is on clearance for ten bucks at GS, that's where I saw the guy asking for it.

[quote name='ryosnk']Did anyone notice these games at their local circuit city?

Virtua Tennis 3
DOAX2[/quote]

I've been to the CC in Niles (Touhy Av.) and Chicago (Elston Av) and haven't seen either of these games. And those 2 are the ones I want :(

[quote name='chicagoz']I've been to the CC in Niles (Touhy Av.) and Chicago (Elston Av) and haven't seen either of these games. And those 2 are the ones I want :([/quote]

CC in Berwyn has nothing.

[quote name='chicagoz']I've been to the CC in Niles (Touhy Av.) and Chicago (Elston Av) and haven't seen either of these games. And those 2 are the ones I want :([/QUOTE]

Nothing at the North Ave store either - being looking for these two as well.

Anyone been to Calumet City yet? That's usually a good one to find clearance games since they rarely update price tags and it's not in a great neighborhood either. Normally, I'd risk a drive out there after work but I don't want to deal with Dan Ryan construction traffic.

[quote name='Blackout542']DAMMIT! Power was gone 9 HOURS!!! It just came back on...:hot:[/quote]

You live by Lane Tech? I was driving around there yesterday and stopped at Chase bank to get some cash out of the atm but the power was gone in the area so the bank was closed.

[quote name='chicagoz']You live by Lane Tech? I was driving around there yesterday and stopped at Chase bank to get some cash out of the atm but the power was gone in the area so the bank was closed.[/quote]

No, I live by Portage Park. Power went out at 3pm. I went over to my friends house on Menard and Mason and his power was gone too. It didn't come back on until midnight. Worst blackout I ever went through.

[quote name='Johnny Postman']Nothing at the North Ave store either - being looking for these two as well.

Anyone been to Calumet City yet? That's usually a good one to find clearance games since they rarely update price tags and it's not in a great neighborhood either. Normally, I'd risk a drive out there after work but I don't want to deal with Dan Ryan construction traffic.[/quote]

Nothing was there, i thought the same thing yesterday.

Would anyone an extra copy of these games for sale?

Virtua Tennis 3
DOAX2

ALso, the harwood heights gamestop has a Halo zune in stock if anyone is interested.

[quote name='shieryda']I'm looking for a Guitar Hero bundle from K-Mart. Has anyone seen one recently?[/quote]

Anyone seen a K-Mart recently, period?

I've been meaning to go to the one on Addison, but I don't get out that way often. I think there's still one out by O'Hare-ish but that's even further outta my way.

[quote name='Blackout542']Does anyone know where I could find a Shadow Hearts 1 guide?[/QUOTE]

They never made a guide for Shadow Hearts in the USA. There's a Japanese guide if you can read that or there was a mini-guide that came out in the UK - Not sure if it was a pre-order thing or came included with the game but it's small (instruction book sized) and doesn't cover the whole game. It's also very rare so only place to find it now is Ebay.

Unfortunately, the best bet is something like gamefaqs for any real kind of help.

[quote name='dfg']Anyone seen a K-Mart recently, period?

I've been meaning to go to the one on Addison, but I don't get out that way often. I think there's still one out by O'Hare-ish but that's even further outta my way.[/QUOTE]

K-marts in the city or close burbs that I can think of off-hand

Addison just east of the Kennedy

Elston just east of Cicero/Edens Expy (and just south of Foster)

Harlem and Irving Park

73rd & Pulaski (just north of Ford City East/Daley College)

95th & Kedzie? (somewhere between Western & Cicero but it's been awhile so I'm not sure.)

There's also another way south on Harlem (83rd St or thereabouts)

Sure there's more but that's all I can think of right now.

Anyone know where I can get a Nintendo Wii on the Northside of Chicago? Or anywhere in the Chicagoland area?

I need to find a Gamestop that has one available as I have store credit and I would like to use this to buy one.

[quote name='fLipEN`']Anyone know of any Toys R Us having the clearanced psp games?

The one by lane tech only has DS games on sale. :bomb:[/quote]

So the one by Lane has absolutely no PSP games? None on the floor or behind the glass?

Thanks for the info on the SH1 guide, guess I'll have to go with gamefaqs.

[quote name='ronni3']Anyone know where I can get a Nintendo Wii on the Northside of Chicago? Or anywhere in the Chicagoland area?

I need to find a Gamestop that has one available as I have store credit and I would like to use this to buy one.[/quote]

I'm looking for a Wii :wii: also. I just stopped by my local Gamestop and talked to the manager there. He said most likely Monday or Tuesday they should get some in.:bouncy: If he calls me I'll let you know.

I went see the fireworks in Evanston last night with my wife and daughter and I passed by the GS there (downtown one). They had them in the display window with the price advertised ($249?). I hadn't realized they were in short supply in our town.

Also, I hit up the CC in Village Crossing on Tuesday looking for that $5 mp3 player but the clerk told me they sold out fast.

looking for a Wii also in the northwest suburb...i tried itrackr but that thing is slow....anyone use any other website? need it soon...nephew's bday coming up next weekend

SCORE! :bouncy: I stopped by the Gamestop in Rolling Meadows they had some in stock. Picked one up. I forgot to ask how many they had left. Now if only i didn't have to work until 7pm.

Costco on Damen, Diversey, and Clybourn in Chicago got in a pallete (24 sell units) of Wii bundles last night and they will be for sale as soon as the doors open this morning, It's the system, an extra Wiimote, and the newest Mario Party for $329.99.

I predict it will sell out by Sunday afternoon.

Walmart on Touhy Ave. has 3 left of Dance Dance Revolutuion for Xbox 360 clearanced for $63. I was going to pick one up but I wasn't sure if it was worth it.

[quote name='chicagoz']Walmart on Touhy Ave. has 3 left of Dance Dance Revolution for Xbox 360 clearanced for $63. I was going to pick one up but I wasn't sure if it was worth it.[/quote]

Clearanced for $63? That sounds more like a deal of the week instead of clearance. Maybe someone should refer the management to a dictionary to explain the meaning of the word.

Here's my annual Chicago thread semi-jack.

I'll be in town the first week of August, and I'd really like to hit up a Cubs game. According to the website, there aren't two consecutive seats available for the August 2 afternoon game. I'd settle for attending the August 1 game, but I'd rather go during the day.
Perhaps a local would be kind enough to point me in a better direction (or be very kind, and pick up a pair somewhere for me)? If so, please shoot me a PM. Many thanks.

[quote name='phreak5k']Clearanced for $63? That sounds more like a deal of the week instead of clearance. Maybe someone should refer the management to a dictionary to explain the meaning of the word.[/quote]

all the gamecrazy's i go to have ddr for $60 regular price

[quote name='defiance_17']Here's my annual Chicago thread semi-jack.

I'll be in town the first week of August, and I'd really like to hit up a Cubs game. According to the website, there aren't two consecutive seats available for the August 2 afternoon game. I'd settle for attending the August 1 game, but I'd rather go during the day.
Perhaps a local would be kind enough to point me in a better direction (or be very kind, and pick up a pair somewhere for me)? If so, please shoot me a PM. Many thanks.[/QUOTE]

Off topic, but you could try www.stubhub.com

You could also show up around the stadium about an hour before the game and scalp. there's always tickets.

Perhaps a local would be kind enough to point me in a better direction (or be very kind, and pick up a pair somewhere for me)? If so, please shoot me a PM. Many thanks.[/QUOTE]

If you're looking for the best deal, then scalping is the way to go for a mid-week game. With the Cubs tanking as usual, you'll be able to pay face value for 2 seats together (or less if you bargain well/wait 'til starting time.) Also working in your favor here is the opponent in both games is the Phillies - not a team that's a big rival or much of a draw.

Plenty of ticket brokers if you wanted to avoid something last minute like scalping - they will add a surcharge though.

Just to let you all know, the Costco at Damen, Diversey, and Clybourn has Wii bundles in again.

Perhaps a local would be kind enough to point me in a better direction (or be very kind, and pick up a pair somewhere for me)? If so, please shoot me a PM. Many thanks.[/quote]

If you're going to try buying tickets around the ball park, first try going to the Wrigley Field box office and checking if there really are no tix available together. A friend of mine did that and scored 2 tickets even though cubs.com/mlb.com says only single seat tix are available. Of course this is YMMV...

bread's done
Back