It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a free screening next week, May 7th at midnight (doors @ 11:30pm on Saturday), for the upcoming horror movie "Mothers Day" by Darren Bousman (saw 2, repo, and more). It's at the music box theater in Chicago. The only catch is it's only free to the first 500 people there, and you need to RSVP here before attending:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHptN1k3Uno0Z2tDOXQ2WElKWUVfLWc6MQ

more information can be found here:
http://www.musicboxtheatre.com/features/mothers-day

[quote name='Xellos2099']It really surprise me that Chicago, the third biggest city in the nation, have have 2 real boardband internet service provider.[/QUOTE]

and in the burbs we only have comcast. :bomb:

[quote name='slowdive21']and in the burbs we only have comcast. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

AT&T has Uverse out here (Mt. Prospect) now but I havent compared speeds. Comcast is really starting to drive me nuts with the little stuff, and the price.

:cry:

[quote name='bigsick']There is a free screening next week, May 7th at midnight (doors @ 11:30pm on Saturday), for the upcoming horror movie "Mothers Day" by Darren Bousman (saw 2, repo, and more). It's at the music box theater in Chicago. The only catch is it's only free to the first 500 people there, and you need to RSVP here before attending:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHptN1k3Uno0Z2tDOXQ2WElKWUVfLWc6MQ

more information can be found here:
http://www.musicboxtheatre.com/features/mothers-day[/QUOTE]

This movie is out on the interwebz: Mothers Day 2010 DVDRiP AC3 5 1 XviD

You can watch from the comfort of your own home.

[quote name='CAG 79']This movie is out on the interwebz: Mothers Day 2010 DVDRiP AC3 5 1 XviD

You can watch from the comfort of your own home.[/QUOTE]

i'd rather not do that, but thanks, Plus the director is doing a signing there. I have to get him to sign my repo genetic opera bluray.

[quote name='dfg']AT&T has Uverse out here (Mt. Prospect) now but I havent compared speeds. Comcast is really starting to drive me nuts with the little stuff, and the price.

:cry:[/QUOTE]

I got uverse, it is about 2/3 as fast as Comcast. I can deal with that over the next 6 months when I get every channel available for less than I was paying for digital classic + HBO with Comcast. I'm sure Comcast will come back with some of those new customer offers in the near future as well.

CBS2 at 10 tonight is supposed to do some story on video game addiction. Can't wait to see how ridiculously stupid it is.

[quote name='Blackout']CBS2 at 10 tonight is supposed to do some story on video game addiction. Can't wait to see how ridiculously stupid it is.[/QUOTE]

I went to the post office earlier today to ship a trade out and heard the commercial for that on the radio. Couldn't help but just smile and shake my head.

[quote name='Blackout']CBS2 at 10 tonight is supposed to do some story on video game addiction. Can't wait to see how ridiculously stupid it is.[/QUOTE]

It will probably just focus on WoW players and spin it towards all video games. I've gotta see this.

Hey Go Bulls!

Need some beer advise guys. First of let me just say that I have very little insight when it comes to beer and it's getting embarrassing. When I'm out with a date at a bar a conversation on beer seems to always happen but it leaves me with very little to say. Not only that but I'm also unsure as to what to get besides the common Hieneken, Corona, Bud/Miller Lights etc. So Chicago CAGs, what's some 101 on Beer? What non-mainstream beers can I order? The only one that has been embedded in me is the BlueMoon. Any other suggestions?

From another beer drinker/semi-regular bar hopper, many people are very loyal to what they drink. I've got friends who ONLY drink Budweiser and scoff at Miller products, and vice versa. It's a personal preference thing. If you've got a brand/flavor you like, just drink it, and there shouldn't be any explaining you need to do. Me personally, I like to branch out. I think it depends where I go, and what/if I'm eating. Certain beer compliments food in different ways. Location is a big factor as well. I go to alot of places that brew their own house beer, and it's always fun to try that out. Living in Wrigleyville, there's a lot of Goose Island, 312, and Old Style(blah!) consumption. So for me it comes down to location mostly, not to mention what's on "special"(I'm cheap, that's why I'm here!). Also, learn to discern the different families of beer, like pilsners, pale ales, porters, reds, etc, since most that fall into each catergory taste pretty similar. I don't care for the bitter-ish stuff. The pilsners are like practically every U.S. beer. Once you are accustomed to a certain family, you can feel comfortable ordering any beer within it and know you won't hate it, even if it's not quite as good as another one. Fellow beer drinkers, what are your takes?

And while we're at it, keeping with the Chi-town theme, what are some of your hot spots? Where do you guys go that have awesome atmosphere, specials, or whatever that keep you coming back? Could be some kind of meet-up at hand here. I'll share a few of mine later, I've gotta run out for a few.

I was exposed to better beer several years ago through different friends, some of whom were homebrewers. I was determined to learn more about beer, to be able to talk about it, but ultimately didn't get that far.

What did come out of it though, was that I totally lost my taste for the mainstream mass-produced pisswater. All those brands you mentioned above, except the Blue Moon, are pilseners, and there are many more types of beer than that.

If you want to be able to talk beer, maybe check out beeradvocate.com. Just be aware that beer snobs sometimes throw around the same kind of ridiculous vocabulary that wine snobs do. I know there are some people who can distinguish all those subtle flavors that well, but most people can't and still try to talk like they can.

If you want to learn to appreciate it and broaden your horizons, my advice is to find a Binny's, or another non-corner liquor store, and browse the "craft beer" section and look at the store's tags and recommendations.

Shit, these days you can find stuff like Sierra Nevada and Fat Tire at Walgreens. And there's always Goose Island's stuff which has been great for years, but now that they've been bought up by Anheuser-Busch, who knows what the future stuff will taste like.

[quote name='D_Icon']Hey Go Bulls!

Need some beer advise guys. First of let me just say that I have very little insight when it comes to beer and it's getting embarrassing. When I'm out with a date at a bar a conversation on beer seems to always happen but it leaves me with very little to say. Not only that but I'm also unsure as to what to get besides the common Hieneken, Corona, Bud/Miller Lights etc. So Chicago CAG, what's some 101 on Beer? What non-streamline beers can I order? The only one that has been embedded in me is the BlueMoon. Any other suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Most of those are Pils or Pilsner beers. They are the most "water downed " tasting beers. Try something like honey brown and see if you like it. It has a little sweetness to it and it is not as harsh as dark beer. I personally prefer lagers like Stella Artois or Harp.

[quote name='mrosnwo']
And while we're at it, keeping with the Chi-town theme, what are some of your hot spots? Where do you guys go that have awesome atmosphere, specials, or whatever that keep you coming back? Could be some kind of meet-up at hand here. I'll share a few of mine later, I've gotta run out for a few.[/QUOTE]

If you want to try a large variety of Beer, I would recommend The Hop Leaf. It is about 5000 N Clark in my old neighborhood. I usually get Delirium when I am there.

Not sure how many bars serve Two Brothers based out of Dupage County, but they have the best brews I've ever had. The have sold a variety pack at Costco for about a year (one for summer and one for winter). All eight different types I've tried are amazing.

Outside the Chicago area I really enjoy Dogfish Head as well.

If you go with either of these be aware that these are full flavored beers and are meant to be savored. The price of these beers will reflect that. Check out Beer Wars on Netflix as well.

Being a big sports fan, I love hanging with the guys at a good sports bar. For that reason, that's when you go to the cheap domestics. If you're looking to drink fast and have a good time, $1 bottles on Thursdays at Casey Morans is my spot. Like we've all said, domestics are watered down, but when you want to have a good time and drink a LOT for hours and hours watching sports, that's the way to go without going broke. Just expect to get up to piss all the time. Let's face it, if you're a sports fan and a drinker, there's no way you can hang with your friends and savor a $8 specialty while they're popping a new one every inning of a baseball game. Five Star used to always be my spot for .10 wings and $2 Tecate's, but they've since raised it up to .25 and 2.50 respectively, and it's always PACKED in there, so we've since moved on to Mahoney's. .25 wings on Wednesday's, 22 flat screens and a 160" projector. Free Jameson shots every time I'm in there too, we know the guys well. When I'm in the burbs, and when I don't want the usual domestics, I like Rock Bottom in Winfield right outside Naperville. They make their own shit there, and I always get glasses for being in the mug club. At home, I experiment a whole lot more. Right now I think I've got some Magic Hat and Dos Equis in the fridge. Magic Hat I hadn't tried before, but it didn't really blow me away. If I walk to the corner tavern for a quick one or two, it's usually whatever Goose Island seasonal is on tap.

Oh yeah, and has anyone every been to Kuma's? Very small place, but the best damn burgers I've ever had. Loud metal music playing all the time, and all their food is named after bands. They always have a bunch of different rarer beer on hand, all different, always changing. Amazing place.

Pilsners, pale ales, porters, reds, lagers etc,

That's what I hear a lot, "what's your favorite, what do you prefer(Pilsner, pale ales, porters, reds, lagers etc)" and I'm just sitting there wtfudge are you talking about.

I'm definitely gonna have to try out some of the stuff you guys listed. Thanks for the tips.
Goose Island, 312, Sierra Nevada, Fat Tire, Stella Artois, Harp, & Two Brothers

And I did mean mainstream no idea why I typed streamline.

Bulls are done. They ain't winning 3 games in a row.

So when is the next meet up guys? Let's try to set something up!

[quote name='Blackout']Bulls are done. They ain't winning 3 games in a row.

So when is the next meet up guys? Let's try to set something up![/QUOTE]

id be willing to meet up either on a saturday or a sunday. whenever you guys are available.

Saw the sweet blockbuster bluray sale thread this weekend and went to go check it out. Somehow I totally missed the blockbuster on western by toys r us closing down. When did this happen? More importantly(or unimportantly since I haven't been in one for years), is there even a blockbuster still open on the near-north side? Every one I've been in is gone.

[quote name='mrosnwo']Saw the sweet blockbuster bluray sale thread this weekend and went to go check it out. Somehow I totally missed the blockbuster on western by toys r us closing down. When did this happen? More importantly(or unimportantly since I haven't been in one for years), is there even a blockbuster still open on the near-north side? Every one I've been in is gone.[/QUOTE]

I believe the one on Western north of Touhy should still be open -- at least the last few times I've driven past. That location seems surprisingly resilient.

Hello Chicago CAG's, I have been having this one idea in my head for abit but since my friends are mostly casual gamers and busy they don't fit what I need. The idea is a video game program that will mostly be shown on a dedicated site or in YouTube. I will give more info once we talk. If you can help me produce and dedicate time in making the idea work and flourish I would like to hear from you. I have meet a few of you and I feel alot of you are individuals who can help me in this idea and are fun people to hang around. Please pm me if interested. Also I would I like to work with people within the city.

[quote name='dpac']I believe the one on Western north of Touhy should still be open -- at least the last few times I've driven past. That location seems surprisingly resilient.[/QUOTE]

You mean the one by Lane Tech? Yes, it closed down because from what i heard from manager, there is some problem with the lease for the store.

[quote name='ryosnk']I'll be interested on doing this meet up.

Also, any getting in on the nickel city groupon offered today?[/QUOTE]

Galloping Ghost ruined Nickel city for me. That place sucks now. It doesn't help that last time I went, half the games were broken, and they didn't bother putting out of order signs on them either. I had to go to the counter 5-6 times to get my nickels refunded because I wasted them on games that didn't work. The guy at the counter was seriously pissed at me for doing that too, as if I was trying to scam HIM by playing his non-functioning games. I guess it's only fun for the ticketed carnival games, which don't do much for me. That's just my last experience, I did used to like the place about 5 years back.

Hmmm, the groupon is for 100 nickels, two slices of pizza and two drinks for $10 but since I thought CG was a cool place now not sure if I would be disappointed with nickel city.

[quote name='mrosnwo']Saw the sweet blockbuster bluray sale thread this weekend and went to go check it out. Somehow I totally missed the blockbuster on western by toys r us closing down. When did this happen? More importantly(or unimportantly since I haven't been in one for years), is there even a blockbuster still open on the near-north side? Every one I've been in is gone.[/QUOTE]

The one by me (Irving Park and Cicero) is still open, and I believe the one on Irving/Kimball(?) is still there.

[quote name='bigsick']in addition to ribfest, theres a new fest called 6 corners bbq fest. its supposed to feature some of the best bbq food around. Its taking place June 18th and 19th. Free admission but they are asking for a 5 dollar donation. More info here http://banguptvstudios.com/bbqfest/[/QUOTE]

Any of you guys interested in meeting up there?

[quote name='Blackout']Any of you guys interested in meeting up there?[/QUOTE]

I'm planning on going to ribfest at 6corners but I will be having the family with me.

Decided to skip ribfest this weekend, but maybe I'll head up to the bbq thing next week at 6 corners. I hate busing it anywhere, how far away do you think I'd have to park? I know, I know, I'm sure it's far away.

Also, just finished a pretty lengthy Mortal Kombat session on PSN. The new patch I installed today made the online run pretty flawless. I was shocked that the 3 of us playing king of the hill matches saw next to no slow down the entire night. Bravo Netherrealm! If any of you are still interesting in a little CAG MK KOTH, hit me up. I added ryosnk already, feel free to add me too. If anyone sees me online playing it at this point, I'm probably on with a friend or two of mine, so feel free to join us or message me to invite you. We play very friendly, none of us are pros. I'd classify us as "experienced". Plenty of experimenting going on in our games, and we don't just stick to using our mains the whole night, often times switching to someone different every single fight. So, no reason to feel intimidated in any way.

I just learned that one of my cousin's wives is on the Windy City Rollers. Been meaning to check them out for years; might have an excuse now.

[quote name='dfg']I just learned that one of my cousin's wives is on the Windy City Rollers. Been meaning to check them out for years; might have an excuse now.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, I know some members of the team personally. My sister is the founder of the Dupage Derby Dames. I've actually seen the WCR's twice, being pressured into going by my sister, at the Pavilion. It's not as entertaining to me as the old school pro-wrestling-like derby that was on when I was little, but it's ok.

[quote name='mrosnwo']Oh man, I know some members of the team personally. My sister is the founder of the Dupage Derby Dames. I've actually seen the WCR's twice, being pressured into going by my sister, at the Pavilion. It's not as entertaining to me as the old school pro-wrestling-like derby that was on when I was little, but it's ok.[/QUOTE]

Cool! I never had any connection or even impression of old-school derby, but when this revival started I thought it sounded awesome.

[quote name='dfg']I just learned that one of my cousin's wives is on the Windy City Rollers. Been meaning to check them out for years; might have an excuse now.[/QUOTE]

ive never been to a windy city rollers game but i went to the Chicago syndicate derby a little while ago. its pretty fun.

I visited the Galloping Ghost yesterday, and it's great - definitely a place I could spend all day at...

I'm going back next Saturday as they're having Mortal Kombat, MvC3 and SSFIV tournaments - seems like it would make for a CAG meetup if anyone is interested.

[quote name='ryosnk']Anyone attend the six corners BBQ fest? How was it? Worth attending?[/QUOTE]

i'm going today. ill let you know how it is when i get back.

edit: wasn't that impressed. Ended up donating 5 dollars to get in which wasn't a big deal. They had hardly any bbq stands, i believe 2 or 3 at most. The rest were mostly advertisement stands (i.e. sears, wisconsin dells, and more.) I wouldn't go against unless it was bigger and better.

[quote name='TooMuchCoolness']Is galloping ghost the only arcade place in chicago? its way too far :([/QUOTE]

Not sure, but GG is worth the trip. I have been several times.

bread's done
Back