It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone get into the Target Trade in stuff? And is Battlefield on PS4 good? I currently have 0 games for the PS4. NBA2K14, NFS and Injustice was good, but COD:Ghost looked pretty and short.
Unfortunately, by the time i got to trade in the games the tiv plummeted so I didn't even bother. Have you tried Wolfenstein? I would recommend it for ps4..unless you already own it for another system.

I play most of my shooters on Xbox due to my friends list and I think the controller lends itself to the genre. That said, I've got BF4 and Ghosts on xb1. I like BF4 pretty much across the board better. Very pretty game, and the PS4 version runs at a higher res, so I'd recommend it. I haven't encountered the issues people rag on it for, but probably cause I don't have any dlc for it. Interested in Wolfenstein, so I may check that out too.

If you're into sports games, I'm absolutely in love with the PS4 MLB 14. I'll admit, I'm a baseball junkie, but it also makes me very critical, and this thing is damn near perfection. In order to get the most out of it, it's a time investment, just the nature of the game, but so worth it.

I had no idea he was still around until I stopped to grab lunch at Irving's near Old Orchard the other day, where I hadn't been since high school, and on its Yelp page Mancow had uploaded a bunch of photos to it.

Put me down as another long time Chicagoan who has always hated Mancow.

Did anyone else get tickets to the Playstation E3 press conference showing at a movie theater over on Western Ave? 

Put me down as another long time Chicagoan who has always hated Mancow.

Did anyone else get tickets to the Playstation E3 press conference showing at a movie theater over on Western Ave?
Not me. I wish they did a showing in the suburbs but I can understand why. It costs money to rent out the theaters. Heck they could just charge $5 to cover costs and I wouldn't have a problem paying it.

Any go to the sony free e3 at the movie theater how was it?

Anyone going to the best buy smash bros event?

I used to love mancow in my teens but I tried to get back into it and it is painful to listen to, I have a friend of a friend that's a semi-regular on the show. Any of you live up north in Lake County area?

As a 20 or so year fan of Howard Stern, Mancow is a fucking bum and hack who refuses to give credit to the man who paved the way for him to even be in that job. Everyone jumps into a gig like that and trashes Stern because they wanna be the new and hipper version, but then they're all eventually fired and bounce from station to station, all the while Howard lives on forever.

Also, if anyone is interested, I'll be up at Galloping Ghost on Friday night, probably late, like 8 or so till close. Come out and play.

Any go to the sony free e3 at the movie theater how was it?

Anyone going to the best buy smash bros event?
I went to the E3 movie theater event. It was ok.

We got (in later e-mails) alpha keys to Destiny and Beta keys for Battlefield Hardline. We also got $5 for PSN. Mine just arrived last night. Here's a messed up thing, though. My brother went with me and also got a code to enter on a specific website (not a PSN code). He tried to enter it less than 3 days later and it wouldn't work. I believe they gave less than 48 hours to enter that code. They didn't tell us to enter it by a certain date or time, either. Lost $5 because my brother snoozed. Oh, well. Easy come, easy go. (Unless I'm a spoiled, entitled brat...in which case "Pre-order cancelled")

On a side note, I looked around when I was in line and not to be judgemental, but MAN...video game players can be so stereotypically nerdy. I'm not the coolest guy in the world, but I felt like the Dos Equis guy among that group. I looked around and tried to find a guy who could possibly come close to outlifting me in deadlifts or any other manly lift and only one guy was even worth considering and he was a good 40 pounds or more bigger than me.

Dear CAGsters of Chicagoland, DYEL?!?

I used to love mancow in my teens but I tried to get back into it and it is painful to listen to, I have a friend of a friend that's a semi-regular on the show. Any of you live up north in Lake County area?
I do I live in Mundelein. Hey did anybody check out the Play Nintendo Tour 2014 at the Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg this weekend? I checked it out and it was pretty cool.

Hey friend of mine up there wants some recommendations for non-Gamestop, non-VStock stores to find used games at, mainly older stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

Hey friend of mine up there wants some recommendations for non-Gamestop, non-VStock stores to find used games at, mainly older stuff. Any help would be appreciated.
I went up to Chicago to visit my sister a month or so ago and I visted a neat store called Rad Vintage. It's mainly a vintage clothing store with some old toys, but they also have a nice little selection of NES, SNES and N64 games. By that I mean the number of games they have is small, but the games they did have were decent. Like Ducktales 2, Mega Man, Mega Man 5, Mega Man 6, ect.

They also have a Google streetview thing for the inside of their store.

https://plus.google.com/107090085471865322086/about?hl=en&gl=us

Hey, all. I'd uncharacteristically been following the Mario Kart-Happy Meal promotion at McDonald's lately, but I somehow missed the Luigi toy early on this month. I've got an extra Yoshi I'd be willing to part with for one, so does anyone have any recommendations (on where to look online or in person?) for trades or outright buys to obtain a Luigi? Thanks in advance.

I went to the new Meijer that opened in Homer Glen and they had the Mario Kart 8 Wii U bundle. Just FYI as I know its getting harder to find..

I think the Meijers in Mokena is a good size but not bigger than any of the Targets in the area. Either the Meijer in Plainfield or Bolingbrook is huge compared to the Mokena store.

The Meijer on Golf in Niles (west of Golf Mill) is fairly small, but the one on Golf in Rolling Meadows (east of Woodfield) is really big. Never found much of anything gaming-related worth buying at either tho.

Half Price Books, 2nd & Charles and Disc Replay

Also, I am trying to sell some stuff to get a PS4 finally. I live in Lisle and commute up to the Loop every day. If you or anyone you know would be interested in any of the following please let me know!

- Squier MIJ Stratocaster E796302

- Cort Acoustic

+ Model: EARTH-70 NS

+ Serial: CD03119761

- Epiphone Jr Model SJ02120983

- Dean M-16

- Peavey Backstage Plus

I also have my modded Wii with an external drive. Basically every imaginable game is loaded up onto that sucker.

Thanks!

I know it is a way late response, didn't bother before because I thought someone here would have mentioned People Play Games. They have a decent selection from consoles past to present, portables, and some imports. What they do have isn't too bad, like Zelda, Call of Duty, Final Fantasy, Assassin's Creed, Madden, Mario, etc.

They also have a Google streetview thing inside their store too.

https://plus.google.com/104082526660963881804/about

Soooooo

I have a Collectors Edition Destiny for the X1 preordered at Best Buy. ($100 one, not sure the names)

Problem is I want it for my PS4 and X1 but dont want to drop $200. So I already have a ton of Xbox marketplace credit and wouldnt mind just buying it digitally and then getting the CE for the PS4 instead. Anyone in the Naperville area perhaps wanting an X1 copy and will have a PS4?

This is the longest hail mary question ever but figured I would ask haha

Hey fellow Chicago gamers. Just moved to the city about a month and a half ago.

Not really game related, but would be cool to have some insight on where you guys like to hang out, what bars/resturants you like. Anyone know of a good headshop in the area? Would appricate some PMs to figure some of those things out!

Thanks.

Hey fellow Chicago gamers. Just moved to the city about a month and a half ago.

Not really game related, but would be cool to have some insight on where you guys like to hang out, what bars/restaurants you like. Anyone know of a good headshop in the area? Would appricate some PMs to figure some of those things out!

Thanks.
My basic hangout area when I'm in the city is wicker park. It used to be super hipsterville, but now it's half hipster half new yuppies. But the bars/clubs/restaurants are good. Logan square is decent.

Yeah it has been awhile since we last did. I seems a lot of those people don't post here anymore. I'll be done for a meet up soon.

Also anyone going to transformers con later this month?

It's been awhile since talks of a meet up. I've been working Saturday nights lately, but I'm always free in the mornings/afternoons or Friday nights.

Yeah, the problem with me has been that the mobile site blows.  I still get my subscription emails for the Yard Sale and Thrift Store threads, but I can't seriously tell you the last time I actually came to this site.  But as soon as "meet-up" was mentioned, I had to come out of hiding, ha ha.  I'd be down for it, but things are still pretty tight, so I'd only be able to do something like the Galloping Ghost again.

What about any of the bar/arcade locations in the city? Are any of those good?
Now there are two of the barcade locations for each of them. Emporium has one (Logan Sq)with nothing but pinball games, pool and air hockey, and the original one has the arcade games. The drinks are decent too. The other one is HQ Beercade (Lakeview) and it's pretty big. It has More games and they have a bloody mary with a white castle slider on top. It's a great spot.

Thanks for the info weaponx2099. Would anyone be interested on meeting up on any of those barcades or is galloping ghost the preferred meet up spot?

In, time and day dependent. I've never been to the beercades, even though I live close to a few. Also down for Ghost if you want to go that route.

What about any of the bar/arcade locations in the city? Are any of those good?
Emporium looks nice and HQ looks like a bar in Deadly Premonition. There's always those mainstream places like Gameworks and Dave & Busters which has more modern games. There's just no denying the fact times have changed. Nickel City is 40% of its original size (and lost more than that of its selection), but Galloping Ghost seems to be maintaining for the time being. I do not even know if one can still take the grandkids out to Haunted Trails or Enchanted Castle (may as well use Six Flags). I know Galaxy World is no more. Ford City may still have Tilt, if you are willing to brave not getting shot or stabbed by some 14 year old. There's random cabinets in bowling alleys and movie theaters. That's all I know, none will ever match up to the holy land.

Beercade would be cool. That place is awesome. Great selection of games, they are all free and you can order pizza to the place while drinking your canned Moose Drool. No cover.

I have a bunch of stuff to trade/sell, including a PSP complete copy of Final Fantasy Type-0. Awesome game, especailly now with the English patch by Skyrom.

Hi yalls, haven't been lurking in a while, we should probable orchestrate a meet up over Facebook where we all probably regularly reside.

Looks like the Ghost is having another swap meet the Saturday after thanksgiving. I actually think I may get a table. Got a lot of swag and retro games I wanna get rid of.

bread's done
Back