It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone been able to track down Phantasy Star Universe on the 360 at any TRU's in the area? A guy at the one in Orland Park told me it wasn't out ("It is STILL in beta; won't be out for a while!" he said...), but then I walked over to BB and they had it in stock. Very confusing.

ABORT ABORT TRU waiting. just went by at 3:45, there were already 7 people waiting. i can't imagine they weren't there for PS3 (sorry Wii and TMX Elmo), and i doubt the store will get more than 10. i may swing by there around midnight just to check, but not planning on even having a remote shot at getting one.

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']ABORT ABORT TRU waiting. just went by at 3:45, there were already 7 people waiting. i can't imagine they weren't there for PS3 (sorry Wii and TMX Elmo), and i doubt the store will get more than 10. i may swing by there around midnight just to check, but not planning on even having a remote shot at getting one.[/QUOTE]

Second that - went by after work to get in on the last day of the B2G1 sale and all the PS3's are already spoken for by people camped out in line (the clerk inside said they are only doing 8 pre-orders.)

Damn - looks like a long night out in front of Best Buy for me.

1000th reply. Wheeee.

Anyhoo, Chicagoans...with the news that Best Buy may be getting a whole heap of Wii...is anyone still going to camp for these things come November 19th? I'm thinking of rolling out to BB around 5am or so (Bolingbrook, IL store).

Anyone else?

[quote name='ericbee99']1000th reply. Wheeee.

Anyhoo, Chicagoans...with the news that Best Buy may be getting a whole heap of Wii...is anyone still going to camp for these things come November 19th? I'm thinking of rolling out to BB around 5am or so (Bolingbrook, IL store).

Anyone else?[/quote]

Nah, I will try and get one once I get off work at 1pm and if that doesn't work then oh well. Only thing I plan on camping for is the ps3 but I am thinking I might have to wait about 48 straight hours if I wanna get myself one of those.

If you haven't heard yet, 1up reported that the Best Buy store in Butterfield RD, IL will be having a midnight PS3 launch. That is the only Illinois store (according to them) that will be having a midnight launch. I am still debating whether to go there or camp out in front of Target/Costco for one. Anyone else planning a PS3/Wii campout?

[quote name='Esoul']If you haven't heard yet, 1up reported that the Best Buy store in Butterfield RD, IL will be having a midnight PS3 launch. That is the only Illinois store (according to them) that will be having a midnight launch. I am still debating whether to go there or camp out in front of Target/Costco for one. Anyone else planning a PS3/Wii campout?[/QUOTE]

In that case I might head up to Libertyville or wherever that is. The campout for that store will probably start wicked early tho. Can anyone verify this?

[quote name='Ranma444']Sup everyone, I'm from chicago and usually just lurk around the forum, but i'd liek to start contributing a lil more. I wouldve added a few import shops, but it seems that the only 2 i knew of, cyberzone games (near arlington heights) and highscore (around beverly in southside), have both closed down. There was a pretty awesome store on Harlem by the HIP that sells lots of older games, but i forgot the name.

anyone know of any import shops around? I hate having to order online all the time. Anyways, keep the peace.[/quote]Taking from your name, you're looking for a japanese import shop. I believe there is an import shot on belmont and clark that moved from the mitsuwa mall a year or two ago. They have imports that is infered but not said so you'll have to ask.

When they were at Mitsuwa, my now ex used to request a lot of specialty orders directly from japan from them.

[quote name='darkcloudinc']Taking from your name, you're looking for a japanese import shop. I believe there is an import shot on belmont and clark that moved from the mitsuwa mall a year or two ago. They have imports that is infered but not said so you'll have to ask.

When they were at Mitsuwa, my now ex used to request a lot of specialty orders directly from japan from them.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that import shop on Clark (north of Belmont) closed down (j1toy.com) and they only have the Arlington Heights store open now. Unless there's another one in the area I missed.

[quote name='crewj']nice. i might camp for a wii out at the bestbuy in evanston.[/quote]
I might be there too, or possibly the one in Skokie.

[quote name='Joon2324']In that case I might head up to Libertyville or wherever that is. The campout for that store will probably start wicked early tho. Can anyone verify this?[/quote]

Its always nuts at the store on butterfield. It is one of the best selling Best Buys around here. I am going to try and camp there, but if the line is massive, I know exactly where I am going to be camping :)

[quote name='Johnny Postman']I'm pretty sure that import shop on Clark (north of Belmont) closed down (j1toy.com) and they only have the Arlington Heights store open now. Unless there's another one in the area I missed.[/quote]I believe they're still alive. I passed by their store last saturday and they had stuff still in there.

[quote name='Prepster']Its always nuts at the store on butterfield. It is one of the best selling Best Buys around here. I am going to try and camp there, but if the line is massive, I know exactly where I am going to be camping :)[/QUOTE]

Turns out its the other butterfield in Downer's Grove. What time are you thinking about going out there? I'm guessing it'll have to be on wednesday, maybe in the afternoon.

[quote name='darkcloudinc']I believe they're still alive. I passed by their store last saturday and they had stuff still in there.[/QUOTE]

No, I live right there. Its gone and in its place is a trixie accessory shop now.

I was at the CC store in Skokie/Niles getting the new Transformers dvd and I noticed a Circuit city item book, it contains coupons on certain games (like Gears of war $5 off).

So whos getting a ps3, wii, or both?

I will be getting a Wii but until Christmas (thats what my wife said she will get me).

I have been compiling a list in the CC deal thread but I will start bouncing back and forth between the two.

Here is the list of guys from that thread going. I figured we could group up if everyone agrees. (Schaumberg)

1) Firefox90
2) tnote827
3) nikkai
4) zmonkay
5) fatboyinside
6) prepster
7) BGPu
8) Stry-ker
9) purduealum91
10) romeogbs19
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/member.php?u=2396

K, for me bad news, I have to do some work with patients, then take an exam before I head up. I seriously don't think I'll be there till 3pm.

What do you think? Can people save a spot, or would that piss everyone off really really badly?

Yeah that is why I am thinking if us CAGers can kind of band together. Maybe if we bring extra chairs, people will see them and assume we have a buddy coming or something. Any ideas anyone?

You could very well bring numerous lawn chairs and camp out, and rotate people from the group in and out for bathroom breaks, wife aggro, work, getting food for the group, whatever. I've seen it done many times before. So you could probably get away with bringing extra chairs to make it look like those people were previously there.

[quote name='rjarmstrong100']You could very well bring numerous lawn chairs and camp out, and rotate people from the group in and out for bathroom breaks, wife aggro, work, getting food for the group, whatever. I've seen it done many times before. So you could probably get away with bringing extra chairs to make it look like those people were previously there.[/quote]

Wife aggro - what a wonderful new term to add to my vocabulary. :D

Alright, if someone would kindly bring a chair for me, I'll bring lunch/dinner. =)

Seriously.

If we can some how plan the earliest group to get there and set up chairs, the rest of us come asap, that'd be great - that way, everyone gets one...

Alright how about everyone post their ETA for my list. From there, we can collaborate on some things.

1) Firefox90-ETA 3-3:30 p.m.
2) tnote827
3) nikkai
4) zmonkay
5) fatboyinside
6) prepster
7) BGPu
8) Stry-ker
9) purduealum91
10) romeogbs19

Just got back from reserving another wii at TRU on Cicero (near Ford City mall). They still had 15 reserves left and there was only 3 people waiting in their cars to get one. These are going on ebay for 500-700 for just the system so it could potentially pay for a wii or ps3. Good luck next this week guys, I'll be at Costco for a ps3.

anyone here who subscribed EGM for free using the various free links that were offered months ago? just wanna ask why is it always so long for my EGM to arrive here in chi-town while it's already out in diff. bookstores...

I'm also interested in camping for CC in Schaumberg. Anyone know the details?
Such as what time they are allowing people to start camping etc.
I am taking thursday off from work! :whistle2:#

Hey, to the people who are camping out for the Wii or ps3, take some pics or video of your adventures in waiting in line, it will be cool checking them out. I havent done a launch event since the gamecube and dreamcast.

[quote name='purduealum91']Hey guys,

Does anyone know if any Costcos in the area will have Wii or PS3 bundles on launch day?[/QUOTE]

apparently costco's allotment got cut short and they're going to have to use the ones they have to online orders. So no ps3 launch at costco. I was planning on going there too.

Yeah at this point I'm probably gonna just call targets and walmarts, find the ones with the most launch systems, and drive by and check them out. My guess is the lines are too long everywhere already.

I've checked two walmarts in the near west suburbs. They'll open 7am, first come first served. So far no one waiting at either location. I'm wondering if you purchase in one of the less well off areas of the city if you'll have better luck finding a system. Any thoughts? CC and BB are definitely a waste of time unless you don't like sleeping.

yup, thanks..

Do you think it would be better to hit up a 7am store rather than a midnight store, if one can only start waiting around noonish tomorrow?

I am trying to compile a list for CC now.

Bloomingdale, 3125
340 West Army Trail Road, Bloomingdale, IL 60108 Details & directions

Downers Grove, 3112
2900 Highland Avenue, Downers Grove, IL 60515 Details & directions-None

Naperville, 3121
460 South State Route 59, Naperville, IL 60540 Details & directions

Batavia, 3758
1980 West Fabyan Parkway, Batavia, IL 60510 Details & directions

Darien, 3116
2157 75th Street, Darien, IL 60561 Details & directions

Bolingbrook, 3790
111 South Weber Road, Bolingbrook, IL 60490 Details & directions

Schaumburg, 3111
1420 East Golf Road, Schaumburg, IL 60173 Details & directions-100+

Countryside, 4126
9950 Joliet Road, Countryside, IL 60525 Details & directions

purduealum91: I really don't know. I asked if they have any plan for line-ups and they said no, so it's up in the air whether it's worth getting there for an overnight camp. I'm considering just going around a half an hour ealier to see if anyone is waiting. For the most part, I think people are concentrating on the Best Buys and Circuit City's, so I'm hoping to get lucky.

bread's done
Back