It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chicagoz']I'm glad you enjoyed seeing our part of the world. [/quote]I'll definately be back. If not for my brother and sister in law, but for Oberweis. :drool:

[quote name='mzbagel']With that said, I'm looking forward to picking up Halo 3, Orange Box, and BioShock at Toys'R'Us when the sale starts. I need something new to play besides Dead Rising :)[/quote]With the TRU sale last month, I hit up three of y'alls stores. One on Army Ridge or Army sumpin in Bloomingdale (I think), the Schaumburg and then one further up on Golf and Milwaukee. The Schaumburg and Bloomingdale had no Bioshocks, no Eternal Sonata, no ps3 Dirt, no a lot of titles. The clerks in the stores asked what they were, and I told them, "i'm asking in the game section, because I'm asking about games." I was arrogantly told none of them were out yet. I called my local Gamestop to make sure I wasn't halucinating and asked them if they were out, and was told they plenty of each title.

The Milwaukee/Golf TRU didn't have a bunch of titles either, but the guys working there at least recognized most of the titles and said they either hadn't gotten them or in bioshocks case, had sold out.

So just some advice. Save gas money and call ahead to make sure your TRU has the games you're looking for.

The Franklin Park TRU didn't have that many PS3 games in stock. I was mainly looking for Forklore and Ninja Gaiden Sigma. They did have the Orange Box for the 360.

EDIT: Online, I managed to pick up Heavenly Sword, NBA 2K8 and Skate.

I'm going to CC today to see if the HD DVDs are still ringing up b1g1 free. By chance, can anyone confirm that they are?

[quote name='guinaevere']I'll definately be back. If not for my brother and sister in law, but for Oberweis. :drool:

With the TRU sale last month, I hit up three of y'alls stores. One on Army Ridge or Army sumpin in Bloomingdale (I think), the Schaumburg and then one further up on Golf and Milwaukee. The Schaumburg and Bloomingdale had no Bioshocks, no Eternal Sonata, no ps3 Dirt, no a lot of titles. The clerks in the stores asked what they were, and I told them, "i'm asking in the game section, because I'm asking about games." I was arrogantly told none of them were out yet. I called my local Gamestop to make sure I wasn't halucinating and asked them if they were out, and was told they plenty of each title.

The Milwaukee/Golf TRU didn't have a bunch of titles either, but the guys working there at least recognized most of the titles and said they either hadn't gotten them or in bioshocks case, had sold out.

So just some advice. Save gas money and call ahead to make sure your TRU has the games you're looking for.[/quote]

I picked up Bioshock, Blue Dragon, and Medal of Honor: Airborne. Wanted Eternal Sonata, but no TRU in the Chicago area has it in. I took your advice and I called a lot of them. Thanks. My hard-headed self would have drove to each and every one of them :) I had second thoughts about Medal of Honor, so I returned it and got Orange Box.

[quote name='Blackout542']Did anyone score big at the Gamecrazys? I did really good.[/QUOTE]

What were you able to get and what store did you go?

Picked up Beerfest and The Warriors on HD DVD today at Circuit City, both ringing up half price. Now hopefully this will still be going on tomorrow when Transformers is released...

[quote name='ryosnk']What were you able to get and what store did you go?[/quote]

I did pretty good. I'm gonna post a thread in the Deals section if you wanna check it out. Did anyone get stuff there? The one on Lawrence was FULL of games even at 40%. I lucked out and went the day before 70% started. The employee did me a solid and put the games I wanted behind the counter and I picked them up the next day.

[quote name='chicagoz']Picked up Beerfest and The Warriors on HD DVD today at Circuit City, both ringing up half price. Now hopefully this will still be going on tomorrow when Transformers is released...[/QUOTE]

How much did they come up after half off? Was the transformers dvd ringing up half also and what cc store did these work at?

[quote name='mzbagel']Hey folks,

I know this isn't the the trade/sell forum, but I have some stuff I'm selling off for local pickup only and thought some Chicago area CAGs might be interested in picking up a HDTV capable set on the cheap. I've listed it at the top of my tradelist: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145076

With that said, I'm looking forward to picking up Halo 3, Orange Box, and BioShock at Toys'R'Us when the sale starts. I need something new to play besides Dead Rising :)[/quote]LOL, I have the exact same TV (Toshiba 34HF81) that I've been looking to unload also. I bought it back in the summer of 2002 and it costs me more than most plasma these days. It's a good HDTV, but just too damn bulky and heavy, weighing in at 150 lbs without the stand. Not enough inputs for today's electronics either.

Sorry about the tangent.

[quote name='chicagoz']Picked up Beerfest and The Warriors on HD DVD today at Circuit City, both ringing up half price. Now hopefully this will still be going on tomorrow when Transformers is released...[/QUOTE]

Hey if you go to cc can you try and get me transformers and the warriors with the deal going on?

Are the aformentioned Gamecrazy stores the only two in Chicagoland that are closing? I'd like to maybe pick up some PS2 RPG's. As I have none of the next gen systems (PS3 is too pricey and no good games, 360 sucks save for Eternal Sonata) so am not concerned about those. Though, it would have been nice to grab some Wii games. I have a friend who is head of security at D&H and apparently can get a Wii for me for like $150. Wouldn't be bad to stock up on games.

I was wondering where is everyone located by? That way maybe we can work as a team on finding certain games or items and maybe make new friends.

I'm located on Addison/Narraganset and also touhy/northwest hwy.

I'm near Portage Park.

Seraph, the Crazy on Lawrence is already closed down.

[quote name='Blackout542']I'm near Portage Park.

Seraph, the Crazy on Lawrence is already closed down.[/QUOTE]

Is it? oh well. I myself am in the Joliet area. I know the Naperville GC seems to have simply vanished.

just got back from the ford city CC. its a no go there. they told me that it was only for blu ray and not the hd dvd.

But at the north riverside mall its a different story. I ask and one guy said the deal was over, but the floor mgr came and said it was good for the ones on the list BD or HDDVD. did not see any thing good so i left. might want to play dumb here and say that all 24.99 and 29.99 movies are on the list. deal expires the 20th. I will head back there maybe on the thursday.

Can any one check the CC at North and Sherfield? i wanted to go but couldnt.

but if i dont make it there on time can some one pick up smoking aces, Transformers, lucky # 7, full metal jack for me?

thanks
DB1

[quote name='SeraphiMichael']Is it? oh well. I myself am in the Joliet area. I know the Naperville GC seems to have simply vanished.[/quote]

Naperville...hmm was that a solo Crazy (aka no Hollywood)? I have no idea what happened to that one. I went there earlier in the year, then during the summer I went and the place was gone. It was probably the best gamecrazy I ever shopped at.

[quote name='ryosnk']I was wondering where is everyone located by? That way maybe we can work as a team on finding certain games or items and maybe make new friends.

I'm located on Addison/Narraganset and also touhy/northwest hwy.[/quote]

I'm by North Ave. and Western Ave.

[quote name='ryosnk']Hey if you go to cc can you try and get me transformers and the warriors with the deal going on?[/quote]

The deal is dead, unfortunately. I wanted to go buy a few more HD DVD's today, too. Oh well, it was good while it lasted. I picked up my movies from the CC on Elston Ave when it was working.

If anyone wants to get in on the Toys R Us B2G1 sale, the one off of Western and Roscoe has a very good selection of 360 and ps3 games. The DS game selection is big but nothing to great in it. I'm going back later today. Also if anyone was interested in Beautiful Katamari I got one on accident as a filler not realizing it was only $40.

On the CC located in niles on touhy (by walmart) I was able to get the buy 1 get 1 free hd-dvds. I just asked the lady in customer service and she its good untill tommorrow.

Also, the park ridge hollywood video is going out of business and they have 50% off dvds and games (not a big selection).

Guitar Hero III spotted at K-Mart on Addison: 3 copies for :360:, 5 copies for :ps2: (or maybe it was :ps3: ). This is game only, not the bundle.

Oh, and I'm located near Six Corners.

[quote name='guinaevere']I'll definately be back. If not for my brother and sister in law, but for Oberweis. :drool:

With the TRU sale last month, I hit up three of y'alls stores. One on Army Ridge or Army sumpin in Bloomingdale (I think), the Schaumburg and then one further up on Golf and Milwaukee. The Schaumburg and Bloomingdale had no Bioshocks, no Eternal Sonata, no ps3 Dirt, no a lot of titles. The clerks in the stores asked what they were, and I told them, "i'm asking in the game section, because I'm asking about games." I was arrogantly told none of them were out yet. I called my local Gamestop to make sure I wasn't halucinating and asked them if they were out, and was told they plenty of each title.

So just some advice. Save gas money and call ahead to make sure your TRU has the games you're looking for.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I hit up that sale too and couldn't find the Eternal Sonata anywhere. Schaumburg was out of most things, but they did have Bioshock at one point mid-week. Sadly the sales people are sometimes pretty clueless, but at least they were nice when I asked about swapping one of the games at another store during the week.

Your best bet are the Gamestop's. Army Trail is littered with them. Go inside Woodfield Mall, the Gamestop in there was my old store. There's still some good kids there.

[quote name='ryosnk']I was wondering where is everyone located by? That way maybe we can work as a team on finding certain games or items and maybe make new friends.

I'm located on Addison/Narraganset and also touhy/northwest hwy.[/QUOTE]
Im near Archer/Cicero...South Chicago.

Does anyone know of any stores in Chicagoland that still have Ar Tonelico? I could have sworn the Bridgeview Game razy had two a few days ago; however, the person who answered said no. I wonder if I should call back tonight when someone else is working...

[quote name='SeraphiMichael']Does anyone know of any stores in Chicagoland that still have Ar Tonelico? I could have sworn the Bridgeview Game razy had two a few days ago; however, the person who answered said no. I wonder if I should call back tonight when someone else is working...[/quote]

Didn't that game just get released? I thought I saw a few copies at Fry's...

[quote name='chicagoz']Didn't that game just get released? I thought I saw a few copies at Fry's...[/QUOTE]

It was released in January. When I called Fry's a week ago I was told it was sold out

Not really gaming related but was just wondering if any of you local CAGs go to Loyola for school. I'm applying there for next fall and was wondering how the school is and how hard it is to get in.

Just figured i'd pop in and say im from Champaign... not really chicagoland but im always up in the chicago area if you wanted to add me to the list :p. We need another hangout date!

[quote name='BigMastadon']Just figured i'd pop in and say im from Champaign... not really chicagoland but im always up in the chicago area if you wanted to add me to the list :p. We need another hangout date![/quote]

The Chicago Movie Fans meet-up is this Sunday in Evanston, if you want to combine groups. They'll be viewing "American Gangster".

Hey if anyone would like to meet up today at gameworks around 9pm (the $10 all you can play promotion) I would be the one with the blue puma sweater.

Also, the park ridge hollywood video has 80% off games theirs some decent ps2, xbox, and gamecube games.

[quote name='shieryda']The Chicago Movie Fans meet-up is this Sunday in Evanston, if you want to combine groups. They'll be viewing "American Gangster".[/QUOTE]

Is their a link to their website or forums?

[quote name='ryosnk']
Also, the park ridge hollywood video has 80% off games theirs some decent ps2, xbox, and gamecube games.
[/QUOTE]

I picked up about 20 movies for around $50 now that some things are even 90% off and everything must go, definitely had to check the quality of the discs as its all previously viewed. There's only 3 days left but still quite a few good movies left and around 50 games, nothing really stands out- I should have bought the good stuff at 50% off- I held out too long and missed out on Call of Cthullu and Bully for $10 each. Dammit.

I'm at Touhy/Northwest Hwy as well.

[quote name='Jonny Polychronopoulos']I picked up about 20 movies for around $50 now that some things are even 90% off and everything must go, definitely had to check the quality of the discs as its all previously viewed. There's only 3 days left but still quite a few good movies left and around 50 games, nothing really stands out- I should have bought the good stuff at 50% off- I held out too long and missed out on Call of Cthullu and Bully for $10 each. Dammit.

I'm at Touhy/Northwest Hwy as well.[/QUOTE]

Heh, I got the Call of Cthullu. I also picked up predator, leisure suit larry, and few dvds.

I went again and they had yakusa for $2 not bad. Also did you get any ecw dvd's?

Its a fairly rare game I think, rather buggy though, just something I thought I'd give a shot to see if I could tolerate, it likely would have just ended up wasting away in my massive backlog another couple of years.

I don't know what ecw is? Wrestling I guess. Wasn't interested, it seemed like they kepy mostly just Horror stuff around. I bought up a good chunk of the foreign/obscure emo type movies- that's my cup of tea.

I got Full Spectrum Warrior Ten Hammers for $3, I liked the first, hopefully the Coop is just as good this time around. I put back Gun and Zelda because they were rather scratched up, I imagine half the stuff in the store is unplayable.

Don't know if it has been posted anywhere else, but the brick and mortar Costcos should be getting the Rock Band bundle. $159.99 Nice for those that didn't pre-order (me).

Just to let everyone know, there are still a lot of preorder slips for Super Mario Galaxy at the Toys R Us in Schaumberg (on Golf Road). I was there this morning and there were at least 30 available.
A good place to pick it up to make sure you get in on the $25 gift card deal!

[quote name='arthurtracy']Just to let everyone know, there are still a lot of preorder slips for Super Mario Galaxy at the Toys R Us in Schaumberg (on Golf Road). I was there this morning and there were at least 30 available.
A good place to pick it up to make sure you get in on the $25 gift card deal![/QUOTE]

Thanks.

[quote name='chicagoz']Don't know if it has been posted anywhere else, but the brick and mortar Costcos should be getting the Rock Band bundle. $159.99 Nice for those that didn't pre-order (me).[/quote]

Nice. Thanks for the info!

I was at the CC on Touhy Tuesday at around 2:15 pm. I was told they got CoD4 in at around 1 pm and sold out shortly afterwards. They didn't have both games. I may go to another one, either the one on North Ave or the one on Elston Ave tomorrow and see if they have any (I seriously doubt it). Anyone know if they'll give out a raincheck, or let the games be special ordered?

[quote name='chicagoz']I was at the CC on Touhy Tuesday at around 2:15 pm. I was told they got CoD4 in at around 1 pm and sold out shortly afterwards. They didn't have both games. I may go to another one, either the one on North Ave or the one on Elston Ave tomorrow and see if they have any (I seriously doubt it). Anyone know if they'll give out a raincheck, or let the games be special ordered?[/quote]

I got a manager to put a note on my receipt for CoD4 that I could come in later and buy CoD3 for a penny.

[quote name='chicagoz']Don't know if it has been posted anywhere else, but the brick and mortar Costcos should be getting the Rock Band bundle. $159.99 Nice for those that didn't pre-order (me).[/QUOTE]

Will it be on sale the 20th? Haven't bought a game at costco on release date and was wondering if I'd have to wait an extra week or something before they get it

[quote name='yodawgyo']Will it be on sale the 20th? Haven't bought a game at costco on release date and was wondering if I'd have to wait an extra week or something before they get it[/quote]

The last big titles (Halo 3, Madden 08) that were scheduled to be released on a weekday have came in on-time. Since this is supposed to come in on Tuesday, I expect it to be on-time, also.

Would someone be able to pick me up a mario galaxy w/gift card from tru? I'm going on vacation and I'm not sure where a tru is at on Miami and if I do decide to go to one, my wife would let me have it.

Thanks if anyone can.

bread's done
Back