It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chi.bri']

Also can we start a new Chicago thread? This one's kind of deep and it be easier to organize a meetup.[/quote]

Seconded.

I pm'd Cheapy to ask if they'd mention it in the CAGcast. It may be too late, though. Next meet-up for sure.

I's iz from dee suburbz of chicago.

Wow that would suck if I actually talked like that. Anyway i'm from Geneva with is a suburb of chicago. You know one of those rich affluent white suburbs :) If I can get off work I would be down for a meetup.

Meet-up details:

Saturday, April 5 (4/5/08)
3PM to whenever

Dunaly's on the Square
3137 W. Logan Blvd.

Bring your games and guides for trading!

[quote name='shieryda']Okay. So far we have:

slowdive
ryosnk
shieryda

Come on, guys. I know there are a least 3 or 4 more CAGs in Chicago...

We should have Cheapy mention it in the CAGcast...[/quote]

I'm one of them, but I have class at that time. Also, I'm not much into trading, just buying and fattening up my backlog...

The only CAGs I've met in person were that one guy who had a blog and worked at a GS in Evanston and some random dude during a simultaneous BB clearance and GS +$$$ trade-in event a few years ago.

Ryo has talked about meeting at the Dave and Buster's in Schaumburg, which I could possibly make, if there's a next time.

Last thing, the Half Price books at Village Crossing in Skokie is a nifty place to find older games and guides for modest prices.

[quote name='shieryda']I'm taking requests for Odin Sphere, if anybody wants one from CC.[/quote]

No cash ATM, but lemme know where you find copies at.

[quote name='shieryda']I'm taking requests for Odin Sphere, if anybody wants one from CC.[/QUOTE]

If you can find some, let us know. I'd like to get my hands on a copy.

Looks like a new comic shop is gonna open up in the city. On Western Ave south of Milwaukee Ave., just south from the Blue Line. "Challengers Comics + Conversation?" Big red signs in the windows.

[quote name='shieryda']Meet-up details:

Saturday, April 5
3PM to whenever

Dunaly's on the Square
3137 W. Logan Blvd.

Bring your games and guides for trading![/QUOTE]

I've been to Dunlay's before. Nice bar. I wish I can go to the meet-up. Co-worker's vacations kill me being able to participate.

[quote name='chicagoz']
I've been to Dunlay's before. Nice bar. I wish I can go to the meet-up. Co-worker's vacations kill me being able to participate.[/quote]

Don't worry. We'll plan another one this summer. By then, there will more games out for trading!

Does anyone know if Cheapy mentioned it in this week's CAGcast? I haven't listened to it, yet.

What's up, vatos? I like near Elgin (I used to live on Clark & Peterson, and went to Senn High School)

I'll see if I can find something to trade, but if not, I think it'll be cool to hang with you fellas.

Shit, a bunch of CAGs in a bar, I'm there!!!!!!!!

Come on, CHICAGO, shit...come on ILLINOIS! Get down here next Saturday!

As a matter of fact, if anyone's not busy tonight or next friday, I'll be playing some metal guitar with a rap group (www.chicagonetworkconnected.com) at

THE BASSMENT, FRIDAY, MARCH 28th @7pm
1415 n Ashland, Chicago, Illinois, 60612

and
BETTY'S BLUE STAR LOUNGE, FRIDAY, APRIL 4th @ 10:30pm
1600 W. Grand, Chi, Illinois, 60623

Later, CAGs

Edit: P.s., yesterday's episode of my Podcast features a lot of Chicago Love, namely talking about the old gang spot/fast food restaurant "Duks." Anyone remember that? Anyways, it's at (www.cyberpunksgaming.com)

[quote name='Simon D I']Edit: P.s., yesterday's episode of my Podcast features a lot of Chicago Love, namely talking about the old gang spot/fast food restaurant "Duks." Anyone remember that?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I remember Duks... right by Senn on Ridge 'n' Clark. I had my first exposure to Punch-Out!! and Pac-Man Jr. there. Gotta love Edgewater... (Hmm, anyone know what was there before Duks?)

But, yeah... the CAG meet-up is a bit too close to a family event I got going on that day, so I'll have to pass. Hope you all have a great time, though.

Just a quick FYI to fellow Chicagoland CAGs. Was at the Target in Lombard today (by Yorktown) and saw The Simpsons Game for the 360 at $24.99 on clearance. Being the good CAG I am (already own it) I left all the copies for other folks to enjoy :)

What would you guys say is a better school for an undergraduate degree, UIC or DePaul?

I just missed the admissions deadline for UIC. Also, DePaul has the tuiton listed as 23,820.00 per year. Does that mean it include Fall and Spring semesters?

[quote name='mzbagel']Just a quick FYI to fellow Chicagoland CAGs. Was at the Target in Lombard today (by Yorktown) and saw The Simpsons Game for the 360 at $24.99 on clearance. Being the good CAG I am (already own it) I left all the copies for other folks to enjoy :)[/quote]

Don't forget about the $5 off coupon (you'd probably have to get a little something extra to make the $25 for the coupon, but this is a good deal). Is the game any good?

Count me in, Loan Square is only a few stops from me.
I don't think I'll have much for trading though, but it'd be nice to meet some fellow CAGs and have a few beers.
BTW...anyone know how the beers selection is there?

[quote name='chi.bri']Count me in, Loan Square is only a few stops from me.
I don't think I'll have much for trading though, but it'd be nice to meet some fellow CAGs and have a few beers.
BTW...anyone know how the beers selection is there?[/QUOTE]

I'll probably wont bring that much to trade (if anything) but I would like to meet some Chicago area cags and maybe drink a few beer. But I bring some cash to maybe buy some stuff. :)

I'll try to make it to the meet up on Saturday.

Has anyone had any luck finding those $15 copies of Crackdown at any Target? I'm to have to agree with the person that said that city Targets are not the best place to find clearanced items.

[quote name='D_Icon']What would you guys say is a better school for an undergraduate degree, UIC or DePaul?

I just missed the admissions deadline for UIC. Also, DePaul has the tuiton listed as 23,820.00 per year. Does that mean it include Fall and Spring semesters?[/QUOTE]

Depends. What are you looking to major in? DePaul is definitely a school on the rise, but they're not as prestigious as they like to think they are... at least at this point. Still, I'd take it over UIC based on it's location, rep and facilities. You have to figure out what best meets your needs though.

[quote name='joeposh']Depends. What are you looking to major in? DePaul is definitely a school on the rise, but they're not as prestigious as they like to think they are... [/quote]

I agree. People act like going to DePaul is the same as attending an ivy league school. I know about 27-30 people from DePaul I don't like any of them. I think the last one I talked to was upset because her dad gave her his "old" (2006) Lexus rather than buying her a new one. :-({|=

[quote name='chi.bri']Count me in, Loan Square is only a few stops from me.
BTW...anyone know how the beers selection is there?[/quote]

I just called them to inquire about the beers:

Tap:

Rogue (couple different types)
Guiness
Fat Tire
Stella
Blue Moon
and a few others that I didn't have a chance to write down

Bottles:

Standard domestics (Bud, Lite, etc.)
Heineken
Amstel
and a few others

I think they'll have $5 bloody Mary's, too.

If you want brunch, get there before 3PM.

[quote name='slowdive21']I agree. People act like going to DePaul is the same as attending an ivy league school. I know about 27-30 people from DePaul I don't like any of them. I think the last one I talked to was upset because her dad gave her his "old" (2006) Lexus rather than buying her a new one. :-({|=[/quote]

haha i graduated from depaul in 2005. that's EXACTLY what the girls talk about in the halls. and here i am driving my sentra w/ the exhaust system rusted and broken in 2 places.

joeposh: if you're gonna go into business/commerce, computers or law, i'd say depaul is a good choice. anything else and you're better off going to UIC. being an IL resident helps w/ the tuition at UIC...it doesn't help at depaul. also if you're coming straight out of high school, consider community college or a lower tier school for your general education classes. saves you money.

oh and sorry i can't make it this saturday. going to gurnee mills w/ the gf and her family. i'll post some deals if i find any.

[quote name='typeRJ']oh and sorry i can't make it this saturday. going to gurnee mills w/ the gf and her family. i'll post some deals if i find any.[/quote]

Skip that, and make them come to the meet-up!;)

joeposh thanks for the response.

Has anybody been to the Aragon Ballroom. I was thinking about going, if I do it will be the first time. Is it like a theater where people sit down and watch the show or is it an open space where people can dance?

What places/clubs would you guys recomend to go out for a date for dancing?Spanish or english music doesnt matter. To say the truth I have never been out to any clubs. Dates were mostly a movie and dinner, yes lame.

Any response appreciated.

[quote name='D_Icon']joeposh thanks for the response.

Has anybody been to the Aragon Ballroom. I was thinking about going, if I do it will be the first time. Is it like a theater where people sit down and watch the show or is it an open space where people can dance?

What places/clubs would you guys recomend to go out for a date for dancing?Spanish or english music doesnt matter. To say the truth I have never been out to any clubs. Dates were mostly a movie and dinner, yes lame.

Any response appreciated.[/quote]

They usually don't have seating at the Scaragon (unless they have seats in the balcony). I guess it depends on the show.

Check out Metromix.com for more clubs, but Sound Bar, Funky Bhudda, Red No Five and Crobar are nice. Different nights have different music, so choose wisely!

Does the date of the meetup show up as "fuck" instead of April in my previous post? Hahahaha! I guess it does! It did here, too. Anyways, the meet-up is this Saturday.

[quote name='shieryda']They usually don't have seating at the Scaragon (unless they have seats in the balcony). I guess it depends on the show.

Check out Metromix.com for more clubs, but Sound Bar, Funky Bhudda, Red No Five and Crobar are nice. Different nights have different music, so choose wisely!

Does the date of the meetup show up as "fuck" instead of April in my previous post? Hahahaha! I guess it does! It did here, too. Anyways, the meet-up is this Saturday.[/quote]

Alright thanks.

btw, Scaragon what do you mean by that?

[quote name='D_Icon']Alright thanks.

btw, Scaragon what do you mean by that?[/quote]

We call it that because of how rowdy it gets during metal shows. It's a pretty cool venue, though.

There is also a site called going.com that has a lot of events on it. It is free and it has a lot of info on it. The Aragon is usually open floor (no seats). It holds around 3,300 people if it is full. It all depends on what music you like. Going has pretty much every club on it, so you can choose your music/crowd.

i went to first fridays (1st friday of the month) @ Vision. it was mostly a Hispanic crowd, music was obviously of the Latin variety with quite a few hip hop / dance songs mixed in there.

uhh i wouldn't honestly recommend where i go. but if you don't mind the mostly asian crowd, GINSIDER hosts Fridays at Buzz, Saturdays at Vain. it's hit or miss sometimes, but Vain is pretty nice. no cover. just get the password from the site or you can get annoying texts w/ passwords to your cellphone if you please. annoying texts are good to keep handy if you got a random night ahead of you...at least you know you can go somewhere for free.

if you're the kind that's tryin to get a glimpse of A-Listers, try Manor or RiNo in River North (Buzz is close to there too).

two my friends spin at Jun Bar, 2030 W Division on Saturday nights. it's hip hop mostly i think. you can check them out at CRB.

[quote name='shieryda']I'm taking requests for Odin Sphere, if anybody wants one from CC.[/QUOTE]

Do you by any chance have any copies of Odin Sphere from CC available?

Anyone been to any Best Buys that have :ps3:Folkore for $30 or :ps3: Rainbow Six Vegas for $20? Or marked down at all?

[quote name='Blackout542']Anyone been to any Best Buys that have :ps3:Folkore for $30 or :ps3: Rainbow Six Vegas for $20? Or marked down at all?[/quote]

The cheapest I've seen ps3 games at BB is $42. (30% off bin) You can get virtua fighter for ps3 for $20 this week at CC.

Don't forget the meetup everyone!

Haven't been clubbin' too often lately although I still frequent 720, funkybuddha, and Red No.5.

Club 720 - 5 different floors - 5 different music styles - hip hop, techno, house, latin, and whatever they're playing in the VIP locations. I'm usually in the VIP in the 3rd floor on Tuesdays or Saturdays. You'll occasionally see me dancing the cumbia or merengue w/ some ladies on Tuesday. See you there. :cool:

funky buddha lounge - awesome on open mic on sundays.

Red No. 5 - girls there never disappoint me in looking hot. :drool:

Transit - fun party place where you don't give a shit & just want the world to fcuk off... just make sure you're w/ friends.

Zentra and Le Passage and Whitestar - if you're looking for more upscale overpriced drinks high maintanence Paris Hilton wannabes, they're here but I like'em that way (though I haven't been to Whitestar in ages that I don't know if they're even around).

Republic - only good if you get a VIP table, otherwise, meh.

[quote name='typeRJ']i went to first fridays (1st friday of the month) @ Vision. it was mostly a Hispanic crowd, music was obviously of the Latin variety with quite a few hip hop / dance songs mixed in there.

uhh i wouldn't honestly recommend where i go. but if you don't mind the mostly asian crowd, GINSIDER hosts Fridays at Buzz, Saturdays at Vain. it's hit or miss sometimes, but Vain is pretty nice. no cover. just get the password from the site or you can get annoying texts w/ passwords to your cellphone if you please. annoying texts are good to keep handy if you got a random night ahead of you...at least you know you can go somewhere for free.

if you're the kind that's tryin to get a glimpse of A-Listers, try Manor or RiNo in River North (Buzz is close to there too).

two my friends spin at Jun Bar, 2030 W Division on Saturday nights. it's hip hop mostly i think. you can check them out at CRB.[/quote]

Heh, I'm asian and even I got tired of the asian crowd. :lol: I'm surprised Ginseng's been around for as long as they have. They still fighting w/ Dynasty Entertainment or did they die off?

[quote name='jaykrue']Heh, I'm asian and even I got tired of the asian crowd. :lol: I'm surprised Ginseng's been around for as long as they have. They still fighting w/ Dynasty Entertainment or did they die off?[/quote]

haha yeah i'm asian too. i try not to go to Ginseng's events often, maybe like once every three months. and it's the SAME thing from 4 or 5 years ago. hasn't really changed. only go b/c my friend knows the bartender. can't really beat $5 for 3 beers and 4 shots.

as for Dynasty...i haven't heard anything from them in a long time. didn't they do Dragonfly all the time? i know that the promoters there changed two years ago so it can't be them anymore. i know they're around but i think some them broke off and started their own promotion groups.

[quote name='typeRJ']haha yeah i'm asian too. i try not to go to Ginseng's events often, maybe like once every three months. and it's the SAME thing from 4 or 5 years ago. hasn't really changed. only go b/c my friend knows the bartender. can't really beat $5 for 3 beers and 4 shots.[/QUOTE]

Haha, looks like I'm not missing anything new.:lol:

as for Dynasty...i haven't heard anything from them in a long time. didn't they do Dragonfly all the time? i know that the promoters there changed two years ago so it can't be them anymore. i know they're around but i think some them broke off and started their own promotion groups.

Oh? Interesting. I used to hang out w/ the head of Dynasty until I got out of college & then work kinda made it difficult to keep in touch as I was always traveling. I suppose I'll look him up and see if he's still in the business.

[quote name='jaykrue']Heh, I'm asian and even I got tired of the asian crowd. :lol: I'm surprised Ginseng's been around for as long as they have. They still fighting w/ Dynasty Entertainment or did they die off?[/quote]

haha yeah i'm asian too. i try not to go to Ginseng's events often, maybe like once every three months. and it's the SAME thing from 4 or 5 years ago. hasn't really changed. only go b/c my friend knows the bartender. can't really beat $5 for 3 beers and 4 shots.

[quote name='typeRJ']haha yeah i'm asian too. i try not to go to Ginseng's events often, maybe like once every three months. and it's the SAME thing from 4 or 5 years ago. hasn't really changed. only go b/c my friend knows the bartender. can't really beat $5 for 3 beers and 4 shots.[/QUOTE]

Haha, looks like I'm not missing anything new.:lol:

Oh? Interesting. I used to hang out w/ the head of Dynasty until I got out of college & then work kinda made it difficult to keep in touch as I was always traveling. I suppose I'll look him up and see if he's still in the business.

Last call for the meet-up tomorrow! If anyone wants to bring a video camera, that might be cool. I'm bringing my digital for some photos.

Dunlay's on the Square
3137 W. Logan Blvd.

Easy access from the Blue Line, ya'll!

Last call for the meet-up tomorrow! If anyone wants to bring a video camera, that might be cool. I'm bringing my digital for some photos.

Dunlay's on the Square
3137 W. Logan Blvd.

Easy access from the Blue Line, ya'll!

[quote name='shieryda']Last call for the meet-up tomorrow! If anyone wants to bring a video camera, that might be cool. I'm bringing my digital for some photos.

Dunlay's on the Square
3137 W. Logan Blvd.

Easy access from the Blue Line, ya'll![/QUOTE]

I'll meet you. I will be wearing a white sox hat (white front).

edit: I will be wearing a sox shirt red and blue. No hat.

[quote name='ryosnk']I'll meet you. I will be wearing a white sox hat (white front).[/quote]

I'll be the white guy. haha just kidding...but I am really pale. Anyone know what busses go to Dunalys? I'll probably catch one at the Jefferson Park station. Are there any Metra Stops near Dunalys (on any line)?

[quote name='slowdive21']I'll be the white guy. haha just kidding...but I am really pale. Anyone know what busses go to Dunalys? I'll probably catch one at the Jefferson Park station. Are there any Metra Stops near Dunalys (on any line)?[/QUOTE]

Take the milwaukee cta bus going east and get off at logan or get off the logan stop in the blue line train.

[quote name='shieryda']Last call for the meet-up tomorrow! If anyone wants to bring a video camera, that might be cool. I'm bringing my digital for some photos.

Dunlay's on the Square
3137 W. Logan Blvd.

Easy access from the Blue Line, ya'll![/QUOTE]

Good idea for the videocamera just in case you guys get a little tipsy and the fun REALLY starts to happen. :lol: I'd like to see it. Wish I can go, but I'll be there in spirit.

bread's done
Back