It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='WeaponX2099']what day was he there?[/QUOTE]

Saturday, and only for an hour between 1 and 2. I got there around 11, went straight to Dark Horse, where I had seen he would be signing, and they were handing out tickets for him. Went and saw the Thor panel, got back around 12:45, and some people were pretty upset when they were being told not to bother getting in line because tickets were gone at 11:30. I asked a lady working there how much he charges, because I noticed all the True Blood and Walking Dead people wanted between $30 and $40 each(which is insane because the main stars weren't even there, and plus, I'm cheap :)). The lady replies "What do you mean, how much he costs to appear today?"
"Ummm, no, how much for an autograph?"
"Oh, nothing, he's free. Why, is everyone else charging?"
"Haven't had a chance to walk around these two days, have you?"

Long story short, Kenny fucking Powers signed my baseball! And it didn't cost me a penny! :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::whee:

Quite possibly my favorite item from any convention I've ever been to, and I've been going to Wizard for almost 20 years, back before Wizard even had a magazine, let alone sponsor conventions.

Yeah, charging for autographs is lame.

edit: The only autograph I have (somewhere) is Scott Bakula (from his Quantum Leap days) because he was adopting his child from the NICU where my Mom worked. I hear he is a nice man. =) Glad to hear people had good experiences at the convention.

[quote name='mrosnwo']This actually IS very much game related, as I'm hooked up on Xbox Live for too many hours a week. I second this question. I switched from Comcast to DirecTV when I moved, so I lost Comcast's pretty good internet(allbeit capped as well, but I never came close to it, even with my heavy gaming/netflix useage) and went with AT&T, which is somehow only charging me 9.99 a month for the Elite service, don't ask me how but I'm not complaining. I heard something about this, but I've been busy this week(and this weekend with C2E2!), so I haven't scoped the details and how this may affect me. I know someone who works for Clear, but I still don't trust it enough myself(he's more of a cell phone guy but I think I can get some kind of hookup anyway). Anyone use Clear for internet, and how is it? Or any other provider for that matter besides Comcast/AT&T?[/QUOTE]

I've had CLEAR since January of this year and haven't had any problems with it. I don't game as much as I used to but still get in about 8hrs or so a week and never had any problems. My wife uses netflix more then me since she is at home most of the time and she has never had a problem. when i was on comcast my usage was about 80gb a month and it should be about the same now. There has only been one time when the service went down and by the time I knew about and was going to call in to support it had come back up (it was down maybe an 30 to 40mins.).
Now, I've read online that alot of people have problems but I haven't had any issues and I was tired of Comcast BSing me so I made the switch. Unfortunately that was my only other alternative as I couldn't get AT&T or Verizon in my area (at least according to the website).
In the few weeks, though, they have had some problems, the CEO quit and they are being sued for network throttling so you might want to take that into consideration!

[quote name='mrosnwo']Saturday, and only for an hour between 1 and 2. I got there around 11, went straight to Dark Horse, where I had seen he would be signing, and they were handing out tickets for him. Went and saw the Thor panel, got back around 12:45, and some people were pretty upset when they were being told not to bother getting in line because tickets were gone at 11:30. I asked a lady working there how much he charges, because I noticed all the True Blood and Walking Dead people wanted between $30 and $40 each(which is insane because the main stars weren't even there, and plus, I'm cheap :)). The lady replies "What do you mean, how much he costs to appear today?"
"Ummm, no, how much for an autograph?"
"Oh, nothing, he's free. Why, is everyone else charging?"
"Haven't had a chance to walk around these two days, have you?"

Long story short, Kenny fucking Powers signed my baseball! And it didn't cost me a penny! :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::whee:

Quite possibly my favorite item from any convention I've ever been to, and I've been going to Wizard for almost 20 years, back before Wizard even had a magazine, let alone sponsor conventions.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Darkhorse signings are always free. My brother still has connections with them, so they set aside some "guaranteed signing" tickets for us. :bouncy:

They handed out 100 tickets, so he went through the crowd pretty fast considering most people had him sign 2 items.

He seemed like he actually wanted to be there compared to most of the talent at cons, plus he basically is a nice version of Kenny Powers.

[quote name='Xellos2099']How much WILL it be after 12 month?[/QUOTE]

I think I'm supposed to lose at least a $15 discount on the voice-internet combo package if not more, but (as with my DSL days) I imagine a talk to customer retention could extend some if not all the savings past the initial 12 months. If not... there's always RCN, etc. I just hate the idea of signing up to a two- or three-year contract of enforced higher prices with Comcast after the first 6-12 months of promotional rates; a one-year contract for just the promo time from AT&T U-verse is enough for now.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Can I upgrade to u verse without the tv package? The uverse elite plan seems good for 29.99 when I pay 38.00 for the normal elite.[/QUOTE]

Seems like you can go just with the internet (filter for that alone with the link I gave), as I skipped TV service to get phone service, too. The bandwidth caps sound annoying, but I'm feeling better about staying under the future 250GB monthly U-verse limit after taking some measurements.

Just wondering those with ATT u-verse for internet what type of speeds are you getting, I'm going to switch from Comcast and get the up to 15mps connection. I get 11 down and 4 up at speedtest.net. Thanks in advance for the post of any test results. Also if you have HDTV through them let me know what you think of the quality of the picture.

[quote name='52club']Just wondering those with ATT u-verse for internet what type of speeds are you getting, I'm going to switch from Comcast and get the up to 15mps connection. I get 11 down and 4 up at speedtest.net. Thanks in advance for the post of any test results. Also if you have HDTV through them let me know what you think of the quality of the picture.[/QUOTE]

I actually get close to the stated speeds at just under 12 down and 1.5 up through Speedtest.net's web site, both upon installation and right now. Again, adding a wireless-router WAP to the DMZ (DMZplus mode for 2WIRE's residential gateway) was a real pain to set up, but the network's been working relatively smoothly for me for the last few weeks since doing so.

Went to the north Elston Av. Kmart Wednesday to pick up Crysis 2 and they had 2 copies of Yakuza 3 but i hesitated to pick one up. Went there this evening to get one after having second thoughts but they were gone. The Kmart at Division, Milwaukee, and Ashland still had about 3 left after I bought mine if anyone was interested...

If anyone is interested, Galloping Ghost is having tournaments all day long this Saturday. Virtua Fighter 5, Tekken 6, Super Street Fighter II X Grand Master Challenge, Marvel vs Capcom 3, and Super Street Fighter IV. All are free to enter, with prizes. I may or may not be there, don't know yet.

P.S. Go Cubs!!!

NIU is putting together a free 1 day anime con on April 2nd. They have panels and screenings, and some more things. They will also be having a MVC3 tournament, as well as a retro game tournament. I'm also excited to try out a pachinko machine.

runs 10am to 10pm

more info here http://www.sa.niu.edu/anime/k_generalinfo.html

[quote name='bigsick']NIU is putting together a free 1 day anime con on April 2nd. They have panels and screenings, and some more things. They will also be having a MVC3 tournament, as well as a retro game tournament. I'm also excited to try out a pachinko machine.

runs 10am to 10pm

more info here http://www.sa.niu.edu/anime/k_generalinfo.html[/QUOTE]

Glad to see they finally have one. I tried to make one in 1997 and people thought I was nuts. Is this a Campus Activities Board event, Student Association, or just a club doing it on their own?

[quote name='slowdive21']Glad to see they finally have one. I tried to make one in 1997 and people thought I was nuts. Is this a Campus Activities Board event, Student Association, or just a club doing it on their own?[/QUOTE]

I'm not 100 percent sure but i think its their anime club hosting it.

[quote name='bob101910']Going Blockbuster hunting tomorrow in the Joliet area. Hopefully some game stuff. At least want to get Machete for $5 or less.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that. Both stores only had 5 games at 40% on Friday.

They barely had any games. The one that stuck out the most was Force Unleased 2.
Ended up getting

The Grudge 2 $1
Repomen $3
The Spirit $3
Machete Blu-Ray $12
GIG Rise of the SixString $5 From Best Buy right off 55 by the mall.

Best Buy also had Dark Void, Harry Potter, NUNS2, and a few other games for $7 to $12

[quote name='ryosnk']Hi, anyone know where the mortal kombat tour bus going to be located at in the next few days?[/QUOTE]

I've heard the BestBuy in Burbank (across from Ford City Mall) will be one of the locations...but don't know the dates or time.

It's pretty amazing how much advertising Portal 2 is getting. Between the billboards and CTA buses it sure is getting alot of attention around here. Or maybe it's just me...

[quote name='Josh5890']It's pretty amazing how much advertising Portal 2 is getting. Between the billboards and CTA buses it sure is getting alot of attention around here. Or maybe it's just me...[/QUOTE]

Not just you...I see it everywhere I go. Grabbed my brothers copy of Orange Box a few years back just to play the first one and loved it. I'm happy it's getting so much attention now. I just hope enough people like the product, and that it eclipses the original. Been seeing so many deals but I think I'm just gonna keep my PS3 copy locked in at Amazon. Had a $20 credit to burn there anyway. If anyone else is getting it for the same, hit me up if you want to try out the coop.

[quote name='Josh5890']It's pretty amazing how much advertising Portal 2 is getting. Between the billboards and CTA buses it sure is getting alot of attention around here. Or maybe it's just me...[/QUOTE]

It seems like they're on every bus in the city. I see them everyday when I go to school. I've seen a few billboards here and there too.

[quote name='Blackout']It seems like they're on every bus in the city. I see them everyday when I go to school. I've seen a few billboards here and there too.[/QUOTE]

Yup, just like that Mortal Kombat billboard on Diversey and Western. Hope the marketing blitz is worth it -- and that the game deserves it, too.

[quote name='ryosnk']Hi, anyone know where the mortal kombat tour bus going to be located at in the next few days?[/QUOTE]

Late notice I know but I found this...

This weekend the Mortal Kombat Truck Tour wraps up with a four day stint at the home of Mortal Kombat, Chicago! The first two events are in the early afternoon at the Burbank Town Center in Burbank, IL. Monday night's truck tour event is actually connected with GameStop's Midnight Release of Mortal Kombat at the Brickyard GameStop store.

4/16 & 4/17 - Best Buy #311 (11am - 4pm)
7600 S. Cicero Ave
Burbank Town Center
Burbank, IL 60459

4/18 - GameStop Birckyard store #2865 (8pm - 1am)
4/19 - GameStop Birckyard store #2865 (4pm - 9pm)
6451 W. Diversey Ave #G-9
Chicago, IL 60707​

Apparently Ed Boone is at the Brickyard GameStop right now if any of you are interested.

Kinda wish I had gone now, but still glad I watched the Bulls game instead. Met Boon back in the day at the former Diversions arcade by Lincoln Villiage during the pre-release phase of MK4. They had a "beta" arcade, so to speak, because it had only a few characters in it before the game launched in arcades nationwide. He used to come out every week or two with a new board to install, adding new characters and backgrounds gradually. Good times.

Got to meet Ed Boon and other developers of the game at the gamestop. Overall the place was pack inside the store and at the tour bus. Ed was surprise that I handed him the DC vs MK steelbook to sign he didn't know what kind of case it was and I told him I had to get the version with the joker fatality intact and he was, heck yeah!

Is there any Best Buy around Chicago with Final Fantasy IV The Complete Collection. I haven't found it at the two best buys I went to. Here in the South Burbs.

Did you get to chat it up with Boon or did they rush everyone through the line?

[quote name='Blackout']Did you get to chat it up with Boon or did they rush everyone through the line?[/QUOTE]

I chatted abit with him propably a minute. I didn't want to be a jerk to the others behind me. I got the steelbook and mk shirt signed and a pic with him.

Probably just print it out. They have links to the coupons on the Six Corners site. Also, I found a set of 2 Hawks 2010 Stanley Cup Champion pint glasses on clearance at Jewel for $6.29. Was looking for the plastic tumbler with lid and straw, but they must have moved them (or sold them) to make room for all the Easter candy.

Thinking about another meet-up at the Galloping Ghost soon...

I'm down for another meet up especially since I'm having an arcade itch to play some classics.

Anyone interested on having a Chicago mortal kombat koth on the ps3?

Looking for a local buyer for my Gaming PC, here is a detail list of the high quality parts used to build this machine. I have most of the retail packaging/documentation still as well.

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit (legit full copy with install disk and license code gives easy upgrade path to Windows 7)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116493

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131284

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor BX80562Q6600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

ZALMAN 9500A-LED 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118223

OCZ Reaper HPC 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR10664GK
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227289

EVGA 512-P3-N975-AR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130380

or

EVGA 896-P3-1170-AR GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130475

LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe LightScribe Support - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136153

3x Antec TriCool 120 LED case fan (maxing out the cooling for this case)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209011

If you want to get into Steam this computer will play anything on there.

I'm looking for Cash only (otherwise my wife may kill me), and would be more than willing to let you try it out before you buy. PM me if you are interested. This thing still does great for me at 1080p, but I've got that upgrade fever.

Looking for $375 with the 9800 GT, or $450 with the 275 GTX.

[quote name='ryosnk']I'm down for another meet up especially since I'm having an arcade itch to play some classics.

Anyone interested on having a Chicago mortal kombat koth on the ps3?[/QUOTE]

I'm in on the meetup, as I need to be a regular at the arcade now, cause I'm entering their fighting game ranking system this weekend. If I can be/stay in the top 10, I'll have free admission :)

I'm down on the MK koth thing too. So far only one friend has this game, and I'm sure he would be in it too. That's if Sony ever decides to get PSN back up and running.

I would love to do another meet up at the arcade sometime in May or June.

[quote name='bigsick']id be down to do a KOTH. Im not that good yet though. psn name is bigsick13[/QUOTE]

I'm not good either but I'll be fun.

Has anyone jumped on the Toys R Us Buy 1 get 1 50% off yet? I'm looking to grab MK and Portal 2 at the TRU by Lane Tech.

bread's done
Back