It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
fucking storm! Car got hit with a tree branch driving home, and then when I got out to inspect the damage, I almost was blown over and then the wind whipped something into my face.

Schizo weather as usual here in Chicagoland.

[quote name='TooMuchCoolness']Is galloping ghost the only arcade place in chicago? its way too far :([/QUOTE]

[quote name='Bug42']Not sure, but GG is worth the trip. I have been several times.[/QUOTE]

If we have a meet up again you can at least meet some of the Chicago CAGs. We buy/trade games and guides at meetups as well. It is a little far, but it is an easy drive from the Northern burbs, since you can avoid most of the city traffic.

I think there was some talk of this earlier in the thread, but do you any of you guys use U-verse for internet? How are the speeds?

And we definitely need to go the arcade again. I nominated in the next few weeks. LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN. :)

[quote name='TooMuchCoolness']Is galloping ghost the only arcade place in chicago? its way too far :([/QUOTE]

No, but it's the only one you'll ever want to go to ever again once you've been there! Really, to answer your question, there's Nickel City in Northbrook which isn't horrible but has gone downhill IMO, and a few others, but it's like comparing one of those tiny little eco cars to a fully loaded Escalade. The sheer vast array and variety of GGA blows away the rest.

[quote name='Blackout']I think there was some talk of this earlier in the thread, but do you any of you guys use U-verse for internet? How are the speeds?

And we definitely need to go the arcade again. I nominated in the next few weeks. LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN. :)[/QUOTE]

I've got the AT&T Elite plan for $19.99(usually like $40-45 I think), thru some promo like 8 months or so back. Not bad as far as gaming goes. Doesn't seem as quick as my Comcast was, but doesn't bother me at all. Keep in mind I'm not one of those who use software to measure DL/UL speeds, though. Also, I'm in for the arcade, I'm having withdrawl, it's been a couple months.

[quote name='slowdive21']If we have a meet up again you can at least meet some of the Chicago CAGs. We buy/trade games and guides at meetups as well. It is a little far, but it is an easy drive from the Northern burbs, since you can avoid most of the city traffic.[/QUOTE]

Got some games in my backlog through some clearence scores that I still have sealed that I wouldn't mind trading off(an extra Fable 3 LE being one). Who knows if I'm gonna get to these things, so I might as well bring along some to try and get some stuff I'm more interested in. Last time I didn't take part in the swap portion of the meet-up, since I came in on kinda short notice, the last week or two beforehand. I'm interested in it this time.

Thanks for the input. Do you have multiple people in your place using the Wi-Fi? How are the speeds then? My current internet sucks when I'm just using it, but when other people in my house start too it's unbearably slow.

Also how are download speeds for PS3 (game patches and system updates)? Faster?

I live on the 2nd floor of a 3-flat. My cousin lives in the basement, but will go out to the front porch and grab my router with his laptop. When he does, I don't notice any slowdown. Also, I'm living with my brother right now, and when we both have XBox's going, still, no difference. I have a linksys/cisco router though, not their own wireless option, if that helps. As for PS3, download speeds just suck balls no matter what you have. They sucked on Comcast, they suck on AT&T. I can download the exact same download on the PS3 and 360 at the same time(say, a demo), and I can have the 360 done and the whole trial played through by the time the PS3 demo finished downloading. Always been that way, no matter if I have every other item in my network turned off or not. Friends all say the same thing. I'd assume their network adapter inside the system is just inferior. System updates are dreaded, because I know it's always like 15 minutes or so before I can start something, including netlfix(which sometimes ruins my alotted movie viewing time).

What city do you live in? I live in Lockport (near joliet) and it only takes about 45 minutes.

It's really easy to get to - if you're near the western suburbs - just take 355 to ogden and head east.

I'll be there tomorrow for the tournament - should be fun...

[quote name='ryosnk']Anyone attend the six corners BBQ fest? How was it? Worth attending?[/QUOTE]

2 of the best bbq joints near here weren't even present! The usual over-priced beer tents, and the stupid ticket booths were (of course) there. It was okay for the first year. I expect it to be bigger and better next year.

Play N Trade on Cicero (near Six Corners) is gone. Surprised that they lasted as long as they did with Gamestop right across the street from them.

Dammit that sucks. I wanted to go there to pick up a few cheap Xbox and retro games they had. When did they close?

Not sure about when. I just drove past there today and saw the brown paper up in all the windows. I heard that they may have been selling bootlegged games, so that may be a bit of karma.

Wow that's nuts. Are you talking about selling bootlegs to unknowing customers or just bootlegs on the side?

I think their location was terrible. Not only was it too close to GameStop, but it was on a weird side of Six Corners that no one goes down. Play N Trade has terrible advertising as a whole so that place was heading for permanent closing the day it opened.

[quote name='Blackout']Wow that's nuts. Are you talking about selling bootlegs to unknowing customers or just bootlegs on the side?

[/QUOTE]

I heard it was the former. I'm sure they got an unsuspecting parent or kid every now and then. I wish I could remember when this particular store first opened. I counted 12 empty storefronts just on a half-block of Milwaukee today. They should at least open another Starbucks here, since the one on Irving Park is always so freaking slammed.

Groupon has gameworks all day pass for $20 if anyone is interested.

Also thanks bigsick and shieryda on responding to my BBQ six corners question. Hopefully next year they expand to more food vendors.

[quote name='ryosnk']Anyone attend the six corners BBQ fest? How was it? Worth attending?[/QUOTE]

I went on Saturday. If they have another one next year, they better get more food booths. At times, the line for the handful they had was ridiculous. I loved it and had a great time. But my front door was right there in the fest, so my opinion is probably biased.

Any CAGs have to go without power after these last storms, for the first time in a long time my condo didn't have any power for most of today.

Kept power, luckily. But I'm usually a very sound sleeper, and even I woke up to the storm. It sounded like the thunder was striking the house, it was so loud. Crazy stuff.

Hey anyone familiar with Carol's Pub around Clark and Lawrence?. They have a live band playing Country and some ClassicRock. Anyone know of another Pub/Bar that has a band play live music (Country &/or Rock)?

Thanks for the tip, I can try and convince others to go. Already got the weekend pass myself, can't miss Thursday night. Thats usually when I find everything I want to buy in heavy abundance, and can begin to work pricing. Had to splurge on a Bruce Campbell VIP. Always thought those were a waste of money, but my love for Bruce, plus doing the math on autographs/photo ops, I'm gonna make it work.

^^I'll be there Sunday, but I will be on a buying mission. I told myself I wasn't going to go back to Wizard, but for $15 I'll deal with it. Hopefully I will come home with a few hand picked longboxes.

I tell myself every year that I shouldn't go back to Wizard, or at least cut back to 1 day, and then, every year, I get a little excited to go again. If I had nothing to see there, it would be no big deal, but Saturday is all about Bruce. Not to mention, directly across the street in the hotel, there's the Flashback Weekend show with Robert Englund and Malcolm McDowell going on at the exact same time. Splitting a pass over there with my brother and we're hitting that one in shifts.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Anyone know which best buy in chicagoland area started accepting trade in?[/QUOTE]

I think they all do. However, I called the Tinley Park and Orland Park stores and they only accept trade ins if I include everything including case and manuals. I'm trying to keep the Oblivion 5th Anniversary goodies while trading in just the case.

My other problem is attempting to trade in LBP2 CE (the CE has no UPC on the case, just "NOT FOR RESALE") Hopefully my best buy won't be big pricks about it.

^ I'm saying this now, but I'd take the blizzard.

So, looks like hhgregg is expanding into Chicagoland. There's one going up where the Circuit City used to be on Touhy near Village Crossing (Niles, Skokie). On their website it shows more spots, but I didn't zoom in too far; doesn't look like any within the city limits tho.

No idea. From the looks of their webpage, their VG selection is unimpressive, but I'm sure there's been some threads on CAG here that will show if they've ever had anything decent.

[quote name='dfg']^ I'm saying this now, but I'd take the blizzard.

So, looks like hhgregg is expanding into Chicagoland. There's one going up where the Circuit City used to be on Touhy near Village Crossing (Niles, Skokie). On their website it shows more spots, but I didn't zoom in too far; doesn't look like any within the city limits tho.[/QUOTE]

I know I saw a coming soon sign for one in the Batavia/Geneva area on Randall Road, that's way outside of Chicago though.

Changing the subject, I was at Old Orchard (or whatever corporate shopping mall entity owns and has named it now) for the first time in a while—and still surprised the EB/GS there closed—and they've replaced their food court with a single business that operates like 20 different stands (burgers, sushi, pizza, bakery, bar, even a produce section to take groceries home) and you basically run up a tab and you can't leave 'til you settle. Interesting concept, but a bit pricier than what you'd normally expect to pay for a quick bite while mall shopping. Only the second time I remember a McDonald's disappearing—other time being the one in downtown Evanston that was 86'd when the hotel it was in remodeled. And back to Old Orchard, there's a Coke Freestyle machine in the TCBY, for those of y'all that haven't tried it yet.

[quote name='dfg']Changing the subject, I was at Old Orchard (or whatever corporate shopping mall entity owns and has named it now) for the first time in a while—and still surprised the EB/GS there closed—and they've replaced their food court with a single business that operates like 20 different stands (burgers, sushi, pizza, bakery, bar, even a produce section to take groceries home) and you basically run up a tab and you can't leave 'til you settle. Interesting concept, but a bit pricier than what you'd normally expect to pay for a quick bite while mall shopping. Only the second time I remember a McDonald's disappearing—other time being the one in downtown Evanston that was 86'd when the hotel it was in remodeled. And back to Old Orchard, there's a Coke Freestyle machine in the TCBY, for those of y'all that haven't tried it yet.[/QUOTE]

Was just there on Sunday -- and had no idea these changes were made. Thanks for the heads-up... and for telling me where to find another Coke Freestyle machine!

[quote name='ryosnk']What is awesome about a coke freestyle machine? Sounds tasty!!!![/QUOTE]

It's basically a fountain machine that has over 100 different flavors of Coke products, many of which you can't find bottled (Peach Sprite, anyone?). Last time, I think I had a lime Fanta. I'm also a fan of Lime Coke (which was sold bottled a few summers ago).

[quote name='dfg']It's basically a fountain machine that has over 100 different flavors of Coke products, many of which you can't find bottled (Peach Sprite, anyone?). Last time, I think I had a lime Fanta. I'm also a fan of Lime Coke (which was sold bottled a few summers ago).[/QUOTE]

They have one of those in the the downtown Naperville Five Guys, that's the first time I have ever seen one!!!! :applause:

[quote name='dfg']It's basically a fountain machine that has over 100 different flavors of Coke products, many of which you can't find bottled (Peach Sprite, anyone?). Last time, I think I had a lime Fanta. I'm also a fan of Lime Coke (which was sold bottled a few summers ago).[/QUOTE]

My brain is going crazy with the coke tasting possibilities. Might have to go check out the coke fountain in old orchard mall next time the wife wants to go to Nordstrom.

Thanks for the info.

Amazing, I was just coming on here to post about the HH Gregg I saw on Touhy yesterday. Was wondering if anyone had any opinions of it. I have next to zero hope for it, really, as far as CAG-type shopping goes. We shall see.

Also, if anyone is in the area, I'll be going here: http://www.zurkopromotions.com/Latenight.htm

My sister's rollerderby team is set up there, so I'll be around that area most of the time. Come by and say hi. Plus, maybe find some cheap merch.

Seriously we should plan for the next meetup already. Its always fun hanging out with you all and just bull shitting about games and other nerdy stuff.

I say a meetup on any Saturday in September at galloping ghost in LaGrange, IL.

Well, since the last big meetup we had was 9/11/10, and we're approaching that date again, I say we shoot for the same weekend, which would be the 10th this year. Thoughts, suggestions? I'm in, I say let's do it.

bread's done
Back