It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dpac']Nice price! How did you get that rate -- as a new customer? Wondering how to get off local phone service & stick with just U-Verse internet at the same speed.[/QUOTE]

I think it's $24.99 for the first 12 months, otherwise it's $48.00

[quote name='TooMuchCoolness']I think it's $24.99 for the first 12 months, otherwise it's $48.00[/QUOTE]

I'll need some leverage with AT&T / U-Verse to switch services at a good price, so thanks for the info / feedback. You're Too Cool! :cool:

Hey Guys I got a quick question for you.

I'm thinking about driving to that Video Game Etc store located on 4353 N Harlem Ave, Norridge, IL 60706 with some friends cause I got some spare graduation money to spend.

Its about 40 minutes away and I was just wondering how their retro game selection is? From the reviews I've read their selection is just as good as People Play games and the prices are pretty reasonable for the most part. Just wondering how everybody's thoughts are about this store. Thanks :D

[quote name='Metal Militia']Hey Guys I got a quick question for you.

I'm thinking about driving to that Video Game Etc store located on 4353 N Harlem Ave, Norridge, IL 60706 with some friends cause I got some spare graduation money to spend.

Its about 40 minutes away and I was just wondering how their retro game selection is? From the reviews I've read their selection is just as good as People Play games and the prices are pretty reasonable for the most part. Just wondering how everybody's thoughts are about this store. Thanks :D[/QUOTE]

Last time I was there a few months ago their selection was abit thin on what I was looking for, which was turbografx, Saturn and neo geo stuff. But they do have decent prices overall.

[quote name='Metal Militia']Is anybody going to this year's Video Game Summit? Here is their website. I've never been to this, but its about 30 minutes away from me so I might check it out.

http://avc.atari-users.net/VGS.html[/QUOTE]
I am normally not negative about anything but this convention was so bad last year you couldn't pay me to go back.

[quote name='newtype06']E3, apparently, may leave LA next year... and one of the possible new locations include Chicago. Please, pretty please, I hope that's the case.[/QUOTE]

It would only be temporary until construction on the L.A football stadium is finished. Even if it comes to Chicago (McCormik place would be great), we still can't get in.

[quote name='bigsick']I am normally not negative about anything but this convention was so bad last year you couldn't pay me to go back.[/QUOTE]

What was bad about it?

[quote name='ryosnk']What was bad about it?[/QUOTE]

It was pretty much just one room with old systems that consisted of ataris mostly. you just sat down and played whatever game they had in. that was the whole convention.

All these years and I can't believe I just poked my head in this thread. North suburbs represent! Anyway, when is the next meet up? Also, I'm Meta4ik on XBL and PSN so drop a line sometime.

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone on this thread knew anything about the Swap-O-Rama off of 294 in Alsip (I think). I'm going to be in that area this weekend, so I didn't know if it was worth hitting up or not.

[quote name='TheHeef']Hey all, I was wondering if anyone on this thread knew anything about the Swap-O-Rama off of 294 in Alsip (I think). I'm going to be in that area this weekend, so I didn't know if it was worth hitting up or not.[/QUOTE]

It's an alright flea market, haven't been there in years but that was before i collected. But, you should find some solid finds possibly.

I drove passed said Swap-o-rama last week when I was en route to pick up an Xbox kiosk I bought off Craig's list. Anyway I've never been but I frequent the Maxwell street market in Chicago and the 7 Mile Fair in Wisconsin. As for meet up I'm down as long as everyone promises not to be a serial killer or face eating cannibal.

[quote name='TheHeef']Hey all, I was wondering if anyone on this thread knew anything about the Swap-O-Rama off of 294 in Alsip (I think). I'm going to be in that area this weekend, so I didn't know if it was worth hitting up or not.[/QUOTE]

It's gone to shit over the past 10 years. I still have fun going though. Never know what you are going to see. Watch your pockets

[quote name='bob101910']It's gone to shit over the past 10 years. I still have fun going though. Never know what you are going to see. Watch your pockets[/QUOTE]

That bad, huh? Well, I'm still up in the air about it, but considering I'm in the area for a bachelor party, I can't guarantee I'll be up for it anyway in the morning.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']In the middle of Wicker. Shit, on a Saturday I'll stay up there til 4am.[/QUOTE]

No doubt. A meet-up at this place could get ugly...

Yesterday, on the way to the Double Door, I stopped into Emporium. It has a good amount of games, all old school. Less games than Galloping Ghost but they have liquor. And we could hit up exchange and the other trade in store in the area.

[quote name='meta460085']All these years and I can't believe I just poked my head in this thread. North suburbs represent! Anyway, when is the next meet up? Also, I'm Meta4ik on XBL and PSN so drop a line sometime.[/QUOTE]

Hey man I'm in northside too, around the Skokie/Niles/Morton Grove area, glad to hear other cheap gamers are around here.

I'm the sous chef at Francesca's Forno at North/Milwaukee/Damen. I'd be down for a meetup, and if everyone wanted to start their night off here at the restaurant, I'll use my manager comp allowance to give a discount on the food bill. Then we could all walk over to emporium barcade and start the drinkin and gaming!!!! If anyone is serious about planning a meet-up, PM me

I'd be down to come in from the west burbs...mid to end July works for me.

I'll be at Lolla working the first weekend in Aug, but after that August doesn't look too bad for me either.

I got some city friends that wanna try out Emporeum too

I live in north suburbs and I'd be down for meet up but work is hectic now since we lost a tech and don't know my schedule more than 4 or 5 days ahead :whistle2:(

[quote name='meta460085']I live in north suburbs and I'd be down for meet up but work is hectic now since we lost a tech and don't know my schedule more than 4 or 5 days ahead :whistle2:([/QUOTE]
Can we get a Facebook group going for members of this thread if there isn't one already, if there's one already can I has details?

[quote name='Metal Militia']Anybody going to the Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses October 25th at the Chicago Theatre? I bought my tickets today. :D[/QUOTE]
it looks cool (and i'm a HUGE zelda fan), but it is a bit pricey for me.

Went to emporium 2 nights ago. Its pretty cool. They need more games, and several that I wanted to play were out of order. It was only their first week being open, so they have a few kinks to work out. But its all craft beers so I was happy I could play marvel vs. capcom while sipping on a coney island human blockhead. Overall, its no galloping ghost, but cool to have a block from my work.

[quote name='Metal Militia']Anybody going to the Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses October 25th at the Chicago Theatre? I bought my tickets today. :D[/QUOTE]

I wasn't going to due to not being able to afford it but I just won tickets from a radio station, so I'll see you there!

I'm finding it very difficult to game in this heat. Got to the point where one of my box fans is now pointed right at my PS3. Stupid nature.

[quote name='TheHeef']I'm finding it very difficult to game in this heat. Got to the point where one of my box fans is now pointed right at my PS3. Stupid nature.[/QUOTE]

I watched four DVDs straight on my PS3 during yesterday's 100 degre fun. It really started to hum...loudly...during the third movie. Made it through without any issues.

[quote name='TheHeef']I'm finding it very difficult to game in this heat. Got to the point where one of my box fans is now pointed right at my PS3. Stupid nature.[/QUOTE]

Maybe a good time to invest in an air conditioner? ;)

[quote name='pezmanmike']I wasn't going to due to not being able to afford it but I just won tickets from a radio station, so I'll see you there![/QUOTE]

What station was it? I love radio contests!

[quote name='KevinMassacre']Went to emporium 2 nights ago. Its pretty cool. They need more games, and several that I wanted to play were out of order.[/QUOTE]

This is my main concern. The website lists some decent games, but if they don't work, then it's kind of a let-down. Especially for people who don't drink.

Possible dates for meet-up:

Sunday, July 15
Sunday, July 29
Saturday, August 11 (my personal preference)

Unless you all would like to do a different Saturday in July without me.:)

[quote name='mrosnwo']Maybe a good time to invest in an air conditioner? ;)[/QUOTE]

Found a slightly better (and cheaper) alternative. My wife bought one of those 10' diameter pools that's about the size of a jacuzzi. Makes the heat a lot more bearable.

Any of those dates would probably work for me. Got worried about the Aug 11 one, but turns out it's the 18th I know I'm busy on so far. You guys decide, and I'll try and keep the date open for this. Even if we want to do something smaller, I'm down too. I live about 5-10 minutes away from this place so I should be able to pop in most days when I'm free.

Club Nintendo posted a discount code 15% off "Bokoblin" if anyone else is interested in tickets.

[quote name='slowdive21']What station was it? I love radio contests![/QUOTE]

96.7. It's based out of Crest Hill so I'm not sure it goes into the city. The contest was good though; the DJ would play music from an NES game and if you guessed the game you win the tix. Mine was Final Fantasy.

I'm picking up my tix next week. As much as I want to go, I was also entertaining the idea of selling them to put towards a Vita or WiiU...

bread's done
Back