It was bound to happen: GameStop not able to fill all PS3 pre-orders

[quote name='CitizenB']How did you pay? I should have asked that first.

If Credit card, or EB/GS card. They will just refunded the money back onto your card.[/QUOTE]

$100 cash. $529.99 Credit Card, returning it to the credit card will work just fine.

[quote name='anubis20']$100 cash. $529.99 Credit Card, returning it to the credit card will work just fine.[/QUOTE]

Tell them you want your money back with interest or you'll have Strell bang their moms.

[quote name='anubis20']$100 cash. $529.99 Credit Card, returning it to the credit card will work just fine.[/QUOTE]

They'll give the hundred back in cash, and refund the 529.99 on the CC.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']It's kind of a slap in the face to get a call and say to come pick up "resistance fall of man" but tell you they will try to get you a system before christmas. I was not told I was getting the $20 free game either.[/QUOTE]
You should go pick up Resistance and make a scene about not having a PS3 to play it on.

[quote name='whoknows']You should go pick up Resistance and make a scene about not having a PS3 to play it on.[/QUOTE]

Should I throw myself on the floor and throw a hissy fit?

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Should I throw myself on the floor and throw a hissy fit?[/QUOTE]
Make sure you kick over the magazine rack while doing it

[quote name='whoknows']Make sure you kick over the magazine rack while doing it[/QUOTE]

I was thinking more of telling them to suck my glitter filled fuck rod and tell them I will never shop there again, only to show up a few days later acting like nothing happened and wanting to pick up my Wii.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']glitter filled fuck rod[/QUOTE]

I will use that description for the rest of my life to explain the plot of "Legend of the Overfiend." Nicely done.

[quote name='Strell']C'mon. Did it really take a second person to explain what I said?

:p

:)[/QUOTE]

Of course it did! ;)

But this really isn't going to hurt eBay except that there might be a few less listed and thus less $$ in auction fees for them. (Now the sellers who can't deliver on their promises are another issue). I got a flier in the mail from eBay a few days ago that lists all the hot items one might want to sell for Christmas. You betcha the PS3 was on that list (of course so was the Xbox 360). Anyway, so much for some sort of "deal" between eBay and Sony to restrict PS3 sales :rofl:.

[quote name='io']Of course it did! ;)

But this really isn't going to hurt eBay except that there might be a few less listed and thus less $$ in auction fees for them. (Now the sellers who can't deliver on their promises are another issue). I got a flier in the mail from eBay a few days ago that lists all the hot items one might want to sell for Christmas. You betcha the PS3 was on that list (of course so was the Xbox 360). Anyway, so much for some sort of "deal" between eBay and Sony to restrict PS3 sales :rofl:.[/quote]

I'll bet Strell's in the middle of typing up his two-page response to this comment. :)

[quote name='whoknows']You should go pick up Resistance and make a scene about not having a PS3 to play it on.[/QUOTE]

You know, even before this preorder fiasco news hit, I was wondering what retailers were going to do with the flood of PS3 games they will be carrying that no one will be buying? I mean, aren't there going to be WAY more games out than systems? If Sony doesn't get their act together I could see retailers contracting the PS3 shelf space to make room for the games for systems that are actually available to buy.

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']I'll bet Strell's in the middle of typing up his two-page response to this comment. :)[/QUOTE]
Now that you said that I bet he is :lol:

I have no clue what I could be typing up.

I hate eBay. I hate Paypal. They should die.

There, that took ...one...two...nine words.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']I was thinking more of telling them to suck my glitter filled fuck rod and tell them I will never shop there again, only to show up a few days later acting like nothing happened and wanting to pick up my Wii.[/QUOTE]

lol!

I called them back.

Our store is getting 6 total systems instead of 8, and each preorder (all 8 of us) were asked if we'd like the first shipment or the second (a week later). By waiting a week, we'd get a $20 voucher towards any used DVD or game.

I took the first shipment. No one can be pissed at GS. It's definitely a Sony thing.

Just an excerpt from my unintelligible rant posted on Gamespot:

Firstly, don't feel bad for the EB/GS employees. They'll most likely get their systems. (we were supposed to give up our 360's, but were instead given them and told to keep quiet)

Secondly, this is nothing new. EB/GS dropped the ball on their 360 shipments as well. Combine that with their botched Gears of War release, ever declining trade-in values, and their corporate focus on operations (i.e. treating the customer as secondary) and they're really doing the consumer a disservice. I worked as an ASM for EB Games for five years and have recently left for Best Buy. Why? Because I couldn't stand disappointing the customer any more. I made a lot of friends through great customer service, something that ended very abruptly when Gamestop took over.

The worst part about this slash in allotment? I can almost guarantee that it won't be as simple as the earliest pre-orders get their systems first. As a standard, the company often fills the orders that have the most money down and the most games/accessories ordered first. (full-pays are given preference...so if you have the money now I suggest paying it off ahead of time) Also, friends of management and regulars often receive preference and privilage above the walk-in customers. This is something that I fought my entire stint at EB and it only got worse when GS took over. As someone who prides myself on honesty and integrity, I can honestly say that Gamestop has little of both. Sure, Best Buy's tendency to profile customers is a bit frustrating sometimes, but at least they put said customers FIRST and make sure that issues of this nature are handled fairly. (us employees were told that if we want a PS3 or a Wii we would have to camp in line like everyone else)

P.S. Long time lurker of CAG. You guys are alright. :applause:

Oh, a quick edit. I was offered a PS3 by my previous employer BEFORE they actually went up for pre-sale. My former manager called me (I had already left for Best Buy) and asked me if I would like one. My reply was to the effect of "now that's not very fair, is it?" And, to be honest, I really don't want one anyway. I'm planning on camping if I can find a spot after work on Thursday for the sole purpose of giving it to a friend.

[quote name='JJSP']I called them back.

Our store is getting 6 total systems instead of 8, and each preorder (all 8 of us) were asked if we'd like the first shipment or the second (a week later). By waiting a week, we'd get a $20 voucher towards any used DVD or game.

I took the first shipment. No one can be pissed at GS. It's definitely a Sony thing.[/QUOTE]

Now if that is really, truly, going to happen (2nd shipment one week later) I would take it then, no problem. The thing is, I wouldn't count on that so if they ask me I'll probably say I want it right away. Plus, what is "one week later" - looks like Black Friday to me and I don't want to deal with any shopping then. I haven't gotten up the nerve to call them yet (only to find out I'm not getting one). There were only 8 at my store too, and I'm not sure where I fell on the list.

The Wii, on the other hand, I must get next Sunday. My kids are getting pretty hyped up about it (I took them to EB to play it yesterday for the first time), AND they get the entire Thanksgiving week off - so starting the day it is released they have 8 days with no school. Good timing Nintendo! (I'm serious - if I was a kid I'd be thrilled with that arrangement). In fact, I might end up having to get some more games as Zelda and Wii Sports might not be enough for them for all that time :lol:.

Called my gamestop earlier tonight, i was #4 in line for preorders. The guy said i was #1 on the list for second shipment (for a 60gb) which is due before X-mas, they cut 16 preorders down to 8, but I'm going out of the country on Dec 17th till after New Years =/. They're getting a total of 8 systems and he doesn't know exactly how many of each system they're getting but since i'm on the second list, i assume they're only getting 3 or less 60gb's. But he also said there are two 20gb's right now without reserves, so if i wanted, i could switch from the 60 to the 20 and get it on launch. But he kept saying that he didn't know exactly how many of each system they're getting but then how could he guarantee me a 20gb on launch? and i guess he wasn't smart enough to figure out that they're only getting less than four 60gbs.

Oh god, this is lovely news.

Now I gotta deal with dumbasses who are gonna be pissed off at me because their precious PS3 didn't come in. "I'm just a fuckin grunt, go bitch at Sony." I will want to say. Instead I will have to say "Sorry sir." (Imagine this like I'm performing fellatio on the fellow because that's the only way to calm him down.) "You will have to wait for your PS3, don't kill me."

I'm going to work with a 9 iron on Friday.

Wow, having my phone turned off today sucked...missed my EB call and missed my friend bitching at me. We waited together, and apparently they're getting 8 60gig models and 2 20gig ones...I was #8, my friend was #9. Sooo, it looks like i'm still getting what i ordered, but he's gotta decide whether to wait or grab a 20gig.

I was actually told this a few weeks ago at my EB when I reserved a PS3 game. He asked what number I was (7) and then told me that it was a very good spot to be in because the numbers were expected to cut in half for the company.

I never really bothered to say anything since it still depends on the specific store and it is still possible to get all the reserves in one store.

I've had numerous bad experiences with pre-orders, and, in way of hardware, have never considered them an option since.

I'm giving a call to the manager today. I called back and talked to some pee-on, who had no idea what was going on.

But according to him (and kind've the impression I got from the manager), is that it doesn't matter what place in line you have. So I don't know what the deal is.

Two grandmothers were in line, and I'm sure they won't mind to wait until a little later, but the others in line were either for sure ebaying, or really that hardcore. I think there'll probably be 5 guys for 4 systems on Friday.

Both Sony and GS really dropped the ball on this one.

Just a quick overview of what you can do to increase your chances of not getting fucked on launch day:

-Pay the system off in full
-Pre-order as many games and accessories as you can (you don't have to actually pick them up with your system, just cancel them later)
-Try like hell to make a friend in a management position
-If you already have a large chunk paid off (like $1000 or so) and it seems like they're leaning toward bumping you, threaten to take your business elsewhere

Remember, just because you were #X in line that DOESN'T mean that you will be treated as such. The company is always looking to get the BIGGEST PAYOUT on day one (they already have your money via a pre-order but that isn't added to their SALES totals until you actually pick it up) and the employees are always looking for what will most benefit themselves. (i.e. getting their systems at the expense of the customer)

[quote name='PRMega']I'm surprised people aren't a little more pissed off about getting 'downgraded' from the 60gb to 20gb. The hard drive isn't replaceable like the 360's, right? Granted, 20gb is still quite a bit, but that's something that would irritate me if I were getting one.[/quote]

And I thought the 20 GB didn't include the built in Wi-Fi...Although I could be wrong.

[quote name='Curly21029']-If you already have a large chunk paid off (like $1000 or so) and it seems like they're leaning toward bumping you, threaten to take your business elsewhere[/quote]
Good list of suggestions, but empty threats aren't going to do much. What are you going to do, go pay 4x the retail cost on eBay? They've kinda got you bewteen a rock and a hardplace thanks to Sony's unfulfilled promises and a retail company that probably should've learned from last year's mistakes.

[quote name='daroga']Good list of suggestions, but empty threats aren't going to do much. What are you going to do, go pay 4x the retail cost on eBay? They've kinda got you bewteen a rock and a hardplace thanks to Sony's unfulfilled promises and a retail company that probably should've learned from last year's mistakes.[/QUOTE]

It's not an "empty threat." You could easily wait at another store besides EB/GS. This has nothing to do with Sony and everything to do with the shady practices of EB/GS. If you haven't already, please read my post on page six of this thread.

[quote name='Number83']And I thought the 20 GB didn't include the built in Wi-Fi...Although I could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

Well, Sony has flip-flopped a hundred times with their configurations so how can anyone really be sure? Last I checked though, Wi-Fi was 60Gb version only.

Oh, and there have been reports of swapping the PS3 hard drive....although I'm unsure of how easily this is done. In any case it HAS been accomplished. (and if a 267MB gamesave for Tony Hawk's Project 8 is any indication we'll all be upgrading our 60GB hard drives soon enough)

[quote name='Curly21029']It's not an "empty threat." You could easily wait at another store besides EB/GS. This has nothing to do with Sony and everything to do with the shady practices of EB/GS. If you haven't already, please read my post on page six of this thread.[/quote]True enough, and I don't question the shady practices of this and other retailers. My point is, at this moment, if you don't make your PS3 purchase there, there's probably about 50 people waiting to take your spot, even if you were going to drop $1000. "I'll take my business elsewhere" is efective when supply outdoes demand, which is not the case right now. For Nov. 17th their corporate reply would likely be, "You want to wait in the cold for 36 hours to get a game system? That's fine. We'll sell yours to the next chump that walks through the door."

What might have more of an impact is an all-out boycott of the company (in theory, I'm not sure I've ever read about a boycott of any sort working to acheive anything good in practice), and I don't doubt that a lot of people not as "plugged in" as some of us are who find their PS3 not there on Nov. 17 may be doing just that. The question for hindsight is, who will look like the bad guy in this situation, Sony, EB/GS, or both?

[quote name='daroga']True enough, and I don't question the shady practices of this and other retailers. My point is, at this moment, if you don't make your PS3 purchase there, there's probably about 50 people waiting to take your spot, even if you were going to drop $1000. "I'll take my business elsewhere" is efective when supply outdoes demand, which is not the case right now. For Nov. 17th their corporate reply would likely be, "You want to wait in the cold for 36 hours to get a game system? That's fine. We'll sell yours to the next chump that walks through the door."

What might have more of an impact is an all-out boycott of the company (in theory, I'm not sure I've ever read about a boycott of any sort working to acheive anything good in practice), and I don't doubt that a lot of people not as "plugged in" as some of us are who find their PS3 not there on Nov. 17 may be doing just that. The question for hindsight is, who will look like the bad guy in this situation, Sony, EB/GS, or both?[/QUOTE]

Agreed

I have my unit paid off and have 4 games reserved and they could seem to care less. They are in between a rock and a hard place and I'm sure they didn't mean for this to happen. They can't just bump someone that they already told would get one and then call him back and say sorry no we didn't get you one.

[quote name='daroga']True enough, and I don't question the shady practices of this and other retailers. My point is, at this moment, if you don't make your PS3 purchase there, there's probably about 50 people waiting to take your spot, even if you were going to drop $1000. "I'll take my business elsewhere" is efective when supply outdoes demand, which is not the case right now. For Nov. 17th their corporate reply would likely be, "You want to wait in the cold for 36 hours to get a game system? That's fine. We'll sell yours to the next chump that walks through the door."

What might have more of an impact is an all-out boycott of the company (in theory, I'm not sure I've ever read about a boycott of any sort working to acheive anything good in practice), and I don't doubt that a lot of people not as "plugged in" as some of us are who find their PS3 not there on Nov. 17 may be doing just that. The question for hindsight is, who will look like the bad guy in this situation, Sony, EB/GS, or both?[/QUOTE]

Well, your right partially. If you are an excellent customer, you aren't just losing your PS3, they are losing a customer (taking your business elsewhere usually means your not coming back period, not just for the PS3). So, yeah, they will sell their PS3 no problem, but what happens to the thousands of dollars over your life you spend there that Gamestop no longer has. If they do that enough times, it will hurt them.

I guess I'll call today and find out my status since I didn't get one yesterday. I was #3 in line though and I did put 1/2 of the money down so I'm hoping I'm still OK. Also, I could have sworn that my number in line was in the top corner of my reciept but I'll have to double check when I get home tonight.

[quote name='lordxixor101']Well, your right partially. If you are an excellent customer, you aren't just losing your PS3, they are losing a customer (taking your business elsewhere usually means your not coming back period, not just for the PS3). So, yeah, they will sell their PS3 no problem, but what happens to the thousands of dollars over your life you spend there that Gamestop no longer has. If they do that enough times, it will hurt them.[/quote]True. That's kinda what I was getting at with the boycott thing, but worded it about as poorly as I could. A one-time business-elsewhere move means nothing to them. A lifetime business-elsewhere move by one person means a little to them. A lifetime business-elsewhere move by many people will hurt them.

Well, this will get interesting. My gamestop emphatically told everyone who preordered that the order didn't matter, and it was first come first serve on launch day. Hopefully this will be reversed, since I was first. Will call and find out soon enough.

Whew. My GameStop got it's order cut from 8 to 6. I was #3 in line so it looks like I will still be getting my system on Friday. She did say I should speak to the district manager who would be in around 4 p.m. to confirm it but it's looking good.

[quote name='Curly21029']
Oh, and there have been reports of swapping the PS3 hard drive....although I'm unsure of how easily this is done. In any case it HAS been accomplished. (and if a 267MB gamesave for Tony Hawk's Project 8 is any indication we'll all be upgrading our 60GB hard drives soon enough)[/quote]
Where did you hear that? I find it a little hard to believe that a Tony Hawk game would need a save file that big.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']They are in between a rock and a hard place and I'm sure they didn't mean for this to happen. [/quote]
Thank you for some sanity.

EBGS did pre-orders according to the numbers Sony told them the would have. The pre-orders that everyone was whining about taking so long to happen finally happened when EBGS was assured the numbers they had been given were accurate, and they would not be setting themselves up and wind up disappointing their customer base.

Guess who cut their numbers because they realized they didn't have enough? hint: It's a four-letter japanese name.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']If you aren't getting one they WONT call you but if you are then they call to make a appointment to pick it up. That's what my gamestop told me :roll: Bitches[/QUOTE]

Uuuuh... huh? So if I didn't get a call by now I am fucked?

[quote name='Diiz']Uuuuh... huh? So if I didn't get a call by now I am fucked?[/QUOTE]
I think they are supposed to call you by Wednesday, so if you don't get a call by then that might mean you don't get one.

Either way, it doesn't hurt to call and ask them.

I think some stores are probably better than others at making calls. Ours was apparently very good and called everyone (in person) yesterday. Others...maybe not so good.

[quote name='Diiz']Uuuuh... huh? So if I didn't get a call by now I am fucked?[/quote]

This can't be right as I'm 1st on the list at my GS and I haven't received a call yet...

bread's done
Back