Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if it has been posted yet, but it appears that Best Buy will be getting the Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star Noble Phantasm Edition as they have put up the listings for it. However, it seems to have the grayed-out "coming soon" button rather than the option to order it now.

Vita Listing

PS4 Listing
Thanks, been waiting for this listing. I hope we get all those DLCs that Japan are receiving.

Do you guys usually choose USPS or UPS shipping on NISA? They're essentially the same price.
use USPS. UPS delays packages often, Bestbuy sent me a package using 2nd day air and it was out for delivery yesterday and somehow it went back to local hub and it stayed there all day today, now I need to wait until monday. That's like 3-4days of delay. UPS has worst service.

Do you guys usually choose USPS or UPS shipping on NISA? They're essentially the same price.
I typically use USPS over UPS when prices are the same. I've hardly see things from UPS take less than 5 business days (a week) unless it's coming from say a Best Buy distribution center. First class and Priority mail gets delivered in 3 days quite often.

Heads up! Atelier Shallie LE is now down to 6-10% stock.

I just placed my order. Ended up going with the standard edition of Rose in the Twilight to get to $75 for free shipping.

use USPS. UPS delays packages often, Bestbuy sent me a package using 2nd day air and it was out for delivery yesterday and somehow it went back to local hub and it stayed there all day today, now I need to wait until monday. That's like 3-4days of delay. UPS has worst service.
depends on where you live in my experience. My local ups just delivered pokemon alpha sapphire 2 days after ordering it. While my local post office is a complete gamble. Sometimes they will leave it in the mail box, sometimes they bring it to the house and sometimes they do neither and it sits in the post office for a month like my ps2 memory cards and only magically appears after I had amazon send me another pack. Needed them for the .hack games since 3 of those can fill up one care on its own D:

Heads up! Atelier Shallie LE is now down to 6-10% stock.

I just placed my order. Ended up going with the standard edition of Rose in the Twilight to get to $75 for free shipping.
>Ended up going with the standard edition

I'd almost rather have those shitty newsposts than see this kinda bullshit ITT.

Got my 7th Dragon III Code: VFD from Best Buy in the mail today and it was surprisingly a Launch Edition. Also surprisingly, it came in a crappy bubble mailer, yet only had a slightly dinged corner. I can live with that. Glad I jumped on that one day Cyber Monday sale.

Got my 7th Dragon III Code: VFD from Best Buy in the mail today and it was surprisingly a Launch Edition. Also surprisingly, it came in a crappy bubble mailer, yet only had a slightly dinged corner. I can live with that. Glad I jumped on that one day Cyber Monday sale.
I really doubt there will ever be anything other than the launch edition...are there normal editions?

depends on where you live, i know ups will either skip ur place if they are busy and just say no one was home or they will just drop it off at usps and have them deliver it the next day, happens to me alot with amazon orders with them getting dropped off at usps and waiting another day

Finally finished Trails In the Sky. Great game. On to SC. 

Are we getting the third one here? I'd rather not google this and spoil random shit for myself. 

Are we getting the third one here? I'd rather not google this and spoil random shit for myself.
Yes. It's currently set for Spring 2017. However the game will only be released on PC (Steam & GOG). Falcom got rid of their PSP dev kit and can't help with any issues anymore and XSeed doesn't have a kit either. Plus their only programmer, Sara, is contractual I think and only/mostly works on their PC releases. As for the Evolution "remaster", it's very unlikely because it's licensing hell due to the amount of companies involved (3 or 4) and would substantially increase costs even if they were able to bring over the Evolution version.

Trails in the Sky the 3rd is not a direct sequel as FC & SC are the complete arc. The 3rd sets up the meta story for the rest of the series and the main characters aren't Estelle and Joshua. It still takes place shortly after Trails in the Sky SC and there are plenty of returning characters though.

>Ended up going with the standard edition

I'd almost rather have those shitty newsposts than see this kinda bullshit ITT.
The Giant stress reliever was very tempting. But it would have doubled the price and like I said, I wasn't that interested. But it was only $8 more than paying for shipping so I figured why not for the standard edition. xp

The Giant stress reliever was very tempting. But it would have doubled the price and like I said, I wasn't that interested. But it was only $8 more than paying for shipping so I figured why not for the standard edition. xp
Yeah none of those games (Firefly, Yomawari, This one) have had CEs I wanted, though I almost wanted that tumbler for the Yomawari one. I'll gladly pick it up at $20 though.

Finally finished Trails In the Sky. Great game. On to SC.

That's what I've been reading. Sometime Q1 of 2017. I'm close to finishing it as well and will probably start SC as well. Got the Legend of Heroes bug after platinuming Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2. I can see myself sitting and having to wait on TitS 3, and Cold Steel 3.

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Yakuza Kiwami coming next summer 2017.

Link

This is the Yakuza 1/2 HD remake. I never was able to play Yakuza 2 so this is a good thing.

Ni No Kuni II, it's happening.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite, it's happening.

Parapa The Rapper, Loco Roco, and Patapon high-definition remasters for the PS4, they're happening.

Wipeout high-definition remaster collection for the PS4, it's happening.

A lot of exciting news coming out of PSX.

it better not be digital only.
Well Yakuza 0 is a great opportunity to show Sega physical for Yakuza is worthwhile in the West.

So I hope all the people who whined about Yakuza 5 being digital only put their money where their mouths are.

UMvC3 also coming back to PSN Store, XB1 and Steam in March. Better sell my copies soon.

Akuma confirmed, and 5 other DLC chars for SFV hinted.

MvC Infinite gameplay shown tonight.

Wow, Sony is killing it!

Ys Origin was announced for PS4 and Vita. Not XSeed, though, and prob DD-only.
Any chance for an ASIA English release then? Otherwise I'll probably have to wait on a sale or not at all(depending on my memory card space). The game did look rather good though, so maybe LRG can work something out at some point.

Ys Origin was announced for PS4 and Vita. Not XSeed, though, and prob DD-only.
It's being ported by DotEMU. It's hard to say what to expect from them. Their record is... very mixed. It doesn't seem like they do enough to take into the account the platform they're porting to and change things accordingly. So it probably depends on who's having them port it.

Personally I'd rather have heard news on Ys VIII. I'm surprised we haven't had any for that yet. Actually I guess I'm not that surprised. Falcom is a helicopter parent and XSeed takes their time.

NieR: Automata launches March 7 in the West

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_UjmXbosHQ

Nioh PSX 2016 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLW04LUUYls

Persona 5 story trailer, digital pre-order bonuses announced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDaknCUzRBI

Ni no Kuni II launches 2017, PSX 2016 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ZNmEJgXCE

Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony coming west in 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMwKaXUzbSk

Yakuza Kiwami for PS4 coming west in summer 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=updSVMy-EVs

Yakuza 6 coming west in early 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xThhJ0zltU

Ys Origin coming to PS4 and PS Vita on February 21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRFATYk07N4

Ace Combat 7 launches 2017, PSX 2016 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9kLbrO2vBI

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite announced for PS4, Xbox One, and PC, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 available today on PS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0BQ-MxP-ZA

Any chance for an ASIA English release then? Otherwise I'll probably have to wait on a sale or not at all(depending on my memory card space). The game did look rather good though, so maybe LRG can work something out at some point.
I'm gonna bug LRG to do this one when I get to their booth. I'm watching the demo now and it looks smoother than the PC version at least on my PC.

It's being ported by DotEMU. It's hard to say what to expect from them. Their record is... very mixed. It doesn't seem like they do enough to take into the account the platform they're porting to and change things accordingly. So it probably depends on who's having them port it.

Personally I'd rather have heard news on Ys VIII. I'm surprised we haven't had any for that yet. Actually I guess I'm not that surprised. Falcom is a helicopter parent and XSeed takes their time.
Pretty sure they're waiting for the PS4 version to be ready as far as VIII goes.

UMvC3 also coming back to PSN Store, XB1 and Steam in March. Better sell my copies soon.

Akuma confirmed, and 5 other DLC chars for SFV hinted.

MvC Infinite gameplay shown tonight.

Wow, Sony is killing it!
You should try selling it soon since the PS4 version is only $25.

I was considering skipping out on the conference but decided to watch it and I'm glad I didn't miss out since it was much better than their E3 conference this year. All this conference needed was Trump coming out at the end and say "You're Welcome".

1478678185982_zps8xgurgif.gif

Trails in the Sky the 3rd is not a direct sequel as FC & SC are the complete arc. The 3rd sets up the meta story for the rest of the series and the main characters aren't Estelle and Joshua. It still takes place shortly after Trails in the Sky SC and there are plenty of returning characters though.
Well that's good to know. I'm more interested in the direct sequel, so I'm excited to start SC. 3rd sounds neat, but it won't be a huge priority. After I finish SC I can move on to Cold Steel.

All this PSX news is crazy.

MvCU looks like it's back to 2v2, and it has some sort of stone system. Not a big fan of that, but I'll wait and see how it's incorporated.

UMvC3 coming back tonight is great. I hope I can still use my PS3 TE via the labzero patch. Part of me hopes the infinites and glitches are patched out, but I'm pretty sure it'll just be a carbon copy of the existing game.

Well that's good to know. I'm more interested in the direct sequel, so I'm excited to start SC. 3rd sounds neat, but it won't be a huge priority. After I finish SC I can move on to Cold Steel.
Without spoiling anything, one of the subplots in Trails in the Sky SC gets resolved in Trails in the Sky the 3rd. The outcome of said subplot is later referenced in Trails of Cold Steel II and you'll be able to point it out right away having played Trails in the Sky SC first. It's not a real huge deal though. Outside of that I don't think there are any real spoilers for the 3rd in Cold Steel I & II.

Sometimes your comments scare me.

I still love you though.
I had a feeling you were gonna reply like that and was going to remove my gif to respond with it here but you beat me to it so instead I'll post the gif I was suppose to give you for the Jet deal you told me about had I not missed out on it.

1254668223777_zpsb2ttjkwi.gif

i want a retail copy of UMvC 3 PS4 to happen
I was expecting a retail copy too since I thought that's what they did with Ultra Street Fighter 4 for PS4 but turns out there was never a physical PS4 release for that version so I don't see one for this one.

Persona 5 "TYHE" $90

Persona 5 Game
SteelBook Collectible Case
Soundtrack CD
4" Morgana Plush
64 Page Hardcover Art Book
School Bag
Collectible Outer Box

Nier Automata : Black Box $190 + Shipping

Nier: Automata Game for PS4™
YoRHa 2B Figurine: a meticulously recreated and highly detailed figurine of the main protagonist
Hardback Artbook: 64 pages showcasing stunning artwork and illustrations from the game
Steelbook® Case
Original Soundtrack featuring 13 live recorded songs from NIER and NieR: Automata™
Collector's Box

Th-thanks SE. 

Yeah, I'm pretty much done with 90% these SE store CEs.  The prices and the value you receive are both terrible. 

That Nier CE is quadruple the cost of buying the standard release on day one.  You could buy four brand new release games for the cost of that CE. 

Persona 5 "TYHE" $90

Persona 5 Game
SteelBook Collectible Case
Soundtrack CD
4" Morgana Plush
64 Page Hardcover Art Book
School Bag
Collectible Outer Box

Nier Automata : Black Box $190 + Shipping

Nier: Automata Game for PS4™
YoRHa 2B Figurine: a meticulously recreated and highly detailed figurine of the main protagonist
Hardback Artbook: 64 pages showcasing stunning artwork and illustrations from the game
Steelbook® Case
Original Soundtrack featuring 13 live recorded songs from NIER and NieR: Automata™
Collector's Box

Th-thanks SE.
I'm more interested in the Nier one anyway. That figure looks great.

I didn't notice it prior but I now want this Collector's Edition just for the Morgana Plush. What are the chances this is mass produced and will go on sale down the line? Also did they change the name? Wasn't it called Valentine something Edition before?

I didn't notice it prior but I now want this Collector's Edition just for the Morgana Plush. What are the chances this is mass produced and will go on sale down the line? Also did they change the name? Wasn't it called Valentine something Edition before?
Chance of it going down in price? 100%

Changed the name because it's not coming out on Valentine's Day anymore.

bread's done
Back