Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Glad to see it all worked out! Although you got me a little worried now for the packaging, but they do come from different retailers, so you never know what you're gonna get.
Packaging was awful in my case too, worst I've seen. Got Odin Sphere (Vita) and it came in two very thin pieces of cardboard glued together. No padding. I almost thought that all they shipped was cardboard, it was so thin lol. The game wasn't damaged so it's all good.. but I was surprised at how bad the packaging was.

Oh, and it wasn't the launch edition so it didn't come with the artbook, but I wasn't expecting it to anyway.
Got the last item in the order today, being Mega Tagmension Blac + Neptune VS Zombies. A single vita game that was stuff in a oversized box that was the size that could hold a 3 PS4 systems for shipment, with a ton of air packets......I honestly don't what to think. First half comes in a flimsy plastic bag that couldn't protect itself from even another plastic bag. Second half gets beyond overkilled from anything that I've ever seen like it was a human organ or something. This is just plain strange. :lol:

Ni no Kuni II launches 2017, PSX 2016 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ZNmEJgXCE
8c989418b8a88c2473a181c0b77592c9.jpg

I want to be excited for this, but given capcom's recent track record I'm fully expecting either a incomplete beta, a broken piece of fuck, or both.

Your link is some random foreign language and the googled link I found brings me to a page where it had a box pop up saying you are not allowed to view this content D:
It brought me to the store. Also, the Theme is no longer available. It was apparently for PSX attendees but was accidentaly made free for everyone

Persona 5 "TYHE" $90

SteelBook Collectible Case
Soundtrack CD
4" Morgana Plush
64 Page Hardcover Art Book
School Bag
Collectible Outer Box
So for 20$ (10$ atlus tax) extra you get a generic looking bag, a ugly plush of a character I don't even like, a nifty little hardcover art book that would have been free back when p3 released, a cd with an unspecified amount of music on it that would have been free back when p3/4 released, and an outer box which also would have been free with the limited edition. So basically the only things you are getting here are the bag the stuffed animal and the steelbook. Only thing I want there is the steel book. Is that the same one that comes with the regular limited edition? Cause if so I'm good then. Only bag I've ever considered ordering for were majoras mask an natural doctrines. Not grabbing those are some of the few regrets I will ever have.

Well damn... I missed quite alot!

I have to say Nino Kuni 2 looked specially interesting, the art style specially stands out.

Also glad I pre-ordered the P5CE while that Visa offer was available for $50 that thing is gonna be nice  :whistle2:

Ace Combat 7 sold me on PSVR. That VR demo might be the best thing made on PSVR thus far.
Diving down and pulling up just before you hit the ground never felt so scary.

I knew they announced Ni No Kuni II before but damn that looks nice. Day one for me easily.

MvC Infinite has me interested, but only if they don't make this an Avengers fest. The Avengers and Fantastic Four are really the only Marvel teams I generally dislike.

My Final Fantasy finally got here from Newegg. I knew I was expecting a derp fest but my god, this is hilariously bad. When Noctis gets told to take off his coat because he complains it's hot I almost lost it.

Nier Automata : Black Box $190 + Shipping

Nier: Automata Game for PS4™
YoRHa 2B Figurine: a meticulously recreated and highly detailed figurine of the main protagonist
Hardback Artbook: 64 pages showcasing stunning artwork and illustrations from the game
Steelbook® Case
Original Soundtrack featuring 13 live recorded songs from NIER and NieR: Automata™
Collector's Box

Th-thanks SE.
This is the first Collector's Edition I've ever really wanted, that I'm going to skip.

I just can't justify that pricetag. I'm sure shipping is like $30-40 knowing the SE store. Converting the price into Canadian dollars brings the total price around $300, that's too much for a duty exemption. Depending on how I get it into Canada that's another $30-40. $340 for one collector's edition, for a game I currently have preordered @ $50CAD is wwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too much.

Edit: Hmm, nothing on the SE store page has the usual "exclusive" claims that pop up on things that aren't even exclusive to the SE store. This thing might show up on Amazon with a 20% discount?

MvCI looks like Injustice. By that I mean it looks hideous as shit. Not a fan of the gem system and there being no assist attacks. Seeing that the first two confirmed Marvel reps are Iron Man and Ms Marvel don't leave me optimistic for the rest of the cast. 

I was about to buy UMvC3 for PS4, but it doesn't have legacy stick support. 

GG Capcom

Captain Marvel. Ms Marvel is someone else now.

But like I said, I figured they're pushing the new universe. They pretty much killed all the characters in the X-Men movie, or made them hated. Same with the Fantastic Four. I think they're trying to force those characters into oblivion so MCU can get them back, personally.

So for 20$ (10$ atlus tax) extra you get a generic looking bag, a ugly plush of a character I don't even like, a nifty little hardcover art book that would have been free back when p3 released, a cd with an unspecified amount of music on it that would have been free back when p3/4 released, and an outer box which also would have been free with the limited edition. So basically the only things you are getting here are the bag the stuffed animal and the steelbook. Only thing I want there is the steel book. Is that the same one that comes with the regular limited edition? Cause if so I'm good then. Only bag I've ever considered ordering for were majoras mask an natural doctrines. Not grabbing those are some of the few regrets I will ever have.
The contents of course, are YMMV. I'll be using to the bag to store my laptop and give the plush/artbook to my GF since she collects those. It doesn't hurt that most of us have GCU/Prime so the CE is around $75. I understand where you're coming from though.

Captain Marvel. Ms Marvel is someone else now.

But like I said, I figured they're pushing the new universe. They pretty much killed all the characters in the X-Men movie, or made them hated. Same with the Fantastic Four. I think they're trying to force those characters into oblivion so MCU can get them back, personally.
I understand they are pushing the new universe. I feel like this game is more of a movie tie in than an actual Marvel vs Capcom game so far with their character choices and the whole infinity stones. Not a fan of the Avengers team, and I would like to see it have characters choices outside the MCU. Personally I am more an x-men/deadpool guy myself.

Now what I would really love is if Capcom can pack 50 non DLC characters into the roster, and offer at least some variety. Not the 16 SFV characters to start.

All I know is I'm going to jump on the eventual Ni No Kuni II CE preorder as soon as it becomes available and hope for the best.  I'm still mad I missed the CE of the first one despite having it preordered and my card charged only to see a few online vendors selling 50 plus copies at a massive markup while my single preorder went unfulfilled.

I almost forgot to post this. Thus I went through a bit quicker than usual, which hopefully means didn't miss much. Still waiting on Shantae. Come on WayForward, announce the date already.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are all on PC/Steam:
- Void & Nothingness (Visual Novel)
- Merlin adventurer store (Chinese | Simulation)
- TAIKER (Action Platformer)
- Publisher Tycoon (Korean | Simulation)
- Heartomics: Lost Count (SHMUP / Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (December 4th - December 10th)

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome Amiibo
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Simulation
- Demo: N/A
- Online: Up to 4 Players

- Comments: No idea what the games online entails.

The Last Guardian
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Action Adventure
- Online: N/A
- Comments: I guess it's finally happening.

Dead Rising 4
- Platform(s): XB1, PC
- Genre: Survival Horror / Action Adventure
- Online: Yes
- Comments: Timed exclusive for Windows 10 Store (90 Days) and Xbox One (1 Year)

Winged Sakura: Demon Civil War
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: First-Person Dungeon Crawler
- Comments: Not Japanese. Same people who made Winged Sakura: Mindy's Arc, an interesting Tower Defense game.

遊魂2 -you're the only one-
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Chinese UI only.

Natural - Beyond Nature -

Himawari - The Sunflower -
- Comments: Published by MangaGamer.

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun
- Genre: Strategy / Stealth
- Comments: Not Japanese. Looks interesting.

Past Releases
November 27th - December 3rd
November 20th - November 26th
November 13th - November 19th
November 6th - November 12th
October 30th - November 5th

MvCI looks like Injustice. By that I mean it looks hideous as shit. Not a fan of the gem system and there being no assist attacks. Seeing that the first two confirmed Marvel reps are Iron Man and Ms Marvel don't leave me optimistic for the rest of the cast.

I was about to buy UMvC3 for PS4, but it doesn't have legacy stick support.

GG Capcom
You have abysmal taste.

Heads up to everyone though,  Atelier Shallie Plus is less than 10% of stock left, so if you want one, this may be a good time to get in on it now,

http://store.nisamerica.com/atelier-shallie-plus-alchemists-of-the-dusk-sea-limited-edition

and most likely, just like Escha & Logy Plus and Ar Nosurge Plus didn't have a standard edition, this one probably will not either, so if you want a physical version of the game, this is pretty much your only option.

Whats different about this plus version?  And correct me if I'm wrong but didn't a video of it make it look like it runs horribly?

Whats different about this plus version? And correct me if I'm wrong but didn't a video of it make it look like it runs horribly?
Plus is the Vita version.

There's some extra content added to it, with some minor tweaks here and there.

It's less than 5% now everybody.

Get them while it's still in stock. :D

Why is it bad to have Iron Man in MvCI? Hes been in every MvC game. Lol.

Black panther is gunna be the new Wolverinr. XD

You have abysmal taste.
Don't know how wanting a cast that isn't handcuffed to the MCU constitutes as having terrible taste. Unless you're referring to this game looking like microwaved ass, which it does.

Why is it bad to have Iron Man in MvCI? Hes been in every MvC game. Lol.

Black panther is gunna be the new Wolverinr. XD
It just would've been nice to have a glimmer of hope for a more varied roster. The no X-Men rumors aren't confirmed in the slightest, and having old favorites run on this new system won't be the same anyway.

Iron Man wasn't in MvC until MvC2.

My bad, it was War Machine. But then I generally consider War Machine and Iron Man as the same with slight differences in MvC2.
Shit, having War Machine in this would've been pretty cool, but they have to reuse as many assets as possible so doing a color swap was just too much work.

Shit, having War Machine in this would've been pretty cool, but they have to reuse as many assets as possible so doing a color swap was just too much work.
Lol. Hell, Palette Swap for War Machine and Zero is probably gunna be a thing. And it'll be DLC.

Whats different about this plus version? And correct me if I'm wrong but didn't a video of it make it look like it runs horribly?
Ayesha and Logy being playable characters with a lot of new events for them. And the ending is probably reworked to accomodate them.

You can actually read about all the additional stuff in detail on the official site. Including spoilers.

http://www.koeitecmoamerica.com/shallieplus/add01.html

And yeah it does run pretty badly.

I don't know how niche MvC is, but wanted to chime in about Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite.

I've only ever played MvC2 and UMvC3/Vanilla, so I've never played the older series like Xmen vs Street Fighter. (I was 2 at the time...) I've seen videos and a tournament of XvSF though, and I can't help but feel Infinite looks really slow, especially compared to MvC2/3. Not as much craziness either, I think they said no assists this time around? I always felt like MvC2/3 stood out for it's extremely chaotic gameplay, and from the trailer, I'm not feeling that here. Also reminds me a lot of SFxT, which isn't a bad thing I guess.

A lot of the Capcom side of the FGC hates NRS and Injustice too, and aesthetics wise, this reminds me of that. There's always hate on how NRS handles female character models and facial features, but Captain Marvel looks absolutely terrible here. Also, graphics are very underwhelming for a game running on next gen consoles. It's funny because the FGC also trashed and flamed King of Fighers XIV for looking like a PS2 game. What goes around comes around...

Also, only 4 characters for the first reveal? (not counting the 2 bosses shown) That's not a lot, and it doesn't leave much room either for them to announce their whole roster, especially with the game having a 2017 release date. Not having the Fox side of Marvel characters doesn't bother me too much, at long as they can replicate the same gameplay styles of chars like Magneto, Wolverine, Doctor Doom, etc. Gives them more room to dive into lesser known MCU chars, and we'll still have the whole Capcom side to choose from.

On a plus side, SFV didn't look so well when they first announced it, so there's a lot of room for design changes. And I never thought this would happen, so something is better than nothing.

Iron Man was in Marvel Super Heroes though, proton cannon and all.

Stop hoping for 90s Marvel. It's gone. Permanently. It's not coming back any time soon.

I played CotA and Marvel Super Heroes. Things change. If you don't like it, go dig out your Dreamcast and shut up. You're not the target market.

I'm thinking about ordering The Last Guardian, Watch Dogs 2, and Exist Archive from the Best Buy B2G1 sale.  It seems like everyone has forgotten about Exist Archive.  Perhaps people don't care about it, or are convinced it will be a $20 title, which I get.

I'm trying to spend less money on games and I think I might return my Last Guardian CE and do this instead.  That's three games for the same amount of money.  I don't know how to break this LE purchasing cycle, or if I even want to.  decisions, decisions. 

I'm thinking about ordering The Last Guardian, Watch Dogs 2, and Exist Archive from the Best Buy B2G1 sale. It seems like everyone has forgotten about Exist Archive. Perhaps people don't care about it, or are convinced it will be a $20 title, which I get.

I'm trying to spend less money on games and I think I might return my Last Guardian CE and do this instead. That's three games for the same amount of money. I don't know how to break this LE purchasing cycle, or if I even want to. decisions, decisions.
Similar situation here. Last Guardian CE will be here tomorrow and I'm returning it because the value proposition for it is just terrible. I can't decide If I want in on this deal either because nothing is really calling to me right now. Realistically WD2 will be 25 in a month or two, Exist Archive screams 19.99. and TLG has equally good odds of being amazing/garbage.

Plus I'm 17 hours into FFXV and only just started Chapter 3 hah. I'm going to be busy with it for a while since I've pretty well determined I'm doing a 100% playthrough.

Iron Man was in Marvel Super Heroes though, proton cannon and all.

Stop hoping for 90s Marvel. It's gone. Permanently. It's not coming back any time soon.

I played CotA and Marvel Super Heroes. Things change. If you don't like it, go dig out your Dreamcast and shut up. You're not the target market.
You are 100% right in what you said above, I think it's just hard for some people to deal with because of the attachment to characters for so long that have been discarded. I have zero interest in the current Marvel and DC setups because they aren't the characters I loved when I was younger. So be it you know?

You are 100% right in what you said above, I think it's just hard for some people to deal with because of the attachment to characters for so long that have been discarded. I have zero interest in the current Marvel and DC setups because they aren't the characters I loved when I was younger. So be it you know?
I know, I'm in the same mindset, so I totally get it. They killed Wolverine, made Cyclopes a major POS, Juggernaut is gone, Thor is gone, Scarlett Witch can go toe to toe with Phoenix, Rogue can't fly... All stuff that weren't quite my favorite, but are so ingrained in me, that the new Marvel is really weird.

But the 90s Marvel we know so well was the result of the same process, cause it was aimed at us.

And on the bright side, I think there are some great new characters as a result, Karmala Khan being a fan favorite.

Ayesha and Logy being playable characters with a lot of new events for them. And the ending is probably reworked to accomodate them.

You can actually read about all the additional stuff in detail on the official site. Including spoilers.

http://www.koeitecmoamerica.com/shallieplus/add01.html

And yeah it does run pretty badly.
Thank you for the reply and the link. I thought it was shallie but wanted to confirm. Yeah I think I may pass depending on what content was added or not. So the plus version finishes up the dusk storyline? As I remember reading regular version does not. So if that is the case I guess there's no other choice than to get the vita plus version or watch the new stuff on youtube.

MvCI is officially being developed in house by Capcom USA. I'll just try and forget about it at this point and just hope it turns out to be not completely terrible. 

Pfft. 

Sure Amazon, you were JUST about to ship out my Last Guardian CE at 10:30 pm CT on a Sunday.  I'm sure that there will end up being no conceivable way for you to cancel it before it ships out.

Edit:  Yep, there it is.  I'll bet you they could have cancelled it if it was priced much cheaper than it should have been.

Heads up to everyone though, Atelier Shallie Plus is less than 10% of stock left, so if you want one, this may be a good time to get in on it now,

http://store.nisamerica.com/atelier-shallie-plus-alchemists-of-the-dusk-sea-limited-edition

and most likely, just like Escha & Logy Plus and Ar Nosurge Plus didn't have a standard edition, this one probably will not either, so if you want a physical version of the game, this is pretty much your only option.
Thanks for the reminder. Just ordered. :)

It was at 0-5% and I own the Ayesha and Eschatology LE's, so I should probably round out the collection with this one.

MvCI is officially being developed in house by Capcom USA. I'll just try and forget about it at this point and just hope it turns out to be not completely terrible.
While they probably don't have the gaming development wizards working at Capcom Japan, Capcom USA has heart and I think having X in the actual debut trailer is a good sign that they'll do what they can to win back fans.

Pfft.

Sure Amazon, you were JUST about to ship out my Last Guardian CE at 10:30 pm CT on a Sunday. I'm sure that there will end up being no conceivable way for you to cancel it before it ships out.

Edit: Yep, there it is. I'll bet you they could have cancelled it if it was priced much cheaper than it should have been.
Weird, I just canceled mine form Amazon this morning at 4am. Had it coming from Best Buy and kept my Amazon order as a backup but was not about to order two of these things so luckily I was able to stop them from sending it today. Oddly enough though my Best Buy order still hasn't shipped yet and that was preordered on the first day it was available. Hope they plan on sending it overnight.

bread's done
Back