Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright! Finally, Jubei! ... T_T
tumblr_inline_n9x337gWTh1rqfb5i.gif

Attack on Titan Gets Launch Trailer and Long Gameplay Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkkRgWP3xVY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QWXd6mZE1c

Attack On Titan’s Story Goes Beyond The Anime’s First Season

Final Fantasy XV Looks Beautiful in in an Hour-Long Gameplay Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9HQbSTxvXI

Mugen Souls Z Receives Exciting New PC Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7fIR8Rsi1s

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse Reveals Demon Fighting Tactics in New Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaHbBjqWEXQ

Good to see that Cold Steel II is confirmed for three weeks from now in September. I should probably re-beat the first one before it comes out for a refresher. That gives me three weeks, which I think is doable. It's a good time to start a first playthrough for anyone who hasn't and is interested so they aren't left with that fucking huge cliffhanger at the end so that they are able to immediately pickup the second game if desired.

Also, folders are quite nice on the PS4 in the new upcoming update. It's still in ribbon-form which kind of sucks, however at least you can manually sort them.

folders.png

With Dragon Quest VII only a month away, I'm finally biting on a New 3DS XL. So that's the device I'll be focused on for a while. Kinda glad Exist Archive seems to be merely average and FFXV got delayed. Now if Cosmic Star Heroine comes out anytime soon I'll have to get that but it'll only be like 15 bucks.

New Humble Bundle is up that has Galak-Z at the lowest buy-in tier. A few of the other games are pretty decent too (Nuclear Throne / Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime / SUPER TIME FORCE ULTRA), but don't really fit the theme of the thread. Granted I haven't played the other three I didn't list here.

BTW not that any of you give a flying flip, but I'm sure some of you noticed my posting is sparse these days. Life's been hitting me hard kinda like the way DaveyDarko's hardly around. I feel for him. 

That said, I've managed to cram in some good things among s*** hitting the fan.

First: a couple of random figures I bought for no good reason:

[attachment=23308:20160813_183310.jpg][attachment=23309:20160813_183748.jpg]

[attachment=23310:20160815_192705.jpg][attachment=23311:20160815_193753.jpg]

Still can't find a good figure for Estelle... :wall:

Also managed to import an LE of Ys VIII 

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:23248]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:23258]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:23259]

Got em on the same day as No Man's Sky. BTW I like NMS but...Ys VIII is a game that actually has me impressed, go figure. 

So far I'm only like an hour's worth in (takes me 3 times longer by using Google Translate's app to very roughly translate the text, lol).

[attachment=23312:20160814_235353.jpg]

Considering how I'm fairly disappointed in Cold Steel II's soundtrack I thought Falcom was starting to lose its edge on its music. Then I heard the music for Ys VIII:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoplNrxZWx8&list=PLzFTGYa_evXgG8m6ulXj9E5gUDpg_HR6q

and went...

HACAIE4.gif

Probably the thing that got me to import the game instead of waiting for Xseed to localize it (and I'm almost certain that will happen). 

Highlights:

- Main titles - A waltz that sounds like it took a few pages of Edward Grieg? Beautiful, haunting, and almost doesn't fit the game! 
- Iclucian Dance - Love the violin. I don't think I've heard the violinist play that thing as fast as in this song. 
- The first two boss themes - Nothing says Hack N Slash goodness like the rock pieces Falcom typically puts out.
- "The Nameless Coast" theme (or SUNSHINE COASTLINE in the actual album) - A new all-time favorite. Right next to Quatera Woods from Ys VI, Sora no Kiseki's Silver Will, and whatnot. I must have killed half an hour just rocking out to this piece.  Here, let me give you the direct link to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNgph1g422Q

- The Leaning Tower Baja - The first eight seconds...is it just me or is there a nod to good ol' Alexander Courage's original Star Trek theme? 

Oh...and finally...

[attachment=23313:20160815_231234.jpg][attachment=23314:20160815_231241.jpg]

Woohoo I'm not as terrible as I was! Oh...yeah...I've almost finished Project Diva F; just played on a different Vita (not activated online) last night so hence the new game.

Special thanks to BlackRockWaifu for encouraging me to come on back and post stuff. So if you can't stand me blame him. Jk, lol! :lol: :D

Hopefully things start to calm down and go better for you.

How text heavy is Ys 8 compared to MoC? I've been thinking of importing it and you are making me want to that much more...

Oh and nothing new on the PSN front with regards to free stuff. I think I'll quit bothering to post that there's no new free items and only post when there is something to actually post.

My PS4 kicked the bucket I think :(

It turns on and I can hear my Miku Future Tone theme's sound playing through headphones, but no video/audio output to any TV - TV recognizes something is plugged in over hdmi but it's just a black screen

And the tv in the same room broke entirely, guess a power surge got me.

With Neo just around the corner I'll probably wait it out a couple weeks till the announcement in early September. Maybe PS4 gets a price drop, maybe I'll repair my broken one, or maybe I'll get the Neo, if it's reasonably priced.

Good thing besides Digimon Cyber Sleuth, all the games in my backlog and upcoming games are 3ds and vita games!

My PS4 kicked the bucket I think :(

It turns on and I can hear my Miku Future Tone theme's sound playing through headphones, but no video/audio output to any TV - TV recognizes something is plugged in over hdmi but it's just a black screen

And the tv in the same room broke entirely, guess a power surge got me.

With Neo just around the corner I'll probably wait it out a couple weeks till the announcement in early September. Maybe PS4 gets a price drop, maybe I'll repair my broken one, or maybe I'll get the Neo, if it's reasonably priced.

Good thing besides Digimon Cyber Sleuth, all the games in my backlog and upcoming games are 3ds and vita games!
Have you held the power button for a minute until the recovery screen appears? That used to happen to my PS3 after switching between TVs a bunch of times.

Really looking forward to this. I'm on Chapter 6 and well over 40 hours in to the first one, so I assume I'm approaching the end. I'm seriously considering going for the plat, I'm enjoying the game so much.

sfcH7Uf.jpg

Still can't find a good figure for Estelle... :wall:
AHHHHH I want a Kloe figure! I'll take just about any of the Trails in the Sky cast, but Kloe was my favorite.

Hopefully things start to calm down and go better for you.

How text heavy is Ys 8 compared to MoC? I've been thinking of importing it and you are making me want to that much more...
So far playing through the prologue and a bit of chapter 1 I'd say it's heavier on the text than most Ys games. So far I'd go to say not much more than MoC. Trouble is a lot of people are predicting Xseed won't do Ys VIII won't make it to the US period until the PS4 version is out.

It might be wishful thinking on my part but something tells me we'll get it sooner...but it's probably just me. And besides CS II is now complete soooo....more staff for Ys VIII? Probably going to Trails in the Sky the 3rd.

He truly is the pillar sunshine of this community, we should all send our thanks for the encouragement he gives us and always brightening up our day.
I hope you saw BRW's wrestler gif post in the AWD thread; single-handedly brought that thread back to life! :)

Really looking forward to this. I'm on Chapter 6 and well over 40 hours in to the first one, so I assume I'm approaching the end. I'm seriously considering going for the plat, I'm enjoying the game so much.

AHHHHH I want a Kloe figure! I'll take just about any of the Trails in the Sky cast, but Kloe was my favorite.
Yeah you're almost done. Keep it up!

The little 5" Kloe figure was freaking expensive too at $35. Someone told me I could find them at anime expos.

15743877076_319d679be5_b_zpswtjwdtyn.jpg

Metal Gear Survive announced for PS4, Xbox One, and PC

Metal Gear Survive picks up from the ending of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, to an alternate timeline caused by unexplained wormholes forming in the sky. Players find themselves on distorted desert landscapes full of massive half-formed structures, living biological threats, and the remains of a once strong military force now litter the landscape.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3hjRKGrC40

Metal Gear Survive picks up from the ending of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, to an alternate timeline caused by unexplained wormholes forming in the sky. Players find themselves on distorted desert landscapes full of massive half-formed structures, living biological threats, and the remains of a once strong military force now litter the landscape.
"Unexplained wormholes?" They could have at least blamed nanomachines.

I'm probably slow in realizing this only now, but FFXV's new 11/29 release date likely means Gravity Rush 2 (12/2) will sell poorly despite being somewhat different games. :cry:

I'm probably slow in realizing this only now, but FFXV's new 11/29 release date likely means Gravity Rush 2 (12/2) will sell poorly despite being somewhat different games. :cry:
Yeah that does suck. Gravity Rush is so good. it shouldn't be second. that sucks because there will definitely be a new Final Fantasy if not a remake in 10 years lol but GR takes the hit. and i loved Gravity Rush

Then you have Pokémon Sun and Moon two weeks before its release as well. I don't see this ending well either. :I

Yeah that does suck. Gravity Rush is so good. it shouldn't be second. that sucks because there will definitely be a new Final Fantasy if not a remake in 10 years lol but GR takes the hit. and i loved Gravity Rush
On a related note, Amazon seems to only have a "PS4 Digital Code" listing for GR2:
https://www.amazon.com/Gravity-Rush-2-PlayStation-4/dp/B01H0TITUQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1471443341&sr=1-1&keywords=gravity+rush+2

Hmm... :???:

Just guilt trip a significant other or family to buy you Gravity Rush for Christmas. "You love me, right? At least more than Amazon has loved me lately." It'll totally work.

I wasn't planning on buying it at or near launch anyways. I skipped the original because I don't care for the way those types of games control on Vita and thus skip all of its kind. Bought the PS4 version, but have yet to play it. Mostly because anytime I read about the PS4 version there's always a dozen people saying you should skip that one and play the Vita version. fuck that.

Hell yeah.

It is really great on both. I mean i am honestly biased to the Vita but it was wonderful on the PS4.
I'll get there eventually, but it's in backlog hell right now. My schedule looks like this:

Pillars of Eternity + White Marsh I & II (Path of the Damned) -> Replay Trails of Cold Steel -> Trails of Cold Steel II -> Dragon Quest VII 3DS Remake -> Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (Maybe before DQ7 depending when I finish Cold Steel II)

Plus I play Overwatch here and there on the side. That'll last me a while and I'll have to figure out where to go after depending on when I'm done with those.

Special thanks to BlackRockWaifu for encouraging me to come on back and post stuff. So if you can't stand me blame him. Jk, lol! :lol: :D
I feel for Davey too, hope he's well and blessed with Miku happiness. I really love the soundtrack reviews as well, hope you do one for P5. You and Davey are actually the ones that got me to buy a Vita, especially after seeing you post all the PDF2 shots.

He truly is the pillar sunshine of this community, we should all send our thanks for the encouragement he gives us and always brightening up our day.
Thank you for your kind words. I don't think I do much except joke a bit, but I do really appreciate it. Although I'd steer clear of the pillar position, we never knows,who might be watching.

I'll get there eventually, but it's in backlog hell right now. My schedule looks like this:

Pillars of Eternity + White Marsh I & II (Path of the Damned) -> Replay Trails of Cold Steel -> Trails of Cold Steel II -> Dragon Quest VII 3DS Remake -> Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (Maybe before DQ7 depending when I finish Cold Steel II)

Plus I play Overwatch here and there on the side. That'll last me a while and I'll have to figure out where to go after depending on when I'm done with those.
We all have a backlog hell.

I know mine should be:

Criminal Girls -> DQ7 -> Criminal Girls 2 -> FFXV......yeah i'm slow.

Along the way I play Hyrule Warrior Legends (1 level a day or so I will beat it eventually), Overwatch (gotten kind of bored honestly....too samey), random visual novels (I'm a fast reader at least).

I should go back and at least finish the main story of Dungeon Travelers 2 (think i'm about 45 hours into it.....was almost done with the main game I believe).

Wish I was better and stopped adding games all the time.

What happened with Davey?

Started Dungeon Travelers 2, finally, Played the demo before, but I've been on a dungeon hiatus since not being able to get into Operation Abyss. Dungeon Travelers is making me want to do nothing but play, which I wish I had more time for.

Personal opinion, I think DT2 is the best DRPG (among the 3-4 DRPGs I finished) on the Vita, in every way: characters, gameplay, leveling system etc.

Previously beat Demon Gaze and I'm on Moe Chronicles now, and I wish the characters were as fleshed out as DT2, also a better skill leveling system like DT2. Haven't heard much about DT2-2, but will be preorder it day one.

What happened with Davey?

Started Dungeon Travelers 2, finally, Played the demo before, but I've been on a dungeon hiatus since not being able to get into Operation Abyss. Dungeon Travelers is making me want to do nothing but play, which I wish I had more time for.
I couldn't get into Operation Abyss either. I'm not a huge fan of empty main characters. Demon Gaze felt a little less like that seeing as the main character was the Gazer and the events included your mercenaries by name. I've wanted to start Dungeon Travelers 2, so perhaps it'll be my next crawler. I enjoyed Moe Chronicle, Demon Gaze, and Ray Gigant. I had hoped my next DC would be Moe Crystal, but I may have to import that instead. Go go google translate!!

bread's done
Back