Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I have an Extra Road Trip DLC that i actually forgot to give away.
Check your PM's i sent you the code since you were the second to reply to Draekon.
(I havent tried it but it should work, let me know if it does )

Happy holidays and Enjoy the Game. O:)
Guess I should have spoken up. I did the road trip mini games, only to later learn there was no point if I hadn't preordered from Amazon. I ordered from BB to get the chocobo hat.

That isn't as bad as I was expecting, but it's still weird considering Bamco pretty much said they wouldn't be censoring anything.
Pretty much. The ESRB has serious issues with children shown being seriously physically harmed (At least not without significantly increasing the rating) that goes beyond wanton cartoon violence, which is probably why it was changed. Hardly the first time we hear these kinds of changes in any game with regards to scenes that have young children. It's not like something wasn't put in its place anyways that results in the same outcome.

EDIT: I wonder if Trails in the Sky the 3rd's release on PC will get an M rating for a certain scene I'm aware of that falls under this category. Falcom had removed that scene when they ported it to PSP to fit a lower rating, but XSeed said they're leaving it in on the PC release.

R.I.P. Call of Duty

2003 - 2016

Press F to Pay Respect.

Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash debut trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cSeW2MO-OY
tumblr_inline_ohw7gk1L9X1qh6g5d_540.jpg

Are any of these FFxv codes in the UCE? If not, can someone share. I really don't have time to jump through a million hoops to get it. It would be very much appreciated.

To me Let it Die is feeling like a chore. It plays alright and has Suda style, but gets repetitive, feels clunky in all the menus, and the F2P timers and deaths are more not fun than fun. Also some quests seem to bug out....or be vague and not say exactly what is needed to complete them. Also the loading times are horrendous though once you have a level loaded it doesn't need any after that. I am likely going to play FFXV and that VN that Mangagamer is releasing tomorrow.
Sounds like a normal Suda game

EDIT: I wonder if Trails in the Sky the 3rd's release on PC will get an M rating for a certain scene I'm aware of that falls under this category. Falcom had removed that scene when they ported it to PSP to fit a lower rating, but XSeed said they're leaving it in on the PC release.
As far as I know PC games don't have to be submitted to the ESRB ratings board. They can be released unrated and still be sold on platforms like Steam. Look at the Steam pages for the first two Trails in the Sky game. Neither have an ESRB rating. Same goes for other Japanese games that have ratings on consoles (for example, Akiba's Trip or Senran Kagura).

So yeah, it makes sense why they can leave it on the PC if they want. And that's how it should be anyways.

As far as I know PC games don't have to be submitted to the ESRB ratings board. They can be released unrated and still be sold on platforms like Steam. Look at the Steam pages for the first two Trails in the Sky game. Neither have an ESRB rating. Same goes for other Japanese games that have ratings on consoles (for example, Akiba's Trip or Senran Kagura).

So yeah, it makes sense why they can leave it on the PC if they want. And that's how it should be anyways.
As far as I know, no game needs to be submitted to the ESRB regardless of platform. The main reason it happens is because of platform manufacturer requirements and also retailer requirements. Since PC doesn't really answer to a platform manufacturer it doesn't really need to unless they sell physically in a retail store and thus you don't really see it outside of larger publishers. I thought XSeed was one who did this with their PC games, but I guess not after checking since you mentioned that.

Well since it likely won't get rated, I want to believe it would get an M rating because they had to remove the scene in Japan because they couldn't hit a CERO B rating without removing it. It seems pretty much impossible to rate it T here and I don't know what the rating would have been if they kept the scene in for Japan though. So M it is.

Many B&M retailers will not even sell a game unless it has an ESRB attached to it, and have policies in place to prevent them from carrying those titles.

I'm more interested in Berseria than most of the games in the series lately. It sounds like they really fixed a lot of the issues I had problems with from Zestiria based on what I've read. Word going around is that it's on par or at the very least the best one since Vesperia. Definitely need to not let that add any hype to anticipation of playing it or I'll probably be let down in some way. The older cast on average is nice though, but I'm still tired of seeing them always shoehorn in some really young cast member that shouldn't be a party member.

Just sucks that the PC version is coming out two days later than the console version. Oh well.
to be fair laphicet is a spirit so while he has a young appearance he's older than everyone there sans Eizen who remembers when god was a boy.... Spirits don't really count considering they can change their form at will. I do agree that its kinda cop out but its still a perfectly valid argument in this case.

The games have usually had an older cast average though. 1-2 characters may be 14 and under but usually most of them are 18+ more often than not. tos 6/9. tov 5/7, tog 6/7(lol hubert), tod 9/10 only chelsea was a kid and she's practically optional as a party member. tol 3/8 (not sure what chloe and senels ages were off hand) tox 3/6 an toe 2/7 are probably the lowest of the localized titles. Yeah it is lame that they always manage to put in the loli/shota character but eh what can you do? Japan likes em young.

Ha, I just noticed that the English release ditched the subtitle for this one. I guess "World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below" was too difficult to top.
That's awful. The subtitle has the been one of the best parts of Dragon Quest since DQVIII.

I'm quite fond of "Hand of the Heavenly Bride".

All Suda51 games have something awful to balance out the parts that are fantastic.

Except Shadows of the Damned, that game was perfect.
Killer is Dead was also amazing, I can't really remember a flaw in that game, besides maybe it being a little too short, and the story ending on a cliff hanger.

I couldn't find anything awful about Lollipop Chainsaw. Still wishing we get a sequel, but doubtful that will ever happen.
Yeah, Lollipop Chainsaw was awesome! That game has one of the best soundtracks of all time, perfect match for the game. And it was also co-designed by James Gunn, and waddaya know, it parallels the soundtrack for Guardians of the Galaxy.

If Re: Sharin no Kuni's Vita Stretch goal gets funded, the game will be published by LRG.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tokyootakumode/re-sharin-no-kuni-project/posts/1759967
If they for sure announced the Vita port, I would pledge like yesterday, but that stretch goal is to far off, and I don't do PC, so doesn't look like I'll be supporting this one(and I would like to).

EDIT: I think if some of these publishers just went ahead and announced the Vita version will happen, and promote it properly, these stretch goals could be reach in certain situations, especially when interest is already pretty good. Saying it will happen, if the goal is met, just doesn't work well in most situations.

If they for sure announced the Vita port, I would pledge like yesterday, but that stretch goal is to far off, and I don't do PC, so doesn't look like I'll be supporting this one(and I would like to).

EDIT: I think if some of these publishers just went ahead and announced the Vita version will happen, and promote it properly, these stretch goals could be reach in certain situations, especially when interest is already pretty good. Saying it will happen, if the goal is met, just doesn't work well in most situations.
Only Muv Luv has been successful with the advertising in terms of VNs. :lol:

BAZ3gLD.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDGcAemuO-I

XSEED confirmed the retail launch date for the upcoming WayForward developed Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, coming to PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita on December 20 with the Wii U version releasing on December 27.
To celebrate the release, a new “Risky Beats” edition has been revealed and will contain a 30-song soundtrack for $29.99. The digital release will be shared on the respective digital storefronts and release dates, but will cost $19.99.
http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/12/09/shantae-half-genie-hero-retail-release/

So they finally have a release date for Wii U. Sucks for those who wanted to play it before Christmas. Nice to see the price at $20 as I thought it would be $30 for the base game. Granted I'll probably still buy the Risky Boots edition to support them. This will definitely be my next purchase, followed by Berseria. Not sure if I want to fill in the gap with Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun seeing as how it's getting pretty damn good reviews.

I guess there's also Trails to Zero fan translation that's in its final editing phase I believe. Unfortunately it seems to be a bit sub-par translation wise from taking a quick peek at the script, but better than the Trails of Nayuta at least.

I've had the Risky Beats edition pre-ordered ever since it was posted on Amazon. Finished playing through the Pirate's Curse on the 3DS, and started playing Risky's Revenge on the PS4. I got to the Squid Baron, but that guy is really hard in Risky's Revenge. Probably get another chance to play over the holidays, so I should be ready for Half Genie Hero.

So they finally have a release date for Wii U. Sucks for those who wanted to play it before Christmas. Nice to see the price at $20 as I thought it would be $30 for the base game. Granted I'll probably still buy the Risky Boots edition to support them. This will definitely be my next purchase, followed by Berseria. Not sure if I want to fill in the gap with Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun seeing as how it's getting pretty damn good reviews.

I guess there's also Trails to Zero fan translation that's in its final editing phase I believe. Unfortunately it seems to be a bit sub-par translation wise from taking a quick peek at the script, but better than the Trails of Nayuta at least.
Yeah, after completing Cold Steel I & II, and drawing close to the end of Trails in the Sky, I definitely caught the "Legend of Heroes" bug. I was a little bummed when I read that it was unlikely that Zero, and Ao would get translated to English I know I still have Second Class, and 3rd to look forward to, as well as Cold Steel III, but I would really love for them to come to NA on Vita or PC. I'll more than likely play the translated releases whenever they come out, but being the collector I am, I'll still probably buy the Japanese PSP releases for my collection (not to mention to say I legally own the games).

I figured you had Cold Steel on your mind when writing that, but it gave me an excuse to use that gif before I forget it exists.
Yes I did, and I was a mildly irritated until I saw the familiar username, lol. Of course, I stay in a state of mild irritation.

The Guided Fate Ultimatum Limited Edition I ordered from NISA's holiday sale came in quite good condition even though the description said it was damaged. Two light dings and the box is still sealed. Amazon/Best Buy send me stuff that gets more damaged than because they use bubble mailers. Plus they sent me an empty opened box for the Limited Edition which is in perfect condition, so I can switch the contents of the LE over to that if I decide to unseal it.

tl;dr NISA store > Amazon/Best Buy

I'm so glad this has online co-op, now me and BlackRockWaifu can be all Highschool of the Dead up in this game.

4zLriWM.gif

53463563157_zps52mbyvk5.gif

Seeing this pic just makes me think of Mega Man 2.
hard_hat_by_mintenndo-d77l2r1.png
This gif has been sitting on my HDD since 2007 for this day.

1187245398501_zpsvhjhowft.gif

Killer is Dead was also amazing, I can't really remember a flaw in that game, besides maybe it being a little too short, and the story ending on a cliff hanger.
I loved Killer is Dead... even tho I had no clue what the hell was going on in the story. It was my first hack-and-slash game and I was a bit worried I'd have trouble with these sort of games but I ended up understanding the controls pretty quickly. So I thought maybe hack-and-slash games aren't so bad as I thought they would be. Then I eventually play Metal Gear Rising and kept getting killed by that fucking robot dog in the first level... on Normal difficulty, let's not even get into the Monsoon fight.

The Guided Fate Ultimatum Limited Edition I ordered from NISA's holiday sale came in quite good condition even though the description said it was damaged. Two light dings and the box is still sealed. Amazon/Best Buy send me stuff that gets more damaged than because they use bubble mailers. Plus they sent me an empty opened box for the Limited Edition which is in perfect condition, so I can switch the contents of the LE over to that if I decide to unseal it.

tl;dr NISA store > Amazon/Best Buy
Lucky. My 2 Witch and the Hundred Knight Revival Limited Editions were missing the Metallia figures. Not bad for $39.99 each since you can't get the regular edition anymore for cheap but I expected them. I emailed and they said they'd send them out but never received them or a shipping notice. I've ordered a lot from them including anime and never had a problem so I'm hopeful it will get resolved.

I'm so glad this has online co-op, now me and BlackRockWaifu can be all Highschool of the Dead up in this game.
Haha I just remember reading about how they did the calculations of how fast they would have to be going for the bullet to be able to pass through them.

We+are+all+gonna+get+flagged+for+this+thread+but+_8635a8349c66f45182e903d165a6f748.jpg

I loved Killer is Dead... even tho I had no clue what the hell was going on in the story. It was my first hack-and-slash game and I was a bit worried I'd have trouble with these sort of games but I ended up understanding the controls pretty quickly. So I thought maybe hack-and-slash games aren't so bad as I thought they would be. Then I eventually play Metal Gear Rising and kept getting killed by that fucking robot dog in the first level... on Normal difficulty, let's not even get into the Monsoon fight.
Damn, Metal Gear Rising kicked my ass as well. Normal mode too. The robot dog tore me to pieces. The music during the fight kept me going though, "Rules of Nature!" Monsoon wasn't too bad, I remember being able to play very defensive and getting through it pretty easily. The man with the giant shield was a pain in the ass though, could never cut straight whenever he lined the shield up, and when I tried to take my time, I would just run out of time. And don't even get me started on the last boss... I did go back and play Devil May Cry 3, which actually wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but I grinded for orbs too. Don't remember my first Hack and Slash, might be God of War Chains of Olympus for PSP.

Yeah the story of Killer is Dead is a mess, but there's some really cool twists and hidden story cues. Like I always feel it's me that doesn't understand it, as if it's a Picasso Painting, rather than it being a convoluted story. The final boss fight was amazing though, and reminded me of the DMC 3 one.

Haha I just remember reading about how they did the calculations of how fast they would have to be going for the bullet to be able to pass through them.

We+are+all+gonna+get+flagged+for+this+thread+but+_8635a8349c66f45182e903d165a6f748.jpg
I was gonna bring this up but didn't have the image. I'm glad you were able to deliver.

Damn, Metal Gear Rising kicked my ass as well. Normal mode too. The robot dog tore me to pieces. The music during the fight kept me going though, "Rules of Nature!" Monsoon wasn't too bad, I remember being able to play very defensive and getting through it pretty easily. The man with the giant shield was a pain in the ass though, could never cut straight whenever he lined the shield up, and when I tried to take my time, I would just run out of time. And don't even get me started on the last boss... I did go back and play Devil May Cry 3, which actually wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but I grinded for orbs too. Don't remember my first Hack and Slash, might be God of War Chains of Olympus for PSP.

Yeah the story of Killer is Dead is a mess, but there's some really cool twists and hidden story cues. Like I always feel it's me that doesn't understand it, as if it's a Picasso Painting, rather than it being a convoluted story. The final boss fight was amazing though, and reminded me of the DMC 3 one.
The fight with Sundowner was easy for me actually because I just kept jump strafing to the left of him up close while mashing the button to slash him which would slowly but surely damage him. I'm pretty sure it's not meant to be fought this way but it got the job done and didn't want to deal with another ordeal like Monsoon. As for the final boss fight with Armstrong it was also a pain in the ass for me as well I was honestly about to even quit the entire game and just watch the ending on YouTube just because that final fight phase was annoying. Funny enough I had only like 2 Rations with me during the fights but decided to search and try to get every Ration available in that level and prevent myself from losing even one, I manage to get 4 Rations which was surely enough to keep me alive to beat him and when I went to go fight him again... I somehow manage to not lose a single Ration during that fight and beat him.

The music in Killer is Dead was pretty nice too especially the final boss fight theme. I've yet to play Devil May Cry, I do have DmC for PS4 but I haven't played that one. I also have Bayonetta 1 and 2 but also haven't played that either.

bread's done
Back