Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
And the West is supposed to get this game too
Right. It all amounts to time though. Estival Versus took a year to be localized (and another year to come to Steam), so I'm not sure how long it'll take to bring this game over. I'm an impatient person so I caved and imported it.

grabbed Parappa from Play Asia, debating importing Summer Lesson, looks like the menus are still in japanese, does the game do voice interaction ie. you need to talk to her in japanese as well?

WOW the Splatoon 2 testfire 1st hour was really solid.

Game is looking really good, not so hot with that 1 gym map.

But the game felt smooth and polished.

WOW the Splatoon 2 testfire 1st hour was really solid.

Game is looking really good, not so hot with that 1 gym map.

But the game felt smooth and polished.
Never played Splatoon 1, but this is an insta-buy for me. That hour flew by, the game looked awesome in handheld mode and I had very few hiccups (Just a few connection errors).

Also Roller ftw!

Play-Asia is sold out so I ordered from Nin-Nin-Game (never heard of it). After shipping and conversion rate it came to about $22.20 shipped.
Bought my Ni No Kuni Magical Edition PS3 Console from them. They are legit, and responded to all my facebook messages pretty fast. Oh and they packaged it really well.

Edit: That looks like the Japanese version of the game, not the Asian. Don't think that version has English subs.

Bought my Ni No Kuni Magical Edition PS3 Console from them. They are legit, and responded to all my facebook messages pretty fast. Oh and they packaged it really well.

Edit: That looks like the Japanese version of the game, not the Asian. Don't think that version has English subs.
yeah I agree, I would contact nin nin, I don't think that's the eng sub version

grabbed Parappa from Play Asia, debating importing Summer Lesson, looks like the menus are still in japanese, does the game do voice interaction ie. you need to talk to her in japanese as well?
I played some of Summer Lesson, and there was no voice recognition. Most of the game involves choosing the topic to teach Hikari using the head-tracking motion, viewing messages/taking calls on your cell phone using the controller, and just listening to what she has to say.

But yeah, the menus look like they were not translated in the recent trailer, which kind of sucks. Wonder if it will stay that way after release.

Anyone have opinions on Nitroplus Blasterz? Worth playing for someone with a fighter backlog and no investment in any nitroplus IPs?
I haven't played it extensively, but for the price they're asking on PSN at the moment, I would say go for it. All of the reviews and first-hand accounts I've seen of the game are that it has extremely solid mechanics, and a surprisingly capable tutorial mode. Probably a pretty good fighting game to have installed on your machine.

So the Japanese version will include English? It's not a separate Asian release?

Yeah, I'm curious about this too. If so, I'd rather order through amazon.jp with some other items of interest.

Yeah I noticed it was "Japanese" rather than "Asia", although the box art was identical (not sure if CERO covers thee rest of Asia I'm a Japanese game newb, last game I imported was Super Princess Peach when it came out). But based off the listing on Nin-Nin it is compatible with all regions and I know the Japanese demo has English cutscenes and levels (though subtitled in Japanese). Plus, the original NA game had language options so hoping the Japanese PS4 version does too but not the biggest deal since the audio is in English at least.

Anyone have opinions on Nitroplus Blasterz? Worth playing for someone with a fighter backlog and no investment in any nitroplus IPs?
Yeah like Vic said, the graphics are a bit shoddy, but the gameplay is very fun. Similar to Dengeki Bunko if you've ever played that, but you get two assist characters. The combos are easy for the most part, and some super animations are crazy and over the top.

I'll comment on some of the other stuff since I haven't seen much talk on that. There is a good story mode that plays out like Blazblue, with a bunch of dialogue and battles in between. But this one really stands out because it doesn't have anything to do with the characters' canon. In fact, it's like a Lovecraftian/Phantom of the Opera/Sherlock Holmes fanfiction. I won't spoil it for you but it's really dark and deep and you will be surprised because it's nothing like any anime. Just think of Shakespeare x Devil May Cry or something... wow never thought I would put those two together...

The survival mode and arcade mode is fun, I think there is a bit of canon that drives those modes too, and you get a slight glimpse into the lore that each character is from. If am I not confusing it with the story mode, there are multiple acts in the game too, and you have to complete each of the different modes to unlock a part of the entire story and the ending. It's pretty wild.

Only real complaint about the game is the lack of a lobby mode, something I've always wanted to set up for the PS4 community. I also have not played a match online yet so I can't comment on the netcode. The game is also a very easy Platinum from what I've read, so that's another plus.

JohnnySako from this thread has also been playing it lately I saw, so maybe he can confirm what I've said. This game also has two Sonicos, so that almost makes it a perfect 10 right there.

And if you are worried about not knowing the Nitroplus franchise, there are a bunch of outside characters that I am sure you are familiar with at least one. Super Sonico, Saber (Fate), Saya (Song of Saya), Aino Heart (Arcana Heart), and Honoka (Senran Kagura) to name a few. Also a variety of characters as assists.

Shakespeare x Devil May Cry
I'd play THAT fighting game. When's it coming out?

And if you are worried about not knowing the Nitroplus franchise, there are a bunch of outside characters that I am sure you are familiar with at least one. Super Sonico, Saber (Fate), Saya (Song of Saya), Aino Heart (Arcana Heart), and Honoka (Senran Kagura) to name a few. Also a variety of characters as assists.
Actually... I mean, I have Arcana Heart 3 Love Max, so I know of Aino, but I actually haven't messed around with it too much, and beyond that...

The weird thing is that I spend a lot of time on obscure Japanese stuff, but with both Dengeki Bunko and Nitroplus Blasterz, I seriously know basically nothing about virtually any of the characters—even guests. It's weird. I've heard of some of them, sure, but I've never looked much into the franchises.

Anyway, I'll be mulling it over tonight. Thanks for the info, it sounds like there's a good amount of single player content, which is always a plus for me.

Yeah like Vic said, the graphics are a bit shoddy, but the gameplay is very fun. Similar to Dengeki Bunko if you've ever played that, but you get two assist characters. The combos are easy for the most part, and some super animations are crazy and over the top.

I'll comment on some of the other stuff since I haven't seen much talk on that. There is a good story mode that plays out like Blazblue, with a bunch of dialogue and battles in between. But this one really stands out because it doesn't have anything to do with the characters' canon. In fact, it's like a Lovecraftian/Phantom of the Opera/Sherlock Holmes fanfiction. I won't spoil it for you but it's really dark and deep and you will be surprised because it's nothing like any anime. Just think of Shakespeare x Devil May Cry or something... wow never thought I would put those two together...

The survival mode and arcade mode is fun, I think there is a bit of canon that drives those modes too, and you get a slight glimpse into the lore that each character is from. If am I not confusing it with the story mode, there are multiple acts in the game too, and you have to complete each of the different modes to unlock a part of the entire story and the ending. It's pretty wild.

Only real complaint about the game is the lack of a lobby mode, something I've always wanted to set up for the PS4 community. I also have not played a match online yet so I can't comment on the netcode. The game is also a very easy Platinum from what I've read, so that's another plus.

JohnnySako from this thread has also been playing it lately I saw, so maybe he can confirm what I've said. This game also has two Sonicos, so that almost makes it a perfect 10 right there.

I agree with BRW. I'm a fan of the EXAMU fighters so the graphics didn't bother me. Online is pretty much dead, luckily none of the trophies are earned online. Played one match online so far and ended up against the #1 ranked player. That didn't end well. Lol

"Another Story" had all the Lovecraft references. I enjoyed that more than the character story.

I Paid $11.99 on Amazon about a month ago and am very happy with my purchase. I plan on finishing up the platinum (2 trophies to go).

Playing Homura makes me REALLY want the next Senran Kagura game to be an EXAMU fighter.

His Cringe in the Top Right made me LOL :rofl:
Looks like that delay may have been worth it for them to include JPN audio. :drool:
I was worried about the dub initially from the clips and trailers, but I'm 8 hours in and it's a good dub on par with Atlus USA's other dubbed games. There is awkward pronunciation from time to time, but overall it's not bad. Kind of glad the Japanese voices weren't on the disc, otherwise I might have just skipped the dub based on the previews.

I am glad they gave us dual audio tho, it'll be nice to do New Game+ with the Japanese voices.

People complaining about a bad translation/voice acting.  Should be happy it's there at all and you wont have to read for 50+ hours.

If i wanted to read  book I would.

People complaining about a bad translation/voice acting. Should be happy it's there at all and you wont have to read for 50+ hours.

If i wanted to read book I would.
I guess you didn't play video games pre 2000's. JRPGs w/o voice acting work fine.

I guess you didn't play video games pre 2000's. JRPGs w/o voice acting work fine.
those 09'er getting lazier by the min, next they'll ask for a final fantasy with one button that does everything for you...

People complaining about a bad translation/voice acting. Should be happy it's there at all and you wont have to read for 50+ hours.

If i wanted to read book I would.
I only really listen during custscenes, and most of the game isn't cutscenes, so either way I'd be reading most of the dialogue. Also it's at least 80 from what I heard.

Also they claim Atlus JP told them how they wanted names to be spoken in English, but I call BS/misheard them because Tsukamato =/= Sakamoto lol

And jealous people already got the game, but that's alright have fun!

Don't know if it's proper to post this,  but I was able to find an early steelbook copy of Persona 5 on the Engineering Bay.  
Came out to $50 USD after I used a $15 targeted coupon.

I'm just ready for the waifu wars to begin. We'll forgot about this mispronunciations then.
I can already answer that one. Most of the people in this thread are going to like the nerdy glasses chick, Futaba.

Though my favorite will be the alpha female class president, Makoto.

I can already answer that one. Most of the people in this thread are going to like the nerdy glasses chick, Futaba.

Though my favorite will be the alpha female class president, Makoto.
Man I forgot we'd have to choose. Futaba is the worst one, I think you're right Makoto is the best now that I think about it

AKA 10 more days to finish zelda..
That's right. 10 more days to finish Zelda!

I actually haven't played Zelda at all this week. Might have gotten kinda burned out. This happens to me a lot with games. When I get to the very end of the game and there's just some side quest stuff to finish, then I quit, and mean to come back later.

That wouldn't be a new game announcement

That's right. 10 more days to finish Zelda!

I actually haven't played Zelda at all this week. Might have gotten kinda burned out. This happens to me a lot with games. When I get to the very end of the game and there's just some side quest stuff to finish, then I quit, and mean to come back later.
Yeah I'm burning out on tales of berseria. Game took me a lot longer than I expected. A 2 hour boss fight in a side quest sure didnt help!! Sad cuz I wanted to play nier automata before persona 5 dropped.

bread's done
Back