Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony and Nintendo Announce Dragon Quest XI Special PS4 and New 2DS XL Consoles

2s0haqf.jpg

2yoevbc.jpg

Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 rated in Korea

Dynasty Warriors 9 news coming in May

Blue Reflection Gets New Screenshots Showing First DLC, a Sailor Bikini Set

God Wars: Future Past Gets New Trailer and Free Summer DLC

Nintendo CEO Takes Us Through Their Venture Into The Smartphone Business

WOW! MSRP Should be $119.99- $124.99 instead $149.99. You all should waits till Black Friday for $99.99 ;)
Rant:

Honestly, it shouldn't even be $120. Most of the hardware is still ancient. Even when the 3ds initially came out in 2011 it was using old tech. And a lot of the hardware this new model has is the same. Sure it has new screens and a nub, but the meat and bones of the system is roughly the same outside of the processor, which itself isn't that great. It's still not anymore powerful than its competitor the vita - which is still running with the same tech it had since launch.

In my opinion this is hopefully the last revision of the system. Its time for new systems. These 3ds revisions are the definition of milking. Most 3ds games don't even use the N3ds processor and nub.

/End rant.

I started the game knowing that I would stick with Makoto.

But after going through both her and Futaba's confidant ranks, I ended up spending Christmas and Valentines Day with Futaba. Now I prefer her over Makoto, but it's still pretty close.

I'm sorry Makoto, I have forsaken you. 

It's $149.99.
Damn that's a deal breaker. Unless its compatible with the new 3ds exclusives.

Oh and someone else noticed it wont have the screen scratching since the bottom touch screen doesn't have the raised box thing apparently.

We are all in agreement then. Makoto best girl.
I think we all may just be. "looks out window to see if its raining blue fire"

Edit I see we have 2 futaba's here so cancel the forecast of flaming hail.

Oh, you poor deluded soul. That would require Capcom to do work, or care. It's probably a PC release of the new version of Street Fighter 2, Maximum Disappointment Edition.
Capcom will alter the Deep Down engine into Dragons Dogma 2. They already have the starting letters to match.

I have a legit complaint. Spent like 5 hours farming 7 aluminum plates and 1 liquid mercury. The last plate took 2-3 hours because of Ryuji's confidant.

Couldn't ambush, and on hard, that equates to those mobs being faster than you and capable of one-shotting the MC before you can act. That's some serious oversight with not being able to turn it off.

I have a legit complaint. Spent like 5 hours farming 7 aluminum plates and 1 liquid mercury. The last plate took 2-3 hours because of Ryuji's confidant.

Couldn't ambush, and on hard, that equates to those mobs being faster than you and capable of one-shotting the MC before you can act. That's some serious oversight with not being able to turn it off.
That shit drove me nuts too. I wish it could be disabled as I never saw a way to do it. However I did my farming in 5th palace for liquid mercury because I had enough aluminum plates from natural progression. Liquid mercury was a pain in the ass for me, but there was a fight after a (slow as hell) transition between areas that gave a group of 3-4 physical weak enemies in a specific fight.

I don't even want to imagine farming it in the side dungeon. I thought about it but decided against it unless I had no other choice.

Thanks for giving me a reason to put off leveling Ryuji to that rank. :???:

That would require Capcom to do work, or care.
This is sad, but true. At the moment Capcom is leaning REAL hard on their older work. It's been a long string of re-masters/re-releases. I don't blame them for wanting to cash-in on their older titles, and they have at least been pricing them correctly. But the debacle that was Street Fighter V's release does not inspire confidence for the future. I'm not planning on getting MvsC Infinite at launch.

Capcom seems a little too focused on short-term gains right now, and has not adapted properly to the modern game market. Street Fighter V was a chance for them to start experimenting with their business model, and they botched it.

Is there a need to farm aluminum plates and liquid mercury? I'm assuming for the lockpick? I just made it when I had enough matierals, which I did after the 5th dungeon

Is there a need to farm aluminum plates and liquid mercury? I'm assuming for the lockpick? I just made it when I had enough matierals, which I did after the 5th dungeon
I was still short by like 6 Mercury at the end of the 5th dungeon. That shit wouldn't drop for me at all. Had almost double what I needed on aluminum though. That dropped like candy for me. Now if it was my friend, he'd have gotten them all from casually going through the side dungeon before even reaching the 5th dungeon without any actual grinding for it. Some people just have more luck than others with RNG drops.

Technically I had enough normal lockpicks made at that point to cover me for the rest of the game. However I ended up crafting everything with the bench, so I guess it helped me gain a useless trophy?

So you can romance every girl in confidant persona 5 without any consequence right? Or does that affect the ending? Hehe!

Anyone know if there are any plans for a Western/English friendly re-release of Yakuza 2? I am aware that the PS2 version got a reprint, but I'm curious to know if the HD version that came out in Japan is headed stateside.
The HD 1&2 version was for the PS3 so that's not ever coming, but it's likely they'll announce a 2 remake this year for Japan, which we could see at the end of next year possibly. 2 is tied with 0 for my favorite entry so it'd be great to have

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe came in!

At the risk of saying something edgy, This game is alot of fun.  :whistle2:

Damn that's a deal breaker. Unless its compatible with the new 3ds exclusives.

Oh and someone else noticed it wont have the screen scratching since the bottom touch screen doesn't have the raised box thing apparently.
This seems to be a 2D version of the New 3DS, so I don't see why it wouldn't play the N3DS exclusives.

I figured farming for those might be a pain so I got all that I needed when I started to see them drop, which was in the fourth palace. In that location at least, Anzu drops the aluminum sheet, and Anubis drops the liquid mercury.

I started to get overleveled a little bit in that dungeon to the point that I was auto-ending battles with that Ryuji ability, but thankfully not so overleveled that the Anubis encounters were auto-ending for me.

I didn't have enough materials, obviously. I went back after what I thought was the end, and farmed them for all yesterday evening.

I had something like 14 plates and 7 liquid mercury. Got 2 more liquid mercury immediately, and the last one took forever to drop. Last plate took like 15 extra fights.

Of course, it was complicated by life drain doing 50%+ hp damage, mudon hitting 100% of the time even when strong against curse, and none of my characters being fast enough to act before the enemy without ambush.

This is probably a really dumb question, but how do you use the "luck reading" ability in p5? Is it automatic or do I dig thru the menus to enable it? I googled it but only saw something about spending 5000 yen to temp boost it but I can't figure out how to do that.

This is probably a really dumb question, but how do you use the "luck reading" ability in p5? Is it automatic or do I dig thru the menus to enable it? I googled it but only saw something about spending 5000 yen to temp boost it but I can't figure out how to do that.
You need to start the Fortune confidant for that (6/22 or later). At Rank 1, you can pay 5000 yen to get a one-time boost to a specified social stat when you do an activity that boosts it (e.g., bathing for Charm, fishing for Proficiency, etc.), and best of all, paying for that reading won't take up a time slot.

Based on what I've read, you won't see any visual indication that the boost applied--if you get two "musical notes" for doing something, you'll still see just the two notes--but the point value will be slightly larger.

You need to start the Fortune confidant for that (6/22 or later). At Rank 1, you can pay 5000 yen to get a one-time boost to a specified social stat when you do an activity that boosts it (e.g., bathing for Charm, fishing for Proficiency, etc.), and best of all, paying for that reading won't take up a time slot.

Based on what I've read, you won't see any visual indication that the boost applied--if you get two "musical notes" for doing something, you'll still see just the two notes--but the point value will be slightly larger.
Yeah, i have her at rank one. Then went to do work the flower shop, but i DID NOT see anything to trigger the 5000 yen boost. What do i do to get that?

Yeah, i have her at rank one. Then went to do work the flower shop, but i DID NOT see anything to trigger the 5000 yen boost. What do i do to get that?
If you talk to her during the day, then you should have the option to get the Luck Reading.

As I said, you won't actually see any difference: You'll pay the 5000 yen for a Kindness boost, go to work at the flower shop, and see the same visual boost in Kindness you'd normally see. It's more of a good-faith boost in that you trust it went up more.

I need to do it since I was supposed to spend an afternoon crafting but I went outside and saved in the Velvet Room. I didn't realize that you are locked out of Leblanc unless you make it change to evening. :lol: 

This week is pretty much Caligula and Trails in the Sky the 3rd. I haven't really heard anyone say anything about Caligula. Outside of those we have two sets of DLC releasing for NieR: Automata and Nioh this week it seems. Trails also launched their official site for the 3rd which has some pretty amusing character bios, but I recommend not looking at it unless you've played the second game. It has some character spoilers if you haven't come across them in the previous game. Granted one of them is outed already if you've played Cold Steel.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- The Eden of Grisaia (Visual Novel)
- Dong-Jin Rice-hime(東津萌米) (Visual Novel | Chinese Only)
- Wordlase (Puzzle / Word Play)

Weekly Releases (April 30th - May 6th)

NieR: Automata - 3C3C1D119440927 (DLC)
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: Action RPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A

Nioh: Dragon of the North (DLC)
- Platform(s): PS4
- Online: Yes.

The Caligula Effect
- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: RPG

- Comments: Digital only.

Citadale - The Legends Trilogy
- Platform(s): Wii U eShop
- Comments: Digital only. Some sort of 2D Castlevania clone. Not Japanese.

Trails in the Sky the 3rd
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: [customspoiler='Aww, yiss.']
3rd-icon-18.png

[/customspoiler] Third game in Sky trilogy with different main characters. Sets up the lore for all future games.

Shio
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Platformer
- Comments: Chinese dev.

Past Releases
April 23rd - April 29th
April 16th - April 22nd
April 9th - April 15th
April 2nd - April 8th
March 26th - April 1st

when you have so much money and don't know what to spend it on. Well. Time to go waste all of that Memento Money on fusions.
If you unlock the ability to fuse Persona that are above your level, that shit gets expensive very quickly. I think I tried something about 12 levels ahead of me when I finally unlocked it and they wanted either 171k or 271k. It was a pretty ridiculous amount.

I'm not not enjoying the game, per se. I do enjoy SMT more, which I know for a fact now. The characters are likeable. I say frustrated, but not in a rage quit sort of way. More in a "I didn't bother taking detail notes on a calendar, so I can't analyze how to make the second play through better, which means I'd have to use a guide, which means I'm going to get nothing out of a second play through."

It's complicated.
Yeah, I'd have to say this is a quibble I have with the game. Either it does not say, or says in an esoteric way that I've not uncovered, when confidants are available in advance. I remember in P4G that you knew the Sun (Band/Drama) events could be done on certain days of the week. Death was only on Sundays and Holidays. I think there was a similar mechanic in P3 as well. Not to mention the weather report in P4G made it easy to know which days you should be farming golden hands or stat boosting with the Beef Bowl challenge.

I've not found a similar listing of what days Ann will be around or what nights Sun will be speechifying, nor if there is going to be a high pollen count until the day off. Maybe it's something I missed (like the hit square to see if a confidant is an "UP"), but if it's there, it's not well surfaced like in P3 and P4. This is a drawback in a time management sim as you are hindered in effectively managing your time.

But I havent finished the game so who knows? Maybe there is so much time that it all becomes moot anyway.

Also, I'd like them to surface the points (Musical notes? Dancing High-Heeled Shoes?) need to rank up confidants and stats. But that's been the same in all the games so perhaps they feel the mystery is important?

Yeah, I'd have to say this is a quibble I have with the game. Either it does not say, or says in an esoteric way that I've not uncovered, when confidants are available in advance. I remember in P4G that you knew the Sun (Band/Drama) events could be done on certain days of the week. Death was only on Sundays and Holidays. I think there was a similar mechanic in P3 as well. Not to mention the weather report in P4G made it easy to know which days you should be farming golden hands or stat boosting with the Beef Bowl challenge.

I've not found a similar listing of what days Ann will be around or what nights Sun will be speechifying, nor if there is going to be a high pollen count until the day off. Maybe it's something I missed (like the hit square to see if a confidant is an "UP"), but if it's there, it's not well surfaced like in P3 and P4. This is a drawback in a time management sim as you are hindered in effectively managing your time.

But I havent finished the game so who knows? Maybe there is so much time that it all becomes moot anyway.

Also, I'd like them to surface the points (Musical notes? Dancing High-Heeled Shoes?) need to rank up confidants and stats. But that's been the same in all the games so perhaps they feel the mystery is important?
Not that it addresses all of your concerns, but Sun usually talks only on Sunday evenings.

If you unlock the ability to fuse Persona that are above your level, that shit gets expensive very quickly. I think I tried something about 12 levels ahead of me when I finally unlocked it and they wanted either 171k or 271k. It was a pretty ridiculous amount.
It can also get pretty expensive if you register personas and rebuy them semi frequently.

Still salty that ATLUS decided to only do a Digital Release for the Caligula Effect. :T

not even a limited physical release was given a thought

I picked up a pretty good find here at my local Flea Market today, a framed Shenmue poster. My camera sucks so the color is off but it's pretty nice. The guy had it up against the back of his van so it wasn't out to be displayed for sale, it was the first thing I noticed when I got out of my car to go browse around. I asked him if he was selling it and he sold it to me for $15.00.

qhXl7Gn.jpg

I took a very long break from Berserk and the Band of The Hawk but in the last few days have had some time and managed to finish the game and get most of the way through Endless Eclipse mode with Guts. I was planning on getting the plat for this but I am reconsidering whether I am willing to invest the time it will take almost entirely because of the Femto battle on layer 100.

You have to play through the endless eclipse with each playable character and complete at least layer 1-100. The Femto battle is so bad because the boss is so broken and Casca is so horrible a character I'm not sure how reasonable this is. I really want to get the plat and the other playable characters won't be too bad but good god Casca sucks.

Overall I'd give this game a 7/10, if you are a Berserk fan or Musou fan it is definitely worth running through story mode and having some fun with. If you go for 100% I would not recommend it here.

bread's done
Back