Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes, Atlus - the company that consistently makes and publishes niche, hardcore games that other companies wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole - being bought by Nintendo, the most conservative company in the industry. A company that has, for years, refused to develop or publish games desperately wanted by their most loyal fans.

It'd be a match made in heaven.  :roll:

I actually don't think Sony has a chance at all...

Quick, name a Atlus developed game for PS3.

Catherine (multi) 

and according to wiki

Atlus had published 8 PS3 games, vs 10 360 games.

On Wii, Atlus only published 9 games, however, out of those 9, 3 were developed by Atlus

On Vita, just P4G with Dragon's Crown coming. 1 Developed by Atlus,

On 3DS,  6 with 4 developed by Atlus.

In the 7 years of PS3's life, Atlus had essentially skip them other than 1 multi platform title.   I am pretty confident they won't suddenly jump into Sony's arm.

However, who knows what will happen.   Of the 3 console makers, I place more trust in N encouraging Atlus being Atlus.  

Ah yes, Atlus - the company that consistently makes and publishes niche, hardcore games that other companies wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole - being bought by Nintendo, the most conservative company in the industry. A company that has, for years, refused to develop or publish games desperately wanted by their most loyal fans.

It'd be a match made in heaven. :roll:
I would hate to see Atlus go to Nintendo but it wouldn't be too hard to believe. Nintendo of America may have been idiotic towards niche games (which is probably why Iwata is taking over) but NoE and NoJ seem to be open to risks. Plus, the SMT series is pretty popular so it would give Nintendo another series to add to their stable. And Atlus and Nintendo already have a pretty good relationship due to all the handheld titles Atlus releases on the DS and 3DS.

Oh, sure, I'm not saying it couldn't happen. While I do believe Nintendo and Atlus are almost as philosophically opposite as two publishers could be, there obviously have been good relations between the two. I'm just saying it would end up pretty shitty for us, the fans.

Why would you want the death of Atlus along side Nintendo? I am sorry, but I like Atlus games a lot, but if they were to go to any first party companies, they would lose my interest a lot.

Doesnt matter if you are a Nintendo or Sony fanboy, it is best for Atlus to remain independent.  Nintendo and Sony American has showed RPG is not a priority for them with Nintendo skipping Last Story and Sony skipping Demon Soul in the USA.

Doesnt matter if you are a Nintendo or Sony fanboy, it is best for Atlus to remain independent. Nintendo and Sony American has showed RPG is not a priority for them with Nintendo skipping Last Story and Sony skipping Demon Soul in the USA.
SCEA skipped out on Demon Souls because they didn't think anyone would enjoy the game.

"What happened with Demon's Souls was until very late in the game's development, we were not able to play the game through. There were framerate issues and the network was not up and running. We underestimated the quality of the game and to be honest, the media in Japan did the same."

He added that his own first impression of the game was extremely negative.

"For my personal experience with Demon's Souls, when it was close to final I spent close to two hours playing it and after two hours I was still standing at the beginning at the game. I said, 'This is crap. This is an unbelievably bad game.' So I put it aside.

It'd be a match made in heaven. :roll:
Odd enough you say that. I noticed in the past couple of months Nintendo changing that stance. I mean we have Earthbound now after how many years of public outcry. I would imagine Nintendo isn't getting the sales they want on WiiU and the development for HD is killing them. Plus with the new Xeno game, Nintendo is showcasing that right off as a main title for the WiiU.

Atlus games can sell a ton, if Nintendo promotes them. Nintendo has the fanbase.

I see what you're saying, I just don't trust Nintendo in the long term. They are listening right now because the Wii U isn't doing well, that's obvious, but if it was they'd probably tell us all to bugger off like they used to. Even now, whenever they do give in to fan demand it almost seems like they're only grudgingly doing so. They're willing to sell a couple dozen thousand copies of Earthbound on VC, but sometimes I get the feeling they'd be much happier if we all simply forgot about the series and left them alone about it.

And even in the best case scenario, would you really be ok with no more Atlus games on PS3/4, or Vita, or even PC? I sure as hell wouldn't.

(Also I realize it's overly easy to confuse NoA / NoJ and Atlus Inc. / Atlus USA in this discussion but hopefully my points are making some sense.)

And even in the best case scenario, would you really be ok with no more Atlus games on PS3/4, or Vita, or even PC? I sure as hell wouldn't.
The only things they've even released on non-Nintendo systems lately is the Persona series and Catherine.

Unless you're talking about the stuff they publish, in which case I'd be fine with it if they turned their attentions to the niche titles that Nintendo doesn't want to bring over themselves. Half of the stuff they publish nowadays isn't even worth bringing over.

The only things they've even released on non-Nintendo systems lately is the Persona series and Catherine.

Unless you're talking about the stuff they publish, in which case I'd be fine with it if they turned their attentions to the niche titles that Nintendo doesn't want to bring over themselves. Half of the stuff they publish nowadays isn't even worth bringing over.
Why would Nintendo need to keep Atlus USA around when they already got Treehouse?

(Also I realize it's overly easy to confuse NoA / NoJ and Atlus Inc. / Atlus USA in this discussion but hopefully my points are making some sense.)
Quite honestly I am fine not seeing games on PS4/Vita if it had to happen, although I would rather see Atlus games on PS4 and Nintendo. Quite honestly I am just afraid of Microsoft buying them and then we have SMT Kinect. Oh god the horrors, lol.

Quite honestly I am just afraid of Microsoft buying them and then we have SMT Kinect. Oh god the horrors, lol.
You're going to have to "dance like crazy" in real life during the demon negotiations. Depending on your performance, the demon will either leave in disgust or attack you for being so bad haha

Namco Bandai has announced that there will be a special edition of Saint Seiya: Brave Soldiers.

saint01_thumb.jpg

This package includes the PlayStation 3 game, a Pegasus Seiya with the classic Pegasus cloth costume and a DLC code to unlock that costume for Seiya in a special box for 13,480 yen ($135).
And...

First print copies include a code that adds Shion as a playable character and a Saint Seiya theme.

Actually you guys I think Nintendo's going to buy Sony. Not only would it take care of all Nintendo's problems with HD development, it would allow my Nathan Drake x Wario fanfics to become almost semi-canon.

Nintendo 4 life ~^_^~

Hakuoki - Amazon - $11.44 (PSP)

http://www.amazon.com/Hakuoki-Demon-Fleeting-Blossom-Sony-PSP/dp/B005T3GSBS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1374595723&sr=8-7&keywords=Aksys+games

Sweet Fuse Pre-order at Amazon with Bonus - $29.99

http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Fuse-order-bonus-Sony-PSP/dp/B00BFU8IFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374595723&sr=8-1&keywords=Aksys+games

------

The top 25 Japanese RPG games poll results (Gameranx) and I'm guessing a lot of people on this thread own these games: :bow:

http://www.gameranx.com/features/id/16096/article/top-25-best-japanese-rpgs-of-all-time/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gameranx+%28Gameranx%29#p25

http://rocketnews24.com/2013/07/23/352648/

---Side note...I nearly own everything except Xenoblade Chronicles...because I waited and was expecting for it to go down in price.  How I wrong I was... :(  and I have stil yet to get "Last Story" (I rarely play any games on my Wii).

The top 25 Japanese RPG games poll results (Gameranx) and I'm guessing a lot of people on this thread own these games: :bow:

http://www.gameranx.com/features/id/16096/article/top-25-best-japanese-rpgs-of-all-time/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gameranx+%28Gameranx%29#p25

http://rocketnews24.com/2013/07/23/352648/

---Side note...I nearly own everything except Xenoblade Chronicles...because I waited and was expecting for it to go down in price. How I wrong I was... :( and I have stil yet to get "Last Story" (I rarely play any games on my Wii).
That's actually a damn good list. I whole-heartedly agree with #1. I'm surprised Vagrant Story isn't on there... and I'm really shocked to see The Last Story on there at all. Also shocking, FFXII being so much higher than X and Nier being on the list-- I didn't personally think much of it, but I could see the argument being made for it based on it's "unique-ness".

That's actually a damn good list. I whole-heartedly agree with #1. I'm surprised Vagrant Story isn't on there... and I'm really shocked to see The Last Story on there at all. Also shocking, FFXII being so much higher than X and Nier being on the list-- I didn't personally think much of it, but I could see the argument being made for it based on it's "unique-ness".
That is because you didn't beat Nier 4 times and watch the game delete your save file... pretty epic imo

That is because you didn't beat Nier 4 times and watch the game delete your save file... pretty epic imo
Actually, yeah, I did. Again, I'm not saying it doesn't deserve to be on there, just surprised to see it there.

On a side note, I actually own all of those games but still need to play some of them.

Nier being on that list adds a huge amount of validity to it, and that is awesome! And hell, the Japanese version doesn't even have one of the things that really helped the game's mature tone (the adult main character). Their main version of the game has him as your typical Tidus-esque youngster.

Nier being on that list adds a huge amount of validity to it, and that is awesome! And hell, the Japanese version doesn't even have one of the things that really helped the game's mature tone (the adult main character). Their main version of the game has him as your typical Tidus-esque youngster.
He was like 15? during the first half of the game, and I believe he was like 21 during the 2nd half? Totally different look, and even a different VA. He was an adult.. just not OLD lol.

The list is great overall, but it's clearly missing Final Fantasy IV.  Put it in place of The Last Story, and the list would be pretty godly.

Edit: Not that I agree with a lot of the ordering, it's still a solid list.

I think ordering is too difficult to get people to agree on. I take the list as a top 25, not a 22 > 23 > 24, etc. have you gone back and played FFIV lately? I did just last year, and I think a lot of that game's praise is little more than nostalgia. The gameplay is perfectly fine (your standard old Final Fantasy) but the story is nothing short of ridiculous. Nearly every character that 'dies' just comes back alive and well not too long after their dramatic 'death' scene. I was fine with it the first time or two, but it got to be absolutely ridiculous and killed the story for me. It was like some kind of purposeful joke. lol

I think only the people who complained about getting damaged tins are getting replacements as they were put on a replacement tin list. Here's the text from the email:

Dear Valued Customer and Protector of Gamindustri,

Thank you for your support by making your purchase of the Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory Limited Edition! It means a lot to us to have fans like you who are excited about the titles we bring over and the bonuses we create! You always make our day!

We wanted to give you an update that we have received the replacement tins for the Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory Limited Edition at our warehouse. They have been checked to ensure that the replacements are in great condition, and we will be getting these ready to ship to you!

At this time, we are happy to report that if you received this message, then you are on our replacement list, and you will be receiving the correct amount of replacement tins that you ordered. This means if you ordered 2 Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory Limited Editions, then you will be receiving 2 outer tins, unless you specifically requested for less.

We will begin shipping these replacement tins starting Monday, July 19th, 2013. You will have a tracking number sent to your e-mail once the item is in transit! We will be shipping your replacement to the same shipping address used for your order of the Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory Limited Edition unless otherwise instructed!

Once more, we really appreciate your patience and support with this situation. Until next time, please have a great day!

Best wishes,

NISA Online Store
http://store.nisamerica.com/
[email protected]
(714) 540-1185

Really surprised to see Nier there. That being said, I loved the game too :D For the first 30 minutes I was like "what the heck is this..." but it grew on me! I played it through until it deleted my save file - that reminds me I still have to go for the 15 hour achievement :)

Chrono Trigger and Seiken Densetsu are no surprise. I think i've played Seiken Densetsu 2 + 3 through 6-7 each with friends :)

Never had the chance to play Thousand Year Door. The only one i've touched is Super Mario RPG on the SNES. I may have to look at picking the series up!

Really surprised to see Nier there. That being said, I loved the game too :D For the first 30 minutes I was like "what the heck is this..." but it grew on me! I played it through until it deleted my save file - that reminds me I still have to go for the 15 hour achievement :)

Chrono Trigger and Seiken Densetsu are no surprise. I think i've played Seiken Densetsu 2 + 3 through 6-7 each with friends :)

Never had the chance to play Thousand Year Door. The only one i've touched is Super Mario RPG on the SNES. I may have to look at picking the series up!
Man, Thousand Year Door is SO GOOD. I've played and really enjoyed every Mario RPG released, but that one just shines brighter than all the rest. That game should be played by all 'Cube owners!

Chrono Trigger DS is by far the worst version. The Tiny Screen makes the already small sprites lose a lot of detail, and the new ending they tacked on is the most depressing thing I've ever seen. It completely takes the happy ending of the original version, shoots it in the back of the head, and leaves it in a ditch to die.

Chrono Trigger DS is by far the worst version. The Tiny Screen makes the already small sprites lose a lot of detail, and the new ending they tacked on is the most depressing thing I've ever seen. It completely takes the happy ending of the original version, shoots it in the back of the head, and leaves it in a ditch to die.
Nonsense, the DS version is great. The original SNES version is probably still my favorite, but the DS version adds a bestiary, item indexes, and all the additional content from the Playstation version. Said Playstation version is unquestionably the worst version, by the way - those loading times are ridiculous.

I haven't played Chrono Trigger yet either (but it's in the backlog and yes the Playstation is the worst and I completely agree from what I read before I bought the DS version), but as usual, any greatest JRPG list reminds me of one thing.

Part of the reason I got into them because the RPGs that I used to enjoy just rolled and died in a fire in the 90s and I just can't do the boring gameplay and ultra-realism approach of most modern games anymore - while the battle systems of the Tales of games and Ys games keep me coming back for more.

I love Wizardry-ish games and all too, but it actually has to be...Wizardry.  A turn-based game is fine if it has the level design and challenge to back it up.

Ugh that top 25 jrpgs list is so awful IMO. Final Fantasy 12?? SERIOUSLY??? Also, I really don't think Demon Souls belongs on a list like that. It's just a completely different sort of game.

Yea, I'm not feeling that list so much. Final Fantasy X and XII... bleh. Paper Mario 1 > Thousand Year Door.

That list is pretty meh. FF XII doesn't deserve to be on there (even though I enjoyed it). Other games that I question are Dark Souls, The World Ends With You and Nier.

I loved Nier, but it felt less like an RPG and more like an adventure game. Dark Souls is just a brutal game. Good, but nothing best 25 ever about it. I hated TWEWY so nothing to say about that one.

I'm not feeling it either.  Another point to make is - how can you make a list like that without a mention of...Ys, Star Ocean, Tales of, or any pure dungeon crawler outside of SMT?  That shouldn't be possible unless you never played them.

And no, Persona doesn't count as a dungeon crawler....IMHO of course.  :)

Just as a reminder - lots of Atlus games are still on sale on the PSN network.

I thought Lunar 2 was a wonderful RPG that is probably in my top 25. That game doesn't get enough recognition. Also, Fire Emblem should be on that list somewhere.

I'm not feeling it either. Another point to make is - how can you make a list like that without a mention of...Ys, Star Ocean, Tales of, or any pure dungeon crawler outside of SMT? That shouldn't be possible unless you never played them.

And no, Persona doesn't count as a dungeon crawler....IMHO of course. :)

Just as a reminder - lots of Atlus games are still on sale on the PSN network.
Yes, the Persona games are on sale again. This time all the PSP games are $10 and Persona 4 Golden is $20.

Nonsense, the DS version is great. The original SNES version is probably still my favorite, but the DS version adds a bestiary, item indexes, and all the additional content from the Playstation version. Said Playstation version is unquestionably the worst version, by the way - those loading times are ridiculous.
Yeah, the ordering is definitely SNES >>>>>>>>>> DS > PS1. I never understood why they remove Frog's accent in latter releases though. The smaller screen actually doesn't hurt the graphics... they look fantastic on DSL/i screens.

Yeah, the ordering is definitely SNES >>>>>>>>>> DS > PS1. I never understood why they remove Frog's accent in latter releases though. The smaller screen actually doesn't hurt the graphics... they look fantastic on DSL/i screens.
That was because he doesn't talk formally like that in the Japanese version, and the DS version is trying to be more faithful than the original.

However I have to say I enjoyed Ted Woolsey translation a lot more than the update, even if it is not as accurate.

Since people were discussing the Soul Saga kickstarter a while back, I wanted to mention this one I came across.  It's called Last Dream and is modeled after the first Final Fantasy game.  It's an RPGMaker game, but it looks like one of the most ambitious I've seen.

• 40+ hours of dynamic gameplay
  • 15+ additional hours of immersive side quests
  • 1+ hours of interspersed flashbacks
  • 200+ compositions from talented, independent artists
  • 50 mind-bending puzzles
  • 200+ tracked achievements
  • 500+ unique paths by virtue of the non-linear gameplay
  • 701 page comprehensive Strategy Guide and walkthrough
  • Thoughtfully-crafted storyline with memorable characters
  • Classic turn-based battle system and graphics
  • Adjustable difficulty level and custom scripts
  • 4-character party selected from 8 unique classes
  • Leaderboards! (visit our website at WhiteGiantRPG.com)
The game is done and set to be released on July 31.  The Kickstarter is actually raising money for the sequel, which is part of the $25 reward tier.  $15 will get you just the first game.  There are only 37 hours left to go, and they're about $800 away from their final stretch goal, an expansion pack for the first game.  There's a lengthy demo available and you can also check out the strategy guide for details on the game.

So does anyone think there's danger of the Persona games being pulled from PSN & I should buy a $50 PSN card to get the 4 Persona game downloads?

I own the 3 PSP titles but I would want access to them with a potential Vita purchase. I have FES on disk so I'm not as worried about that one.

So does anyone think there's danger of the Persona games being pulled from PSN & I should buy a $50 PSN card to get the 4 Persona game downloads?

I own the 3 PSP titles but I would want access to them with a potential Vita purchase. I have FES on disk so I'm not as worried about that one.
Only if Atlus goes out of business. Oh wait...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back