Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
  let me guess the distributor is digital rivers?
Nope. NIS America has good shipping/packaging, never had a dent. It's even free, at least every one of my orders has been. They often even toss in small extras like a sticker sheet of Prinny or other Disgaea characters, wasn't even a Disgaea game I ordered at the time.

Nope. NIS America has good shipping/packaging, never had a dent. It's even free, at least every one of my orders has been. They often even toss in small extras like a sticker sheet of Prinny or other Disgaea characters, wasn't even a Disgaea game I ordered at the time.
thanks that is good to know

So I know you guys probably aren't so much in the whole PC gaming thing but Groupees has a Doujin (Japanese indie) PC game bundle going on right now super cheap. It's a build a bundle so you pick which ones you want with a minimum of two which comes to $1.50 min and then each additional one adds a little. Bonus games you get free with purchase no matter how many you buy.

There's some visual novels, a shooter, fighting game, hack and slash etc.

Cherry Tree High Comedy Club and Ether Vapor Remaster come with Steam keys, most of the rest come with Desura keys and you also get the option for a straight DRM free download. Most of these aren't really very intensive games so they should run okay even on modest PCs.

The Jisei/Kansei/Yousei visual novels also are available for Mac and Linux.

http://groupees.com/doujin

So I know you guys probably aren't so much in the whole PC gaming thing but Groupees has a Doujin (Japanese indie) PC game bundle going on right now super cheap. It's a build a bundle so you pick which ones you want with a minimum of two which comes to $1.50 min and then each additional one adds a little. Bonus games you get free with purchase no matter how many you buy.

Cherry Tree High Comedy Club and Ether Vapor Remaster come with Steam keys, most of the rest come with Desura keys and you also get the option for a straight DRM free download. Most of these aren't really very intensive games so they should run okay even on modest PCs.

Bought the whole lot, lol. $4.50 for all that isn't bad at all.

Does anyone know when the last XSeed sale was on their PSP library on PSN? Looking to get the Ys games and LoH: TitS as downloads now that I have a Vita. Thanks in advance.

It seems like Killer is Dead flopped pretty badly in Japan. Not a good sign for Grasshopper and Kadokawa. 

Now I'm not sure if I still want to keep my preorder for it since I've been strapped for money this month between Dragon's Crown, Xillia, and Pikmin 3.

I got Tales of Symphonia Chronicles as one of my Amazon Quick Picks today, so that's something to look out for.

It seems like Killer is Dead flopped pretty badly in Japan. Not a good sign for Grasshopper and Kadokawa.

Now I'm not sure if I still want to keep my preorder for it since I've been strapped for money this month between Dragon's Crown, Xillia, and Pikmin 3.
I was going to wait, but I want the preorder stuff.

And do any of their games sell well?

Suda51 just can't catch a break.
If people actually gave his games a chance than maybe he could catch a break. Of all the Suda51 games I have played I have enjoyed. Not many people gave Lollipop Chainsaw the light of day but I really enjoyed that game and got the 1000/1000.

Hey thanks for posting this. Picked up all the games.

If people actually gave his games a chance than maybe he could catch a break. Of all the Suda51 games I have played I have enjoyed. Not many people gave Lollipop Chainsaw the light of day but I really enjoyed that game and got the 1000/1000.
I still remember when No More Heroes first came out for the Wii in Japan, and he was handing out autographed No More Heroes Toilet paper as a promotion for the game. No one stopped by to buy a copy, I felt so bad for him.

I played it and thought it was below average and not really worth playing through. I wanted to like it, but just didn't.

I played the original No More Heroes on the Wii and enjoyed it. The only thing I hate is the terrible driving from place to place.

I love all of Suda 51s games, I've never played killer 7 but I own every other and can't wait for killer is dead, they are so out there and just awesome, I will say lollipop is by far the weakest of his games but I enjoyed it and can't wait for killer is dead! I got it preordered for all the extras, they look so cool!

I would bet that most people wouldn't like his games. I enjoy the humor and concept, but his games have the terrible mechanics and design, and feel outdated/unrefined. Lollipop Chainsaw was probably his best work but even that wouldn't appeal to most people.

We've seen many other niche games with low allotments end up selling well (Katamari, Odin Sphere, Okami, etc.; at least in the west)) but those were substantially better than anything Suda51 made.

I would bet that most people wouldn't like his games. I enjoy the humor and concept, but his games have the terrible mechanics and design, and feel outdated/unrefined. Lollipop Chainsaw was probably his best work but even that wouldn't appeal to most people.

We've seen many other niche games with low allotments end up selling well (Katamari, Odin Sphere, Okami, etc.) but those were substantially better than anything Suda51 made.
Without a doubt this. I played No More Heroes after all the praise and thought I was playing a completely different game than everyone else. By the time I finished it / started reading forums, it seemed like fans were writing off flaws as features. I really need to get some CAG's to start writing off my flaws as awesome features. =[

One of my favorites was that the town was actually designed to be empty (lets totally forget this is not a high budget game or came from a powerful system in any way) as a way to reference the fact that Travis's life was actually empty.

I would bet that most people wouldn't like his games. I enjoy the humor and concept, but his games have the terrible mechanics and design, and feel outdated/unrefined. Lollipop Chainsaw was probably his best work but even that wouldn't appeal to most people.We've seen many other niche games with low allotments end up selling well (Katamari, Odin Sphere, Okami, etc.; at least in the west)) but those were substantially better than anything Suda51 made.
He really needs to learn how to balance stle with substance,which is something that Shinji Mikami knows how to do really well with his games

Another problem with Killer is Dead is the timing of the US release.....it's really causing me to pass on it. I like Suda games, but yeah way too much for August. I also had to pass on Project Diva F which is pretty cool as well. Will I get both later...of course....just August is way too loaded....still trying to kill off an immense backlog as well. 

I love Suda51, my issue is there seemingly is a section of his games that I hate.

Shadows of the Damned - The section where you get the big boner and have to shoot giant monsters in a rail shooter esque section (ugh!)

Lollipop Chainsaw - Baseball part where your boyfriend runs around and the lock on fights you to keep zombies off him (aarrghh!)

Suda51, I love the core mechanics of your games, this mini side games drive me mad buddy.

Thank you for posting, look into this.

Another problem with Killer is Dead is the timing of the US release.....it's really causing me to pass on it. I like Suda games, but yeah way too much for August. I also had to pass on Project Diva F which is pretty cool as well. Will I get both later...of course....just August is way too loaded....still trying to kill off an immense backlog as well.
I totally forgot about that game. Now that you've reminded me, I think I'll switch my preorder over to it since I want to support Sega for even trying to localize something like Vocaloids.

I totally forgot about that game. Now that you've reminded me, I think I'll switch my preorder over to it since I want to support Sega for even trying to localize something like Vocaloids.
Awesome!

That's the reason I have the game preordered. The early sales number is important and I want to get in while it matters, not months later. While I do not know the innerworking on making such decision, but look at Valkyria Chronicles... did failry poorly initially, then caught on but by that time it was already going to PSP. Just checked VG Chartz, worldwide over a million sold yet we couldn't keep it on PS3.

Early first week sales and such are so important for numbers....but dang it's not good for the CAG. I will always get niche games early and full price though. Do what I can to support all the developers releasing many of my favorite games...and some misstep games that try new things but just aren't too great, but are a great risk compared to another COD iteration.

When did the fan first appear on their store?  Would have been a great bonus item, but I could imagine all the bitching had people received ripped fans from GS/Amazon.

I'm thinking of pre-ordering kingdom hearts 1.5 and I was wondering if anyone knew how nice the artbook was going to be? Hardcover or just something cheap?

I'm thinking of pre-ordering kingdom hearts 1.5 and I was wondering if anyone knew how nice the artbook was going to be? Hardcover or just something cheap?
It's small, but hardcover. Also comes with a dynamic theme.

. The 24-page, hardcover art book will treat fans to an array of visuals such as character renders, promotional art and artwork of the different Disney worlds from KINGDOM HEARTS FINAL MIX, KINGDOM HEARTS Re:Chain of Memories, and KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 Days.

has anyone seen a PxZ LE at Best Buy?  I was at a few stores over the weekend and didn't see any LE versions - lot's of the regular version (over a dozen at one location.  The stock image online shows the LE but not sure if BB ever had the LE. 

FWIW, the stores had ToX LE (not CE) but no regular versions.

has anyone seen a PxZ LE at Best Buy?  I was at a few stores over the weekend and didn't see any LE versions - lot's of the regular version (over a dozen at one location.  The stock image online shows the LE but not sure if BB ever had the LE. 

my store only has the pxz le, and tox le

has anyone seen a PxZ LE at Best Buy? I was at a few stores over the weekend and didn't see any LE versions - lot's of the regular version (over a dozen at one location. The stock image online shows the LE but not sure if BB ever had the LE.

ToX came out last week and PxZ came out in June. Most locations most likely sold out of the PxZ LE by now. Although I can argue that PxZ is worth the money, even without the LE. So finding PxZ LE is highly YMMV, and well finding a ToX LE is going to become harder and harder.

Also rumors are announcement over who bought Index (Owners of Atlus) are coming out soon. Hopefully Sega nabs them and not J.Trust. I don't trust J Trust to keep Atlus as a developer of actual games.

http://operationrainfall.com/index-rehab-sega-j-trust-bidding/

Is Sega really a good idea given how they never released VC3 overseas? Sure, they're bringing over Project Diva F, but I dunno...
i agree, Sega need bring over lot more games. never got the sequel on Saturn, or the ps2 remake too dragon force, but we get a dime a dozen new sonic games .

but i think their learning an localizing more titles .

has anyone seen a PxZ LE at Best Buy? I was at a few stores over the weekend and didn't see any LE versions - lot's of the regular version (over a dozen at one location. The stock image online shows the LE but not sure if BB ever had the LE.

The store i work at over in Jersey has 2 LE sitting in box since launch

ToX came out last week and PxZ came out in June. Most locations most likely sold out of the PxZ LE by now. Although I can argue that PxZ is worth the money, even without the LE. So finding PxZ LE is highly YMMV, and well finding a ToX LE is going to become harder and harder.

Also rumors are announcement over who bought Index (Owners of Atlus) are coming out soon. Hopefully Sega nabs them and not J.Trust. I don't trust J Trust to keep Atlus as a developer of actual games.

http://operationrainfall.com/index-rehab-sega-j-trust-bidding/
Someone like J Trust is more likely to keep everything the same than some exiting game company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back