Jimmy Snuka's wrestling topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vermin - probably trying to sucker people in. That pic you posted looks like what they send.

This has nothing to do with anything, but I was watching the Taker-Cena match from Vengeance '03 again on the UT DVD last night. God DAMN was Cena an AWESOME heel. I was knocked on my ass. Even if he hadn't done the in-ring rap he would have come off like the most bitter, arrogant, mean, disrespectful prick. I couldn't believe it. Slapping 'Taker right at the beginning after avoiding his punches was a nice touch too.

fuck im feeling tipsy...

anyways since we talkin bout shirts... i love my kevin nash size matters shirt.. i wear that shit to bars and clubs all the time and hoez always say sum shit about it

heel cena ruled

[quote name='guyver2077']smackdowns been better then raw for some time[/QUOTE]
It's been better than Raw on a regular basis for about a year, or at least since Finlay starting having weekly great matches.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']It's been better than Raw on a regular basis for about a year, or at least since Finlay starting having weekly great matches.[/QUOTE]

Just weird that everyone on here always watches Raw and talks about how much it sucks yet on Friday nights this place is pretty silent.

Well, SD also has a feeling that nothing historic is happening, which is understandable given how little emphasis WWE gives it compared to Raw, whose PPV SD put over tonight while the SD PPV last week got nary a mention on Raw.

[quote name='Roufuss']Just weird that everyone on here always watches Raw and talks about how much it sucks yet on Friday nights this place is pretty silent.[/QUOTE]

I think it has a lot to do with what day it is on. Monday nights most people are not doing anything, but Friday nights they are.

I actually forget to watch it a lot of the time because I just forget it is on.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I think it has a lot to do with what day it is on. Monday nights most people are not doing anything, but Friday nights they are.

I actually forget to watch it a lot of the time because I just forget it is on.[/QUOTE]

Man, it's a shame, the hour I watched of it tonight was easily better than anything Raw has put out in a long time.

Well... maybe except for the Boogeyman part of the show. The Chavo / Benoit match was decent until the DQ I thought, but man, Chavo is an asshole.

Sorry if this is repeated information, but the ROH store is having a sale on a ton of DVDs ($10 each), and 10% off all orders when you use the code "bigten". I think I'll have to pick a few things up; any suggestions from people with a lot of ROH knowledge?

Smackdown! was pretty good, but the main event was semi-weak, as Undertaker is to Smackdown! as HHH is to RAW.

I dream of the day when those two, and a few others, are douched from the world of professional wrestling. Then again, it may be too late to push "young" stars by that time...

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']It's been better than Raw on a regular basis for about a year, or at least since Finlay starting having weekly great matches.[/QUOTE]
Yep. I was stunned when I discovered that Finlay was on Smackdown -- even more stunned when I found out that he was in the main event mix.

Finlay is the shit.

[quote name='Brak']Smackdown! was pretty good, but the main event was semi-weak, as Undertaker is to Smackdown! as HHH is to RAW.[/quote]Not even close. Kennedy's definitely in a better position than when he started this feud.

[quote name='Genocidal']Not even close. Kennedy's definitely in a better position than when he started this feud.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. But he won by first blood.

And that blood was drawn by first blood, and then his other win was negated by Taker beating the everloving motherfucking shit out of him after the match. Kennedy hasn't gained much from this feud aside from showing he can hang with a main eventer in terms of getting crowd heat. Hopefall, if the ROH deal covers all DVDs, then both the Kobashi-Joe singles and tag match ones are worth buying, as is the recent ROH/CZW Cage of Death show with JJ Dillon as the gatekeeper. The Glory by Honor V shows are also worth a look, as is Punk's original farewell, with endless streamers hitting the ring.

Edit - Now I'm looking at the site, and it doesn't apply to everything. It does apply to the best of Bryan Danielson though, and that should be awesome if you're a technical wrestling fan. ROH Reborn: Completion is also available, and has the final Punk-Steamboat confrontation on it, which Gabe says was the most Steamboat could legally do due to his insurance. The Midnight Express Reunion show is also $10, and quite historic since it features their reunion and Joe-Danielson. It All Begins features a Joe-Foley confronation, which would've been a match, but Mick didn't feel he was in good enough shape for it. Another good deal there.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']

Edit - Now I'm looking at the site, and it doesn't apply to everything.[/QUOTE]

ROH DVD's that caught my eye:

Scramble Cage Melee (CM Punk, Joe, and Homicide 3 way + the Scramble Cage)
Final Battle '02 (Corino, Joe, AmDrag, Low Ki 4 way)
Vendetta '05 (Rave, Shelly, Nana, Abyss vs. Aries, Styles, Evans, Sydal)
Best of Second City Saints
Best of Gen Next (Aries, Shelley, and Strong are really overlooked in my opinion)

That Full Impact "Big Year Bash 1" looks decent too. Gibson and Roderick is great, and Homicide and Nigel sounds interesting). I just bought a FIP DVD (the tournament for the first champion, part two) from Tower for $4, and it's worth it alone for the CM Punk/Homicide final that went all over the arena.

[quote name='mykevermin'] I think there are a handful of exceptions - worn right, a Hulkamania shirt, or perhaps a Hot Rod! shirt, could be pulled off both without irony and without embarrassment. Anything with Bret Hart on it, however...nope.

There are some that could be worn in that tragically/ironically hip sort of way...like the Ravishing Rick Rude shirt, or the Wild Samoans. I'm still waiting for them to release a grey/black sleeve baseball style shirt with Demolition on it. It may happen. It may.[/QUOTE]
I have a friend who does screenprinting for a ton of bands, and in his free time reprints old WWF shirts. I've gotten the old school Macho Man shirt with the big sunglasses, an old Warrior shirt with just his facepaint/logo on the front, and the old Rockers shirt (http://www.bitetv.ca/blog/archives/rockers.jpg).

[quote name='mykevermin']You need to see if he'll be willing to send some of those out to me. What's his price, typically?[/QUOTE]
For wrestling shirts, it depends on if he's got a screen for it already. If he gets enough requests for stuff, he'll make new screens - it's just not worth it to make a screen for one shirt. The things I've gotten from him are typically in the $10-15 range, if he charges me at all. I'll ask around.

[quote name='JJSP']I have a friend who does screenprinting for a ton of bands, and in his free time reprints old WWF shirts. I've gotten the old school Macho Man shirt with the big sunglasses, an old Warrior shirt with just his facepaint/logo on the front, and the old Rockers shirt (http://www.bitetv.ca/blog/archives/rockers.jpg).[/QUOTE]
I'd be interested in a Macho Mayun shirt.

[quote name='Brak']Yeah. But he won by first blood.[/QUOTE]
So what? Kennedy shouldn't be pinning Undertaker clean, and he beat him prior to that as well; not to mention the fact that he got one of the best beatdowns on UT in years when he beat on him with the mic.

The only noteworthy thing HHH and 'Taker have in common as far as what's going on on TV is they've both been around for a long time. 'Taker has had a damn good year for a semi-active guy, between having decent manages with Kennedy, the match of the year with Angle, and dragging a watchable match out of Mark Henry.

So what? Kennedy shouldn't be pinning Undertaker clean, and he beat him prior to that as well; not to mention the fact that he got one of the best beatdowns on UT in a long time when he beat on him with the mic. Khali never got in something like that.

The only noteworthy thing HHH and 'Taker have in common as far as what's going on on TV is they've both been around for a long time. 'Taker has had a damn good year for a semi-active guy, between having decent matches and a good feud with Kennedy, the match of the year with Angle, and dragging a watchable match out of Mark Henry.

So what? Kennedy shouldn't be pinning Undertaker clean, and he beat him prior to that as well; not to mention the fact that he got one of the best beatdowns on UT in a long time when he beat on him with the mic. Khali never got in something like that.

The only noteworthy thing HHH and 'Taker have in common as far as what's going on on TV is they've both been around for a long time. 'Taker has had a damn good year for a semi-active guy, between having decent matches and a good feud with Kennedy, the match of the year with Angle, and dragging a watchable match out of Mark Henry.

Some predictions for next year....

RVD finds his way to TNA.

ECW folds.

Another active, prominent wrestler will die before his time.

Chris Benoit will get one more title run before he retires.

Melina poses for Playboy.

HHH will be in the title hunt before Wrestlemania.

Ric Flair retires.

Armando Alejandro Estrada turns face and leaves Umaga's side.

Paul Heyman goes to TNA.

John Cena turns heel.

Mr. Kennedy becomes a main eventer.

Randy Orton gets suspended again.

I agree with everything except for Flair's retirement and Benoit's title run. I don't see him wrestling much longer, however. He may be intense, and he may love wrestling, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of fool who will continue past his prime. He'll listen to the advice of Dean Malenko and hang up his boots by Survivor Series.

I wonder who will die?

[quote name='mykevermin']I agree with everything except for Flair's retirement and Benoit's title run. I don't see him wrestling much longer, however. He may be intense, and he may love wrestling, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of fool who will continue past his prime. He'll listen to the advice of Dean Malenko and hang up his boots by Survivor Series.

I wonder who will die?[/quote]

Hopefully Benoit will look at Dynamite Kid and think of his family instead of his love for wrestling.

Hopefully no one dies, but I hope Flair retires because he is just asking for trouble IMO. I think either he or Big Show are likely candidates.

I don't know if Scott Steiner is doing anything now, but even if he isn't I give him two years tops.

The most obvious big death for '07 would be Angle. Benoit isn't in any danger of dying compared to Angle. I'd be surprised if Flair retired, but I hope they at least just use him as a special attraction for '07. ECW legally has to be on the air through '07 due to the Sci-Fi deal - if they re-negotiate it and can get it killed earlier, then that'll happen.

I'm thinking of picking up some Ring of Honor DVD's this weekend cuz they have a buy 3 get 1 free sale. Any recommendations ?

[quote name='goukill1120']I'm thinking of picking up some Ring of Honor DVD's this weekend cuz they have a buy 3 get 1 free sale. Any recommendations ?[/quote]

Have you seen the round robin challenge dvd yet?If not you should get that one.I'm about to look at the deals on tna wrestling.com

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']The most obvious big death for '07 would be Angle. Benoit isn't in any danger of dying compared to Angle. I'd be surprised if Flair retired, but I hope they at least just use him as a special attraction for '07. ECW legally has to be on the air through '07 due to the Sci-Fi deal - if they re-negotiate it and can get it killed earlier, then that'll happen.[/QUOTE]
Any chance of a CAG Death Pool?

I hate to say it but my prediction for the first wrestler to pass away in 2007 is....

Jake The Snake Roberts. I just got a bad feeling that its going to happen.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Anyone else think Prince Nana looks like Flava Flav?[/quote]

He kinda looks like flava flav.I just hope homicide beats american dragon.

[quote name='Brak']Why would Angle die?[/QUOTE]
1. Family history of heart problems
2. Angle's admitted painkller problems
3. Angle's likely steroid and HGH problems
4. Angle's massive spinal damage, which could easily lead to a broken neck with one bad bump
5. People within WWE stating that Angle's drug problems were worse than Pillman (who is now dead due to them), Spicolli (also dead due to them), and HBK (who could have died from them had he not changes his life around)
6. The belief by many reputable third parties (and confirmed by their sources within WWE) that Angle was fired because WWE felt he would die on their watch, and they didn't want another Eddie situation on their hands, especially since Angle's death would be a far bigger mainstream media deal than Eddie's
7. Angle's own cryptic statements about not stopping even when he knows he should, and stating that he'll work through as many injuries as he can. This is especially terrifying given how quickly he returned after suffering THREE MUSCLE TEARS in his last WWE match, and then being in a TNA ring three months later and suffering yet another injury.
8. Angle apparently threatening suicide if WWE fired him. Hulk Hogan stated this in an interview, and Angle has not denied this specific statement. Dave Meltzer stated that he hadn't heard the suicide thread, but that he'd heard it wasn't too far off from what he was told happened.

There's a lot of detail on these issues in various Observers, Torches, and Figure 4 Weekly newsletters (and audio shows). The Hall of Fame '06 Observer deals with how Angle's own drive lead to a lot of his problems. There's a common belief from fans and writers that Angle will be lucky to just spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair at the rate he's going, but realistically, his physical descent has been so great and so sudden that I would be surprised if he was alive at the end of '07. Ever since his drug issues surfaced after his WWE firing, it's been hard for me to wrap my mind around this incredible human being possibly being lost to his wife, kids, and fans due to his problems. Hopefully, he gets the help he seemingly needs with regards to his drug problems.

[quote name='Demolition Man']I hate to say it but my prediction for the first wrestler to pass away in 2007 is....

Jake The Snake Roberts. I just got a bad feeling that its going to happen.
[/QUOTE]
I'm going to have to disagree. Jake's sorta got a Terry Funk thing going on - I'm not sure either of those two can die.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']The most obvious big death for '07 would be Angle. Benoit isn't in any danger of dying compared to Angle. I'd be surprised if Flair retired, but I hope they at least just use him as a special attraction for '07. ECW legally has to be on the air through '07 due to the Sci-Fi deal - if they re-negotiate it and can get it killed earlier, then that'll happen.[/QUOTE]

Or they could shelve the new ECW entirely and give us classic reruns in its place!!!

Just gauging interest for now, but I've got a bunch of wrestling DVD's (mostly WWF and ECW) that are taking up shelf space. Nothing amazing or rare (though I think the ECW ones are out of print since WWF bought the tape library), but with some great matches on them.

ECW - Extreme Evolution, Hardcore History, Path Of Destruction, Heatwave 98, Wrestlepalooza, Cyberslam 99

WWF - Hardy Boys "Leap Of Faith", Wrestlemania X8, WWF Hardcore, Invasion, King Of The Ring 2001, Rise & Fall Of ECW, Summerslam 2001, Royal Rumble 2000

XPW - Genocide, Freefall (New Jack tosses Vic Grimes off the scaffold and nearly out of the ring)

TNA - Best Of The X-Division Vol. 1

FMW - Final Encounter, International Slaughterhouse (ECW vs FMW), Rule The Asylum

Would anyone be interested in them after I made backups for the ones I wanted to keep?

I'd be interested in the '01 Summerslam and KOTR DVDs, but with holiday spending, I might just wait until some other random time to snag them on ebay. How much are you planning to sell them for?

no thanks.

Good weekend of indy wrestling on tv. Rosey (going by Kimo again - I almost forgot seeing "The Island Boyz," Kimo and OG Ekmo, at the HWA events I went to every week for two years) wrestled some fat shit who couldn't wrestle out of a paper bag. The poor guy had punches worse than Tommy Dreamer, moved at a pace half that of a sea slug, and was just not ready for an audience, much less TV. Worse yet, Kimo gave the guy a good amount of offense, when he shouldn't have. Perhaps Kimo's just a good guy (he was quite kind the time I chatted with him at a bar, though Ekmo/Jamal/Umaga is a certifiable asshole to the tenth power), so him giving the poor slob a bit of offense is precisely what he would do.

Nigel McGuinness worked the HWA main event, with some useless talent (HWA sure doesn't discriminate between talent that should and should not be on television), and other great workers who will never get their due in the States, such as Chad Collyer. At least he gets to wrestle as "Chad Malenko" in Japan (for those who've never seen Collyer, he's the spitting image of Malenko in looks, stature, and style - even using the Texas Cloverleaf as a finisher).

Malenko trained him, I think. He sure works as someone trained by Malenko (a delight to watch, but please don't let him near a microphone) would.

OVW featured two major title changes, the first coming after Chet "The Jet" finally won his big match over champ Jacob Duncan (a big muscle-headed suck-at-wrestling guy, so he'll probably be on Raw Monday) - then "The Torture Device" Paul Birchall laid out Chet with a chair and demanded his "anytime, anywhere" title match, hit Chet with his finisher, and ended Chet's 45-second long title reign. Overbooked, sure, but it's always a pain in the ass to get the title from one heel to another, I suppose.

"Fearless" Jack Bull got his decisive win over Joey Mercury in a "this must have been taped before Armageddon" match. Good to see the feud end well for Bull, and this probably means that OVW fans now bid adieu to Mercury for the time being. Thanks for sharing your hair extensions with us, darlin'.

Lastly, (technically three title changes, I guess), Cody Runnels and Shawn Spears regained the OVW Southern Tag Titles in a WWE-PPV quality street fight tag match. Well wrestled, good momentum, good pace, and great storytelling. I don't much care for Shawn Spears, but Cody Runnels, unlike David Flair, got "it" from Daddy Dusty. He has great motions, great selling, and knows where he is and should be in the ring at all times. His only downside is he's kinda smaller than WWE likes (he looks more like AJ Styles' brother than "The American Dream's" offspring); I think he'll be a major player for some national group in the coming years, but he needs to add at least 20-30 pounds of muscle first. As for the now-former champs, The Untouchables, I've said all I needed to say before. They'll be going to WWE sooner than later, and hopefully they won't be relegated to the "Highlanders/Cade and Murdoch" tier of the tag team division (that they should be major players, rather than wrestling Viscera and Val Venis for 8 straight months on "Heat"). Their gimmick is great, played well, and with some fine-tuning to make it more current, could work quite well for them.

There was a women's title ladder match b/w Katie Lea and Beth Phoenix, which was alright, but not my thing. Lastly, Boris Alexiev continued to impress. Shame the WWE just debuted Oleg Vladimir Kozlov Prudius, because all accounts say Prudius is another Nathan Jones, while Alexiev has a great, fast-paced and hard-hitting style that's a real treat to watch.

My christmas wish is for all of you to get to watch OVW on your televisions soon.

[quote name='mykevermin']Homicide pinned Bryan Danielson last night to capture the ROH title![/QUOTE]

Its about fucking time ROH gives Homicide a fucking title run god fucking damn it. :applause: :applause: :applause:

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']8. Angle apparently threatening suicide if WWE fired him. Hulk Hogan stated this in an interview, and Angle has not denied this specific statement. Dave Meltzer stated that he hadn't heard the suicide thread, but that he'd heard it wasn't too far off from what he was told happened.[/QUOTE]

Hulk Hogan is the last person you want to listen to when it comes to wrestling.

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=QHn0WCQrV4Y[/MEDIA]

[quote name='mykevermin']
There was a women's title ladder match b/w Katie Lea and Beth Phoenix, which was alright, but not my thing. Lastly, Boris Alexiev continued to impress. Shame the WWE just debuted Oleg Vladimir Kozlov Prudius, because all accounts say Prudius is another Nathan Jones, while Alexiev has a great, fast-paced and hard-hitting style that's a real treat to watch.

My christmas wish is for all of you to get to watch OVW on your televisions soon.[/QUOTE]

I'd kill to watch OVW.

Beth Phoenix is still around? I remember she got hurt and then we never heard from her again.

[quote name='Roufuss']I'd kill to watch OVW.

Beth Phoenix is still around? I remember she got hurt and then we never heard from her again.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, she debuted in the WWE, then shortly thereafter Victoria (?) injured her accidentally during a rollup or something. She's looking good, both as a performer and as a piece of eyecandy (the latter being more important than the former in the WWE, of course). She may return in a few months once the Victoria/Mickie feud has run its course; it's futile to bring her in right now, since they actually have a pretty good Women's title feud (funny how that happens when you use the only two female wrestlers you have).

Speaking of which, I know I'm not the biggest cheerleader of the WWE females, but I grudgingly admit their popularity on the program. However, who the hell thought that Jillian Hall was eyecandy? For fucking real, dude.

I've seen better-looking women working the deli counter at Meijer.

Third shift, even.

[quote name='mykevermin']Speaking of which, I know I'm not the biggest cheerleader of the WWE females, but I grudgingly admit their popularity on the program. However, who the hell thought that Jillian Hall was eyecandy? For fucking real, dude.

I've seen better-looking women working the deli counter at Meijer.

Third shift, even.[/quote]

I think she looks good. I think the fact that she probably has the deepest cleavage on the roster has something to do with that though.

[quote name='mykevermin']Homicide pinned Bryan Danielson last night to capture the ROH title![/QUOTE]
YAY!!! Oh, and I know Hogan isn't the most reliable guy to get wrestling info from, which is why I went with a Meltzer statement after that one. Gabe was on WOL tonight and praised 'Cide, Danielson, and Joe.

My friend got me the 50 greatest TNA moments for Christmas. Even though I know number one sucks it is going to be great to see a lot of stuff I hadn't before and relive stuff I have.

Hopefully the DVD is fairly good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back