Joe Rogan Confronts Carlos Mencia for Stealing Jokes, Sucking

[quote name='Soodmeg']You kind of remind me of the RIAA...trying to stop each and every downloader from here to mexico even though its worthless to even try. For ever one person you stop there are 13438939843 million more springing up. With no real way to prove anything more than just two kids screaming "ITS MY JOKE....NO ITS MY JOKE" to go on as evidence.[/quote]

Because everyone who dowloads music 'illegally' takes it and calls it their own, right? :roll: The difference here is that the material is stolen, and then the comic labels it as their OWN WORK, which is much much worse.

[quote name='the_gloaming']I think I would be pretty irritated too if I was an audience member there. If they have beef, that is fine. But if I paid money to be entertained and laugh, and enjoy my evening, I wouldn't go to watch two people yell and curse at each other. Yes, it can be entertaining, but it's not what you paid for.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing that Rogan wants to stand up for himself and other comedians, but it's still a bummer to have your night ruined because of it. I hope the audience got their money back.

But it'd still be cool to say you were there.[/quote]
That was my first point. In almost the same words.

[quote name='mykevermin'] Nobody rips on Lisa Lampanelli, Dave Attell, or John Pinette for stealing jokes. You may or may not like them (I, for one, can't stand Lampanelli), but nobody's publicly shitting on them. Likewise, nobody publicly shit on Chappelle. Was he inspired by Richard Pryor or Redd Foxx? You bet. Did he rip off their jokes? Certainly not. Did some of his skits pay homage to them? Sure, but inspiration and plagiarism are two distinct issues, even if the line separating them is really fuzzy.[/quote]
What the fuck this was the exacte same thing i said...(of course not in some many words)

[quote name='Hex']Because everyone who dowloads music 'illegally' takes it and calls it their own, right? :roll: The difference here is that the material is stolen, and then the comic labels it as their OWN WORK, which is much much worse.[/quote]
Thats not what a ment but i wont explain it because it over.

Yeah hate me all you want. I was saying the exact same thing most of you were saying already. Those were the points i was trying to get across.....i dont understand why you guys intentional misunerstand me.

I wasnt backing menica i could give a care less about menica or rogan or cook or any of those other douche bags. My point was why does everyone always just talk about cook and mencia like they are the only 2 people in comdey that are doing it. (I think i said that)

I am not even disagreeing with you guys which is why i dont understand why the fuck you were trying to battle me abut it.

Yeah we get it....stealing sucks but what are you going to do to change it? How are you going to regulate something intangible like spoken word?

Meh.

wooow joe rogan just gained alot of cool points with me, i used to think he was pretty damn lame but seein him bust Mencia out in front of everybody was funny as hell.

But seriously changing your first name from Ned to "carlos" to gain some "beaner cred" is lame as hell. I used to think "carlo's " jokes, although pretty retarded, were kinda funny but knowin that he stole most of his material pretty much so killed any desire i had to see any of his stand-up again.

But George Lopez is the man, i didnt know he kicked Carlos' ass for stealin jokes but that shits funny as hell

[quote name='Soodmeg']Yeah we get it....stealing sucks but what are you going to do to change it? How are you going to regulate something intangible like spoken word?

Meh.[/quote]

Stop letting thieves have their own shows on TV, and stop scheduling them in clubs. Simple.

I myself don't really know much about various comedians and such, but it's definitely refreshing to see someone so opposed to theft of material.

Before coming in here, I didn't even know Joe Rogan did standup. Like many, I only knew him from Fear Factor and UFC. (And I didn't really care for him on those.)

But now, I'm definitely going to look up some of his stuff.

I think they're both douchebags, and I wouldn't see either one of their shows if they were free.

Who is Joe Rogaine kidding with that "College" shirt? What is he like 40?

The oral tradition is dead, it's been killed by crass overcommercialization.

It's sad when jokes can't be shared or retold because they are "property".

Also, Joe Rogan comes off as a bully.

[quote name='Soodmeg']You guys seem to be missing what i am saying. I dont care about mencia or rogan that much, it just pisses me off when people feel to need to make their "statement" in the middle of something i paid for.

I am more of the guy who just wants to watch a show and then go home....i dont want to go out to a show pay money and then have some douche bag try to push his shitty ass agenda on me when i am just trying to have a good time.

This reminds be of religious people..and how they always make it a point to interupt everyones fun with stuff that no one cares about or at least not at the time. I just want to watch the parade not listen to your baby fetish abortion scare tactics. (Happend in Detroit...fucking douche bags)

Its the principle of the situation.[/quote]

This is an excellent post.

I usually agree with soodmeeg - is that a bad sign? :lol:

[quote name='Soodmeg']You guys seem to be missing what i am saying. I dont care about mencia or rogan that much, it just pisses me off when people feel to need to make their "statement" in the middle of something i paid for.

I am more of the guy who just wants to watch a show and then go home....i dont want to go out to a show pay money and then have some douche bag try to push his shitty ass agenda on me when i am just trying to have a good time.

This reminds be of religious people..and how they always make it a point to interupt everyones fun with stuff that no one cares about or at least not at the time. I just want to watch the parade not listen to your baby fetish abortion scare tactics. (Happend in Detroit...fucking douche bags)

Its the principle of the situation.[/QUOTE]
If you'll listen close to the beginning again, you'll see that Mencia called Joe up, and called him out. He then proceeded to get what he had coming. If I were in the audience, I'd be mad at Mencia for starting it out in the first place.

Joe was on a local radio station about a month ago talking about the same things. Pretty interesting to see him face-to-face with Mencia.

[quote name='kaw']I think they're both douchebags, and I wouldn't see either one of their shows if they were free.

Who is Joe Rogaine kidding with that "College" shirt? What is he like 40?[/QUOTE]

Any fan of good movies is allowed to wear that shirt.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Any fan of good movies is allowed to wear that shirt.[/QUOTE]

Fail.

And on a related note, both careers in five years:
fail.jpg

What I don't understand is that if your material is your life, why not get it down on paper & get it copyrighted? Comedian code or not, if you're not smart enough to cover your assets and get you shit protected, you're asking for it.

All those comedians needed to do is copyright thier material before going on stage and then when it got stolen from the 'Mencias' of comedy, you would sue the shit out of them. If you want to hit a man hard, hit him in the wallet. That will wake his ass up real damn quick.

[quote name='anomynous']Do you guys realize that that "COLLEGE" shirt is from Animal House?[/QUOTE]

Sheeeit. Next thing you know, you'll be tellin' me shit like "the sun rises in the East and sets in the West."

Save your tall tales for the boy scouts, son.

[quote name='camoor']This is an excellent post.

I usually agree with soodmeeg - is that a bad sign? :lol:[/quote]

I am pretty sure thats one of the signs of the apocalypse. :lol:

[quote name='CappyCobra']What I don't understand is that if your material is your life, why not get it down on paper & get it copyrighted? Comedian code or not, if you're not smart enough to cover your assets and get you shit protected, you're asking for it.

All those comedians needed to do is copyright thier material before going on stage and then when it got stolen from the 'Mencias' of comedy, you would sue the shit out of them. If you want to hit a man hard, hit him in the wallet. That will wake his ass up real damn quick.[/quote]

Right, because most comedians have the amount of money it takes to sue people for copyright infringement. Can't get blood from a stone.

I just watched the video, and it's amazing how Mencia's only rebuttal to everything is "stop being a whiny bitch". Joe just tore him a new one, and all Carlos can do is sit and take it. I fully approve of Mencia-bashing.

[quote name='JimmieMac']Right, because most comedians have the amount of money it takes to sue people for copyright infringement. Can't get blood from a stone.[/quote] True, but at least they have some sort of protection which they have footing to tell the other 'comic' to back the fuck off. And if any comedian was worth their salt writing jokes they'd be a comedic writer. That's where the money is to be made anyways.

Maybe they should have a comedy review panel which comics submit their material and it cross references it with other comic's acts for matches. Whoever submitted their shit first would be entitled to use the material. Whoever material was original was noted as such and logged for future cross reference.

Bah, this is overkill anyway for what should be a moral practice for not claiming shit that ain't yours. Sadly, that's hardly the case comedy and everything else.

Rogan is now 'banned' from the Comedy Store and lost his agent at Gersh b/c of this...

I guess Ned has some juice, which is kinda scary.

If you watch MoM, please stop.... do it for society.

"My agent from the Gersh agency, who is the same guy that represents Carlos, spoke to me on the phone today. He told me that he was being "put in the middle of this thing, and forced to make a choice." He said that Carlos wanted to get on the phone with me and end this once and for all, and get this... wanted an apology. If I didn't do this, he wanted the Gersh agency to either drop me, or he would leave them.

I told them that was fucking hilarious, and said that it's been fun working with them. The fact that they would even consider asking me to do something like that meant I was going to leave them anyway, but the sheer stereotypical "hollywood" nature of conversation actually fucking shocked me. It was like a scene in a movie. Not even a current movie. More like that Kevin Bacon movie "The Big Picture" that was about the evils of Hollywood from the early 90's. [...] "

http://www.joerogan.net/main.php?archives=1&article=53955

http://www.joerogan.net/main.php?archives=1&article=53981

btw, my asshole itches

[quote name='PKRipp3r']If you watch MoM, please stop.... do it for society.[/quote] fucking seconded. If America would just wake up to this idiot's bullshit, then his show would get cancelled.
btw, my asshole itches
:lol:

[quote name='Hex'] fucking seconded. If America would just wake up to this idiot's bullshit, then his show would get cancelled.

:lol:[/QUOTE]

01.jpg

worrrdd.. hoooomeees!!!

:)

[quote name='Strell']http://techdirt.com/articles/20070215/230046.shtml

Hoo boy.[/QUOTE]

hilariously sad

" The video material was mostly taken by Rogan's associates -- so he holds the copyright to it. The short clips he used from other sources to prove his point are pretty clearly fair use. Either way, it seems pretty ridiculous to claim copyright infringement on a video revealing evidence that you used someone else's material without credit."

[quote name='ZForce915']Dee-dee-dee[/QUOTE]

*shudder*

"BEANER! Dee-Dee-dee! Black poeple are like this, white people are like this!....RETARD-ED!" *finishes joke in Spanish so you miss punchline*

Reality's Fringe;2672722 said:
*shudder*

"BEANER! Dee-Dee-dee! Black poeple are like this, white people are like this!....RETARD-ED!" *finishes joke in Spanish so you miss punchline*

i see a starring role in a half-hour basic cable comedy show in your future

I think Rogan wins this. Had Mencia just left it alone to float out there, fine. No big deal. But he's taken action against it and has further given more reason for Rogan to go after him. Now the snowball is getting bigger - I just wonder who is standing at the bottom of the hill.

It's funny to me just because I can't stand Carlos Mencia. I have never found that guy to be even remotely funny. I don't know why people give the guy credit for anything... "Dee-dee-dee" is his most significant contribution to comedy and I think that speaks for itself.

Even though I don't like Rogan either, Mencia loses this for looking like a little bitch.

Is there any evidence of this, you know Rogan always acts like some type of warrior for comedy.. some evidence that isn't a joke thats been around for ages.

My only real problem with mencia is that his comedy is for idiots, but you know what I don't think he is stupid. He picked a good time to come into the game, and his comedy is for the idiots of the world.. and there are a ton of them.

Rogan obviously has jealousy that he thinks his jokes are much smarter, wittier, better.. (Even though the little standup i've watched with him he mainly relys on sex jokes) and he's not getting the credit he deserves.. and hes known for being a gameshow host, and failed replacement for the man show.

he provided lots of evidence in the video.. video evidence

also, this from Greg Giraldo today...

After discussing the diapered astronaut of recent news fame, Laundromat comedy, and having someone in Giraldo’s house begin dialing the phone while we were still on it, Giraldo commented on the recent argument between Carlos Mencia and Joe Rogan, where Rogan accused Mencia of stealing other comedians’ jokes. “I’m all for both of their issues,” Giraldo said. “And I support each one of them wholeheartedly in their pursuit of their ultimate goal of satisfaction and happiness in the above referenced matter. I’m not actually up to the day to day thievery that Mencia is accused of but I like Joe Rogan a lot and I’m sure that he’s right and it’s nice to see him take a stand on this shit. I don’t like Mencia or dislike him. I don’t know him that well. He’s pleasant enough. I don’t give a shit about him, to tell you the truth. I can’t stand his stand up…Expect for the stuff that he stole. That I do like.”

http://www.luminomagazine.com/mw/content/view/1755/1

I've always said that Mencia steals so much that he even stole Joe Rogan's fuckin' face.

[quote name='Boeing 747']Is there any evidence of this, you know Rogan always acts like some type of warrior for comedy.. some evidence that isn't a joke thats been around for ages.
[/quote]

I've heard people accuse him of this even before the Joe Rogan incident.

All comedians steal/modify some amount of their material from each other, the real problem is that he can't write his own good jokes and he does a horrible joke modifying the jokes he steals.

in the comedy world, people have been saying that Ned and dane cook are huge joke thieves.

I dont think people noticed the post that said Mencia wasnt even going on stage that night, he just went up there after rogan referred to him as "Menstelia" while introing the next comic"

and its certainly not jealously, Rogan has been around for a long time, if any of you remember a little show called Newsradio.

yes he fucked up the man show

I heard Rogan talking on Sirius today and basically he said that the reason he is outspoken about it is because if lesser know comics say anything people will just say that they are jealous.

bread's done
Back