John "Earthquake" Tenta's wrestling topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, well there goes T&A... imo Test always sucked, and there really wasn't anything you could do with him. He wasn't good in the ring, or good on the mic, he was just big. Test had a few shots at getting over, like being part of the SMH-HHH marriage ploy, and the whole Testicles thing, but things never worked out because he had no charisma. My question is are Test and Stacy still together? Albert is pretty much the same deal, you can shave him, but that furry bastard underneath will always grow back and Albert never was able to really connect with the fans. Although, I must say I wish they had kept Albert and used him as Christian's problem solver instead of Tyson Tomko, rarely do you see someone botch as many spots in so little time as Tomko, I think only RVD comes to mind, but he's kind of gotten out of that phase. Plus RVD had charisma. Finally, I think the Billy Gunn thing is no surprise, but a bit of a slap in the face. Gunn has been with the WWE longer than anyone except Undertaker as far as I know, and yes that includes JR. I'm pretty sure he came in right before Sparky Plug (Bob Holly). Anyway, it's really Billy's own fault, especially if it's true he's been trying to go to TNA. So, alltogether not a big loss, since none of those 3 were doing anything at the time. I just hope Viscera sticks around for awhile and forms a tag team with Mark Henry when he comes back. That'd be hilarious.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Hmm, well there goes T&A... imo Test always sucked, and there really wasn't anything you could do with him. He wasn't good in the ring, or good on the mic, he was just big. Test had a few shots at getting over, like being part of the SMH-HHH marriage ploy, and the whole Testicles thing, but things never worked out because he had no charisma. My question is are Test and Stacy still together? Albert is pretty much the same deal, you can shave him, but that furry bastard underneath will always grow back and Albert never was able to really connect with the fans. Although, I must say I wish they had kept Albert and used him as Christian's problem solver instead of Tyson Tomko, rarely do you see someone botch as many spots in so little time as Tomko, I think only RVD comes to mind, but he's kind of gotten out of that phase. Plus RVD had charisma. Finally, I think the Billy Gunn thing is no surprise, but a bit of a slap in the face. Gunn has been with the WWE longer than anyone except Undertaker as far as I know, and yes that includes JR. I'm pretty sure he came in right before Sparky Plug (Bob Holly). Anyway, it's really Billy's own fault, especially if it's true he's been trying to go to TNA. So, alltogether not a big loss, since none of those 3 were doing anything at the time. I just hope Viscera sticks around for awhile and forms a tag team with Mark Henry when he comes back. That'd be hilarious.[/quote]

I personally liked Test. I always played as him on HCTP, just to give people a GIANT boot to the face.

Test always struck me as better then he was allowed to be. I am sure he will turn up somewhere else soon.

I met Test once... he really didn't seem to give a fuck about wrestling... er no actually I've met Test twice. Both times he really seemed as though he couldn't care less about wrestling. Although I did get his autograph the first time for God knows what reason... no wait I remember now, it was because Trish Stratus told him to.

Man, A-Train should have been kept. When he was last on Smackdown, he was awesome IMO. Part of that was due to the fact he was battling Brock Lesnar or teaming with Lesnar and Big Show though. If Test could have stayed healthy, they should have kept him too. Billy Gunn should have bet let go a long time ago IMO. He could never stay healthy and I think this last go around he had some kind of alcohol or drug issue (I am not certain though).

[quote name='emceelokey']I can't wait till they make a Demolition "classics" action figure set.[/quote]

Your wish is Jakks command. Taken from http://www.wrestlingguide.com,
"- With the sudden debut of classic two-packs at the expo and then beginning to hit stores the same week, we were all surprised. Expect for the two-pack series to continue. The slated lineup for series 2 of the two-packs is as follows: Bushwackers (Luke and Butch), Demolition (Smash and Crush), and British Bulldogs (Davey Boy Smith and Dynamite Kid). It looks as though Jakks is having troubles with Ax with him not wanting to give up his likeness; reason for the replacement. Just because they can use the name, doesn't mean they can use the appearance. Again, this is all tentative information."

Smash is great, but Crush is kinda eh. They later discuss the possibility of a Demolition 3-pack (some three packs have been developed already, such as a Andre-Jake Roberts-Big John Studd in referee attire set, so it's entirely probable).

myke.

We then see a Mohammad Hussan vignette and as he says “Praise Allah” the crowd boos. He then turns things over to Khasrow Daivari, who translates what Mohammad just said for his Arab brothers.

WWE is really asking for trouble with this angle...

I didn't hear much in the way of boos. To be honest the crowd was shocked into silence by the fact that such an interview took place. I'll say this, Mohammad Hussan is CUT and looks like one bad mo-fo.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']
We then see a Mohammad Hussan vignette and as he says “Praise Allah” the crowd boos. He then turns things over to Khasrow Daivari, who translates what Mohammad just said for his Arab brothers.

I didn't hear much in the way of boos. To be honest the crowd was shocked into silence by the fact that such an interview took place. I'll say this, Mohammad Hussan is CUT and looks like one bad mo-fo.[/quote]

yea lets see where that goes...i was kinda shocked too when i saw it

i also hope the simon dean gets over.. i liked the promo he cut and it was funny and he didnt mess up or anything....its about time nova made it in wwe

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']alright im a little curious, wcw joined with wwf making wwe right, what happened to ecw?[/quote]

well wcw was absorbed by the wwf but thats not why it became wwe. thats is because an ongoing battle with the world wildlife fund. they bitched and complained about the wwf and made them change it wwe.

wwe also owns the complete ecw video library....

[quote name='GuilewasNK']

I didn't hear much in the way of boos. To be honest the crowd was shocked into silence by the fact that such an interview took place. I'll say this, Mohammad Hussan is CUT and looks like one bad mo-fo.[/quote]

Many make the argument that racial stereotypes are a constant in pro wrestling. I would tend to agree, although I would say that I rarely like it (even if it means that we get to see Rob Conway wrestle).

WWE.com lists their introduction as such:
"According to article on parents.wwe.com posted earlier today, WWE is introducing two new Arab-American characters on Monday Night RAW. Muhammad Hassan and Khosrow Daivari are U.S. citizens who have grown up in America. They love their country. However, they now face a new and different kind of relationship with their fellow U.S. citizens as a result of being Arab-American in a United States still struggling with the tragic events of September 11, 2001. RAW will explore the challenges Hassan and Daivari face as Hassan tries to make his mark as a new WWE Superstar under the guidance of Daivari as his manager."

If any of you recall how the WWE worded the introduction of Eugene Dinsmore and Zach Gowen, it is very similarly worded. Essentially, they want you to believe that the WWE will give fair, intellectual storylines regarding the trials and tribulations faced by these characters. If any of you recall how Zach Gowen was shown on TV, and how Eugene currently is, you can see the incredible discrepancies in how the business end of the WWE protrays characters and how the TV end of WWE treats these characters. If you think, even for a moment, that this will be anything but a complete abomination of a storyline and an insult to our intelligence, you are the complete definition of a 'mark.'

myke.

The thing is, this stereotype is not just racial it is religious as well. That being said, religion has had a small part in wrestling....

Brother Love
Reverend D'Von and Deacon Batista
Reverend Slick

To a lesser extent...

Kane
Undertaker
Mordecai

The main thing is that those were all either comical (the first three), or over the top (the last three).

It is pretty obvious that they are going with a very "real life" aproach to the Mohammed Hussan angle. That is where the danger is. The only thing comparable is when the Nation of Domination had its run and the recent "militant" angle with Teddy Long using a racial slur against white people. Those had the potential to create unstable atmospheres in the arena and so does the Hussan angle IMO. Remember, Kenzo Suzuki was supposed to come into the WWE as Hirohito an Kenzo wisely told the WWE of the negative impact it would have in Japan. If WWE isn't careful with this angle, they could offend a lot of people.

[quote name='guyver2077']i also hope the simon dean gets over.. i liked the promo he cut and it was funny and he didnt mess up or anything....its about time nova made it in wwe[/quote]
I'll hope with you there, I've been a Nova fan since the ECW days. He's not a big guy, but was always fun to watch and busted out nice finishers.
Weird how Nova had the superhero gimic long before Helms. Come to think of it, I still have him as a custom wrestler in Wrestlemania 2000. Blue and white Kane costume was almost perfect.

point taken. Some weren't so over the top, IMO. The Bolsheviks and the Iron Sheik (especially the Sgt. Slaughter redux in the 90'2) are some examples.

[quote name='mykevermin']point taken. Some weren't so over the top, IMO. The Bolsheviks and the Iron Sheik (especially the Sgt. Slaughter redux in the 90'2) are some examples.[/quote]

I have to agree with that.

hmm I just remembered; wasn't Billy Gunn supposed to be going to rehab to get help for his "problems"... if so we may be forced to see him again one day.

In somewhat wrestling related news: NBA champions, the Detroit Pistons, were presented with their NBA championship rings and banner today. Pistons Forward Raheed Wallace surprised his teammates with personalized WWE World Championship replica belts (like the RAW brand title) for each and every teammate. The belt, according to Wallace, signified their current reign as “World Champions.” The entire Pistons squad was sporting their respective belts during their introduction on Tuesday’s opening day game.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Anyone else notice Mike from a previous Real World show is now a contestant on the new Tough Enough?

although billy is pretty gone now, i thought the billy&chuck thing was pretty funny. But with someone said earlier...rotation is the key.

Snitzkey or however it is written, doesnt have enough character in my opinion. if he is not good on the mic, he needs to have ring or appearance skills. he looks sorta dorky, and altough he is big, he doesnt have enough intimidation - batista/bigshow etc

[quote name='Theenternal']although billy is pretty gone now, i thought the billy&chuck thing was pretty funny. But with someone said earlier...rotation is the key.

Snitzkey or however it is written, doesnt have enough character in my opinion. if he is not good on the mic, he needs to have ring or appearance skills. he looks sorta dorky, and altough he is big, he doesnt have enough intimidation - batista/bigshow etc[/quote]

Have you seen that man's face? He gets some pretty psychotic looks on his face, excet when he looks like a fucking ape.

[quote name='Theenternal']
Snitzkey or however it is written, doesnt have enough character in my opinion. if he is not good on the mic, he needs to have ring or appearance skills. he looks sorta dorky, and altough he is big, he doesnt have enough intimidation - batista/bigshow etc[/quote]

Gene Snitsky is supposed to be a big dumb lug though. From what I have read, his characters promos are throwbacks to the 1980's on purpose. As long as his moves look clean and don't injure anyone, I'm fine with his performance (which is why I despise Heidenreich, that man is a danger to everyone he works with).

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']In somewhat wrestling related news: NBA champions, the Detroit Pistons, were presented with their NBA championship rings and banner today. Pistons Forward Raheed Wallace surprised his teammates with personalized WWE World Championship replica belts (like the RAW brand title) for each and every teammate. The belt, according to Wallace, signified their current reign as “World Champions.” The entire Pistons squad was sporting their respective belts during their introduction on Tuesday’s opening day game.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:[/quote]

I saw that... just great if you ask me.

I just read some of the ECW alumni interviews on WWE.com (in promoting their new ECW dvd). Rob Van Dam is now my favorite wrestler:

"When it comes to hardcore, you just have to think of ECW. I mean they had the hardcore matches (in WWE), which were a sorry imitation, and that just basically meant you were going to go tip over the taco stand, or maybe you’d bring a plunger to the ring – that was hardcore."

brilliant, sir. brilliant.

myke.

The following comes from WWE.com :
The WWE released Gail Kim, Chuck Palumbo and Nidia from their contracts today. We wish them the best in their future endeavors.

This comes as shock to some since WWE had just released 3 superstars on Monday. Sources say this may be just the beginning. We’ll keep you posted.

Wow that fucking sucks. Why would they release them? This is pretty stupid.

Man I'm pissed they released Gail Kim. Talk about a hot Asian-Canadian with some good wrestling skills. Damn.

Wow... NIDIA :shock: I thought they were going to finally try to push her. I understand she really had no place on the show, but still... wow, and Gail Kim, that's unreal. She had quite a bit of promise. Oh well, I guess when times are tough, cutting women off the roster is easy. Well that also makes Nidia the first TE person to get the axe. Hmm, and poor Palumbo, now both Chuck & Billy are gone, Vince McMahon must be a republican. Anyhow, why not just send Chuck back to SD! To rejoin the other members of FBI... just makes no sense. Plus Vince just added those two girls from the Diva search to the roster... why? Seriously, why?

As Greenberg used to say, "Who's next?"

All these recent releases were purely financial. Which sucks. If the WWE doesn't make more money, we could see this happen more in the coming weeks or months, which I hope not.

Dammit... I just wrote a fucking book and it didn't post. Sigh, I'll toss in my 2 cents tomorrow when the server is hopefully back to normal.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Man I'm pissed they released Gail Kim. Talk about a hot Asian-Canadian with some good wrestling skills. Damn.[/quote]

Say what? Yeah, she was attractive, but I wish I saved tapes of her first few months in WWE. Man, that was off the charts. Even Jackie Gayda probably gave her pointers.

It's funny, I've become less and less inclined to watching the main shows; I much prefer Heat and Velocity. I think it has to do with being able to watch wrestling matches and seeing (1) no interference, (2) a more classic approach to a match, (2) 5-7 minutes minimum, and most importantly (4) no screwjobs or run-ins (or, very, very few). It has a completely different feel than Raw or SD. With all the cleaning going on, I'm worried that Jazz and Rodney Mack will be gone soon.

Anyway, Gail Kim and Chuck Palumbo were both on Heat this week; they even gave Chuckie a new name: "Custom" Chuckie P (he was a muscle car lover or some boring shit). So much for that.

I think the best thing out of the house cleaning will be this: mass open shit-talking about WWE. I love WWE videos, but if I have to watch another wrestler painstakingly talk about how wonderful the company and locker room is, I'm gonna puke. It's the worst sort of contrived propaganda, and I look forward to hearing what some of these nitwits will say unbridled.

Could TNA get anything out of these people?

myke.

There is no way in hell Gail Kim and Nidia should have been released. They didn't have that many female WRESTLERS to begin with. I read that it was budget cuts. Then why they hell did they hire that airhead (I forget her name) to interview someone last RAW? This spells doom for the other female wrestlers IMO.

It just doesn't make sense that Heidenreich is in WWE when A-Train (a much more capable big man) gets cut. I REALLY hope that WWE gets a serious competitor soon because this is ridiculous.

Huh, interesting releases. I liked Gail Kim, but she was a horrible wrestler at first and Nidia was kinda just thrown in the womens mix after she moved from SD. Neither one was very over with the fans either way. I was at the Raw in Buffalo when Kim made her debut and won the belt in a battle royal, and no one cared. And I was hoping for an action figure for her. Ah well.

[quote name='mykevermin']With all the cleaning going on, I'm worried that Jazz and Rodney Mack will be gone soon.[/quote]

fuck. I hate this shit. They're now gone, along with Johnny The Bull. Oh well, at least they all got big pushes

The worst part about this is that meatheads with no wrestling skill (i.e. Batista, Tomko, and Gene Snitsky) are the guys keeping their jobs. Crap.

myke.
...back(ed) the mack.

[quote name='Doylerulez']So if you backed the Mack or was down with the Brown, you're not backing their packing. Holla.[/quote]

So eloquent. So true.

I dunno, I think Batista has some good upside. Snitsky hasn't had enough matches for me to make up my mind yet. Tomko is awful though.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Some in-game screen shots of Earthquake in the old WWF Wrestlefest arcade game...

http://www.vgmuseum.com/images/arcade3/01/201.html (may be 1 pop-up)
[/quote]

I used to LOVE that game and I often played as Earthquake. If you remember my previous avatar (for the last several months), it was a picture of Mean Gene and it came from a screenshot of that game!

I like Batista. I think he has good presence. I do not, on the other hand, think he is a good wrestler. To each their own, I suppose.

At the risk of seeming like I'm gloating, I happened to see a bit of Batista back in his 'leviathan' days, when HWA (Cincinnati) was a developmental group. One public taping (I don't think they taped anything, though) had Sean O'Haire vs. Leviathan. It was, bar none, the worst *men's* match (see how I covered my ass there!) I had ever seen. From that point on, I was bothered that either guy earned a single paycheck in wrestling.

To be honest about my hypocrisy, my favorite wrestlers as a child were Demolition, who could do nothing other than double axe handles.

myke.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I dunno, I think Batista has some good upside. Snitsky hasn't had enough matches for me to make up my mind yet. Tomko is awful though.[/quote]

Well, Tomko didn't make himself look to good on hs debut wjhen he went to do Test's running big boot to Y2j, and fell flat on his ass. That REALLY doesn't make him look good, does it?

[quote name='mykevermin']
To be honest about my hypocrisy, my favorite wrestlers as a child were Demolition, who could do nothing other than double axe handles.

myke.[/quote]

Sings....

Here comes the Axe...
Here comes the Smasher!!
We're Demolition...
A walking disaster!

I think that was their lyrics anyway.

MorbidAngel4Life, the main thing about Tomko is that other than "boring" chants he gets, he doesn't seem to get much reaction out of the crowd compared to other guys. He has a great look though. You never know where the next star will come though. There are guys that are underwhelming when they start (Stone Cold, The Rock), then become cornerstones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back