Kentucky CAG roll call!

Sailorneorune

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
(Note to moderators: If this has been done before and has been subsequently destroyed, then do what you want with this thread.)

Bluegrass State Cheap Ass Gamers, stand up and be counted!

I, Sailorneorune, wish to get to know my CAG comrades in my home state a little better. This is the Kentucky CAG roll call thread, in which you give your username and location, as well as tell a little about yourself.

I'm SAILORNEORUNE, a one-year veteran of CAG, and a card-carrying female gamer (gasp!). I'm a second-year college student majoring in IT, and try each day to fit in time for studying and gaming.

My location is in western Kentucky, approximately 2 1/2 hours from Paducah and 40 minutes from Evansville.

That said, welcome all KY CAGs to my humble thread.

Had it been free, I would've stopped by one of the Pikeville signings. I'm not paying for an autograph though.

NOrthern KY cag here, just bit south of cincinnati OH.

Anyone in the area wanna say hi just shoot me a pm or something. Maybe can go have a beer sometime, or I know a arcade near me you pay 10 bucks and can play all day long, or hell do both!.

The Bowling Green Target clearance has pretty much dried up as far as games go anymore. It's been like this since they changed over to the new layout in electronics.

Anyone else notice the same thing in any of the other KY Target locations?

Anyone know about the new Gamestop in Prestonsburg? We moved here about five months ago, and there was one in Prestonsburg at that time, but it had just closed. While browsing Gamestops website about an hour ago, I noticed some used games in-stock at a new location in Prestonsburg. Anyone know anything about this store? I've been dying, having to drive 50 minutes to Pikeville just to go to a Gamestop, so if there really is a new one 20 minutes away, I'll be very happy.

[quote name='SEH']Anyone know about the new Gamestop in Prestonsburg? We moved here about five months ago, and there was one in Prestonsburg at that time, but it had just closed. While browsing Gamestops website about an hour ago, I noticed some used games in-stock at a new location in Prestonsburg. Anyone know anything about this store? I've been dying, having to drive 50 minutes to Pikeville just to go to a Gamestop, so if there really is a new one 20 minutes away, I'll be very happy.[/QUOTE]

It didn't close. They couldn't open it due to some sort of agreement with Movie Gallery's lease of no video game retailers allowed in the lot. So they had to wait for MG to close so that they could open it. It's alright a few of the guys that worked the P'ville location are working their now. It's like every other GS I've ever been to. If it's a shorter drive definitely go to Prestonsburg.

Yeah, I stopped in today. It's a nice location and a pretty large store (the main one I used to go to back when I lived in Wisconsin was half the size). It definitely beats driving all the way out to Pikeville. The guy working there was really nice too, which is a great change of pace. Most GS's I've been in have employees that are just downright rude.

What's up guys? Witty here, born and raised in Louisville, and currently attending UofL for an Arts and Sciences degree (would you like fries with that.)

P.S. The Cardinal has teeth! WTF?

Sailorneorune is looking for CAGs in the WKY - here's one. Though my wife, kids, and I are basically nomads (I sing opera for a living and travel from gig to gig), I grew up and frequent western KY. Marion is the town - about an hour drive NE from Paducah - where I was raised and where my parents still live. Gotta bring those grandkids in for them to see as often as possible. ;-)

^_^ Welcome!

This is actually a thread for all Kentucky CAGs - finding ones in the western part of the state is just a bonus that I hope will one day lead to a CAG meetup at OMGCon in Paducah. Being in western Kentucky also makes it easier to sneak across the bridge for sushi and $10 copies of Professor Layton and the Unwound Future.

Hoping to spend about twice as much time (and money lol) in Paducah as I normally do come June 2011, so I can see my youngest cousin before her 16th birthday and invite her to party down with us at OMGCon.

[quote name='Sailorneorune']^_^ Welcome!

This is actually a thread for all Kentucky CAGs - finding ones in the western part of the state is just a bonus that I hope will one day lead to a CAG meetup at OMGCon in Paducah. Being in western Kentucky also makes it easier to sneak across the bridge for sushi and $10 copies of Professor Layton and the Unwound Future.

Hoping to spend about twice as much time (and money lol) in Paducah as I normally do come June 2011, so I can see my youngest cousin before her 16th birthday and invite her to party down with us at OMGCon.[/QUOTE]

CAG meetup at OMGCon would be great. I've never been, but I was thinking about going.

Anyone from northern ky area want to grab a beer and hit a arcade with me sometime? Im from around cincinnati area. Shoot me a pm sometime if anyone wants to just chat some or whatnot.

[quote name='gargus']Anyone from northern ky area want to grab a beer and hit a arcade with me sometime? Im from around cincinnati area. Shoot me a pm sometime if anyone wants to just chat some or whatnot.[/QUOTE]
Fellow NKY CAg here. I think this site has caused me to spend more money over the years on games as I'm afraid to miss out on all the great deals that are too good to pass on.

BG, KY here. Moved to BG when I came to WKU 6 years ago. Just finished graduate school there and am now looking for a job in the state (preferably Lexington area). I'm a KMart release week frequenter but I hit up Great Escape and CD Warehouse for some amazing deals on games pretty often too.

I'm from and live in Minnesota...but I have property down in Murray that I visit often (that and my family used to basically own like half the city a long long time ago); so as far as I care, I belong here too :cool:.

Wish KY had a deal thread, so I'd have something to watch each time I was down there. WIthout it though, I've managed to get some of my coolest finds down there. Most recent was Shenmue II for Dreamcast! complete and mint for $2!!!

Hey all! I have an extra Wii U for retail. Ended up with an extra when both WalMart and Gamestop preorders pulled through. Would rather get it to a fellow gamer or to a family that will use it, than just return it to GS. I'm in Shelbyville, but work in Louisville.

My wife and I moved from Cincinnati to NKY area (close to the river) and we'll be here for about a year while she finishes a residency. I've got to say... I really like living in Ky. We visit newport/florence frequently, but aside from that is there anything you guys recommend we check out? We're not really into the bar scene very much, but are always on the lookout for fun and interesting things to do.

We're both big time board/video gamers. Lately we've been playing a LOT of TF2 (we play competitively), Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2, Halo 4, Black Ops2, and Orcs Must Die 2. Nice to meet you all!

[quote name='Cimpy101']My wife and I moved from Cincinnati to NKY area (close to the river) and we'll be here for about a year while she finishes a residency. I've got to say... I really like living in Ky. We visit newport/florence frequently, but aside from that is there anything you guys recommend we check out? We're not really into the bar scene very much, but are always on the lookout for fun and interesting things to do.

We're both big time board/video gamers. Lately we've been playing a LOT of TF2 (we play competitively), Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2, Halo 4, Black Ops2, and Orcs Must Die 2. Nice to meet you all![/QUOTE]

If you like mountain biking check out England Idlewild, just outside Florence in Burlington. Hmmm... Skyline Chili. Restaurants... Rio Grande (Mexican) in Newport is good and cheap, Guru (Indian) in Crescent Springs is excellent. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of stuff. When I think of it I'll post.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']If you like mountain biking check out England Idlewild, just outside Florence in Burlington. Hmmm... Skyline Chili. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of stuff. When I think of it I'll post.[/QUOTE]

Haha, We're no strangers to skyline. We both grew up in Cincy so I've consumed my weight in chili/coneys by now I imagine. Mountain biking has been one of those things I've always wanted to try out but would need a rental. We love outdoor activities, but obviously with winter that will be pretty limited. On that note, we're planning to try skiing for the first time at perfect north soon.

Check out the Loveland bike trail (I know not in NKY but close enough). It is paved but very long and you can rent bikes there also. I edited in a few restaurants me and my wife like in my previous post. Oh, Montoyas in Crescent Springs is also a good Mexican restaurant. Rio Grande can be a little overly greasy. Yeah I'm a Skyline addict so I always mention that. Oh, you can hike out at England Idelwild as well. Not just for mountain biking.

We were excited to see our favorite Mexican restaurant has a branch in NKY. It's called Cancun. Delicious!
We've actually been on the loveland trail once a while back. I couldn't believe it, but there was a bike rental shop there that was closed, but they just left the bikes out back unlocked. There was a sign that said to drop a donation in the box and grab a bike. Very trustworthy of them

[quote name='icyjones']Just a heads up for Louisville people. Wii U's in stock at Best Buy in St. Matthews and the KMart on Taylorsville Rd.[/QUOTE]

The moms roll out hard for these!

I guess this is the all-purpose Bluegrass CAG thread. Feel free to post deals if you like. :)

I haven't really thought to post deals because the things I tend to save on are pretty random, and I wouldn't have any information on deals for not-western Kentucky. Most of the CAGs who have visited my humble thread are from Louisville. I am about 2.5 hours away from Louisville.

I can say that the Henderson Gamestop has some good people, and the Paducah Gamestops had blessed me with many a Phoenix Wright game in the past. Knight's Comics (Henderson) is a great place for cards and non-video games. They occasionally have full-run package deals on some interesting comics.

I am also a yearly supporter of the Little Con that Could - OMGcon in Paducah. I

Anyone know of any Board game/video game meetups or events in NKY? My wife and I are looking to meet some new likeminded people around our age (Late 20's). We've recently moved a little further away from our friends so any suggestions would be appreciated!

I did not know these threads existed...

Anyways, reporting in from Newport, Kentucky (very Northern tip of the Commonwealth). If you have been to the Hofbrauhaus, you have been by my place.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas'] Guru (Indian) in Crescent Springs is excellent[/QUOTE]

I remember how happy I was when the folks that run Ambar opened a location in Northern Kentucky. Get me some Chicken Tikka and Lamb Rogen Josh (sp?) and I am a happy man.

There hadn't been a Bluegrass CAG thread until I made this one a while back. :) I'm glad that we can have a place to call our own, and be civil.

Welcome!

[quote name='ck76']I did not know these threads existed...

Anyways, reporting in from Newport, Kentucky (very Northern tip of the Commonwealth). If you have been to the Hofbrauhaus, you have been by my place.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty much 3-5 min away from you. Hello neighbor.

[quote name='Cimpy101']I'm pretty much 3-5 min away from you. Hello neighbor.[/QUOTE]

Hello neighbor. It is hard to meet folks. My fiancee and I have mentioned this time to time. If you'd like to do a game night be cool to come to your place and meet a fellow CAG. What games do you like? I own a Playstation 3 and a 3DS.

If you'd prefer meet in public for safety I understand. Ever been to Moka or Tom&Chee?

[quote name='Cimpy101']Anyone know of any Board game/video game meetups or events in NKY? My wife and I are looking to meet some new likeminded people around our age (Late 20's). We've recently moved a little further away from our friends so any suggestions would be appreciated![/QUOTE]

Well if you lived about 5 or so hours away, my gaming group does that stuff all the time. I'm in Paducah, which is on the western side of the state.

Henderson here. I was transplanted here in the last few years after living most of my life in Evansville, IN.

I'm an Xbox 360 player, with small amounts of PC games thrown in.

I have to say the GameStop here in Henderson is great. I never liked GameStop before the one here opened. I just love the people who work there.

Yay! More western Kentucky people!

Also a Hendersonian. I agree our GameStop is better than pretty much every other GameStop I've been to, especially since Paducah is out of Phoenix Wright games.

The only downfall of our GameStop is the fact that with it being in a smaller town, we have less of a chance of getting midnight launches.

[quote name='Snoopielyn']The only downfall of our GameStop is the fact that with it being in a smaller town, we have less of a chance of getting midnight launches.[/QUOTE]

Most of the games with midnight launches are crap anyway.

[quote name='Sailorneorune']Most of the games with midnight launches are crap anyway.[/QUOTE]

We did manage to get a midnight launch for Borderlands 2, but that's about it so far for any of the games that most stores have had midnight launches for that I've been interested in.

Well, I think there had also been Madden and a few others. (Why would someone stay up until midnight for the same game they bought last year?) Pretty much anything guaranteed to pull a few million copies to the cherished 18-34-year-old males will get a midnight launch.

I'd love to see a midnight launch for a Pokemon game.

I'm probably being to hopeful that there will be a midnight launch for Bioshock Infinite. Not sure where that falls in with the 18-34 year old male crowd. Not being male, that's a crowd I've never belonged to. :p

I definitely agree on your thoughts on the Madden games, but then I also don't play any sports games at all.

Yeah, I don't see a Pokemon game getting a midnight launch. There just isn't enough gun play, I guess. ;)

Pretty much any game with an M rating and a multi-million-dollar advertising budget gets a midnight launch (at least in Indiana). And Madden. Bioshock has a great story and seems to be the most intelligent of the FPS games I've seen played... maybe because both my fiancé and I avoid online multiplayer like the plague.

18-34-year-old males have been the demographic most advertisers pour their money to appealing to. So, it seems to me most big games are made to appeal to them. Maybe it's just me wanting to walk up to whoever is heading up Team Ninja now and slap them with a rolled-up newspaper.

Buying games like Animal Crossing is my way of giving them the finger.

I avoid competitive online multiplayer, but sometimes enjoy co-op online multiplayer. I still can only really enjoy it with certain types of people though, as I have a low tolerance for listening to young teenagers bash their teammates. I also get irritated being called "kid." Apparently it's unheard of that a middle aged woman would be playing a game, so they assume my voice belongs to a young teenage boy. That always makes it interesting when my almost 20 year old son joins me in a game and calls me Mom.

I don't buy many games on release day, but I have considered pre-ordering them in Evansville just for a better chance at a midnight launch. The GameStop here in Henderson sometimes doesn't have midnight launches for the same games they have for midnight launch in Evansville.

I used to be mostly a casual pc gamer. My son introduced me to games he thought I'd like and gradually added more as my taste expanded. I'm not great at action games, but I have patience with things, so I've gotten better with practice. Never thought I'd play an FPS type game, but find myself willing if the story line of a game is good enough.

I think Bioshock Infinite is getting a midnight launch here. Co-op is the way to go for online games, I think. (I have some fond memories of Phantasy Star Online.) People tend to act more civilized when working together. It's frustrating to see kids bash each other for no reason, other than to just be obnoxious. To be honest, I get aggravated at people being obnoxious in general... I enjoy RPGs and platformers, mostly - my favorites include Zelda, Animal Crossing, Phoenix Wright, and LittleBigPlanet.

People should also learn not to assume that you're a kid just because you have a high voice. I get that a lot too... and it's frustrating. :p It's really satisfying when we get to teach them a lesson, though.

Games are for all of us.

I'll be at EvilleCon this weekend, rocking the StreetPass Evansville table with giveaways for 3DS point cards and Phoenix Wright on the DS, Stupid Mii Tricks, and whatever else I can pull out of my Luigi hat.

/almost 30
//probably still going to go for the Pikachu 3DS XL

bread's done
Back