Kick! Punch! It’s all in the mind. GGT #54

Status
Not open for further replies.
I highly recommend playing through the games instead of reading up on it. it's one of those things where if you invest the time into it, you'll feel satisfied and proud.

[quote name='jer7583']Why can't I just play MGS4 on my 360, konami?

I'm never spending $500 to play one game.[/quote]
I wasn't going to go for a PS3 just yet. But after Disgaea 3 got a release date I changed my mind. That game will keep me busy long enough for the other PS3 games I want to come out.

[quote name='nyprimus4']Is there something online I can read to catch me up with Metal Gear Solid series up until 4 because I really don't want to play 3 games if I don't have to. I will if it is completely necessary but if there is a good plot synopsis somewhere I would prefer that.[/quote]
Game Trailers has a Metal Gear Retrospective up. I haven't took the time to watch them yet so I can really say much more then that.

[quote name='Wyatt']Wikipedia is your friend.[/quote]

Wikipedia IS NOT your friend. You'll probably see MGS4 spoilers in MGS1 stuff.

For as much I've played Disgaea 3, I can say it's pretty enjoyable. I just wished they'd make the enviroment larger. When you zoom out, that's when everything looks nice and crisp, but once you execute actions/end turn it zooms right back in, something I've always been nit picky about :/

Other than that, gameplay is smooth, basically builds on Disgaea's Battle system and adds some tweaks, bells and whistles, etc.. Expect to spend 100+ hours on the game ;)
I can't wait for it to come stateside, since half the time I didn't know what was going on :p

On another note, I just noticed FF IV DS' release date, and it comes out on my birthday :D

Went to a local game store today and they impressed me again. I traded in Time Crisis 4 and they gave me $40 in credit...GS had offered me something ridiculous for it.

They had Quake Wars for $40 which I was considering, but I don't want a game that's dependent on the online.

[quote name='jer7583']Why can't I just play MGS4 on my 360, konami?

I'm never spending $500 to play one game.[/QUOTE]It probably will not happen. If there's any series Sony will pay to keep exclusive to their platform, it's Metal Gear (just look at how hard they are pushing it with constant blog entries over the game). And it's not just that, late ports just don't sell regardless. Although Bioshock is coming to PS3, I guarantee it will not sell too great because it was a late port. If it was released on the same day as the 360 version, sales would be more comparable. Even with VF5 adding online play and C version content, it didn't sell as well as the PS3 version, because it was a late port. Last gen (in the U.S.), RE4 sold better on GC (despite the GC having a much smaller userbase than PS2) because it came to GC first. MGS2 Substance didn't sell too well on Xbox due to being a year later than MGS2 on PS2. The game does use up a 50GB blu-ray disc too (Kojima even wanted more space).

Anyway, every game platform will have their own third party exclusives, regardless. You either have to own every platform to play all the games, or just go without owning every platform and accept the fact that another platform got an exclusive game. I know those without a 360 who would really want Ace Combat 6. I know those without a Wii who'd love to have No More Heroes. And I know those without a PS3 who badly want MGS4, that's just how it works. Occasional exclusives are good for healthy competition.

And btw, it's really only $400 to play MGS4. ;) You may not get the PS2 BC, but it plays MGS4 (and there are deals to get it even less. Anyway, your loss IMO.
[quote name='Inf^Shini']For as much I've played Disgaea 3, I can say it's pretty enjoyable. I just wished they'd make the enviroment larger. When you zoom out, that's when everything looks nice and crisp, but once you execute actions/end turn it zooms right back in, something I've always been nit picky about :/

Other than that, gameplay is smooth, basically builds on Disgaea's Battle system and adds some tweaks, bells and whistles, etc.. Expect to spend 100+ hours on the game ;)
I can't wait for it to come stateside, since half the time I didn't know what was going on :p

On another note, I just noticed FF IV DS' release date, and it comes out on my birthday :D[/QUOTE]Yeah, it looks pretty cool and I plan to get it. :D

[quote name='Dandeschain']So, I spoke with the guy that has the PS3 for $250. Turns out, he bought it refurbished from GS. What, exactly, do they do when they refurb something? What does the GGT think of this deal? Yay or nay?[/QUOTE]PS3 failure rate is on the lower side, but I would just make sure it plays everything okay.

A couple of things I hate about Ninja Gaiden 2:

- Bad Camera + Small Cooridors = FAIL
The camera is okay in large areas, but in those tight, turning cooridors, it's awful. At least there aren't any doors.

- Difficulty Curve
Butt easy to okay to Insanely Hard to okay to Challenging to Insanely Hard. The difficulty curve needs some work. If it weren't for the Auto-Healing Mechanic, it'd be harder that Normal on NGB. On Acolyte it should be Easier than NGB's Ninja Dog with Auto-Healing. I might not be able to beat it in time, or at all because of this.

- Glitches
The first door when you're inside on the very first level (Come on, that's a joke), enemies getting spawned outside of an enclosed area so you have to restart to get though (Dead serious).

Slowdown
- The framerate isn't smooth at all. It touches 60 fps a lot, but more and more, it's hitting 50 and 45. I just started Chapter 9, and I'm fearing the worst.

But the combat is fun, and despite some of the maniacal BS I've seen in this game (Level 3 boss, Return of the Ghost Fish, and Blocking ceases to work after like a second sometimes) it is still a fun game. Just not a $60 one. I'd have to give it an 8 right now.

Oh, and I've crossed the Streams on achievements. I have 32 right now with 320 points in it, so I should get past 500 if I beat it. And I've done every Test of Valor so far.

[quote name='zewone']Plus, Quake Wars sucks.[/QUOTE]

Extra glad I didn't get it then. For some reason I thought it was supposed to be good.

[quote name='whoknows']Extra glad I didn't get it then. For some reason I thought it was supposed to be good.[/QUOTE]When looking at the images and hearing impressions of it, I kind of figured it wouldn't turn out too good on consoles (especially the PS3 version, which looks not too good graphically IMO. And oh course the PS3 isn't exactly good for PC ports IMO). One of my good friends was saying he really wanted the game more than anything (more than a GTAIV or MGS4), but ended up disappointed.

If you get the Wal-Mart/BB deal on the PS3 this week, just get a 40 GB and use the $100 for MGS4 and DS3.

Also. Hope the Lakers/Celtics game is a good one tonight!

Get a 40, the BC ain't all that anyways IMO.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Should I spend the extra money getting a Dualshock 3 before MGS4 comes out?[/quote]

Yes, you should.

just finished Dark Sector. i enjoyed it much more than Haze. i give it a 8/10 what game should i play next?:

GTA 4
DMC 4
Folklore

all of them i started but never finished due to school

I'd say DMC4 as it's the fastest. I STILL haven't beaten Folklore. I really have to go back to it. You should probably hit GTA4 last as it's good not to burn through it.

Man, there are so many good games in I need to get for the summer

DMC4
MGS4
GTA4
NG2
Rock Band

I need some fuggin cash.

On another note, I threw down some Halo 3 last night, and ended up playing for like 4 hours. Shit, that was awesome.

[quote name='refusedchaos']just finished Dark Sector. i enjoyed it much more than Haze. i give it a 8/10 what game should i play next?:

GTA 4
DMC 4
Folklore

all of them i started but never finished due to school[/QUOTE]I wanted to say, sorry I forgot to send you a PM today with a picture of another game. I got distracted and forgot. :( I'll get to it.

I need to finish Folklore, but got stuck on a boss with Keats. I'm half way through DMC4. I really want to finish it also.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I wanted to say, sorry I forgot to send you a PM today with a picture of another game. I got distracted and forgot. :( I'll get to it.

I need to finish Folklore, but got stuck on a boss with Keats. I'm half way through DMC4. I really want to finish it also.[/QUOTE]

no problem bro. its summer, i feel so relaxed and happy that i have time for my games!

off to DMC4 i go!

I need to replace my shitty Sixaxis anyway, due to the R2 button sticking. I take it the L2 and R2 buttons are still bootleg on the DS3?

MGS4 this Thursday baby!! Until then, I'm going to rifle through a bunch of quick games like shmups and fighters. Nothing too involved.

I'll not buy a Dual Shock 3 until my 2 6Axes are done for.

Woot, selling MGS tomorrow and probably am gonna Goozex GTA4.

Thinking about picking up Burnout Paradise down the road here. If I could get it for like... $25 I'd snap it up.

dood!!!

I beat Panzer Dragoon Saga!!

I gotta tell u guys like it is...

this game is sex... but better!!!

the reason it's better is becoz after sex u cant get your money back...

but after Panzer Dragoon Saga u can sell it back the exact say way you bought it!!

but to further the analogy,

if u got the skillz, you can get Panzer Dragoon Saga / sex for FREE!!!

OOOOOOOHHH!!!

so what's next for the JEKKIMAN?!?!

hmmm... how about sum...

336016719_f0d272a369.jpg

What's so good about it, MM?

Anyway, after listening to part of the Retronauts podcast about Metal Gear, I stopped it and picked up where I left off in my umpteenth playthrough of MGS2. I stopped a couple months ago and was convinced I'd never get around to finishing this play-through of the game, but here I am, right before the final boss. I still love this game to def, and I still really like the story.

[quote name='MarkMan']Hey JEKKI, that's my favorite SS game. Go do it!

Playing on your PC or PSP?[/QUOTE]neither yo...

playin on my saturn!!

Y2K SKILLENIUM!

:)

Magic Knight Rayearth was just a solid action RPG styled game. Pretty damn dated, but it was fun when I first played it and when I replayed it sometime in 2001. I thought the anime/manga was decent too :x

[quote name='MarkMan']Hey JEKKI, that's my favorite SS game. Go do it!

Playing on your PC or PSP?[/QUOTE]
Seriously? I liked Rayearth and all, but your favorite Saturn game? Better than Burning Rangers and Dragon Force?

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Seriously? I liked Rayearth and all, but your favorite Saturn game? Better than Burning Rangers and Dragon Force?[/quote]

I love Burning Rangers too! Dragon Force is good as well, but I guess I grew to like Rayearth more over time. I revisited the game again last Summer, just played it for a bit with my daughter who loves Magic Knight Rayearth (she's been watching the DVDs etc. lol)...

I think part of the thing that makes me like it too is the game's packaging/cover.

[quote name='daroga']Well played! Now go for really old school and beat Kirby's Dream Land. KDL>all other Kirby games and is like 30 minutes long. Fantastic.

After seeing Speed Racer yesterday, I'm hoping Nintendo's going to pull another F-zero out at E3. Maybe get Sega in on it again. Heck, may re-release GX with a slightly toned down difficulty. ;)[/QUOTE]

I used to have the origial dream land , but I lost it at some point. Personally , superstar I think is better than the the original , but the original is refreshing in its simplicity. Never liked the third boss , kablooie though.

I'm getting the feeling nintendo might be prepping a new f-zero as well but I don't know why.

[quote name='The Mana Knight'] Finally got around to playing the game I sold to you. ;) It's an awesome game. I think I prefer Mario Kart Wii personally (I've been more of a Mario Kart fan over the years), but I liked GX much better than Double Dash.[/quote]

Ability to replay races you fail in a grand prix? Check for F Zero.
Chance to be cheated out of (or cheat for) a win due to items and race placement? Mario Kart.
Sweet rides? Meh...they'll both get it (though F Zero is sick compared to cartoonish MK imo)
Replay your races? Again, double check.
Save your replays? F Zero, baby, F Zero.
Online? Mario Kart (though I haven't even scratched the surface of it - played 1 match).

Until I play s'more Mario Kart (even if its offine or the wondrous online), I'm sticking with F Zero GX is better...of course, this is just my opinion.

[quote name='The Mana Knight'] I'm a little upset with myself because I got into posting again. I took a 1.5 day break, since I'll be honest that posting really stresses me out and I'm more relaxed when I don't post (and just go to lurking).[/quote]

Who cares what you post bro, don't sweat it. It's not like people are gunna go after you if you say something "out there", well maybe...but not all the people :cool:.

Anyways, Pikmin 2 is pretty fun. I picked up a copy at a local rental place that closed down for $10...would never have gotten it for the absurd amounts its going for now though.

Who knew people took posting so seriously ;)

I picked up a copy of Rayearth awhile back, I was jazzed to get one for $30 in mint condition with the sticker pack still unused and brand new :D

Ever since then it's just been sitting on my shelf #-o

Saturn is my shmup machine!

Had a Sega CD for a short while back in the day, but with a couple exceptions, it was pretty crappy. :p

K, finished MGS2. Something I've never gotten that I've always wondered about with Rose:

So was it actually the real Rose that was providing assistance via the codec? I'm guessing that it was, since in the conversation she and Raiden have at the end, she seems to be caught up and all that... but what about when all the shit starts going crazy after the virus starts acting? I feel like I'm maybe missing something

I really hope MGS4 = resolution. I mean, I've wanted to find out what happens for 7 years now...

I have a Sega CDX with a broken door that doesn't hold itself up anymore. Works fine otherwise.

Saturn still going strong. Just changed the battery again.

Chac's spoiler:
Rose is real up until she tells Raiden she's pregnant. After that point it's the AI talking, not Rose. Kojima used Rose as the voice of reality. She's the one trying to get Raiden to stop "playing the game" and think about the real world. That's why she annoys us as players. Raiden himself is supposed to represent us. Everything from the fact that he was training only in VR missions to him getting angry at Rose for trying to get him to stop playing.

MGS4 has resolution, but maybe not how you want it. And very little resolution for Raiden. I think he might be the Metal Gear series star now, since the solid series is over. It might make sense.

[quote name='Chacrana']K, finished MGS2. Something I've never gotten that I've always wondered about with Rose:

So was it actually the real Rose that was providing assistance via the codec? I'm guessing that it was, since in the conversation she and Raiden have at the end, she seems to be caught up and all that... but what about when all the shit starts going crazy after the virus starts acting? I feel like I'm maybe missing something

I really hope MGS4 = resolution. I mean, I've wanted to find out what happens for 7 years now...[/QUOTE]

I've been wondering the same as well...

in terms of resolution, from all the people I hear that have beaten it already they say it feels like it really does a good job in closing all the open ended doors alongside resolving every character's issues.

I'm being lazy and don't wanna look it up , but does the 32x and the segaCD link up with the Genesis model 3? I don't think they do since the model 3 was meant to cut costs and by that point the 32x and sega cd were pretty much history were they not?

It wouldn't matter for the sega cd though since that can run by itself correct? The 32x though would be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back