Killzone 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']you don't get points for re-repairing stuff.[/quote]

Yeah, I'd like a link to one of his 100+ repair match replays so I can see it myself.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Can you repair yours/others turrets?[/quote]

Yep! You can fix damaged ammo crates, bots (even the aerial ones have health bars but I don't know how you could reach them... lol), and mounted guns.

Well, now that my super-secret playstyle is out in the open I might as well speak on it.

For repairs, you get one Mission Point everytime you "build" something - ammo box, turret. If you destroy an enemy's ammo box or turret, you have the ability to build on top of it and make your own. I'd say, on a normal sized map, there are 10-12 spots that are able to be built/repaired (easy 10-12 points off the bat). You can't destroy a teammate's spot and build your own and get rewarded with a point, and you don't get a point for fully repairing something that's already been built (i.e. someone else's ammo box, turret, or bot). Most Mission Points, I found, come from going back and rebuilding an ammo box or turret once an enemy has destroyed it - and it's very common for me to have people constantly blowing up my shit around the map. It's not just something you do at the beginning of a game and leave sitting there, you have to constantly run around and make sure every spot on the map has an object there. In the end, I'd say having a repairman on your team is beneficial to the player (points) and the team (ammo, turrets).

When you combine that with the ability to rack up mad points killing people (50 kills a game or so) then you get loaded with points and are always at the top of the scoreboard. Also, my preference is to use the Medic class with this ability. I get the 1 point for reviving a teammate, plus it sort of makes me the support player on the team (the fact that I bring people back to life and provide them with turrets and ammo).

When I'm playing alone, I often get more points than the #1 person on the opposite team who even gets the 1.5X for winning. My best match under normal time limits (as compared to the current trend of making longer games that last ~30 minutes) was 149 - 68 kills, 11 deaths, and 51 Mission Points (223 with the multiplier). However, as I'm usually playing with at least one or two other good players, my average for the normal ~15-20 minute game is about 110 with the multiplier, depending on the map. Although I usually only get a good four nights in each week with Killzone 2, I usually get 4500-5000 points a week for a small amount of time.

I wouldn't advise using my strategy if you can't hold your own in the game or have a shitty K/D ratio (as you'll likely be traveling behind enemy lines to get in some repairs and/or heals). Also, whenever I run into another person on my team who uses my repair gimmick, I notice that they only know one or two spots on the map and they usually stay on the complete other side of all the action. Don't do that. For one, you won't get points. Secondly, one or two people in the game can make a big difference when you're going for a bomb arm or propaganda return. If you play with the Repair ability enough, you should be able to see a nice line between where you are and the objective that allows you to repair shit on the way to assassinating a target or defending a position, etc. It's almost like connecting the dots, except in this case you're racking up points as you move through the map to complete whatever objective. Learn the maps and all the points and you'll be swimming in points before you know it.

[quote name='enufs8d']
mana - perhaps in the cag games, we need to have a gentlemen's rule with no spawn camping at bases. its not that fun and at best its going to turn people away.[/QUOTE]I don't believe these a way to fix that in the settings. I'll check.

Sorry, I never noticed this posts since I rarely check this thread (I did a search for my name around CAG just today).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I don't believe these a way to fix that in the settings. I'll check.
[/QUOTE]

That's why he said "gentleman's rule".

It was great playing in the CAG game night last night. I am not great as that was my second time playing online. Hit me up some time for some games if you are on wanting other to play with. I playing the single player on the highest default and loving it. Between this, Motostorm: PR, and Valkyrie Profile I seem to be on my PS3 far more than my 360 these days. So hit me up for something online.

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']That's a sweet feature, you think you can find the CAGcast game night one and post it?[/quote]

Just log into your profile and find it in your stats (if you played in those games). Should be on the bottom left of your My Killzone page.

Tried doing Campaign on Elite again. I got past the 2 Heavies part, ugh...what a chore full of cheap bullshitty death there. I mean...I'm getting hit by bullets I can't hear unless I turn my volume up to 50! Then I duck, heal to full, come out of cover and I've taken some damage for now apparent reason.

And then there's the allies...down in 2 hits, heal them, only to die 2 seconds later. What bullshit. Oh wait, I'm down now. Ally, help me up! Oh wait, I'M DEAD!

You know, I think I have a simple solution to this problem for ally AI being weak as shit. Instead of following their own unique HP pattern, how about they follow the HP pattern of the enemy? Then people wouldn't bitch about how much the ally AI sucks!

[quote name='Yuyama']Just keep on shootin'. :p

But seriously, hold out as long as you can against the soldiers until something huge crashes through the windows so you can kill the guys with rocket launchers. Then it's up to you to put Radec out of his misery. Be sure to use the shotgun. I'd try and stay near the enclosed area with the weapon rack instead of being out in the open though.
[/QUOTE]

I just beat Killzone 2!

thanks for the hint, came in handy, although I never did use the shotgun though. I beat it on hard, I just don't know if I can beat it on Elite....

I noticed in the campaign that if you get more than 20 feet away from your AI partner, they get dropped instantly. I wonder if it was programmed like that on purpose?

My problem with the engineer repair ability is you have to unlock it... why can't it be the other way around (the repair ability unlocks the turrets).

Still at one ribbon for turret kills, and none for air support (on my 4th day at this...)

[quote name='rumarudrathas']My problem with the engineer repair ability is you have to unlock it... why can't it be the other way around (the repair ability unlocks the turrets).

Still at one ribbon for turret kills, and none for air support (on my 4th day at this...)[/quote]

If it was the other way around, you would be able to mix the turret ability with another class and I don't think they wanted that.

[quote name='Maklershed']I got a Valor Cross! :whee:[/QUOTE]

congrats. I just got the commendation for the past week.

You guys should also look for pistol-only rooms. Some don't lock the classes, so you can easily place some turrets and/or air support for some easy kills while people are trying to pistol each other.

[quote name='shinryuu']You guys should also look for pistol-only rooms. Some don't lock the classes, so you can easily place some turrets and/or air support for some easy kills while people are trying to pistol each other.[/QUOTE]

But that sounds like a dick move to fuck up a pistol-only game, right?

Holy shit that's some good griefing right there. Totally a dick move but I guess if you don't give a shit, it's a good way to pad points. Not for me though.

[quote name='mykevermin']But that sounds like a dick move to fuck up a pistol-only game, right?[/quote]

IDK, I guess my ability to set up ineffective turrets or deploying erratic sentry bots makes up for the fact that I get 2-shot easily by the vast amount of m4 wielders....

The sentry bots still can't kill in pistol-only games. I joined a game a week ago where the Medic and Tactician were the only classes allowed and I still couldn't get one kill, at all. I was the only Tactician on my team and I threw out a sentry everytime I was able to, yet I couldn't get anyone with it. Absolutely pathetic. This was on Blood Gracht too.

The turrets do work though. Feel free to use those things in the pistol-only games. It's the room creator's fault that he didn't block all the classes in the first place, so I wouldn't really call it griefing.

[quote name='Thomas96']This game on Elite is too hard... I wish they would have just made it harder with more enemies.[/quote]

Definitely agree on this. This is the first time this gen I feel like throwing my control through the TV.
The two heavies part took me about an hour and a lot of cursing. It's pretty simple once you find the right place to hide though.

non pistol games are better, and non explosives games are even better than that for turrets...

just worked straight for a few hours to go from 0 pistol ribbons to all 8 ribbons... the revolver is damn nice, even if it was just for the silver look... but the faster reload times and higher power make it totally worth it... plus I got 3 tactitian ribbons in a row randomly which made things even better :)

hey, ryaend, i figured out why we havent had our aerial bot match yet... you're not on your my friends list. lol..

ill be free after my exams next week.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']non pistol games are better, and non explosives games are even better than that for turrets...

just worked straight for a few hours to go from 0 pistol ribbons to all 8 ribbons... the revolver is damn nice, even if it was just for the silver look... but the faster reload times and higher power make it totally worth it... plus I got 3 tactitian ribbons in a row randomly which made things even better :)[/QUOTE]

congrats

pistols is fairly easy to get if youre in the right room - pistols only, very limited classes (definitely no assault - whats of the point of making people harder to kill) and 12 mins. i found that body count 5 mins is really pushing it to get 10 pistol kills.

[quote name='enufs8d']hey, ryaend, i figured out why we havent had our aerial bot match yet... you're not on your my friends list. lol..

ill be free after my exams next week.[/quote]

I want to join in since it's the last job thing I need... :bomb:

proud of my stats.. though I die alot I'm more focused on unlocking stuff ATM than anything else...

http://killzone.com/kz/mykillzone.psml?kz_user_id=Rolento

got a crappy gold thing as well for all intel.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I want to join in since it's the last job thing I need... :bomb:[/quote]

I wouldn't mind getting in on that too since it's obvious I wont ever get it in the course of actual play. And I absolutely need the Tactician/Boost combo.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']plus it's shiny :)

honestly, the shinyness looks great.[/quote]

And loud too. It's like a handheld cannon.

[quote name='Maklershed']I wouldn't mind getting in on that too since it's obvious I wont ever get it in the course of actual play. And I absolutely need the Tactician/Boost combo. [/quote]

Who doesn't? I'd like an in on that as well. Ugh, I actually took a few days off of KZ2 because I was kinda depressed about it. Hell we should just do a "Air Support Ribbon Night."

Where is everyone learning all the ins and outs of the classes and abilities? The descriptions in game seem pretty vague.

I played again for 2.5 hours last night a total of 8 hours on Mulit and still do not understand the entire set of badges etc.

i can't seem to kill anyone with the sentry turret for the turret ribbon =(
any tips?

also, is it possible just to play with bots and gain ribbons?
or is there some kind of online bots? =O

[quote name='Xeph820']i can't seem to kill anyone with the sentry turret for the turret ribbon =(
any tips?

also, is it possible just to play with bots and gain ribbons?
or is there some kind of online bots? =O[/quote]

high ground, tight hallways, busy areas. also note their range is long but not noticeable till you place them high. Also better if there are no explosives.

one of the biggest problems people forget about is why you have a shotgun... not entirely for killing but it's for when you need to destroy turrets when you realize they are in a bad spot or need to be moved.

[quote name='zenprime']Rolento you should just write a blog post about how to best use turrets and point people to that when questions come up.[/quote]

good point... will do. I'm not the best at it, but I think I have a good understanding.

[quote name='Xeph820']oh ok.
can you only place 1 turret one at a time? and can only build another one if the previous one got destroyed?[/quote]

your limit is 4, but it's a shared pool with all other engineers. feel free to kill their turrets if you think they are in a useless place. you'd be doing yourself and the team a favor.

[quote name='Xeph820']oh ok.
can you only place 1 turret one at a time? and can only build another one if the previous one got destroyed?[/quote]
Your team has a limit of 4. So you could place up to 4 at a time provided no one else is building them.

I need to start working on get that ribbon for Melee and Pistol kills... But I highly doubt I'll get that with out cheating.

bread's done
Back