Kmart Gift Card deal is back (Again!) 12/19-12/24

Tirade

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
12/19-12/24

Buy a $50 GC and get a $10 Card Free

Ad is already up on Kmart.com

http://kmart.shoplocal.com/kmart/Default.aspx?action=entry&storeid=2422130&pretailerid=-99572
Bottom of the yellow & red ad says 12/19-12/22

Also, its in the current ad but listed for 12/23-12/24

Also, for the brave.. use the $50 GC deal to get some extra $

(This part stolen from SD)

"Here is the key with this promotion. I have done it and others have. You will probably get some resistance but you are allowed to do it.

1 - Buy a $50 GC OOP - receive $10 bonus card ----> $60 GC total
2 - Buy a $50 with 1st $50 - receive $10 bonus card -----> $70 GC total
3 - Buy a $50 with 2nd $50 - receive $10 bonus card ----> $80 GC total
4 - Buy a $50 with 3rd $50 - receive $10 bonus card ----> $90 GC total
5 - Buy a $50 with 4th $50 - receive $10 bonus card ----> $100 GC total
6 - Buy a $100 with 5th $50 and 5 $10 bonus cards - receive 2 $10 bonus card --> $120GC"

Also note you can buy gift cards for other stores with Kmart gift cards (such as Sears). - YMMV with that, but Ive done it w/o a problem.

hmm... it says "buy one Kmart gift card of $50 or more get one $10 Kmart Reward Card" And the reward card appears to look different from a normal gift card, specifically stating it being valued at only $10

I don't know if you guys remembered a similar fye deal on black friday, but when I tried to buy $200 worth of the $50 gift cards, i was also handed 4 separate $10 bonus cards, but looking closely on the back, it said only one per purchase, not valid with use of another. I was planning to get a console using everything at the same time, but unfortunately, fye was smart enough to put out these "promotional" cards. So basically, it was just a crappy coupon which the cashier thought was some bs also, allowing me to return the whole 200 bucks.

I don't really know if Kmart here is doing the same thing, as OP and maybe others said they've already tried this and it works fine, but I just thought this was something to keep in mind.

[quote name='psychoxfoo']hmm... it says "buy one Kmart gift card of $50 or more get one $10 Kmart Reward Card" And the reward card appears to look different from a normal gift card, specifically stating it being valued at only $10

I don't know if you guys remembered a similar fye deal on black friday, but when I tried to buy $200 worth of the $50 gift cards, i was also handed 4 separate $10 bonus cards, but looking closely on the back, it said only one per purchase, not valid with use of another. I was planning to get a console using everything at the same time, but unfortunately, fye was smart enough to put out these "promotional" cards. So basically, it was just a crappy coupon which the cashier thought was some bs also, allowing me to return the whole 200 bucks.

I don't really know if Kmart here is doing the same thing, as OP and maybe others said they've already tried this and it works fine, but I just thought this was something to keep in mind.[/quote]
I had the same thought. No one should have been able to use them yet since they are only good between 12/10/07 and 12/31/07.

[quote name='psychoxfoo']hmm... it says "buy one Kmart gift card of $50 or more get one $10 Kmart Reward Card" And the reward card appears to look different from a normal gift card, specifically stating it being valued at only $10

I don't really know if Kmart here is doing the same thing, as OP and maybe others said they've already tried this and it works fine, but I just thought this was something to keep in mind.[/quote]

FYE nabbed me also on this, also in terms of when you can use the card.

[quote name='Tirade']

This is an easy way to get a $59.99 game for $45

[/quote]

This is not true. The 5$ off is good for 3 days. The 10$ gift card can only be used starting the day after the 3 days.

[quote name='Tirade']3 days only (12/6-12/9)

Also, for the brave.. use the $50 GC deal to get some extra $

(This part stolen from SD)

"Here is the key with this promotion. I have done it and others have. You will probably get some resistance but you are allowed to do it.

1 - Buy a $50 GC OOP - receive $10 bonus card ----> $60 GC total
2 - Buy a $50 with 1st $50 - receive $10 bonus card -----> $70 GC total
3 - Buy a $50 with 2nd $50 - receive $10 bonus card ----> $80 GC total
4 - Buy a $50 with 3rd $50 - receive $10 bonus card ----> $90 GC total
5 - Buy a $50 with 4th $50 - receive $10 bonus card ----> $100 GC total
6 - Buy a $100 with 5th $50 and 5 $10 bonus cards - receive 2 $10 bonus card --> $120GC"

Also note you can buy gift cards for other stores with Kmart gift cards (such as Sears). - YMMV with that, but Ive done it w/o a problem.

Update: starting the 9th there is a $25 MIR if you purchase a PS2, PS3 or 360. Also B1G1 50% off on Select 360 Titles (COD4, TH:pG, Spiderman FoF, Bee Movie and more)[/quote]

wow, I am suprised the mods are allowing this type of talk. thats a true scam right there, but sealed "take backs/returns" talk is not allowed. odd

Just went to Kmart and attempted to buy GCs w/ GCs. The cashier wasn't able to process the transaction and had a brainbuster of an idea by telling me to just give whomever I was buying the new GC for my original GC.

ಠ_ಠ

Manager concur'd.

[quote name='Dhuk']wow, I am suprised the mods are allowing this type of talk. thats a true scam right there, actually, robbery, but sealed "take backs/returns" talk is not allowed. odd[/quote]

i don't see how it's a scam if the Kmart in question allows it.

You are using a valid form of currency (gift card) to make a purchase.

the real question is if Kmart is stupid enough to setup a promotion that can be abused like this.

i'm guessing that the $10 gift cards will be restricted in some way, perhaps one per purchase. or that folks who said that they were able to buy a gift card with a gift card were lying.

Here's my idea.

XBox 360 Elite - $450
$450 / $50 Gift Cards = 9 Gift Cards
(8 X $50 GCs) + (8 X $10 Free GCs) = $480 of GC for $400
$450 Elite + $30 Taxes (here in AZ) = $480

So you get an Elite for $50 off, no taxes.

Man, I still wish I jumped on the 20% deal. Can anyone find a better way to do this? I thought about buying 9 cards and use the extra $$$ on Mass Effect or something.

[quote name='daminion']i don't see how it's a scam if the Kmart in question allows it.

You are using a valid form of currency (gift card) to make a purchase.

the real question is if Kmart is stupid enough to setup a promotion that can be abused like this.

i'm guessing that the $10 gift cards will be restricted in some way, perhaps one per purchase. or that folks who said that they were able to buy a gift card with a gift card were lying.[/quote]

When is the last time Kmart ever thinks anything through with their deals and coupons? It's a scam. I'm sure Kmart intended to take a huge loss, for one person to make hundres off of one 50 GC :roll:

I am still baffled at the point of buying a $50 gc with a $50 GC.
I doubt anyone at the register would even make that transaction....

It's makes NO SENSE at all...

" 'i'd like to purchase a $50 gift card please'
'How would you like to pay for that?'
'With this $50 gift card'
'????' "

I have a couple questions...
If I buy a 360 now to ensure that I have a 360 to buy with the gift card deal, then return it when I get the gift cards, how difficult would it be to repurchase the same 360? I've never done something like that before...

And also, is there any way I could get the 360 at Sears before the deal starts, and still get the free $25 GC offer? Kmart doesn't accept Sears returns, right? >_>

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Quote:
LOTS OF MATH[/quote]

Just to clarify, I said I could stand behind the idea, I didn't say I would do it though. Also that was in comparison to the GC scam that was noted earlier in the thread.

In any case, good math. And this thread is so off topic it should be closed or something.

[quote name='dizzle24']I am still baffled at the point of buying a $50 gc with a $50 GC.
I doubt anyone at the register would even make that transaction....

It's makes NO SENSE at all...

" 'i'd like to purchase a $50 gift card please'
'How would you like to pay for that?'
'With this $50 gift card'
'????' "[/quote]
not to encourage this or anything, but couldn't you just say you bout like 3 50 dollar gift cards (or any amount bought from another kmart or a different day--already collecting the bonus 30) for gifts and then you heard about the bonus 10 and wanted to get the bonus cards for yourself.

So your taking your gift cards and repurchasing them so you can get the deal, then you get another 30.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Yes, you have $470 in paypal funds that you spent $500 to get.[/quote]

470 that can be transfered to your checking account for free into real money. 100 dollar gc and 450 dollars or so for 500 dollars. Not really that great but its a free 50 dollar gift card.

im not brave enough to buy a gift card with a gift card so i think ill just buy [3]$100 cards get $60 [in GC] off an xbox 360

[quote name='brandizzle']im not brave enough to buy a gift card with a gift card so i think ill just buy [3]$100 cards get $60 [in GC] off an xbox 360[/quote]

Buy the cards now (as you mentioned) and then buy the system on Sunday to get the additional $25 giftcard (rebate)

Someone should do the gift card scam but buy toys and donate them to toys for tots, and then keep the original amount of money you paid on the gift card.

I mean, it's a good way to get that shithead urge out of your system and still manage to help people around the holidays.

[quote name='J7.']Kmart doesn't send circulars in mail here, do they have the ad with $5 coupon in stores? Or can we print out coupon on online circular?[/quote]
?

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']It doesn't matter. If people were to do it a lot then Kmart would never run this deal again. [/quote]Again? They're not doing such a promotion now.

Gift Cards can not be used to buy other Gift Cards.

[quote name='guinaevere']Again? They're not doing such a promotion now.

Gift Cards can not be used to buy other Gift Cards.[/quote]

That statement is incorrect (at least for my Kmart).

[quote name='guinaevere']Again? They're not doing such a promotion now.

Gift Cards can not be used to buy other Gift Cards.[/QUOTE]

I would hope that is a true statement. Buying gift cards with gift cards does not make any sense at all. If an employee does this they must be very dumb and if management doesn't fire the employee shame on them.

Guinaevere I never said you can buy GCs with GCs. Some SD posters claimed success, that's all. I was originally making an argument against those who said it was okay to scam Kmart. Please read the discusion to understand the context of my posts. :0

Here's a test for anybody with brass ones.

1. Print out the Walmart secret sale of a PS3 purchase earns a $50 gift card.

2. Buy 8 $50 gift cards. (to receive $80 in promo cards later.)

3. Buy a PS3 with the $400 in gift cards.

4. Demand another $50 gift card from customer service (ie. price matching).

5. Mail in for the $25 rebate on the PS3.

If you are successful, your net cost for the PS3 would be

$400 + sales tax - ($80 in promo gift cards + $50 gift card promo match + $25 MIR gift card) = $245 + sales tax.

I guess in exchange for a Fry's, Meijer's and about 1100 other big name stores with great deals that are no where near me... I get a Kmart that allows you to buy giftcards with giftcards.

We do have a PnT opening tomorrow though!

I once had a $300 Blockbuster Gift Card.

I bought 4 * $50 giftcards when they had a similar promo, plus bought a $15 game.

The $200 in Giftcards netted me an extra $20 in promo giftcards, so I left the store with $305 in Gift cards and a game and pointed out to the cashier that the whole thing made no sense.

I then repeated that at other stores a LONG distance from my home bought/rebought about $2000 worth of giftcards.

I needed to buy a changing table and get a price adjust on a crib that I bought a few days earlier so I went up on my lunch break today. I was able to buy 2 GC's then rebuy them. I did it 5 times total and didnt want to hold on the line as it started to build up, so I left. While its perfectly allowable and acceptable ay my Kmart to buy a GC with a GC, I didnt want to do it to a point where someone got pissed. Maybe I'll do it a few more times when another shift is on and there are no people waiting in line.

I don't give a shit what the retards on slickdeals or fatwallet say, KMart will not allow this, guaranteed. That is why stores specifically document in the advertisements and on their disclaimers' lists that you cannot use giftcards to buy more giftcards.

Nice try for a loophole though. Post receipt pics or it never happened.

Jeeze, I can't believe the wannabe Donald Trumps, thinking they're going to build up a billion dollar empire on KMart credit, one $10 giftcard at a time.

"I'm going to be a K-Mart Credit Millionaire!" HAHAHA:applause:

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Here's a test for anybody with brass ones.

1. Print out the Walmart secret sale of a PS3 purchase earns a $50 gift card.

2. Buy 8 $50 gift cards. (to receive $80 in promo cards later.)

3. Buy a PS3 with the $400 in gift cards.

4. Demand another $50 gift card from customer service (ie. price matching).

5. Mail in for the $25 rebate on the PS3.

If you are successful, your net cost for the PS3 would be

$400 + sales tax - ($80 in promo gift cards + $50 gift card promo match + $25 MIR gift card) = $245 + sales tax.[/quote]

Why bother with all that? Let's see one of these virtual Robber Barons just buy the $50 initial gift card, then keep re-buying and building up enough credit via the $10 gift cards to get a PS3 technically for free (not considering the original $50 gift card purchase, which you would still have).

LEt's go with the 80 gig PS3, it's $500, right? Let's just call it $550 with tax. Just buy/use/rebuy/etc. 55 times, and there you go.

But why stop there, just do it n times for 10n in KMart credit, costing only your time, ethics, and the initial $50. Depending on how long this promo runs, you could do it day and night at a 24 hour KMart (if there is such a thing - but you would have to stock up on adult diapers beforehand!). Say each completed transaction takes 1 minute...in one hour you could have $600 in $10 gift cards if you didn't stack them as you built up. Even more if you do it in blocks of $50/stack it, because it would be increasing geometrically. I.e.:

1-5 = $10 each. At 5, you have another $50 GC. At 8 transactions you have $160, thus you can now do it 3 times at once. At 10 you have $220 and can do it 4 times at once, etc. I'm guessing that they do give you an individual $10 gift card each time you do this, so you could go on until they run out of gift cards to issue.

You could be a KMART BILLIONAIRE in a matter of hours, HAHAHAHA!!! Buy out the entire store in $10 gift cards. Hell, buy out the entire chain.

Now if you REALLY have brass balls, you'll walk into KMart corporate with a $50 and tell them you're buying them out, explain how, and tell them that you're just saving the time it would take to do it via the gift card buy/rebuy.

[quote name='karkyco']I don't give a shit what the retards on slickdeals or fatwallet say, KMart will not allow this, guaranteed. That is why stores specifically document in the advertisements and on their disclaimers' lists that you cannot use giftcards to buy more giftcards.

Nice try for a loophole though. Post receipt pics or it never happened.

Jeeze, I can't believe the wannabe Donald Trumps, thinking they're going to build up a billion dollar empire on KMart credit, one $10 giftcard at a time.

"I'm going to be a K-Mart Credit Millionaire!" HAHAHA:applause:[/quote]

If I scan the receipts, will you shut-up?

[quote name='Tirade']If I scan the receipts, will you shut-up?[/quote]

SCAN THEM IN AND MAKE HIM SHUT UP!!! YEAHHH!!! doo ittttttttttttttt!!!!!!!

...IF YA GOT THE STONES.....:cold:

[quote name='mikej012']How the hell was that scamming? It wasn't a loophole or anything. Kmart said to donate $10 and we'll give you a $20 giftcard. So doing exactly what the business offers is scamming now, or is there more to this story?[/QUOTE]

There was more to it. People at my local Kmart were geting greedy and trying to do it on multiple occasions (talking like 5-10 times). The pharmacy finally just said F it and stopped altogether!

Being a more honest person I just wanted to do it once to save ten bucks on a 30 game. But to each his own. Some feel more guilt than satisfaction from taking advantage of promotions because they "are still within the limit and following rules". To me that's BS, and a normal cheap ass would be satisfied with saving 10-20 bucks off something reasonable instead of trying to scam to make a 100% profit off donations or any other promo.

I do agree that it is these stores/companies faults for NOT setting limits, but everywhere you go now there are limits for this, one per household on that because of morons trying to screw the system!

And then when a sane person goes to get a deal you get that glare like "you're trying to scam us"! It's a bit disheartening.

Sorry for the rant.

[quote name='Zurich']Does Karkyco's mom work at kmart or something? why is he getting so worked up over this?[/quote]

Hey look, another slickdealer who just registered on CAG! :lol:

[quote name='lawdood']Hey look, another slickdealer who just registered on CAG! :lol:[/quote]

I've been here a few weeks, I registered on Slick Deals today?

[quote name='Eric78DX']There was more to it. People at my local Kmart were geting greedy and trying to do it on multiple occasions (talking like 5-10 times). The pharmacy finally just said F it and stopped altogether!

Being a more honest person I just wanted to do it once to save ten bucks on a 30 game. But to each his own. Some feel more guilt than satisfaction from taking advantage of promotions because they "are still within the limit and following rules". To me that's BS, and a normal cheap ass would be satisfied with saving 10-20 bucks off something reasonable instead of trying to scam to make a 100% profit off donations or any other promo.

I do agree that it is these stores/companies faults for NOT setting limits, but everywhere you go now there are limits for this, one per household on that because of morons trying to screw the system!

And then when a sane person goes to get a deal you get that glare like "you're trying to scam us"! It's a bit disheartening.

Sorry for the rant.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I was going to try this to get a $30 of a DS lite, but now it seems like I'm not going to be able to do it at all since a few people took a good thing and went to far w/ it.

Noticed that there are a few stores that stopped allowing buying a GC with a GC. Most people dont even care and they just buy a prepaid Amex card and use that to buy the GC's. This way youre buying a GC with an Amex card and vice versa.

[quote name='Eric78DX']For me a cheap ass gamer is someone who notices great deals and shares them with the rest of us or one who just reads the threads for cheap ass deals.

A scammer is someone who totally takes advantage of a great deal and ruins it for everyone else down the road...ie turning a $60 GC deal into a $120 ($70 "profit"). And we wonder why companies raise prices and or outsources US work overseas to cut costs, hire a majority of part time employees to save on paying insurance that would normally go to the full time positions, or why there are only two employees working in a big box store instead of ten to help the customers due to external shrink. THis is a major shame! I hope no one really does this.

THis reminds me of the one that people were scamming Kmart with the GC deal they had with donating money and getting gift cards.[/quote]
These companies would be outsourcing anyway. They would also be hiring poorly educated sales staffs part-time to save on insurance anyway. It's EXACTLY these practices that allow people to get away with buying gift cards with other gift cards, despite the fact that I am positive the fine print on the gift card excludes such practices.

If they hired better sales people (they'd need to pay them properly for it) or if they trained them properly (again, they'd have to pay the employees to care and stick around long enough to make this worth while) they would NOT have these problems.

People should not be scamming like this, if for no other reason than that it ruins the legitimate deals out there. But if you actually care about the corporate practices of these companies the correct solution is to not shop there, not whine about how they're being victimized by screwing over their workers (and the rest of us by extension).

But don't go around blaming the insane business practices of corporations on the symptoms of their own business practices. It's really rather disgusting that you even entertain such ideas. These folks have no clue how to run their businesses and if they did there'd be no one for these cheap ass scammers to screw over.

With that said, you cheap ass scammers need to stop being such cheap ass scammers. Take the free $10 gc, buy something with the $5 coupon, and be happy that you got a new PS3 or 360 game for less than you were paying for a new SNES cart in 1991. Geez!

Regarding the ethics of the deal:

If you can do it, going by the rules of the deal, then go a head. They could have stopped it easily.

I don't think the employees will let you though. Just because the service at Ktard is terrible.

[quote name='xl_prankster_lx']Regarding the ethics of the deal:

If you can do it, going by the rules of the deal, then go a head. They could have stopped it easily.

I don't think the employees will let you though. Just because the service at Ktard is terrible.[/quote]
Being ethical isnt as simple as legal vs illegal (trust me, we just sat through hours of ethics training at work). The rule of thumb however is if its illegal then 99% of the time its unethical.

While this deal is perfectly legal (and there is definately no fine print about buying a GC with a GC), it does create an ethical dilemma for some and a moral dilemma for others.

After confirming that the deal is legal, you then need to determine if you are in an ethical dilemma. Your next questions should be "Will my actions negatively affect anyone else?" The answer to that is not always black & white and thats why ethics training exists. Im sure a case can be made by both sides on whether this negatively affects Kmart or not. In this thread alone there is a whole lot of gray from the people who think its only unethical if you do it more than 3-5 times, but not if you do it less than that.

If you feel that taking advantage of something that would benefit you just because its legal to do so and even if you feel no one would get hurt, there is still the possible moral dilemma. You have to ask yourself "Is it ok for me to do this? While its legally and ethically ok, I suspect its a loophole in the system". Once again, not always black & white and something each person will have to decide for themselves. Even things that are ethical arent always moral, but its rarely the other way around.

Of course if you know its legal and feel its ethically and morally "ok" then more power to you.

It is definitely things like these that makes chains put on tougher rules. Don't be complaining when K-mart stops offering these promo in the future.

bread's done
Back