Official Representative
I am very easy to reach on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/KmartGamer

Kmartgamer 1.0 = 10,508 replies/663,642 views
Kmartgamer 2.0 = 9,828 replies/538,327 views
Kmartgamer 3.0 = 7,215 replies/549,496 views
Kmartgamer 4.0 = 7,436 replies/503,006 views
Kmartgamer 5.0 = 7,344 replies/517,314 views

www.KmartGamer.com (Blog is effective in all locations)

To receive gaming coupons you must be a Shop Your Way Rewards member. It's free and only takes a couple of minutes to sign up in store.

September 18th through the 24th:
link to blog post

:360: Buy any version of Gears of War 3, get a $20 gaming coupon.
Deal will work with Limited and Epic Editions.
Coupon valid from September 25 to November 5.

:360::ps3: Shadows of the Damned $29.99

Kmart Weekly Ad: (Circulars not effective in all stores, NYC and Offshore in particular - Savings coupon offers effective everywhere)

September 18th through the 24th:

:360: Buy the limited edition Gears of War 320GB Xbox 360 system for $399.99, get Gears of War Triple Pack for free.

:360: Buy any version of Gears of War 3 and a 12-month Xbox Live Gold subscription card, get $30 off the price of the 12-month Gold card.
Deal will work with Limited and Epic Editions.

:360: Turtle Beach Ear Force X12 headset $44.99

:360: Halo ODST $9.99

:360::ps3: Brink $19.99

:360: Halo Reach $29.99

Shop Your Way Rewards:

It's a wiki, please update. This portion of the OP is for anyone who notices a SYWR offer. These offers can be very targeted (Geo, User, etc.) so anything placed needs to be validated.

Coming Soon:

All titles listed below I am working on offers for and the dates I think they are coming out.

9-20 :360: Gears of War 3 $20 Gaming coupon + Buy game & 12-month Gold card, get $30 off 12-month Gold card.
9-27 :360::ps3: X-Men Destiny $15 Gaming coupon
9-27 :360::ps3: FIFA Soccer 12 $20 Gaming coupon
9-27 :ps3: Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection $15 Gaming coupon
10-4 :360::ps3: Spiderman: Edge of Time
10-4 :360::ps3: Rage
10-4 :360::ps3: Dark Souls
10-4 :360::ps3: NBA 2k12
10-11 :360::ps3: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record
10-11 :360: Forza 4
10-11 :360::ps3: Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
10-11 :wii::360::ps3: Just Dance 3
10-11 :360::ps3: RockSmith
10-16 :wii::360: Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
10-17 :ds: Professor Layton and the Last Specter
10-18 :ps3: Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One
10-18 :360::ps3: Batman Arkham City
10-24 :3ds: Pokemon Rumble Blast
10-25 :wii::360::ps3: Disney Universe
10-25 :360::ps3: Battlefield 3
10-25 :360::ps3: Silent Hill Downpour
10-25 :360: Dance Central 2
10-25 :360: Kinect Sports 2
11-1 :360::ps3: James Bond: Goldeneye 007 Reloaded
11-1 :360::ps3: Sonic Generations
11-1 :ps3: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
11-1 :360::ps3: Lord of the Rings: War in the North
11-8 :360::ps3: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
11-8 :360::ps3: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
11-11 :360::ps3: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
11-13 :3ds: Super Mario 3D Land
11-15 :360::ps3: Need for Speed: The Run
11-15 :ps3: Silent Hill HD Collection
11-15 :360: Halo Anniversary
11-15 :wii: Mario and Sonic London 2012
11-15 :3ds: Shinobi
11-15 :360::ps3: Saint's Row: The Third
11-15 :360::ps3: Assassin's Creed: Revelations
11-15 :360::ps3: Rayman Origins
11-20 :wii: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
11-22 :ps3: Tekken Hybrid
11-22 :360::ps3: WWE 12
12-11 :3ds: Mario Kart 7
2012 TBA :3ds: Kid Icarus

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jer7583']Jim Sterling - Destructoid
I used to hate this guy but after following him on twitter for a while I think he's alright.[/QUOTE]
I just can't take him seriously, since he doesn't seem to take himself or his reviews seriously. He gave a 1 to Vanquish if I recall correctly, and seems to regularly write reviews and articles for no other purpose than to troll people and get pageviews. I can't respect that. He comes off as a "journalist," not a journalist, and ultimately makes it harder for the already barely-legitimate enterprise of gaming journalism to be held in anything but contempt by outside press.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Justin McElroy is probably one of the shittiest reviewers at Joystiq though.[/QUOTE]

really??
I have always really enjoyed justin's writing style and his humor on both my brother my brother and me and the joystiq podcast. I don't always agree with his opinions but I always appreciate his writing and input.

I really can't understand how anyone could dislike Mr. McElroy.

As for Mr. Sterling I think he's just a very extroverted individual. He has no reservations about saying what he thinks. He's not writing reviews trying to figure out what you will think about the game, he's telling you his experience. I like those types of reviews a lot better than the bland IGN, Gamespot, and GameTrailers stuff.

And AverageJoe - you need to drop the idea that it is related at all to "journalism". It is not. Enthusiast press is more like it. Game writers have a totally legitmate (if limited in number/participation) enterprise if you have the talent and influence.

Holding them up to some kind of standard set for newspapers and people who expose political corruption and such is silly. They don't hold themselves to those standards and you shouldn't either. They write about entertainment products. Part of their job should be to entertain.

Nobody can truly write a review that will tell every single person who reads it what to think or what they should spend their money on. All they can do is give their experience with the game. Maybe that pushes you away from the game, maybe it stirs up something that gets you excited. That's what game reviews should be about.

If Justin writes a review for an apple pie, and loves apples, and says, fuck, this apple pie was incredible! i loved this pie!
And then Jim writes a review for the apple pie and hates apples, and says, fuck this apple pie. It was awful, and i did not like it!

What do the readers who know they love apples take away from each review? what do the readers who hate apples take away from each review? Get the picture?

as for kmart I think best buy has lured me away for a few titles this year at least. It's by accident though. that PS2 sports game flip from gamestop was just too good to pass up. I'm sure Kmart doesn't want anything to do with paying $1.50 each for 2001-2005 sports titles disc only on PS2 ;)

[quote name='jer7583']really??
I have always really enjoyed justin's writing style and his humor on both my brother my brother and me and the joystiq podcast. I don't always agree with his opinions but I always appreciate his writing and input.

I really can't understand how anyone could dislike Mr. McElroy.

Holding them up to some kind of standard set for newspapers and people who expose political corruption and such is silly. They don't hold themselves to those standards and you shouldn't either. They write about entertainment products. Part of their job should be to entertain.

[/QUOTE]

Justin's writing style is terrible and his posts on Joystiq (with the rest of the crew) are extremely poor attempts at humor that I just can't see how anyone on the planet could consider funny. The entire site puts more effort into completely shitty jokes that take up 85% of the news story or article than actually doing reporting and telling people what they need to know.

Game writers SHOULD be held to the same standard as other news reporters. To say they shouldn't is ridiculous. This is why no one takes video games seriously.

As for Dead Island, I'm not really sure how a game that has "broken" parts could get a 7/10. Sterling's review constantly mentions how the game is broken, unfinished, and frustrating, yet gives it a good review score. This is why I can't take any game reviewers seriously because they all seem to be in the pockets of the publishers. A broken game should not be getting anywhere near those scores.

Didn't "McElroy" say Nier was shit because he couldnt do the fishing properly? Lol @ anyone remotely giving that dude interest.

Dead Island day 1

[quote name='Blackout']Justin's writing style is terrible and his posts on Joystiq (with the rest of the crew) are extremely poor attempts at humor that I just can't see how anyone on the planet could consider funny. The entire site puts more effort into completely shitty jokes that take up 85% of the news story or article than actually doing reporting and telling people what they need to know.

Game writers SHOULD be held to the same standard as other news reporters. To say they shouldn't is ridiculous. This is why no one takes video games seriously.

As for Dead Island, I'm not really sure how a game that has "broken" parts could get a 7/10. Sterling's review constantly mentions how the game is broken, unfinished, and frustrating, yet gives it a good review score. This is why I can't take any game reviewers seriously because they all seem to be in the pockets of the publishers. A broken game should not be getting anywhere near those scores.[/QUOTE]

okay...

I guess that's just like, your opinion on joystiq and justin but I don't see those as being problems. Maybe they should just copy and paste press releases and stop with all the damned writing going on there?

Game writers should not be held to those standards unless that site professes to hold itself to those standards. You're taking it too seriously, dude. Joystiq, or kotaku, or 1up, or eurogamer, or any of these sites aren't looking to be news reporters and neither are their readers.

In fact, if you took a moment to read joystiq's own "about us" page, you'd understand what you're in for, instead of complaining about what they don't claim to be.
http://www.joystiq.com/about/
Welcome to Joystiq, the definitive source for news and information on the video game industry. Here's what you'll be pointing your eyeballs at: video game news and commentary, the latest game videos and screenshots, reviews and previews, all presented with as much excitement, enthusiasm, insight and fun as the laws of physics allow. But don't think that lighthearted jabs and an irreverent tone signals the end of serious business: Joystiq strives to maintain accuracy, to dig deeper, to do away with meaningless PR prattle, to gracefully decline luxury popcorn machines (like in the movie theater!), and to ask the awkward questions, all for you.

Now if you feel there is a lack of deadpan gaming journalism that needs standards and citations and zero opinions, then please, go create that site. Fill that niche. But these guys your complaining about aren't looking to make the site you believe they should be.

As for Dead Island have you never found yourself really loving a game that had broken elements? It's not that weird to think that he liked the game enough to rate it above average, because there were some frustrating parts, but the fundamentals and experience of the game was good enough to him.

I think that especially calling that "bias" and "in the pockets of the publishers" especially coming from a guy who probably hands out more 1-3 out of 10 reviews per year than ANYONE in the business is pretty ignorant. If you're going to make accusations like that you'd better be doing your research first.

[quote name='nnthomas']Didn't "McElroy" say Nier was shit because he couldnt do the fishing properly? Lol @ anyone remotely giving that dude interest.

Dead Island day 1[/QUOTE]

I guess all these damned writers should just stop giving their opinions and just do their jobs, right?

[quote name='jer7583']I guess all these damned writers should just stop giving their opinions and just do their jobs, right?[/QUOTE]

Or get real jobs.

[quote name='nnthomas']Or get real jobs.[/QUOTE]

No point in discussing this with someone so far off base and clearly just looking for a reaction on a subject he knows nothing and cares nothing about.

Anyways: Josh did you plan on hitting space marine with a discount in a few weeks? I know your coupon is lower than you wanted.

Should you just look at the previews and you decide what you think of it, instead of what some asshat "reviewer" thinks of it.

[quote name='jer7583']okay...

I guess that's just like, your opinion on joystiq and justin but I don't see those as being problems. Maybe they should just copy and paste press releases and stop with all the damned writing going on there?

Game writers should not be held to those standards unless that site professes to hold itself to those standards. You're taking it too seriously, dude. Joystiq, or kotaku, or 1up, or eurogamer, or any of these sites aren't looking to be news reporters and neither are their readers.

In fact, if you took a moment to read joystiq's own "about us" page, you'd understand what you're in for, instead of complaining about what they don't claim to be.
http://www.joystiq.com/about/

Now if you feel there is a lack of deadpan gaming journalism that needs standards and citations and zero opinions, then please, go create that site. Fill that niche. But these guys your complaining about aren't looking to make the site you believe they should be.

As for Dead Island have you never found yourself really loving a game that had broken elements? It's not that weird to think that he liked the game enough to rate it above average, because there were some frustrating parts, but the fundamentals and experience of the game was good enough to him.

I think that especially calling that "bias" and "in the pockets of the publishers" especially coming from a guy who probably hands out more 1-3 out of 10 reviews per year than ANYONE in the business is pretty ignorant. If you're going to make accusations like that you'd better be doing your research first.
[/QUOTE]

I don't want to derail the thread any further but games won't be taken seriously when most of the people writing about them suck balls at their job and are more concerned with getting themselves over and getting cheap page views than doing good reporting and stories. As for Joystiq's "about us," they completely fail on the bolded part you highlighted as well as their "serious" goals, because they really never do that stuff.

It's also pretty obvious when major sites like IGN give games they are being paid to promote and advertise a higher review score than other sites or things like that, when lesser known games with no promotion get absolutely shit on in the site's reviews. Also, the "Oh, the game is broken, but if you can look past that it's fun!" is the lamest shit I have ever heard and is why I can't take reviews seriously. It just screams of, "Hey publisher, keep on sending us free games!"

[quote name='Lyricsborn']Should you just look at the previews and you decide what you think of it, instead of what some asshat "reviewer" thinks of it.[/QUOTE]
Reviews might give you insight to a game that previews can't, and vice versa.

[quote name='Blackout']Justin's writing style is terrible and his posts on Joystiq (with the rest of the crew) are extremely poor attempts at humor that I just can't see how anyone on the planet could consider funny. The entire site puts more effort into completely shitty jokes that take up 85% of the news story or article than actually doing reporting and telling people what they need to know.[/QUOTE]

Yep. It's what I call "gamer humor."

[quote name='nnthomas']Didn't "McElroy" say Nier was shit because he couldnt do the fishing properly? Lol @ anyone remotely giving that dude interest.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. He couldn't figure out that the big red X on the map is where you're supposed to go and then gave Nier a 0/5 stars because of that. Almost every Joystiq review gets shitted on in the comments, it's pretty funny.

Dead Island is sounding more and more like a game that I'll enjoy playing in small spurts at a time, while Resistance 3 will be something I'll want to finish from beginning to end once I start playing.

[quote name='sadboy']Dead Island is sounding more and more like a game that I'll enjoy playing in small spurts at a time, while Resistance 3 will be something I'll want to finish from beginning to end once I start playing.[/QUOTE]

R3 to me looks just like R2. I always felt that the series felt generic.

If I bought 2 copies of Dead Island so I can get one for a friend, would I have to do 2 transactions to get 2 coupons? I see in the FAQ that it says the limit is 2 per customer but I'm not sure if both coupons would print together or if I'd have to buy separately. Thanks

[quote name='spree4567']If I bought 2 copies of Dead Island so I can get one for a friend, would I have to do 2 transactions to get 2 coupons? I see in the FAQ that it says the limit is 2 per customer but I'm not sure if both coupons would print together or if I'd have to buy separately. Thanks[/QUOTE]To be safe, you should do 2 separate transactions, using your SYWR card for both, and the coupons should print out. I'm pretty sure the "limit 2 per customer" is linked to your SYWR card, though I could be wrong.

[quote name='Lyricsborn']R3 to me looks just like R2. I always felt that the series felt generic.[/QUOTE]

?

Name another game like it.

[quote name='Blackout']I don't want to derail the thread any further but games won't be taken seriously when most of the people writing about them suck balls at their job and are more concerned with getting themselves over and getting cheap page views than doing good reporting and stories. As for Joystiq's "about us," they completely fail on the bolded part you highlighted as well as their "serious" goals, because they really never do that stuff.

It's also pretty obvious when major sites like IGN give games they are being paid to promote and advertise a higher review score than other sites or things like that, when lesser known games with no promotion get absolutely shit on in the site's reviews. Also, the "Oh, the game is broken, but if you can look past that it's fun!" is the lamest shit I have ever heard and is why I can't take reviews seriously. It just screams of, "Hey publisher, keep on sending us free games!"[/QUOTE]

it's a review. its opinion. imo, a game can be broken but fun. i can completely hate the way a game plays and still have fun playing it. just because parts of a game can be broken doesnt mean u cant have fun. and if ur takin this shit so seriously, stop reading them.

[quote name='FINALBOSS']?

Name another game like it.[/QUOTE]

either he meant ordinary, or he means like... earth is attacked, ppl fight back? honestly dunno wat he meant by that tbh lol

josh, any plans on a sale of DI? i'd love to get in on it now but not sure if i'd have the money this week =/

[quote name='Blackout']

As for Dead Island, I'm not really sure how a game that has "broken" parts could get a 7/10.

PARTS SNIPPED[/QUOTE]

as to your first paragraph, I totally agree. Reviewers need to be held to standards. it's bad enough the majority of review sites are already in the pockets of the publishers, but that's something to criticize and try to change, not accept.

For Dead Island, having read several reviews -- it seems like it's an amazing game marred by technical difficulties. Multiple reviewers found it incredibly immersive, more so than most games. They took points off because they had to (pop-in, some clumsy mechanics, etc) but overall loved it despite it's flaws. I'm actually okay with 7-8s for that, assuming they're accurately reviewing it.

On the other hand, I found Fallout 3 unplayably glitchy. I have New Vegas but have yet to even try it for the same reason. People seem to love 3 despite it's glitches, though.

[quote name='affa']as to your first paragraph, I totally agree. Reviewers need to be held to standards. it's bad enough the majority of review sites are already in the pockets of the publishers, but that's something to criticize and try to change, not accept.[/QUOTE]

This. Back when I wrote for JPS... I was always shocked/sadden not by what was said, but how much was accepted. I had my Neptunia review torn APART because I didn't like the references and mixed up Neptunia and Neptune once.
You go and read the sites Marvel vs Capcom 3 review and the owner claims that button mashing wont work. He also makes this seem like this is the first time any fighting game has ever done this. In light of that comment; no one had anything bad to say about it.
You would be surprised how little some sites have in terms of ethics and how little the consumer cares. The same MvC 3 reviewer also claimed that Killzone 3 had the best story of the series, GT 5 should be more like Burnout (or was it need for speed... he did get bitched at over that though :3), DC online was broken because he couldn't sign in on day 1, and this is just what I remember after quitting 6 months ago.

Though like a lot of things... they won't change. On topic... anyone feel "off" with a friday release, for a Nintendo game?

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I like the review of Dead Island I saw at IGN. Should all K-Marts have copies?[/QUOTE]
It's being published by Square Enix with a coupon so I would assume so.

Busy week this week at kmart. The three games plus starfox. Good stuff. Are the games there already or they will be delivered tomorrow?

Just trying to coordinate my action plan. On another note cheapy D sold me on driver. He was hating the demo on the podcast but totally loving the game. I always like driver.

Just a quick headsup for anybody looking for The 3rd Birthday at Kmart.
Check the bargain bin. You know, the one that has a special price sticker on it and a sticker over the UPC. Usually up front or just outside of electronics.
I didn't see any copies of the game in my store's electronics department, but there were two copies up in the bargain bin and both had generic UPC stickers over the normal bar code. So if you find it IN electronics, it might ring up at $19.99. If you find it up in the bargain bin, it should ring up at $9.99. Saw the same thing with Rhythm Heaven a while back where in electronics it was $19.99, but in the bargain bin it was priced at $14.99.
Also saw Final Fantasy II for PSP in there as well also at $9.99.

Knowing is half the battle!

I am pretty undecided on Dead Island, Im hearing good things and the last game I bought on a straight whim was Red Dead Redemption so I may just try it tomorrow. Very unsure where to pick it up though.....

The $20 coupon sounds nice but Ive got credit at best buy and Amazon,hmmmm....already go gears though Amazon. ITS SOO DIFFICULT

[quote name='dansoccerball']Who's got a $5 off $50 coupon for me ?! :)[/QUOTE]

I thought it expired on Aug 31. Is there a new one???? Please let me know :)

[quote name='thanossurfer']Hello,

The $5 off $50 expired on August 31, 2011 unless, of course, there is a new one for September. :D[/QUOTE]

Looks at the date... your right LOL

Spent 30 minutes arguing with the employees at a Kmart that the 2012 version of games are the "2011 EA sports games" for the 5 dollar off coupon. Wanted to kill myself. I thought about just throwing the coupon before going into the store because I knew that would happen.

[quote name='Lyricsborn']What I meant was there was nothing that really made it memorable.[/QUOTE]
It might be a little more fresh for me, because I haven't played the first two games.
[quote name='DerClaw']Spent 30 minutes arguing with the employees at a Kmart that the 2012 version of games are the "2011 EA sports games" for the 5 dollar off coupon. Wanted to kill myself. I thought about just throwing the coupon before going into the store because I knew that would happen.[/QUOTE]
Five dollars, man. (plays Bob Marley's Three Little Birds for you)

Got a quick question for the Kmart crew here. Now that Nintendo are publishing the "Nintendo selects" at $20 MSRP, what are the Kmart stores doing with the regular edition stock? Will they be put in with the $20 and under bin?

In particular I'm looking for an original print Super Paper Mario.

[quote name='warmsignal']In particular I'm looking for an original print Super Paper Mario.[/QUOTE]Good luck with that. Super Paper Mario has been sold out at most places for over a year.

[quote name='sadboy']Five dollars, man. (plays Bob Marley's Three Little Birds for you)[/QUOTE]

He values his time at $10 an hour, slightly above minimum wage.

FYI, Deus Ex (360/PS3) will be $34.99 at TRU 9/11-9/17. Patience people....here's a good one for you guys-
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302866

Rule #3-

3. Patience? Concerning price and full retail value, game prices fluctuate quite often and quite quickly. Even a little as a week after a game?s release the price can drop so learn to determine which games have potential for sales shortly after their release. ALSO note that while paying full retail isn?t suggested, waiting for particular sales or saving enough flipped credit to purchase one is all part of the strategy. Example ? Game A comes out, next week a store hosts a Buy 1 get one 50% off sale.

Just letting you guys know in case your planning on buying it this week.

[quote name='lude21']FYI, Deus Ex (360/PS3) will be $34.99 at TRU 9/11-9/17. Patience people....here's a good one for you guys-
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302866

Rule #3-

3. Patience? Concerning price and full retail value, game prices fluctuate quite often and quite quickly. Even a little as a week after a game?s release the price can drop so learn to determine which games have potential for sales shortly after their release. ALSO note that while paying full retail isn?t suggested, waiting for particular sales or saving enough flipped credit to purchase one is all part of the strategy. Example ? Game A comes out, next week a store hosts a Buy 1 get one 50% off sale.

Just letting you guys know in case your planning on buying it this week.[/QUOTE]

Glad to see that long ass guide I typed up is being quoted. Makes me proud! and yes, this is a prime example

Just got back from K-Mart with Resistance 3. The $20 coupon printed out with no hitch whatsoever. It looks it's going to be another holiday coupon train again this year for me.

Also Josh/SHC-Gamer, since TRU is going to gave Deus Ex for $34.99 next week in-store, is there any chance K-Mart will have it for that price in the next month? I ask because in previous situations, you have pricematched on a video game with a lower price the following week or 2. Thanks!

the resistance reviews have been really good. sounds like they finally turned this franchise into something better than average. Might have to check that one out sometime.

I'm still scared about the coupons requiring SYWR accounts. I've had nothing but trouble with my account since I got it, but we shall see. I still never got a card despite repeatedly asking for one and when I tried to use my points before it was like I was explaining how the whole universe works to the cashier.

[quote name='jer7583']the resistance reviews have been really good. sounds like they finally turned this franchise into something better than average. Might have to check that one out sometime.[/QUOTE]

I was always surprised by how much attention the resistance franchise received. Its never been anything more then an over hyped average FPS. I'm glad it's looking like they've finally been able to give fans the game they've been wanting.

[quote name='JKSonic']I'm still scared about the coupons requiring SYWR accounts. I've had nothing but trouble with my account since I got it, but we shall see. I still never got a card despite repeatedly asking for one and when I tried to use my points before it was like I was explaining how the whole universe works to the cashier.[/QUOTE]

I wish I would have asked for a card when I first signed up. I went card less and it's been ok but things like try to check my points balance was next to impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back