L.A. Noire (Dev: Team Bondi, PUB: R* Games) - OUT NOW!

[quote name='SynGamer']OK, this is pissing me off. Team Bondi made L.A. Noire. Rockstar provided help to them as an external studio, but Rockstar did NOT make this game, they are merely the publisher. /rant[/QUOTE]
Normally I would be right there with you, but Rockstar is not THQ. Clearly Rockstar has a great pedigree as a dev and had a helping hand here. I cant wait to play.

[quote name='SynGamer']OK, this is pissing me off. Team Bondi made L.A. Noire. Rockstar provided help to them as an external studio, but Rockstar did NOT make this game, they are merely the publisher. /rant[/QUOTE]

heh look at the mini map. its exact copy of GTA map. :)

I'm not sure how much rockstar was really involved.. possibly just lent them their tools from their previous games to apply it to noire. And to help implement those features into it.
dunno.

Would be interesting to know the details though.

Picked up my copy from GameStop. I'm wondering what the envelope of polaroids is for since it is only labeled with "BADGE PURSUIT CHALLENGE" on the front, so maybe it's for the GameStop-exclusive DLC that we can't play yet?

Also, don't click on the PlayStation Store button on the main menu. It might freeze because it doesn't know how to cope with the store being down. :lol:

So...trying to determine if the witnesses are lying, doubtful, or telling the truth is quite frustrating. So far I'm not being sucked in AT ALL. And sadly, like most R* games, the controls are clunky. Clearly Team Bondi let R* have too much of a say. Very tempted to trade this in next week at GS for the 50% bonus. Unless a CAG is interested in it...

[quote name='SynGamer']So...trying to determine if the witnesses are lying, doubtful, or telling the truth is quite frustrating. So far I'm not being sucked in AT ALL. And sadly, like most R* games, the controls are clunky. Clearly Team Bondi let R* have too much of a say. Very tempted to trade this in next week at GS for the 50% bonus. Unless a CAG is interested in it...[/QUOTE]

whoa, don't say all this man! I still haven't played my copy..I was really under the impression it was perfection..g-r-e-a-t..

I mean, to each their own. You might love it, but me, it's just not "wow"-ing me. The game holds your hand when you look for evidence, yet when it comes to the witnesses, it's a toss up if they are lying/doubtful or truth/doubtful. But pick the wrong one and it's incorrect and the mission can't be perfected without restarting.

What irritates me most of all is when I'm trying to chase down a baddie, they somehow are able to keep pace ahead of me...even though I'm an ex-marine in seemingly fit physical shape. There's no reason I can't 1.) run faster than these guys, or 2.) cap them in the foot to stop them.

And considering many of the missions involve running...I'll pass. Very disappointing. If any CAG wants this, make an offer. It includes the PS3 exclusive case and the Naked City as well. I haven't use either code. Or the Piano Gun weapon code either for that matter.

[quote name='SynGamer']So...trying to determine if the witnesses are lying, doubtful, or telling the truth is quite frustrating. So far I'm not being sucked in AT ALL. And sadly, like most R* games, the controls are clunky. Clearly Team Bondi let R* have too much of a say. Very tempted to trade this in next week at GS for the 50% bonus. Unless a CAG is interested in it...[/QUOTE]

Wait wait wait.....what 50% bonus? The only one I've heard of is the coupon for 50% towards LA Noire....and I doubt thats what you're talking about.

Maybe it just takes a little while to get into it.

I know when I got RDR I wasn't impressed at all for the first few hours.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Wait wait wait.....what 50% bonus? The only one I've heard of is the coupon for 50% towards LA Noire....and I doubt thats what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

They gave me a coupon for 40% bonus on trade-in's start May 23rd-29th. PUR get an extra 10% making it 50% total :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by a moderator:
Half doing an interview comes down to evidence and the other half comes down to reading faces. If you dont have evidence to connect them to a lie you have to go with truth or doubt. If you see any signs of lying in their face and you dont have any evidence go with doubt. Easy face things to pick up on are avoiding eye contact, twitching, and change of color in face. Hope that helps you.

I would say its a fun game, its really interesting to try and figure out a case in the middle of it and very rewarding to yourself if you pieced it all together the first time.

I'm enjoying this game so far. The crime scene investiagtions and interviews are easily the most enjoyable parts but I will say that sometimes it seams that the interviews aren't fair. Such as, how do I know if I need to press "doubt" as opposed to "lie". Also, I have caught people either lying or misleading me and though I correctly said lie/doubt yet it said I was wrong. I don't konw still need some more play time with the questiongin I suppose.

I'm with SynGamer - so far, I'm totally not into it. I'm about halfway through the 2nd chapter.

It's the clunky controls of a rockstar game, and the gameplay of Phoenix Wright.

Also - i'm not enjoying the animation as much as I was expecting. The technology leads to everyone over acting with their faces. They all have Batman neck and their eyes never really seem to lock onto what they are looking at.

Also- the scale and texture of a lot of characters heads seems strange next to the bodies.

Stupid thing that happened near the end of chapter 1:
I was chasing a perp- and the game told me what I needed to do to run- ok, I'm running. Then it tells me how to run and shoot my gun. So I did it, and then I lost the mission because I killed the guy.. lame.

[quote name='nbballard']I'm with SynGamer - so far, I'm totally not into it. I'm about halfway through the 2nd chapter.

It's the clunky controls of a rockstar game, and the gameplay of Phoenix Wright.

Also - i'm not enjoying the animation as much as I was expecting. The technology leads to everyone over acting with their faces. They all have Batman neck and their eyes never really seem to lock onto what they are looking at.

Also- the scale and texture of a lot of characters heads seems strange next to the bodies.

I was chasing a perp- and the game told me what I needed to do to run- ok, I'm running. Then it tells me how to run and shoot my gun. So I did it, and then I lost the mission because I killed the guy.. lame.
[/QUOTE]

Clunky controls is what has turned me off to just about every Rockstar game to date. Sadly, it appears Team Bondi let R* influence their controls a bit too much. Hated GTA IV, RDR/UN, and now L.A. Noire. And I agree with the animations; the voice acting and lip-syncing is amazing, but the actual animations on the characters and eyes looks horrible...

[quote name='nbballard']
[/QUOTE]

I did the exact same thing :lol:

[quote name='whoknows']I did the exact same thing :lol:[/QUOTE]
yep and me too really stupid on their part for even putting it in game... I mean really it tells us how to shoot..

I even shot him in the foot and he died. Oh well.

What I'm wondering is if it's possible to
Not kill people that are holding people hostage. Like at the end of the hit and run case...is it possible to not kill him?

[quote name='whoknows']I did the exact same thing :lol:[/QUOTE]
Fire a warning shot officer.

[quote name='whoknows']I even shot him in the foot and he died. Oh well.

What I'm wondering is if it's possible to
Not kill people that are holding people hostage. Like at the end of the hit and run case...is it possible to not kill him?
[/QUOTE]

to be honest i dont think it is....i tried that part about 5 times in a row and
every time the little warning shot meter gets close to being full he either shoots you or just happens to get out of sight which makes the timer reset

im really enjoying this game a lot though, with the above hit and run case the first time i played through i had a 3 star rating and in theory arrested....
not the wrong guy but the lesser of the the two crimes. ended up letting the murders go free because i was to focused on the guy in the car.
but the second time i played through got a 5 star and it felt way more satisfying calling peoples bluffs and hittin em with some evidence.

i kind of figured out how to kind of read people.....anytime they just look at you with very minimal eye movement...its truth......anytime they start looking around its either a lie or a doubt. once you know there lying or you doubt them it all comes down to your evidence. if you dont have evidence for proof that there lying just doubt em.

side note had anyone tried linking there psn account to the social club? i tried, through the game and its saying my email and password is invalid. im guessing its because psn isnt 100% still? on the social club website im logged in no problem.

[quote name='sublime90']side note had anyone tried linking there psn account to the social club? i tried, through the game and its saying my email and password is invalid. im guessing its because psn isnt 100% still? on the social club website im logged in no problem.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I assumed the same. Little store button on the main menu still crashing - figure it's got to be PSN wonkiness. Maybe we'll get a patch in the meantime.

[quote name='fuze9']Same here. I assumed the same. Little store button on the main menu still crashing - figure it's got to be PSN wonkiness. Maybe we'll get a patch in the meantime.[/QUOTE]
I had that problem yesterday. Eventually while browsing the site it showed my account was linked. So I don't know what the deal is.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='fuze9']Same here. I assumed the same. Little store button on the main menu still crashing - figure it's got to be PSN wonkiness. Maybe we'll get a patch in the meantime.[/QUOTE]

I don't have the game anymore but I linked my account. I had an account previously so I just logged in...perhaps account creation isn't working?

[quote name='SynGamer']Clunky controls is what has turned me off to just about every Rockstar game to date. Sadly, it appears Team Bondi let R* influence their controls a bit too much. Hated GTA IV, RDR/UN, and now L.A. Noire. And I agree with the animations; the voice acting and lip-syncing is amazing, but the actual animations on the characters and eyes looks horrible...[/QUOTE]
It sounds like you had unrealistic expectations my friend. I could tell from the begining that the controls were "GTA inspired".

I cant wait to actually get into playing this game tonight. Last night I had to watch the hockey and baseball games, but tonight it will be all about LA Noire.

[quote name='wrencrest']It sounds like you had unrealistic expectations my friend. I could tell from the begining that the controls were "GTA inspired".

I cant wait to actually get into playing this game tonight. Last night I had to watch the hockey and baseball games, but tonight it will be all about LA Noire.[/QUOTE]

Very true. I guess I had hoped that R* wouldn't have a huge influence over the game, but more of a technical aid. Either way, I just shipped the game out to a fellow CAG this morning. Looking forward to Alice: Madness Returns and a few others coming out in June.

Well I like that it is so similar to other rockstar games. Makes it a bit easier to get into it. Very pick up and play friendlyfor me.

how do you know how many stars you get after a case?

and am I failing cases?... after cases 9 and 10, the captain was pissed off both times. Is this apart of the story or am I doing bad?

[quote name='Capocci 007']how do you know how many stars you get after a case?

and am I failing cases?... after cases 9 and 10, the captain was pissed off both times. Is this apart of the story or am I doing bad?[/QUOTE]
You should be given a breakdown of how well you did on a given case showing how many clues you found, questions you got and at the top right you will see a stamp that will have a certain number of stars for how well you did along with a ranking such as "Admirable" or something.

Anyone experienced any of the "over heating" or game issues described by many game sites? Now said to happen on 360 and PS3. I seem to recall every Rockstar game being accompanied by these stories. Never had an issue myself.

[quote name='Saint Noir']Anyone experienced any of the "over heating" or game issues described by many game sites? Now said to happen on 360 and PS3. I seem to recall every Rockstar game being accompanied by these stories. Never had an issue myself.[/QUOTE]

Not so far. But my PS3 did seem to be loading from the disc a bunch, even when I was just wandering around the station. I had flashbacks to GTAIV burning up my PS3 when I was hearing that.

Anyone else try playing in Black and White? It should be under display (I think) under options. It really added to the enjoyment for me. Made if feel like I was walking around in an 1960's movie. It really shines during the interviews and some of the chase scenes.

I turned it off after a long session looking for clues in an apartment and was really amazed at how different the game looked with color. It was almost as if I walked into a different location. Color made the clues a lot more obivous, so if you want a challenge maybe give B&W a go.

I would suggest turning it off for car chases because it is hard to figure out which car is which when they are all black/white/gray! :)

[quote name='Capocci 007']how do you know how many stars you get after a case?

and am I failing cases?... after cases 9 and 10, the captain was pissed off both times. Is this apart of the story or am I doing bad?[/QUOTE]

In my experience, the boss got pissed if I interrogated a suspect, but then didn't charge him right away, and instead interrogated another suspect, before going back and making the correct charge. I nailed all the interview questions, found all the evidence, but since I didn't make the charge right away, I got 2 stars for the case.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']By the way I played a little more last night and am finally really nailing the interviews. Really enjoying the game now.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I enjoyed the game from the start, but was getting pretty frustrated by how badly I was doing in the interrogations. Now that I know what to look for, and know the mechanics of it a bit better, I usually miss only 1 or 2 per case of 16 or so questions. On the 11th or 12th case now, and I'm enjoying the game a ton.

On a side note, its slow pace and use of cut scenes allows for plenty of beer sipping time.

I really enjoy the game however I do usually quit out if I miss a Q. I really had my doubts but in the end it is A lot better than I thought (was thinking it would just be interrogation) it has a really good mix of everything I especially like the on foot chaces. Also love to shoot people in the crotch and then it looks like people are peeing their pants.

Got the game at BB. Came with the preorder bonus and the $10 gift card. I used the card to get the guide. I can't see myself playing this game without it.

Quick question, when do I get to just drive around and explore?

I like how at the end of the case, it gives you notes on what you could have done to change things a little. I didn't think that time mattered, but it seems taking the time to do a side mission kept me from interrupting a burglary.

I finished the Fallen Idol case last night and I'm starting to come around a little bit. I think my main complaints with the game stem from the fact that the previews made it sound like they had revolutionized video games with the interrogation, when really, it's exactly like Ace Attorney.

bread's done
Back