L.A. Noire (Dev: Team Bondi, PUB: R* Games) - OUT NOW!

[quote name='nbballard']I finished the Fallen Idol case last night and I'm starting to come around a little bit. I think my main complaints with the game stem from the fact that the previews made it sound like they had revolutionized video games with the interrogation, when really, it's exactly like Ace Attorney.[/QUOTE]

I think the only revolutionary thing about this game is the mo cap. Still, it's a great game.

[quote name='nbballard']I finished the Fallen Idol case last night and I'm starting to come around a little bit. I think my main complaints with the game stem from the fact that the previews made it sound like they had revolutionized video games with the interrogation, when really, it's exactly like Ace Attorney.[/QUOTE]
Agreed, it's amazing how much this game plays like Ace Attorney. Which isn't a bad thing.

Just like most Rockstar releases the production values are high quality. Not too sure how much I will replay this though unless you open up new options after finishing the game. I tried going back to redo a case after finishing it the first time. And replaying the case makes you listen to all the banter and questions again. You cant skip anything. Made it VERY BORING.

Is there an option to skip sut scenes and questions/dailogue? This really needs it to make me want to go back through cases for different scenarios.

[quote name='wrencrest']Just like most Rockstar releases the production values are high quality. Not too sure how much I will replay this though unless you open up new options after finishing the game. I tried going back to redo a case after finishing it the first time. And replaying the case makes you listen to all the banter and questions again. You cant skip anything. Made it VERY BORING.

Is there an option to skip sut scenes and questions/dailogue? This really needs it to make me want to go back through cases for different scenarios.[/QUOTE]

Certain parts I could skip. I think x or o did it. Though really I was mashing them. The coroner was trying to tell me about a clue and it allowed me to move on, while I could hear his voice explaining behind me. Maybe because it was a clue and not an interview?

I don't know, trying some of the dlc cases in the future could prolong the replay value.

Turn off all the clue hints and auto aim...

And try it in black and white. I can't be the only one enjoying that. Makes me wish red dead redemption had a good black and white mode too, does it?

Hmm im six hours in to this game, and the initial appeal has worn off.

The driving, combat, and just open world aspects are piss poor. There is no real reward for solving a case; as you can just equally fail it without any repercussions.

The first couple hours was some of the best stuff since sliced bread, but now that new car smell has worn off. I will finish and sell asap...

[quote name='WongTongSoup']So the DLC is not available yet? I tried redeeming my codes online but it says no valid or something...[/QUOTE]
The store is still down so no DLC can be activated.

Some interesting notes about the trophies worldwide according to Rockstar Social Club:

No one has the Platinum Trophy yet
Only 22 people have the 100% game completion trophy
Only 175 people have 5-starred all cases
Only 3% of players are at the arson desk and only 5% are at the vice desk.
Most "failed" case is "The Fallen Idol" with just over 550k players getting a failing rating.

I guess the trophy giving people the most problems has to be the do $47k worth of damage during a case, right?

[quote name='D_Icon']Got the game at BB. Came with the preorder bonus and the $10 gift card. I used the card to get the guide. I can't see myself playing this game without it.

Quick question, when do I get to just drive around and explore?[/QUOTE]

After you complete a desk, you can enter Streets of LA mode during the events of that desk and drive around the city with whomever your partner is during that case to find the collectibles or find the street crimes (not all are available at once, they're divided between desks and only pop up during certain hours in-game.) You won't find any of the regular cases during this mode though.

[quote name='MSUHitman']d" case is "The Fallen Idol" with just over 550k players getting a failing rating.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense.

The tales on two of the interviews are really REALLY hard to read.

Also I thought the dialog was a bit misleading. In that, when you confronted someone about lying it didn't quite match up with what you/they had said before.

I'll have to replay it but it seemed it was something like:

"Do you know her?"

"Yes. She works with the producer".

"Give it up! I know there is more to it then that!"

"you're right! She and my wife are best friends!"

Something odd like that haha. If you just looked at the "do you know who she is" part, it seemed rather obvious that he did and that it was true... But it was a LIE and he KNOW knows her. :roll: So the answer to the question IS true but they want you to dig further and get "more truth".

[quote name='NamPaehc']That makes sense.

Also I thought the dialog was a bit misleading. In that, when you confronted someone about lying it didn't quite match up with what you/they had said before.

"Do you know her?"

Something odd like that haha. If you just looked at the "do you know who she is" part, it seemed rather obvious that he did and that it was true... But it was a LIE and he KNOW knows her. :roll: So the answer to the question IS true but they want you to dig further and get "more truth".[/QUOTE]

Yah, I had the same complaint with this case.

[quote name='NamPaehc']That makes sense.

"Do you know her?"

Something odd like that haha. If you just looked at the "do you know who she is" part, it seemed rather obvious that he did and that it was true... But it was a LIE and he KNOW knows her. :roll: So the answer to the question IS true but they want you to dig further and get "more truth".[/QUOTE]
The other problem I had with this case was that you have to tale the woman and then hide in the booth to listen in on her convo. This was a new mechanic and I didnt make it in time the first time. I can see that being a trouble spot for a lot of folks.

I am also getting very bored with this already. I feel like I will just get through the story once and then sell it. Unless they allow you to skip conversations later, it takes way too long to go through each case even on subsequent tries. I was able to skip a few cut scenes, but so far cant find a way to skip conversations with characters and cut them off whne I already know what they are going to say and what I need to answer with.

[quote name='D_Icon']I think people are taking this game the wrong way. It's not GTA, think of it as an interactive movie.[/QUOTE]
I completely excpected the interactive movie part. But thought I could take it more. But it doesnt look like I can. Especially if I cant skip conversations on subsequent playthroughs.

damn i still cant link my PS account to the social club. every time i try doing it through the game it keeps saying "wrong password" and when i try linking up through the website i get a "sorry there was a problem linking.." message. i like checking my stats on the social club this is pissin me off a bit.

alright i just got a case where i had to convict someone. i really didn't think any of the perps were guilty but i was forced to. kinda sucks about the game. anyone feel the same way??

[quote name='deletion']alright i just got a case where i had to convict someone. i really didn't think any of the perps were guilty but i was forced to. kinda sucks about the game. anyone feel the same way??[/QUOTE]

More of a sign of the time period. A conviction, right or wrong, makes the public feel better and boosts careers.

I am really trying to finish the story and get rid of this game. It is too slow for me. I guess my problem is that I can only play late at night and since there is no action I start falling asleep! I used to love these types of adventure games, but I have become an action junky it seems. Another reason getting old sucks.

[quote name='NamPaehc']More of a sign of the time period. A conviction, right or wrong, makes the public feel better and boosts careers.[/QUOTE]

guess that would make sense. but the way cole is being portrayed - a good honest cop - that he would just put a guy in prison or gas chamber without hard evidence, doesn't make sense. oh well, just a game. i shouldn't get too into it.

I don't know how much of a stand up guy the main character is. I'm not that far but he seemed like a bit of a jerk and suck up in the flash backs. I'm sure he has matured since those days but seemed like he is a by the books type who thinks they cover all the angles so they couldn't be wrong. But they can be, just can't see it. Which isn't a bad thing in some ways, makes him more real.

There are things I saw, like him staring at the singer during her performace. A little later he revealed he was married. Nothing wrong with checking out another woman but if he was a straight arrow boy scout I doubt he'd be having drinks alone and not home with the kids. Then again I'm early in the story so no clue where they might be.

[quote name='MSUHitman']After you complete a desk, you can enter Streets of LA mode during the events of that desk and drive around the city with whomever your partner is during that case to find the collectibles or find the street crimes (not all are available at once, they're divided between desks and only pop up during certain hours in-game.) You won't find any of the regular cases during this mode though.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm I've never had that option whenever I finish a case/desk it just takes me to the next case/desk.

[quote name='hustletron']Hmmm I've never had that option whenever I finish a case/desk it just takes me to the next case/desk.[/QUOTE]

You're only given the option once you beat it. From the main menu, instead of selecting 'resume', press either or up down (I forget) and it will bring you to 'cases'. From there you can select the various desks you've worked throughout the game, and from within those menus you can select 'free roam'.

i am the the case where you are finding the dhalia guy, where you travel to different locales (tar pits, museum, etC) to find the clues

how much longer do I have of this game? keep in mind, i dont do any of the sidemissions.

[quote name='gomikeoh']i am the the case where you are finding the dhalia guy, where you travel to different locales (tar pits, museum, etC) to find the clues

how much longer do I have of this game? keep in mind, i dont do any of the sidemissions.[/QUOTE]

I'd say you're about halfway playa.

So... will there be a patch soon for non-slim PS3 owners? It's been a week and I'm really paranoid to play it using my 60gb system.

Any updates on the overheating? I purchased LA Noire, but haven't had a chance to play and now that I'm ready I've seen all the "overheating" reports. I have a 80gb PS3 (fat). I really don't want to fry it since I have had absolutely no issues so far with anything else.

I love this game because it is very amazing and incredulous in the storyline. I have 80% completed game, and all I need to complete the street cases, vehicles, and tourist places to unlock the plantium trophy. :) I know guys love it!

[quote name='texasnightowl']Any updates on the overheating? I purchased LA Noire, but haven't had a chance to play and now that I'm ready I've seen all the "overheating" reports. I have a 80gb PS3 (fat). I really don't want to fry it since I have had absolutely no issues so far with anything else.[/QUOTE]

I played the game for 20 hours over the course of launch week on a July 07 60GB system with no issues. I think it's just like the old 360 days, any big game is going to have lots of reports of overheating older systems. I'll bet the same thing happens next week with Infamous 2.

Also don't get double charged for stuff. Once you buy the Rockstar Pass, go into the store option in the game's main menu screen (hit square when prompted) to download the Gamestop/Walmart cases, the 2 suits, and the Badge Pursuit Challenge. You do have to download the Chicago Gun and Consul's Car case seperately, however, from the PSN store.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Also don't get double charged for stuff. Once you buy the Rockstar Pass, go into the store option in the game's main menu screen (hit square when prompted) to download the Gamestop/Walmart cases, the 2 suits, and the Badge Pursuit Challenge. [/QUOTE]

Once you buy and install the pass the DLC in the normal store should have its price changed to free. Which is good, because the in-game store still locks up every time I open it.

I'm at the start of my summer break and I was looking for a game that I could just play for about four or five hours a day and beat during a rental period at Blockbuster. Does anyone who owns the game think this would be fun or is it only good in small doses? I don't want to feel fatigued if I'm gonna be playing the game as much as I can in a short amount of time.

[quote name='sotc1988']I'm at the start of my summer break and I was looking for a game that I could just play for about four or five hours a day and beat during a rental period at Blockbuster. Does anyone who owns the game think this would be fun or is it only good in small doses? I don't want to feel fatigued if I'm gonna be playing the game as much as I can in a short amount of time.[/QUOTE]
I just got around to starting it today and it's actually perfect for bite-sized gameplay. Just do a case or two when you feel like it.

This game is awesome. I've never played anything like it and it's incredibly rewarding when you get everything right. On my first case as detective, I aced it all except for I somehow missed one piece of evidence. I turned that damn house upside down, so wherever it was it can stay there lol. I'm hoping the cases get tougher later on because so far its just been open and shut cases.

Speaking of which, do these tend to run longer later on because I was looking over the stats and it says there's just 21 cases to solve. Seeing as 4 of them were the tutorial, that seems awfully short. I guess I could see it getting repetitive fast if there are too many, but so long as they're unique and interesting it should be fun. Definitely my GOTY so far.

[quote name='Jodou']I just got around to starting it today and it's actually perfect for bite-sized gameplay. Just do a case or two when you feel like it.

This game is awesome. I've never played anything like it and it's incredibly rewarding when you get everything right. On my first case as detective, I aced it all except for I somehow missed one piece of evidence. I turned that damn house upside down, so wherever it was it can stay there lol. I'm hoping the cases get tougher later on because so far its just been open and shut cases.

Speaking of which, do these tend to run longer later on because I was looking over the stats and it says there's just 21 cases to solve. Seeing as 4 of them were the tutorial, that seems awfully short. I guess I could see it getting repetitive fast if there are too many, but so long as they're unique and interesting it should be fun. Definitely my GOTY so far.[/QUOTE]

From Homicide and up the cases run a bit longer. You'll get about 15-20 hours of gameplay.

Driving around looking for street crimes is a pain in the ass now, I completed all the desks but it seems I can't locate more street crimes after the 14 I've done so far.

Do you have to choose free roam from each desk or does it matter? What am I doing wrong?

[quote name='hustletron']Driving around looking for street crimes is a pain in the ass now, I completed all the desks but it seems I can't locate more street crimes after the 14 I've done so far.

Do you have to choose free roam from each desk or does it matter? What am I doing wrong?[/QUOTE]

There are different street crimes for every desk. They should be available automatically when you open the free roam (i.e. just open up the map and look for the running man icons).

[quote name='Foxx']From Homicide and up the cases run a bit longer. You'll get about 15-20 hours of gameplay.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I just got to homicide, so we'll see.

I think my only complaint about this game is the interview process consistency. Just when I think I have the system figured out, they switch it on me. I'm trying to get 5*'s on each case my first time through and so far have, but there's some serious beginner's traps on some questions. Once I figure out the right answer, sometimes it still doesn't make sense how you'd logically conclude that answer. Now that my last case ran fairly long, it becomes extremely tedious having to restart which makes me question why you can't just restart from your last save (and now that I think about it, I probably should just be quitting via XMB if I fail a question lol). I mean, they do it for any time you die, so what's the point? It wouldn't be so bad if you could actually skip scenes, but having to sit through it over and over is just poor design.

It almost makes me want to use a cheat sheet if I'm not 100% sure I've nailed a response. But what's the fun in that? Bottom line is they made failing a question far too punishing for a completionist like me.

[quote name='Jodou']Yeah, I just got to homicide, so we'll see.

I think my only complaint about this game is the interview process consistency. Just when I think I have the system figured out, they switch it on me. I'm trying to get 5*'s on each case my first time through and so far have, but there's some serious beginner's traps on some questions. Once I figure out the right answer, sometimes it still doesn't make sense how you'd logically conclude that answer. Now that my last case ran fairly long, it becomes extremely tedious having to restart which makes me question why you can't just restart from your last save (and now that I think about it, I probably should just be quitting via XMB if I fail a question lol). I mean, they do it for any time you die, so what's the point? It wouldn't be so bad if you could actually skip scenes, but having to sit through it over and over is just poor design.

It almost makes me want to use a cheat sheet if I'm not 100% sure I've nailed a response. But what's the fun in that? Bottom line is they made failing a question far too punishing for a completionist like me.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way and because the way they have it set up, I'm probably not going to go back and 5 star all cases because it just takes way too long. I'm not even fully convinced I want to finish the rest of the street crimes I have left now that I've finished the story.

They don't even give you one of the cases that has trophies for free, I believe A Slip of the Tongue is 9.99 which is pretty lame as well.

The DLC cases are $4 each, or u can buy the Rockstar Pass and get all of them (2 now, 2 more by end of July) for $10.

You can replay any case by going to cases in the main menu and selecting that desk. It even makes a separate save file. It does shut off xp collecting though. Just beat the cases then worry about 5-starring them later.

Also you don't have to 5-star any of the downloadable cases to get the trophy.

Just finished homicide and I admit the game is starting to wear on me now. I've been nailing questions with ease now that I've picked up on how to game the system with lie accusations, so it's just a matter of collect evidence and show up to the interview. I appreciate the limitations a game like this must have, but it really falls into the same trap that Assassin's Creed did its first time out. Wide open world with nothing to do in it but the same redundant tasks.

It's strange that the game was in development for so long, yet it still feels rushed. I just get the feeling that there's not much payoff after a while of solving cases, because they are so anti-climatic. You put the finger on someone, your boss gives you praise, pats you on the back, and it's off to the next case. And to add to this, the end of homicide
is dumb. I was so sure the killer was my partner, but then some scrub I don't even recognize pops up and says "remember me?" So the Black Dhalia was some temp bartender I met somewhere in my previous cases? What a shitload of fuck. Maybe if they had shown flashbacks of him standing in the crowd near a crime scene, or standing outside the police station, or even had him bump into me a few times then it would have been epic. But no, just some lame ass guy I don't remember. To top it off, all the guys you convicted are being let off because they weren't the killer. Complete waste of time IMO.

I don't know, maybe it's apathy setting in because I'm tired of the same cases over and over. I wonder if the game would have been better as one large case, like a Se7en or LA Confidential. It seems like the game is building up to something great, but there's no indication at this point of such. I think had they put more effort into an overall story, the game would be more meaningful. Maybe they'll get it right with a sequel but I'm not sure I'd be interested at this point.

[quote name='Jodou']Just finished homicide and I admit the game is starting to wear on me now. I've been nailing questions with ease now that I've picked up on how to game the system with lie accusations, so it's just a matter of collect evidence and show up to the interview. I appreciate the limitations a game like this must have, but it really falls into the same trap that Assassin's Creed did its first time out. Wide open world with nothing to do in it but the same redundant tasks.

It's strange that the game was in development for so long, yet it still feels rushed. I just get the feeling that there's not much payoff after a while of solving cases, because they are so anti-climatic. You put the finger on someone, your boss gives you praise, pats you on the back, and it's off to the next case. And to add to this, the end of homicide
is dumb. I was so sure the killer was my partner, but then some scrub I don't even recognize pops up and says "remember me?" So the Black Dhalia was some temp bartender I met somewhere in my previous cases? What a shitload of fuck. Maybe if they had shown flashbacks of him standing in the crowd near a crime scene, or standing outside the police station, or even had him bump into me a few times then it would have been epic. But no, just some lame ass guy I don't remember. To top it off, all the guys you convicted are being let off because they weren't the killer. Complete waste of time IMO.

I don't know, maybe it's apathy setting in because I'm tired of the same cases over and over. I wonder if the game would have been better as one large case, like a Se7en or LA Confidential. It seems like the game is building up to something great, but there's no indication at this point of such. I think had they put more effort into an overall story, the game would be more meaningful. Maybe they'll get it right with a sequel but I'm not sure I'd be interested at this point.[/QUOTE]
All of what you just said is why I grew to hate this game. Really boring with no payoff. And having to sit through all conversations and most cust scenese again without being able to skip is ludicrous. What a drag and let down.

I think the game gets significantly more interesting once you finish the Homicide desk. (I'm midway through the Arson desk right now.)

Finished up my platinum for this and enjoyed every second. Gonna take a break for a couple of weeks before tackling the DLC.

FWIW, I figured out who the BD killer was midway through the second homicide case. The clues were dropped all through the homicide desk - you just had to pay attention.

Definitely a GOTY contender as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, but what is the point of figuring out who the BD killer is? You can't solve it early and stop any murders, plus some of them are copycats. That and I thought the Black Dhalia murders were never solved, so I wasn't even expecting to catch the serial killer.

The Vice desk was surprisingly short and uninteresting, so I'm hoping arson will be better tonight. And what the hell were they thinking by putting street crimes ALL THE GOD DAMN WAY ACROSS TOWN? I mean seriously, how does it make sense that I'd be the first responder to something on the other side of the map? I also got my first 4* rating because the jackass AI likes to dart across the road and just STOP in my way. $4k in car damages later and despite acing the case, they slap me with a lesser rating. Great job Phelps, you solved the case and saved lives but Mrs. B's car got mangled which is unacceptable.

fucking assholes.

You should definitely ignore the street crimes until you get done with the cases. You can always do them after and then fast travel to each of them.

Fairly sure the fast travel always goes to the custom waypoint first, so you should be able to fast travel to them in normal cases as well.

I can't believe telling your partner to drive was the fast travel option. Went the entire game not knowing that, because I always figured I would just have to sit there and watch him drive it. At least it will make cleaning up for the plat easy. : \

[quote name='Jodou']I can't believe telling your partner to drive was the fast travel option. Went the entire game not knowing that, because I always figured I would just have to sit there and watch him drive it. At least it will make cleaning up for the plat easy. : \[/QUOTE]

Yeah I thought it was rather ingenious when I did it the first time. Had the same thought but figured I could review the evidence while he drove. Only to go into the loading screen shortly after.

I died for the first time yesterday. Was walking to car and went to open the door and a car squeezed in along side. Causing Phelps to scream in pain and fall down dead dramatically. I laughed my head off as the other car was going like 2 miles an hour. Had forgotten about those silly little happenings in these open world titles.

Haha, I do that to my partner all the time just for the lulz. That and drive off as he opens the door lol. BTW, Rockstar's social club is awesome for tracking down everything you need for 100%. It also updates the moment your game saves, so F5 away.

so the game hit my price range again 25$ at Toys R Us pretty quick expected to have to wait a lot longer before i picked it up again now I can play all the added content. such a good game

I've been posting in the gameshare thread looking to buy a share to the LA Noire Rockstar pass. If anybody has a share or if we can get enough ppl for another group, pm me.

bread's done
Back